PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5] Chameleon build help.

Vin Robinson
2011-01-23, 07:59 PM
Hey playground. I'm about to start up a campaign and I need some build advice.

I would like to get a good Chameleon build, but I need help with feat selection, stats, etc.

Stats are 30 Point Buy, and the Pathfinder system for skills, so class skills don't really matter all that much for getting into Chameleon.

There are a few parameters. As part of my backstory I have to have my first level be Rogue, and my second level be Fighter. All variants allowed.

I also need Able Learner at level 1.

I would like to make this character as versatile as possible. I've been kicking around several feat choices like Jotunbrund to help with all my combat maneuvers, Craven for Sneak Attacking Goodness, and later on possibly Imperious Command.

As personal preference, I won't be dipping into Tomb of Battle or Tomb of Magic. I would also like to keep my BAB relatively high until level 6 when I take my first level of Chameleon.

Some builds would be greatly appreciate. Or even feat help that's low investment, high reward.

As for my character's Style, I'll be toting mainly a longsword.

I like the idea of Spring Attack but I don't know if I'll have the feats.

We will be starting at level 7.

Thanks a bunch, guys.

The-Mage-King
2011-01-23, 08:08 PM
As personal preference, I won't be dipping into Tomb of Battle or Tomb of Magic. I would also like to keep my BAB relatively high until level 6 when I take my first level of Chameleon.

Well, if you won't use Tomb of Battle, whatever that is, why not use Tome of Battle? [/English Major]

gbprime
2011-01-23, 08:15 PM
I worked up a build for a friend that took Swashbuckler 3 / Factotum 2 before jumping into Chameleon for 10 levels and finishing with 5 more factotum levels. Lots of INT synergy there.

sonofzeal
2011-01-23, 08:19 PM
Could you consider Factotum instead of Rogue? They make a much spiffier entry to Chameleon, and are pretty close analogues otherwise. Heck, if it's just a story thing, a Factotum can pretty closely emulate a Fighter/Rogue as they tend to be a little more direct than Rogues in their combat style since they don't have to depend on Sneak Attack.

Vin Robinson
2011-01-23, 08:25 PM
Ah, Factotum would be lovely, but that much int-synergy has been banned from the table. Sorry I forgot to mention it. It's really late here. (tomb of battle :smallsigh: )

gbprime
2011-01-23, 08:30 PM
Double dipping an 18 INT is game breaking? Huh.

At 7th level, Swash3/Factotum2/Chameleon2 with Combat Focus, Knowledge Devotion, and 2 wpn fighting could pull off two attacks at +10 to hit doing 1d6+8 or even 1d6+12 a few times a fight. That's too much?

dextercorvia
2011-01-23, 08:31 PM
I like that. In a similar vein, there is Factotum3/Duskblade2, with more Factotum after Chameleon. This eventually gets the extra Standard Action ability (I'm blanking on the name).

It's Rogueish/Fighterish without using those classes. Did your character graduate from Fighter school or something, or can you apply the fluff to similar classes?

If not, then there isn't anything wrong with Rogue1/Fighter1*/Rogue+2/CloisteredCleric1**/Chameleon10

* Sneak Attack+Thug Variants
** Pick domains for their abilities, like Magic, Luck, and Pride?

Knowledge Devotion would rock if you take any class with all knowledge skills early enough.

Bard5 is a great entry, too.

sonofzeal
2011-01-23, 08:36 PM
Ah, Factotum would be lovely, but that much int-synergy has been banned from the table. Sorry I forgot to mention it. It's really late here. (tomb of battle :smallsigh: )
......they ban Int-SAD? What about Wizards then? =S

Vin Robinson
2011-01-24, 05:32 AM
Factotum is banned because he would play it cheesed up to the exclusion of all other things. He's now playing a Wizard and I expect similar things.

I think I might just go Rogue 3 / Thug Fighter 2. 2D6 SA, good amount of skill points, +4 BAB, Two Feats, and Evasion. Not a bad bet. (although I would gain Evasion from Mimic Class Feature so I don't know.)

Our DM uses NPC casters very intelligently, and I'm worried about my saves. Any idea how to boost my crappy Will save with minimal investment?

Escheton
2011-01-24, 05:44 AM
Ok, so int synergy is right out, how about cha synergy?

Taking 3 marshall lvls gives you Motivate Intelligence (cha to search and disable, plus those spiffy knowledges) and Art of War(cha to trip, grapple, disarm etc). Getting 2 paladin levels(refluffed fighter if need be) adds that same cha mod to your saves.
Dump wis and take the feat Force of Personality to replace wisdom with charisma on you willsaves so you can put those statpoints where you need it.

You can still take rogue at lvl 1, or trapfinding ranger for that matter.

dextercorvia
2011-01-24, 10:28 AM
Factotum is banned because he would play it cheesed up to the exclusion of all other things. He's now playing a Wizard and I expect similar things.

I think I might just go Rogue 3 / Thug Fighter 2. 2D6 SA, good amount of skill points, +4 BAB, Two Feats, and Evasion. Not a bad bet. (although I would gain Evasion from Mimic Class Feature so I don't know.)

Our DM uses NPC casters very intelligently, and I'm worried about my saves. Any idea how to boost my crappy Will save with minimal investment?

That is a good build. You can stack Thug with Sneak Attack variants for 3d6 SA. Rogue 3 can trade Trap Sense (Crap) for Penetrating Strike (Very Nice). If you are getting Evasion another way, the Spell Reflection ACF from CMage is a great addition. You probably already have a high Touch AC, get a miss chance or two, and the DM will never again try to slap you around with an Orb of X or an Enervation.

Amphetryon
2011-01-24, 10:39 AM
To boost your crappy Will save, visit an Otyugh Hole.