PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Weapon Material Question

Aemoh87
2011-01-23, 05:44 PM
I have heard through the grapevine that you can make a weapon out of 2 different materials. Is this possible using WotC rules?

If it is can you tell me where I could find it so I can reference it to the DM if he asks?

HunterOfJello
2011-01-23, 05:48 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialmaterials.htm

If you make a suit of armor or weapon out of more than one special material, you get the benefit of only the most prevalent material. However, you can build a double weapon with each head made of a different special material.

This doesn't seem to be viable from the info that the SRD and DMG provide.

Aemoh87
2011-01-23, 05:57 PM
Well I am looking for a way to toss Platinum on a Wep with another material, preferably the one from BoED that lets you put your weapon back together so my DM can't sunder it to death.

sonofzeal
2011-01-23, 06:13 PM
Well I am looking for a way to toss Platinum on a Wep with another material, preferably the one from BoED that lets you put your weapon back together so my DM can't sunder it to death.
Nope. "Metalline" is the only way to combine metals I know of, but it doesn't work for your purpose.

Elfin
2011-01-23, 06:17 PM
But I'd very strongly recommend getting a metalline weapon if you don't want to invest in Shards of Granite or the like.

sonofzeal
2011-01-23, 06:30 PM
But I'd very strongly recommend getting a metalline weapon if you don't want to invest in Shards of Granite or the like.
Metalline is +2 and only works for metal-based DR.

Shadow Striking is +3 and works on all DR. That's worth it, IMO. Metalline isn't.

Elfin
2011-01-23, 06:32 PM
Shadow Striking? I've never actually, erm, heard of it before. :smallredface:
Can't believe I missed something like that...where is it from?

sonofzeal
2011-01-23, 06:39 PM
Shadow Striking? I've never actually, erm, heard of it before. :smallredface:
Can't believe I missed something like that...where is it from?
Tome of Magic.

Keld Denar
2011-01-23, 06:40 PM
Transmuting (MIC, +2) is the best. It doesn't work on the first hit, but every other hit after the first for 10 rounds automatically adapts to overcome any DR except X/- and X/Epic. Subsequent hits refresh this duration, so unless there is an extended lul in combat or you are switching beteen different flavors of DR, you should be good.

As far as what the OP asked for...There is a 3rd party book with the property "Laminated", which actually does allow you to combine materials in a meaningful way. I forget which book, so you might have to do some googling, unless someone else here knows. Good luck.

senrath
2011-01-23, 06:41 PM
I think there's a 3rd party supplement with rules on how to do this, but you can't with only WotC material.

Edit: Ninja'd. But you reminded me of the book it's from. Mercenaries, from Alderac Entertainment Group

Assassin89
2011-01-23, 06:49 PM
You can make a double weapon out of two different materials, but you can only make each side of the weapon out of a different material, not one side out of two different materials. It's probably more of a pain to improve them later, though.

Aemoh87
2011-01-23, 06:50 PM
Yeah I have acquired the 3rd party book. I still haven't read the part about it, but with my cleric build Platinum goes a long way and of course is blingin with the ladies. Might have to buy a weapon chain to put it on...

Thurbane
2011-01-23, 08:07 PM
From memory, when I glanced at the book in question, the Laminated property doesn't actually work the way some people would like it to. I believe it is a property that specifies that it is a folded combo of two metals (ruling out things like Kaorti resin), and even speficies what those metals are. I think the way some people would like it to read is "combine the properties of any two special materials"...

Ashram
2011-01-23, 08:27 PM
You could always talk to your DM about homebrewing a dual-metal alloy weapon. Be prepared for ridiculous expensiveness, though, and possibly a trek to find someone amazing enough to do crazy metallurgy like this.

Sintanan
2011-01-23, 11:43 PM
...and possibly a trek to find someone amazing enough to do crazy metallurgy like this.

Or have an artificer in the party. :smalltongue:

Ashram
2011-01-23, 11:45 PM
Or have an artificer in the party. :smalltongue:

...Okay, barring that. :smalltongue:

Aemoh87
2011-01-23, 11:50 PM
I found a third party group that essentially you triple the cost of both metals and that is how you do it, taking the best hardness and hp as well as abilities from both.