PDA

View Full Version : New character ideas for Greyhawk Setting

ranger557
2011-01-23, 06:56 PM
hey guys, I'm starting a new character in my friend's campaign and the setting is Greyhawk, all books are available. However, i don't know what to really play...lol. In the past i've played melee characters and maybe one caster or so, and a ranged character. you guys got any crazy ideas on what would be fun characters to try out? We are starting at lvl 5.

Toliudar
2011-01-23, 07:03 PM
A little more guidance would be helpful. Do you know where the campaign is starting? Where in the timeline you're starting? Do you have any inkling you'd like to play.

Here are a few random thoughts:

A trained 'assassin' (actual class more likely to be psion, monk or rogue) of the Scarlet Brotherhood, who botched a recent assignment and is now on the run, and laying low by travelling around incognito with a bunch of heavily armed hobos.

An arrogant priest of Pholtus who thinks it's his job to keep everybody else alive - which he does primarily not through healing, but through pointing out everything they do wrong.

A street fighter type, born and raised in Dyvers, who's out to prove that his is the REAL cosmopolitan hub and that Greyhawk's reputation is vastly over-rated.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-01-23, 07:04 PM
ive always liked the idea of an Elf ranger who takes the archery path, takes Companion Guard Style (use to DEX to attack with longspears and longswords, +2 to confirm crits with longbows) and Power Attack (for the Longspear and longsword).

Possibly Combat Reflexes to get lots of AoO with the Longspear.

This way you are a good switch hitter, capable at both melee and ranged. The Ranger spells got a big boost in the Spell Compendium, and actually are somewhat worthy for only being half casters.

Also, if your DM will Re-flavor the Forgotten Realms feat Sword of The Arcane Order (to a different, more appropriate god(dess) of magic) you could cast wizard spells too. Ask him to reflavor Shooting Star substitution levels too, while you are at it. :smallbiggrin:

Both the Sword of The Arcane Order (SoTAO) and the shooting star sub levels can be found in Champions of Valor.

Thurbane
2011-01-23, 08:05 PM
If you've done melee, and casting, then maybe you want to try a skillmoney?

Rogue, Factotum and Beguiler are all solid choices - Beguiler has the added bonus of also being a full caster.

Other than that, I always recommend Binder from ToM - it's a fun class that is really versatile, and can change his focus every day...

ranger557
2011-01-23, 11:57 PM
A little more guidance would be helpful. Do you know where the campaign is starting? Where in the timeline you're starting? Do you have any inkling you'd like to play.

Here are a few random thoughts:

A trained 'assassin' (actual class more likely to be psion, monk or rogue) of the Scarlet Brotherhood, who botched a recent assignment and is now on the run, and laying low by travelling around incognito with a bunch of heavily armed hobos.

An arrogant priest of Pholtus who thinks it's his job to keep everybody else alive - which he does primarily not through healing, but through pointing out everything they do wrong.

A street fighter type, born and raised in Dyvers, who's out to prove that his is the REAL cosmopolitan hub and that Greyhawk's reputation is vastly over-rated.

Im not sure of all the details, but i know we are playing the expedition of castle greyhawk. Also i guess im more incline to melee characters, just never got the hang of the caster role, though i know you can be pretty epic powerful with magic lol.