PDA

View Full Version : Exalted Books?

mootoall
2011-01-23, 03:03 PM
So, I've heard some nice things about Exalted, and I'm a sucker for high power, so I'm looking into playing it! However, I've been unable to find mention of a "core" Exalted rulebook. Does such a thing exist? If so, where might I find it/what is the title? Can I play the game with only that book?

Leeham
2011-01-23, 03:11 PM
It's called Exalted Second edition I believe. And if you're OK with just Solar PCs, then yes, you only need the core book. It's very detailed, with a ton of information about the setting, and even the basic guidelines for rolling up other kinds of Exalts as antagonists. It's fantastic, really.

tanderson11
2011-01-23, 03:12 PM
There is a core book for exalted.

Here is the amazon entry for it: http://www.amazon.com/Exalted-Second-Alan-Alexander/dp/1588466841

As far as I know it is all you need, but I've never played and could be mistaken.

Yuki Akuma
2011-01-23, 03:30 PM
The core book is all you need if you want to play Solars.

If you want to play Abyssals, you need Manual of Exalted Power: Abyssals. If you want to play Lunars, you need Manual of Exalted Power: Lunars. If you want to play Sidereals.. you get the idea.

Other books contain stuff like more artifacts, guidelines for creating custom artifacts, more spells, more in-depth rules for manses, setting information, stuff like that. None of it is strictly neccessary... Unless you want to play a Necromancer, in which case you require The White & Black Treatise.

Kyeudo
2011-01-23, 03:33 PM
So, I've heard some nice things about Exalted, and I'm a sucker for high power, so I'm looking into playing it! However, I've been unable to find mention of a "core" Exalted rulebook. Does such a thing exist? If so, where might I find it/what is the title? Can I play the game with only that book?

Just be warned: when we say that Exalted is high power, we mean high power. In D&D, you start playing rocket tag at lvl 10. In Exalted, rocket tag starts at character creation.

mootoall
2011-01-23, 03:34 PM
Just be warned: when we say that Exalted is high power, we mean high power. In D&D, you start playing rocket tag at lvl 10. In Exalted, rocket tag starts at character creation.

I look forward to it :smallbiggrin: I assume this means there's a considerable learning curve?

Yuki Akuma
2011-01-23, 03:36 PM
I look forward to it :smallbiggrin: I assume this means there's a considerable learning curve?

Not really. It takes some practice to make exceptionally powerful characters, but in most cases you shouldn't need them.

TheCountAlucard
2011-01-23, 03:38 PM
I assume this means there's a considerable learning curve?The learning curve isn't too cumbersome ("Perfect defenses!"), but you should avoid the paranoid mind-set it will instill entirely. Having experienced it first-hand, let me tell you that it makes the game unfun when you do that. And don't let it turn into a war of escalation.

Drascin
2011-01-23, 03:41 PM
Well, Rocket Tag at character creation is more due to Exalted characters being able to take very, very little damage compared with what everything deals out than with overwhelming power.

But yes, there is a certain learning curve, but it's less due to the power and more due to the fact that White Wolf doesn't seem to actually have editors, so the rules organization is terrible :smalltongue:. You should try to make sure your first game is with at least one person who already knows the rules, so he can help you and point to you how things fit.

Reynard
2011-01-23, 03:41 PM
Also, get the Scroll of Errata for free via DriveThruRPG.

Seriously.

Kylarra
2011-01-23, 03:45 PM
Also remember that as with all point buy systems, same number of point != same amount of power, so try to build with your group to approximately the same amount of effectiveness since Exalted, again as with most pb systems, is easily broken if you want to.

Xefas
2011-01-23, 08:27 PM
Also, get the Scroll of Errata for free via DriveThruRPG.

Seriously.

Or, if you don't want to go through the hassle of making an account there, you can just download it immediately from mediafire (http://www.mediafire.com/?dkfaa33ddsdf9r6).

Your patronage gives me mote respiration.

TheOOB
2011-01-23, 09:29 PM

There is a bit of a learning curve. The exalted system is very fun and original, but frankly, like much of White Wolfs work, it is not very mechanically sound. The combat time system and DV penalties take a lot of book keeping, many of the mechanics use bizarre or unrelated rules, and some things are just overly complex(there are ten steps for a basic attack, and many of them can't be skipped past). Add this to the charm system which cases most newcomers to be locked in the 1000-yard stares for a few minutes makes you have your work cut out for you.

That said, I do love exalted, it is really fun, and has a lot of good ideas, it's just a little clunky is all.

And so there is no confusion, the Exalted 2e core book(the solar book) is REQUIRED to play any type of character, though it only provides rules for mortals and Solar Exalts. There are other types of books that allow other types of players(even Fair Folk), and many books which expand rules in certain areas.