PDA

View Full Version : Stats for a barricade? [3.5]

Skjaldbakka
2011-01-24, 01:37 AM
Looking for some stats for a barricade, specifically the kind that is a row of sharpened wooden poles slanted at an incline, such as would be used to fend off people charging over or attempting to jump the barricade.

Volos
2011-01-24, 02:15 AM
Sounds like a trap with a Search DC of 0 and a Disable Device DC of 50. You can't very easily break the spikes off or pull them out without proper strength. Just make it a trap that attacks with xDx number of spikes on a failed reflex save. It's difficult terrain so it takes more squares of movement to get through. I'd make them out of porous stone that has been soaked in oil and is currently on fire, but that's just me.

Sintanan
2011-01-24, 03:19 AM
The following were assembled based on object stats found in the DMG. At least, this is what I would use in a pinch (sidenote: Why does a wood wall 1-ft thick have 120 hp and a stone wall of the same thickness only 90?) Enjoy.

Staked Barricade (per 5-ft section)
60 HP, Hardness 5; AC 10.
Assembled by piling dirt into a mound and staking it with 6-inch-thick wooden poles at an incline and sharpened at the end into points, the wooden barricade is a decent way at stopping charging opponents and providing decent cover from ranged attackers (but not the best of options, for that you would look into a 10-foot staked palisade, or even masonry).
A creature charging a wooden barricade runs the risk of impaling themselves onto the sharpened logs. Treat this as an immediate action; +12 piercing attack dealing 1d10 damage and impaled (DC 25 Strength check to free themselves, reduce the DC to 20 if the impaled character is having assistance), alternatively the impaled creature can attempt a DC 30 Escape Artist check to free themselves. Failing either check by 10 or more causes the creature to take 1d10 damage as they make matters worse.
A mounted creature charging the barricade risks impaling the mount on the stakes (the mount is attacked instead).
Creatures behind the barricade have cover while standing (at per the rules for a low wall). Attacking from behind the non-staked side of the barricade does not interfere with combat, attacking from the staked side incurs a -2 penalty to attack rolls and AC as the stakes get in the way.