PDA

View Full Version : Belt of Battle pricing

mucco
2011-01-24, 09:47 AM
Well, I love this item. Unfortunately, I'm convinced that its price is a joke, because it provides a very powerful boost. How would you price it?

DeltaEmil
2011-01-24, 09:58 AM
I guess you mean that it's too good for the price. If so, why would you want to up it? Sure, spellcasters can use it more effectively to completely wreck heavoc on the battlefield, but that's what they normally do anyway. It's a nice item that makes non-spellcasters a little bit better, and it's them who will suffer if the belt of battle becomes more expensive.

ericgrau
2011-01-24, 01:52 PM
It's a bit of an item tax, similar to a feat tax, when used that way. It's a crazy powerful item that every character will benefit from having. So essentially by allowing it and saying "it helps the melee too" you're beefing up every class as a sort of rule for your game, b/c everyone who wants to keep up will pay the 12k and belt slot and be done with it.

To get the equivalent from a rod of greater quicken a wizard must pay 56,667 gp. It's less for spells up to level 3 or 6, as little as 12k for level 3, so really the fact is an extra action gets worth more and more as you level up. The same wizard would be casting an extra 2nd level spell in 6th level slots with the feat, btw, whereas with the belt of battle he can cast an extra 6th level spell in a 6th level slot. So it is in fact a huge bonus to casters too. Heck it doubles what the casters can do all the melee gets is an extra attack, or 2x ubercharging I suppose.

NichG
2011-01-24, 02:21 PM
The Belt of Battle generally just amplifies what you can already do. It's basically an extra (nearly) free full round action 1/day, so its as good as the character that's wearing it. A fighter gets an extra 60 damage or so out of it using it for a full attack, but a wizard gets to summon an extra Solar.

If you wanted to use this item as a melee buff (which I don't necessarily agree is the right thing to do, since it won't serve its purpose if they player doesn't discover it, and if they do its basically mandated) then I'd limit it to giving extra 'attack actions' rather than extra move/standard/full round actions. That is, it can be used for an extra standard action attack (or martial maneuver), or a full attack or maneuver that can be used on a full attack, but it can't be used to cast a spell.

Ernir
2011-01-24, 02:40 PM
How would you price it?

IMO, there are only two kinds of belts any character would want to wear on the mid-high levels - a Belt of Battle, or a Belt of Battle combo'ed with another item.

The latter suggests that the item is worth at least 1.5*12k = 18k to me.

I'd still aim for getting it all the time until you get close to 30k, at which point I'd be thinking about getting a (or another) Lesser Rod of Quicken instead.

So yeah. Between 20k and 30k, I guess...

mucco
2011-01-24, 11:12 PM
I was thinking that a doubling of the price, to 24k, would be a good adjustment as well.

Is there really no other item that provides a similar function?

Runestar
2011-01-24, 11:19 PM
I am more interested in the belt granting a move action 3/day, allowing melee characters to move and still move-attack.

Using it for an extra standard or full-round action seems like a waste, though at 12k, I can carry multiples around and swap them out after each use. :smallamused:

That said, this is less feasible for fighters since you are going to want to add enhancement bonuses for str and possibly con to the belt as well (using the guidelines in MIC).

Again, even for magic items apparently geared towards fighters, they still get the shorter end of the stick. :smallannoyed: