PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Dex. To Damage

Flob
2011-01-23, 06:30 PM
It's been quite a long time since I've posted, so please excuse the boring topic. It seems that I'm in need of assistance again. I am making a Half-Elf Fighter in Pathfinder, and using the Elven Curve Blade. I want to get Dexterity to damage. I'm trying to convince my GM to change the feat "Dervish Dance (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/dervish-dance-combat)", which lets you get Dexterity to damage with a scimitar, to be used with an Elven Curve Blade instead, but if that fails, is there some other way to get it?

GM's already kind of pissed at me, so no more "just talk to him, I'm sure he'll understand". Thank you all.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-01-23, 06:57 PM
There is no other way, unless he allows 3.5 material... Champion of Corellan from Complete Adventurers I think. Its a PrC, btw.

Mecharious
2011-01-23, 07:54 PM
It's from races of the wild.

wolfdy
2012-11-12, 02:49 AM
This may help u

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/magic-weapon-special-abilities/agile

Nabirius
2012-11-12, 11:54 AM
Also 3.5 the tome of battle. The shadow blade feat adds Dex to Dmg if you are in a shadow hand stance.

GoatToucher
2012-11-12, 01:56 PM
I would be opposed to such a feat. All Strength does is influence to hit and damage. Dexterity is useful for AC and saves. To shift both to hit and damage to Dex makes it the stat ridiculously overpowered for the price of a couple of feats.

North_Ranger
2012-11-12, 01:58 PM
Two words: Composite Longbow.

eggs
2012-11-12, 02:08 PM
Two words: Composite Longbow.

I think you need more words than that to turn it into Dex-based damage.

Anyway, X stat to Y bonus (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732). Open the Dex spoiler, alphabetize by bonus, and you're there.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-11-12, 02:13 PM
Also 3.5 the tome of battle. The shadow blade feat adds Dex to Dmg if you are in a shadow hand stance.

You forgot that you also have to be using a Shadow hand weapon, which IIRC are daggers, shortswords, unarmed strikes, spiked chain and... I am sure oneof the special monk weapons.

grarrrg
2012-11-12, 03:48 PM
This may help u

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/magic-weapon-special-abilities/agile

What he said.
Agile enchantment lets you get DEX to damage with any Finesse-able weapon.
Minor downside to using the Elven Curve Blade though, is that you can NOT get 1.5x DEX to damage, you only get a straight =DEX to damage.

Currently the Agile Enchantment, and the Dervish Dance feat are the only ways to get DEX to Damage in Pathfinder.

chaos_redefined
2012-11-12, 06:43 PM
I would be opposed to such a feat. All Strength does is influence to hit and damage. Dexterity is useful for AC and saves. To shift both to hit and damage to Dex makes it the stat ridiculously overpowered for the price of a couple of feats.

Not true. For starters, your strength also affects your carrying capacity, which is why gnome wizards shouldn't dump strength entirely. They get to the point where all they can carry is their spellbook.

Next off, 2 feats is a noteworthy investment. Pathfinder alleviated this a bit by giving players 11 feats instead of 7, but you're still talking ~18% of their feats.

Finally, we're talking about melee. You're worried about making melee guys stronger? OK... I'll be in the back using my intelligence score to make giant black tentacles appear and grapple my enemies. I kinda like have a con and dex score, but they aren't mandatory. Everything else is meh.

gartius
2012-11-12, 07:43 PM
Currently the Agile Enchantment, and the Dervish Dance feat are the only ways to get DEX to Damage in Pathfinder.

There is the Aldori Swordlord (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/a-b/aldori-swordlord) which gets dex to damages as well. However this does not help as this only gives the aldori sword dex damage so the agile enchantment is the best way to do this.

However OP the only major issue is with damage dice (1d10 compared to 1d6) Is it worth it to give up a small boost to damage in order to keep with the concept that you want? You can just fluff the scimitar to be an elven curved blade that is smaller but mechanically is the scimitar.

grarrrg
2012-11-12, 08:51 PM
There is the Aldori Swordlord (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/a-b/aldori-swordlord) which gets dex to damages as well. However this does not help as this only gives the aldori sword dex damage so the agile enchantment is the best way to do this.

I did miss that one.
But, as you said, it is quite not-optimal.
Minimum level 6 (as it is a Prestige class, 5 to qualify, 1 to enter).
Need 4 feat to qualify (kinda only 3, as if your looking at DEX you'll have Weapon Finesse already).
3 Skill with 3 ranks each, 1 skill with 5 ranks.
Only works with Aldori Dueling Sword.
Only works with _one_ Aldori Dueling Sword and NOTHING in your Off-Hand.

Yeah...
I think I'll stick with my Weapon Finesse at level 1, and then Dervish Dance at level 2, or Agile when I can afford it thank you.

Ravens_cry
2012-11-12, 10:46 PM
Gunslinger gets it for a chosen gun type (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/gunslinger#TOC-Gun-Training-Ex-) at level 5.

ThiagoMartell
2012-11-12, 11:07 PM
Only works with _one_ Aldori Dueling Sword and NOTHING in your Off-Hand.

Uh... isn't that the case for Dervish Dance as well?

Ravens_cry
2012-11-12, 11:16 PM
How would wearing spiked armour interact with either?

Nabirius
2012-11-13, 12:40 AM
You forgot that you also have to be using a Shadow hand weapon, which IIRC are daggers, shortswords, unarmed strikes, spiked chain and... I am sure oneof the special monk weapons.

The sai.

Also to the guy who said that Dex to Damage is Overpowered. I would ask him, relative to what? If it overpowered compared to the ability to disintegrate someone or their equipment? Is it OP compared to Shock Trooper + Power attack. Honestly all dex -> dmg does is make a character a little less MAD, its nothing to freak out over.

grarrrg
2012-11-13, 12:56 AM
Uh... isn't that the case for Dervish Dance as well?

Yes.
But Dervish Dance does not require you to take levels in a "meh" PrC, that requires a few questionable feats, up to and including, "Exotic Weapon Prof".

Also, the weapon stats are very similar, the only real difference being Scimitar is 1d6, 18-20/x2, and Aldori is 1d8, 19-20/x2
(and yes, while you can use an Aldori as a Martial>Longsword, doing it that way means you cannot Finesse it).

Also, Dervish Dance can be had as early as level 1 (with Dervish Dancer Bard archetype), level 2 if you get a Bonus feat, or level 3 otherwise.
Aldori cannot come online until 6th at the earliest.

For me it goes:
Agile weapon > Dervish Dance > Aldori

ThiagoMartell
2012-11-13, 01:28 AM
I think Swordlord is a pretty good prc for a Fighter with the Swordlord archetype, but that's very niche anyway. I was just pointing out how you mentioned something as being a disadvantage of Swordlord x Dervish Dance, while it happens in both cases.