PDA

View Full Version : Rulebooks as Ranged Weapons

Chess435
2011-01-23, 06:43 PM
Out of curiousity, have any of you DM's out there got so fed up with a player that you threw a rulebook at them? (Or the other way around? :smalltongue:) I hear jokes about this kind of things on these forums from time to time, but has anyone ever actually done it?

Ravens_cry
2011-01-23, 06:44 PM
I hope not, that's physical assault.
Though someone here did get stabbed once . . .

The Big Dice
2011-01-23, 06:51 PM
I've never thrown a rulebook at someone else, but I have hit myself in the head with a GURPS Basic Set. A hardback one at that.

Chess435
2011-01-23, 06:59 PM
I've never thrown a rulebook at someone else, but I have hit myself in the head with a GURPS Basic Set. A hardback one at that.

What did you do to earn that?:smalltongue:

Edit: *facepalm* didn't see that you hit yourself :smallredface:

Saint GoH
2011-01-23, 07:00 PM
Deal 540 damage (on average) a round, every round, at ECL 11 and you will get swatted at. Guaranteed.

My Master Thrower build got a DMG swung at me. Now I have to run my builds by the DM before I get to play them :smallsigh:

senrath
2011-01-23, 07:00 PM
No, but I've thrown dice at people who are overly disruptive.

Mercenary Pen
2011-01-23, 07:04 PM
I wouldn't throw books at people for two reasons:

1- I'm an absolutely abysmal shot
2- I'd prefer to demand that they tear up their own character sheet (and I'd save that demand for cases of outright rule-breaking).

Claudius Maximus
2011-01-23, 07:34 PM
I once refused to play a game of Magic: The Gathering with my brother, so he threw my 3.0 Monster Manual at me. Knocked all the pages out of the book and busted some keys off of a piano.

druid91
2011-01-23, 09:39 PM
At my old gaming group we had something called the d20 of doom. It was a fist sized d20 that would be thrown by the dm at offending players. Or at least that was the theory, he never actually threw it

Paseo H
2011-01-23, 09:41 PM

I agree completely.

Ilmryn
2011-01-23, 09:43 PM
At my old gaming group we had something called the d20 of doom. It was a fist sized d20 that would be thrown by the dm at offending players. Or at least that was the theory, he never actually threw it

My dm has a fist-sized steel d20. I hope I never make him mad:smalleek:

Knaight
2011-01-23, 09:49 PM

That depends. If someone were to lightly toss the Savage Worlds Rulebook (Its maybe 8 mm thick, paperback, and extremely light) at someone, then its a gesture. If someone were to lob the HERO book at someone as hard as they can, then its probably still a gesture as HERO is so rules heavy that it would fly about 20 cm before it hit table. Etc.

Ravens_cry
2011-01-23, 09:51 PM
Ooh, the gaming store has at least one of those, green with white numerals. One player actually plays with it.
There is also the foam ones over twice the size but much less lethal if thrown.

Lateral
2011-01-23, 09:53 PM
I chucked the d20 SRD at one of my players once. Yes, the online website one.

Don't ask; it was complicated.

Ravens_cry
2011-01-23, 09:57 PM
That depends. If someone were to lightly toss the Savage Worlds Rulebook (Its maybe 8 mm thick, paperback, and extremely light) at someone, then its a gesture. If someone were to lob the HERO book at someone as hard as they can, then its probably still a gesture as HERO is so rules heavy that it would fly about 20 cm before it hit table. Etc.
The larger specimens can have a surprising amount of muscle under the layers laid down by cheetos and mountain dew and achieve considerable velocity and distance with even the most rules heavy gaming tomes. Hardbacks HURT.

Brendan
2011-01-23, 10:00 PM
I'm lucky enough to say that while I may have earned a throw from my DM more than once, he is both a pacifist and barely strong enough to throw the DMG two feet.

druid91
2011-01-23, 10:00 PM
I chucked the d20 SRD at one of my players once. Yes, the online website one.

Don't ask; it was complicated.

Fixed that.

How on earth did you chuck an online document at someone?

Brendan
2011-01-23, 10:02 PM
How on earth did you chuck an online document at someone?

I bet the internet would leave a nasty bruise.

Paseo H
2011-01-23, 10:13 PM
That depends. If someone were to lightly toss the Savage Worlds Rulebook (Its maybe 8 mm thick, paperback, and extremely light) at someone, then its a gesture.

:smalleek:

:smallyuk:

Wait...what?

Lateral
2011-01-23, 10:16 PM
He e-mailed me his character sheet (from his house down the block); it was full of backstory holes and impossibly powerful cheese. And I had EXPLICITLY told him to keep the optimization down because the other players were pretty new at the game. I took my laptop, walked down the street, went up to his room, and e-mailed him an e-mail from outside his door that read "You deserved that. There is no way I'm letting you make that PC. Especially when I told you to keep CRAP LIKE THIS OUT OF THE GAME FOR YOUR TEAMMATES' SAKES."

I then opened up the SRD on Safari, walked in, bashed him over the head with my laptop, said 'check your email', and walked out.

It was HILARIOUS. :smallamused:

snoopy13a
2011-01-23, 10:19 PM
Though someone here did get stabbed once . . .

It's only assault if you miss. If you hit them, then it is battery :smalltongue:

druid91
2011-01-23, 10:23 PM
He e-mailed me his character sheet (from his house down the block); it was full of backstory holes and impossibly powerful cheese. And I had EXPLICITLY told him to keep the optimization down because the other players were pretty new at the game. I took my laptop, walked down the street, went up to his room, and e-mailed him an e-mail from outside his door that read "You deserved that. There is no way I'm letting you make that PC. Especially when I told you to keep CRAP LIKE THIS OUT OF THE GAME FOR YOUR TEAMMATES' SAKES."

I then opened up the SRD on Safari, walked in, bashed him over the head with my laptop, said 'check your email', and walked out.

I'm torn between bemoaning the poor laptops pain, and laughing my head off.:smallbiggrin:

Ravens_cry
2011-01-23, 10:25 PM
It's only assault if you miss. If you hit them, then it is battery :smalltongue:
I always wondered what the distinction was. Now I got to wonder about the etymology.

Drynwyn
2011-01-23, 10:25 PM
I have not done this... I would never throw an expensive sourcebook. In instead use Twilight books: Heavy, hardback, and it reallyndoesn't matter if half the pages fall out since that will probably make the book better.

druid91
2011-01-23, 10:31 PM
I have not done this... I would never throw an expensive sourcebook. In instead use Twilight books: Heavy, hardback, and it reallyndoesn't matter if half the pages fall out since that will probably make the book better.

But then you'd have only parts of the ridiculous and pointless romance!:smalleek:

Your curiosity would eat you alive!:smallmad:

Yes I realize they aren't that good, but even not finishing something bad irks me.

Pentachoron
2011-01-23, 10:33 PM
I always wondered what the distinction was. Now I got to wonder about the etymology.

It actually depends on the state/country. For example Kansas only has Battery and covers both A&B.

I've never had a rulebook thrown at me, but I've had one used in melee against me for excessive game related puns.

snoopy13a
2011-01-23, 10:50 PM
It actually depends on the state/country. For example Kansas only has Battery and covers both A&B.

I've never had a rulebook thrown at me, but I've had one used in melee against me for excessive game related puns.

Yeah, statutes about them get confusing. But under the "common law" battery is intentional harmful or offensive contact* while assault is when you intentionally cause another to reasonably apprehend harmful or offensive contact.

* Intent in battery can be "transferred intent." For example, if DM A throws a rulebook at Player B but misses and hits Player C then A has committed the tort of assault against B and the tort of battery against C even though A did not "intend" to hit C.

DisgruntledDM
2011-01-23, 11:49 PM
I would throw the Pathfinder Core Rulebook, since it's huge, but it's kinda fragile. I have thrown dice, once and threatened to bring an actual sword.

Volos
2011-01-24, 02:01 AM
A player of mine started running a game of his own on the side, which I fully supported. It was a fun game between friends until some guy came in and built a character using all 3rd party material. He will not play anything else. Furthermore he forgot to ask if he could run with this insane combination of randomness. So we got about halfway through the game session when he suddenly delcared that he absorbed the spell that the mind flayer guard had casted on him to see if there was any magic items on his person. He then proceeded to fire back with the built up spell energy. The new DM got so pissed that he took the player's sheet, tore it into four pieces, beat it into the table with his DMG and then proceeded to do terrible things to his character in game (Which involved the mind flayer captian throwing a rulebook at the PC, a rulebook that was the size of a house) before kicking him out of the group. We applauded, as this particular player had done this in other games and we were tired of his face, amoung other things.

I once got so pissed with a player that I took his sheet and set it on fire while describing the most painful death I could think of for his character. What he did will not be spoken of, as it was far too great an offence. It is not that I fear uttering those words, but I fear those who might follow in his foolish footsteps. In short, one does not manipulate the rules to kill everyone on the material plane. The gods are constantly scrying for this sort of thing, and will kill all of your ancestors to stop it. He claimed I had no in game way of stoping him, so I threw Deities and Demigods at him after my description of his death (or rather unmaking) was complete.

ffone
2011-01-24, 02:07 AM
Deal 540 damage (on average) a round, every round, at ECL 11 and you will get swatted at. Guaranteed.

My Master Thrower build got a DMG swung at me. Now I have to run my builds by the DM before I get to play them :smallsigh:

Neat! Mind sharing some details about those build(s)?

Sintanan
2011-01-24, 02:32 AM
It wasn't a rulebook, but it was a d30...

Oh, and I can't play full casters (clerics, druids, wizards, sorcs, etc) in the group anymore... :smallamused:

Combat Reflexes
2011-01-24, 11:28 AM
Most of the time I'm the DM, but I have never thrown rulebooks at people. I do, however, have a big, spongy d20 the size of a football to toss at disrupting people - and all my players are disrupting people :smalltongue:

Seriously, players are like Vikings. They loot everything that's not Sovereign glued to the floor and and always forget their characters are actually unconscious, asleep, paralyzed, somewhere else etc. etc.

Psyren
2011-01-24, 11:35 AM

10/10, would read again

Also, why throw precious rulebooks when there's much cheaper snacks to toss instead?

Scarlet-Devil
2011-01-24, 11:51 AM
Mm, my DM used to throw fits where he would sweep books off the table and occasionally throw one at us... Always rules related, usually involving magic, probably nothing that would be considered extreme cheese by today's standards though.

Jarrick
2011-01-25, 12:47 AM
I once parried a punch with a rulebook and then accidentally elbowed the guy in the teeth. :smalltongue:

Our players often bring actual weapons (swords, knives, etc, not guns) to the session, so there's a lot of pointing those around. Never any thrown books though. I'm pretty OCD about my books, since they arent in print anymore. :smallfrown:

Scarlet-Devil
2011-01-25, 12:50 AM
@Jarrick: I love your signature quote; good call :smallwink:.

Jarrick
2011-01-25, 12:51 AM
Thank you. I love your avatar. :smallbiggrin:

Vknight
2011-01-25, 01:05 AM
I actually wacked one of my players thrice all times for good reason.
Same Player
First he likes to hit the other players when they argue with him but they'll hit him back so he has stopped after I took a Rolled up magazine to the back of his head.

The Second time was when he sent a letter into 'Critical Hit' in which he lied saying I disliked him & that the other players hate him. Only 1player actively hates him & its for a good reason. The others just have no respect from his hitting thing. Not we all listen to Critical Hit so we all heard it. Knocked him upside the head with the Pocket sized Muntats & Masterminds power book.

The third incident was caused when we played Mutants & Masterminds. His character sucked, I mean really really sucked. He blamed everyone else for this. His powers were all in horrible opposition & he spread them to thin leaving him without much force & to many things to choose from. He got smaked by my Lucky Green d20; its no longer lucky.

All in all he is a good player though ironically he just needs restraint & maybe respect for his peers.

The Mentalist
2011-01-25, 02:13 AM
Also, why throw precious rulebooks when there's much cheaper snacks to toss instead?

Because if you throw snacks they think you're feeding them and repeat the offensive behavior.