PDA

View Full Version : How to stop a Changeling from dreaming [3.5, Eberron]

supermonkeyjoe
2011-01-24, 05:50 AM
hey everyone, I've got a small situation in the Eberron game I'm running and I need to know if there is a by the book solution or if I need some DM handwaveium.

The basic scenario is that the party (level 6 elf wizard, elf duskblade, kalashtar paladin and changeling druid/master of many forms) have majorly ticked off the Dreaming Dark, they managed to survive an assault from various agents on the material plane but now the Changeling is going to be assaulted by Nightmare spells every night (the kalashtar and elves are both immune)

Obviously the Changeling is going to want some way of stopping this happening but the question is how?

The only thing I can think of at this level for him is the ritual in the players handbook 2 that lets non-elves trance instead of sleep, unfortunately it involves everyone sitting around joining hands and the current group dynamic doesn't really make that feasible.

So please, is there any simple solution I've overlooked or is this a case of sending the PCs on an adventure to get a stop-you-dreaming macguffin?

TheCountAlucard
2011-01-24, 06:17 AM
So please, is there any simple solution I've overlooked or is this a case of sending the PCs on an adventure to get a stop-you-dreaming macguffin?Err, is staying awake an option? :smallconfused: Really, IIRC, the rules have never really been clear on that...

Also, was mildly-disappointed this wasn't an oWoD thread. :smalltongue:

supermonkeyjoe
2011-01-24, 06:23 AM
Err, is staying awake an option? :smallconfused: Really, IIRC, the rules have never really been clear on that...

Also, was mildly-disappointed this wasn't an oWoD thread. :smalltongue:

Whoops, I changed the thread title to clarify system and setting.

A failed save from a nightmare save causes the character to become fatigued the next day, if he fails another save the next night he will be exhausted which isn't good (half movement speed and -6 to strength and dexterity all day)

Coidzor
2011-01-24, 06:28 AM
Lesser Restoration (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/restorationlesser.htm)eliminates the downsides of not sleeping. And, conveniently, also the problems the changeling is currently suffering from. Scrolls shouldn't be too expensive to cover the gap until your divine caster can start providing them.

It's a Paladin 1 spell though, so 'e should be able to cast it. If you all chip in 1000 gp and provide some pearls of power, (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicitems/wondrousitems.htm#pearlofPower) then the Paladin can easily provide enough lesser restorations for those of you who need to sleep to never sleep again.

I have no idea where Trancing comes into things here, so it might just be you need to pay 1000 gp for the paladin's services by getting the kalashtar a pearl of power 1.

SiuiS
2011-01-24, 06:35 AM
Teamwork benefit.
Can't remember which book, but one of the teamwork benefits allows an elf to lead other, non elves in trance (provided each non-elf has at least one rank in concentration). Since the changeling wouldn't be sleeping, he wouldn't have nightmares. Since an elf's trance counts as rest, he wouldn't be fatigued/exhausted.

And you get role-play! Maybe some of the elves think it's taboo to share their racial training. One steps forward to help a comrade, and ripples ensue.
Or maybe not, since it's a common enough team benefit. But hey! Never know.

supermonkeyjoe
2011-01-24, 06:49 AM
Teamwork benefit.
Can't remember which book, but one of the teamwork benefits allows an elf to lead other, non elves in trance (provided each non-elf has at least one rank in concentration). Since the changeling wouldn't be sleeping, he wouldn't have nightmares. Since an elf's trance counts as rest, he wouldn't be fatigued/exhausted.

And you get role-play! Maybe some of the elves think it's taboo to share their racial training. One steps forward to help a comrade, and ripples ensue.
Or maybe not, since it's a common enough team benefit. But hey! Never know.

Unfortunately role-play is exactly the reason why this wouldn't work, the Elf wizard distrusts the changeling character immensely and the Elf duskblade isn't the most sharing type :p

Yes! thank you Coidzor, I knew there was something simple I overlooked, that'll certainly keep him adventuring, he just has to get over the trauma of being stabbed through the heart every night by this (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/moe_gallery/91499.jpg)

Fishy
2011-01-24, 07:21 AM
Heroes of Horror, which has a pretty cool section on the dreamscape, has a number of sleep and dream related spells. The spell you're looking for is restful slumber- 1 hour/level of complete protection from mundane nightmares and a caster level check against nightmare spells. Unfortunately, you get the spell via the Onieromancy feat tree, which is three feats long. See if you can get an artificer buddy to make you an Eternal Wand.

The hardcore alternative is the Wakeful Mind graft, from Faiths of Eberron. Replace bits of your brain with Warforged parts, gain permanent and (Ex) immunity to sleep. If you're going to be hunted by the Dreaming Dark for the rest of your natural life, probably worth it.