PDA

View Full Version : Bring back Xykon!

Mr. Snuggles
2011-01-24, 08:24 AM
Xykon really needs to be back in the strip. It has been a long time since he's been relevant. The last time he appeared was in strip 662 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0662.html) on June 13, 2009. That was over 100 strips ago! Xykon had a one-frame appearance at the Oracle but only spoke a single word of dialogue.

On an intellectual level, I understand we need some time off from Xykon to explore some lesser antagonists. On an emotional level, BRING BACK XYKON! :xykon: Nineteen and a half months is long enough!

HalfTangible
2011-01-24, 08:28 AM
He hasn't been written out of the strip, he's just somewhere else right now. >.>

Totally Guy
2011-01-24, 08:34 AM
I was all excited for a direct confrontation with Xykon arc. I thought I'd seen the pattern.

-1 Start of Darkness: Xykon
0 Origin of PCs: Not Xykon
1 Dungeon Crawlin' Fools: Xykon
2 Paladin Blues: Not Xykon
3 War And XPs: Xykon
4 Split Party: Not Xykon
5 Current Arc: Not Xykon... :smallfrown:

MoonCat
2011-01-24, 08:47 AM
I'm expecting this arc is going to build up to Xykon very importantly, but yeah, I agree, it's a pain when a good character is not getting any screen time. Team Evil is the source of sarcasm and dry wit from the ultimate duo, Redcloak and Xykon. How would Avatar be if Sokka wasn't there? Yeah, I miss them that much :smallwink: And I just want to see what things they've been doing lately. They can't be up to any good over there.

Mr. Snuggles
2011-01-24, 08:48 AM
Team Evil has been missing in action since strip 709 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0709.html) on March 25, 2010...ten months! :smalleek:

:redcloak: Bring back :roach: Team Evil :mitd: and Xykon! :xykon:

MoonCat
2011-01-24, 09:04 AM
:smalleek: That's a while. Like, a loooong while. :smallfrown: I'm sure the Giant will surprise us with something good though. I can't help but feel the tension is rising, and the +5 Shoe of Otherness is about to drop. And hey, those often come with goblin feet attached. :smallyuk:

Burner28
2011-01-24, 09:19 AM
Xykon will be back.... eventually:smallwink:

Swordpriest
2011-01-24, 09:52 AM
Yes, I'd kind of like to see some other characters, too. Team Evil, the Linear Guild, what's going on with the Resistance, O-Chul and Lien, heck, even Hinjo. There's a lot of story potential here and I, too, am eager to see it developed.

Edit: I mean, for example, the last time we saw the Linear Guild was in 2007, in strip #458. It's been 4 years and 320 strips since then.... :smalleek:

Juggling Goth
2011-01-24, 09:59 AM
We won't be seeing O-Chul or Lien any time soon. In the Don't Split the Party commentary, the Giant said that while O-Chul would be back later, he'd be offstage for most or all of the next book. I think that one panel when the MitD is thinking about him is all we're getting.

MoonCat
2011-01-24, 10:04 AM
Yes, I'd kind of like to see some other characters, too. Team Evil, the Linear Guild, what's going on with the Resistance, O-Chul and Lien, heck, even Hinjo. There's a lot of story potential here and I, too, am eager to see it developed.

Oh yeah, I'm sure the O-chul fanbase is already craveing the soothing hues of blue we got so sick of during the battle.

Juggling Goth
2011-01-24, 10:17 AM
Oh yeah, I'm sure the O-chul fanbase is already craveing the soothing hues of blue we got so sick of during the battle.

That's why he spent like 20 strips in his underwear, silly. To give your eyes a rest from the blue. O-Chul takes his responsibilities very seriously. (And, you know, fanservice.)

Trixie
2011-01-24, 10:46 AM
I was all excited for a direct confrontation with Xykon arc. I thought I'd seen the pattern.

-1 Start of Darkness: Xykon
0 Origin of PCs: Not Xykon
1 Dungeon Crawlin' Fools: Xykon
2 Paladin Blues: Not Xykon
3 War And XPs: Xykon
5 Current Arc: Not Xykon... :smallfrown:

Give the man a cookie. Even Tarquin is merely a (temporary) distraction :smallfrown:

Edit: I mean, for example, the last time we saw the Linear Guild was in 2007, in strip #458. It's been 4 years and 320 strips since then.... :smalleek:

:smalleek:

MoonCat
2011-01-24, 10:55 AM
I remember when I first left the archive binge and nearly went crazy waiting for the next update. This was Kazumi and Daiago's wedding scene. It's not been many strips, but it turns into a year ago very quickly. I still feel like I've barely started on OoTS and it's been books since I first began reading.

Kurald Galain
2011-01-24, 11:30 AM

What about the Soulsplice arc?

grimbold
2011-01-24, 12:33 PM
i think he may be doing so that Xykon can find his phylactery
also when they have to face their strongest antagonists (like xykon) he will seem a lot stronger

Tundar
2011-01-24, 12:45 PM
I'd rather take Tarquin over Xykon. ALthough Xykon is rather silly at times whereas Tarquin is just plain shrewd. In a cool way :)

Giggling Ghast
2011-01-24, 12:52 PM
It's a long campaign. There's room for other villains in it.

Totally Guy
2011-01-24, 01:06 PM
What about the Soulsplice arc?

Xykon was reacting rather than acting. He was being opposed rather than opposing.

I thought that arc would put Xykon back in the driving seat for the next collection. He'll oppose the main characters again... someday.

ThePhantasm
2011-01-24, 01:10 PM
As much as I like Xykon, I think the Linear Guild is more due for an appearance and I'd rather see them show up first.

Sutremaine
2011-01-24, 01:23 PM
This kind of reminds me of Kore in Goblins. He turned up right at the beginning, shot a room full of monster races (plus one), and then wasn't seen for years. At least the Linear Guild got two whole arcs of their own before vanishing from the comic.

Kurald Galain
2011-01-24, 01:48 PM
Xykon was reacting rather than acting. He was being opposed rather than opposing.
Sure, but that's also the case in DCF.

LuPuWei
2011-01-24, 01:49 PM
As much as I like Xykon, I think the Linear Guild is more due for an appearance and I'd rather see them show up first.

Amen.

:thog: thog not in comic too long. fanbase miss thog dearly...

Dr.Epic
2011-01-24, 02:45 PM
a. Xykon's the main villain and will be back.

b. If you miss him so much, reread the strips he's in.

c. It's been even longer since we last saw the Linear Guild and you're complaining about the lack of Xykon?

Ninja Dragon
2011-01-24, 03:29 PM
Calm down, Xykon is the main villain, the plot will advance too fast if the main villain keeps appearing. This arc needs a good build up before the OotS faces Xykon.

And plus, Tarquin is awesome, I'm already missing him more than Xykon.

But Nale is the one who should show up, it's been ages.

This kind of reminds me of Kore in Goblins. He turned up right at the beginning, shot a room full of monster races (plus one), and then wasn't seen for years. At least the Linear Guild got two whole arcs of their own before vanishing from the comic.

By years, don't you mean last chapter (http://www.goblinscomic.com/)?

Warren Dew
2011-01-24, 03:42 PM
Don't worry, Xykon will be back. Personally I'm happy with resolving the whole Tarquin thing first.

As far as the Linear Guild is concerned, I'm sure they'll be back too, but to be honest I'd just as soon not waste time on them.

DougTheHead
2011-01-24, 03:51 PM
Team Evil has been missing in action since strip 709 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0709.html) on March 25, 2010...ten months! :smalleek:

:redcloak: Bring back :roach: Team Evil :mitd: and Xykon! :xykon:

On the other hand, it's only been 60 strips. Given the "normal" rate of 3 strips per week, that should be only 5 months, but updates have been slower in coming than usual this last year.

Most of the collected versions are well over 100 strips. There's still room for at least a Xykon mini-arc in this storyline.

Feral Warpwolf
2011-01-24, 05:25 PM
I always found Xykon quite annoying and too overpowered! Therefore I don't mind some more strips without him, you know...! ;)

eggynack
2011-01-24, 05:27 PM
Don't fret! I'm sure Xykon will pop up eventually. Like... maybe Tarquin is actually Xykon in disguise. Also Ian just so happens to be Redcloak, Gaanji and Enor are the demon roaches and the dragon is the MitD.

They're never coming back are they. :smallfrown:

JonestheSpy
2011-01-24, 05:59 PM
Rich has changed his mind about the direction of the story and you are never, ever going to see Xykon again.

Sorry.

icastflare!
2011-01-24, 06:09 PM

I agree with this 100 percent.

Shoelessgdowar
2011-01-24, 06:16 PM
Don't fret! I'm sure Xykon will pop up eventually. Like... maybe Tarquin is actually Xykon in disguise. Also Ian just so happens to be Redcloak, Gaanji and Enor are the demon roaches and the dragon is the MitD.

They're never coming back are they. :smallfrown:

Chillax... We still have room for more in this arc

1) Xykon can make a cameo... maybe show him in the sewers with Scuba Zombies and one of them holds up the Tri-Force or The Sword of Thundara, Xykon yells at it, blasts it, and then we see a pile of dinguses, chekov's guns, and other mcguffins from all across sci-fi and fantasydom (Ruby Slippers, The One Ring, the Elder Wand, Excalibur, The Swords of Greyskull, The Autobot Matrix of Leadership, the All-Spark, the Cosmic Key, the 12 Talismans of Shendu, The Demon Masks, The Dragon Balls, The Chaos Emeralds, The Eye of Odin, the Phoenix Gate, The Golden Fleece, The Golden Apple of Discord, The Spear of Destiny, the Holy Grail, The Infinite Probability Drive, the Answer to Life/Universe/Everything, The Green Ranger's Dragon Flute, The Genie's Lamp of Aladdin, etc.)

2) Nale and the Linear Guild should show up and we have a 3-way battle, with alliances forming and breaking all over the place

:thog: Nale Knot Not-Nale, Nale Nale Not-Nale, Not-Not-Nale Nale Nale, Not-Nale Knot Not-Not-Nale, Nale Not Knot Not-Not-Nale, Not-Nale Not Nale Nale

:thog: or am that Nale-Pop Pop Nale, Not-Nale Nale Nale Pop, Nale Knot Not-Nale, Not-Nale Pop Nale-Pop, Nale Nale Nale-Pop, Nale-Pop Knot Nale?

:thog: Thog should Narrate More, Thog make best descriptions of events.

:thog: Thog am just pawn in great game of chess played by Not-Nale's Puppets

3) We still have so much to see and do just in this area

4) We still have so much to see and do in other areas also.

Kish
2011-01-24, 06:25 PM
A thread complaining that the comic hasn't focused on one particular character in a while?

Wow, never seen one of those here before.

Zordrath
2011-01-24, 06:32 PM
Xykon may have been absent from the story for a long while in real time, but keep in mind that plot-wise, he appeared quite recently. He player a major part during the finale of the previous story arc, and it is now only the beginning of a new arc. I'm afraid it will still take some time before we see him again.

Besides, I think Tarquin is the first villain awesome enough to truly substitute for Xykon. When Xykon was absent in favor of second-stringers like Kubota or Bozzok (or Nale), it felt to me like the strip was missing something, but Tarquin easily provides the same doses of badass villainy as Xykon, so I'm not complaining :smallbiggrin:

I also think it's obvious that this arc is destined for Nale to show up again... though honestly, I'm not exactly excited at the prospect. The Linear Guild are among the weakest recurring characters by far, the occasional Thog humor nonwithstanding.

DomaDoma
2011-01-24, 07:04 PM

Four years since Roy died? Seriously? Damn, that went by quickly.

Logalmier
2011-01-24, 09:06 PM

Just think of the havoc they could have wrecked in all that time! :smalleek:

Swordpriest
2011-01-24, 09:35 PM
:thog: or am that Nale-Pop Pop Nale, Not-Nale Nale Nale Pop, Nale Knot Not-Nale, Not-Nale Pop Nale-Pop, Nale Nale Nale-Pop, Nale-Pop Knot Nale?

This is absolutely hilarious. Have 1 Internet, good sir. :smallbiggrin:

deathsli'helper
2011-01-24, 09:36 PM
Team Evil is more than likly plotting, no matterwhat the situation, if team evil isnt in the center of things there plotting, it makes a great excuse for caracter growth.

Felixaar
2011-01-25, 03:18 AM
How would Avatar be if Sokka wasn't there?

Beats me, but it would be much better without the bald kid. You know, the halfling.

Snerk.

In seriousness, I think you need to look at this as one long story rather than a randomly updated show - Rich is trying to establish long term plots instead of simply entertaining us from update to update, and that occasionally includes spending a long time away from some characters.

I mean, come on, we haven't seen the Linear Guild since the destruction of Azure City. They'll show up again, in time.

And Scott, I mean---

Oh, wrong forum.

Heksefatter
2011-01-25, 03:38 AM
While I do miss Xykon, Tarquin has proven a more than adequate villain in his absence.

Oh, I also miss the IFCC, but still, Tarquin's presence in particular has resulted in this being an exceptionally enjoyable arch.