PDA

View Full Version : Dimension Door - in relation to each other?

Solexe
2011-01-23, 08:07 AM
Hey everyone!
I have a question about Dimension Door usage (under 3.5 rules)

While teleporting and bringing with yourself other creatures, do they appear at the same positions relative to you?

For example, i cast DD, one of my allies stands 5-ft north from me, the other is lying 5-ft east from me. We jump within the same room (line of sight), me saying "want to be There". Do my allies appear exactly 5-ft to the north and to the east from "There"?
Or maybe i can switch our order in any way, like jump out from the astral plane and put both of them to the north from me, in a line?
If you choose second, can i swap them around myself (maybe put one on the north side of me, and the other on the south) or make a line, each of allies touching each other and last one touching me (as it is said about the beginning of teleportation http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dimensiondoor.htm)

Thank you for answers!

ericgrau
2011-01-23, 08:15 AM
While it's not 100% clear, "brought with you" seems to imply same relative position, just like the gear you brought with you. Under the same interpretation it wouldn't be unreasonable to rotate the configuration of you and your ally or allies though. So if it's just you and 1 other guy you could arrive facing backwards and thus he would be on the other side of you, basically the same thing you wanted to do but in a more round-about way.

By fluff you travel through the astral plane instantly and appear in another spot. In 2e there was an actual door. IMO the above wouldn't be unreasonable by fluff either.

Solexe
2011-01-23, 10:59 AM
thank you, ericgrau! didn't think about whirling :3

any more opinions are still desired

Psyren
2011-01-23, 11:14 AM
I'm glad they removed the door - bit hard to open it and step through when you're being pinned or entangled.