The Giant
2011-01-24, 10:27 AM
New comic is up.

Meta
2011-01-24, 10:28 AM
Like father like daughter!

CoffeeIncluded
2011-01-24, 10:29 AM
So, what's Ian going to think when he sees Elan?

nysisobli
2011-01-24, 10:29 AM
Shes so good, I didn't even realize it!

The Vorpal Tribble
2011-01-24, 10:30 AM
Eww, now Haley WILL have cooties!

Jair Barik
2011-01-24, 10:32 AM
This is going to turn into a wacky comedy of some sorts isn't it? It sure will be awkward when theyb introduce their parents to one another...

JSSheridan
2011-01-24, 10:33 AM
Thanks Giant!

Niknokitueu
2011-01-24, 10:34 AM
Nice comic, Rich.

Gotta say "What's the odds of that happening, eh? Eh?" (Harry Hill)

It is almost as if several diverse plot lines were being drawn together by some sort of higher agency. An Author (or GM, if you will).

Remember, always let the stuffed shirt think he is in control. Lol.

Have Fun!
Niknokitueu

Trixie
2011-01-24, 10:34 AM
Anyone has doubts Haley & Dad are evil after this fine example of wicked manipulation? :smallamused:

And I almost believed Roy was in charge. Heh.

The Pilgrim
2011-01-24, 10:35 AM
Every parent thinks their offspring is the one in charge. Eugene thinks it's Roy, Tarkin thinks it's Elan, and Ian now thinks it's Haley.

No one knows that the real leader is Mr.Scruffy.

CelestialMagpie
2011-01-24, 10:36 AM
Nice

Belkar: "Stop talking and service our curiosity!" :smallbiggrin:

By the time all the fun has been had, I imagine each oots member will be considered the leader by someone....

T.G. Oskar
2011-01-24, 10:38 AM
So, what's Ian going to think when he sees Elan?

Zing! Thought the same thing. I think Ian's gonna be deluded into thinking his daughter is some sort of keen mastermind up until the point the poor dad says something about the bumbling son-in-law (once they marry, though considering how both are Chaotic probably they'll be a permanent couple...)

Then, Haley's gonna regress into the dark and brooding girl that opposed her father on terms of adolescence (Dark Mistress Starshine reappearing?).

Though...that begs the question: what would be the result of a Haley/Elan pairing? Someone with Intelligence and Charisma off the scale, or the theoretical result of a pairing between Einstein and Sophia Loren (quote FTW!)?

tsaylor
2011-01-24, 10:41 AM
Excellent, I love the gag. I wonder how Ian will respond to his daughter going all honest(ish) on him.

Fri
2011-01-24, 10:43 AM
Everything makes sense now. It's clear now, that Durkon is the one who's been manipulating everything from behind.

Trixie
2011-01-24, 10:43 AM
Though...that begs the question: what would be the result of a Haley/Elan pairing? Someone with Intelligence and Charisma off the scale, or the theoretical result of a pairing between Einstein and Sophia Loren (quote FTW!)?

Um, we already saw that. They're called Nale and Elan.

Though, seeing how Haley has average Int to Tarquin's genius (for the sake of Elan I won't compare his Int to his mom's), their kids will be even dumber.

BayardSPSR
2011-01-24, 10:45 AM
If only she'd revealed THAT lie (that she wasn't manipulating the whole thing), the would have gotten over that cryptogram thing SO much sooner! :smallwink:

But wait - no - the dramatic effect's SO much better this way... Yes, I must conclude that things are fairly awesome as they are.

That and Elan seems to be influencing me.

And I don't know whether that's bad or not. He will get a happy ending, after all.

Deth Muncher
2011-01-24, 10:46 AM
Heh. Silly paranoid Mr. Starshine.

MoonCat
2011-01-24, 10:47 AM
KITTEN!?! Is that Haley's pet name!?! SQUEEEEE!!! I want more!

And now I'm totally thinking of Haley as a Tabby Catgirl!

More exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trixie
2011-01-24, 10:47 AM
And I don't know whether that's bad or not. He will get a happy ending, after all.

I certainly hope 'he' is operative word here :smallwink:

Caliphbubba
2011-01-24, 10:52 AM
Good one, Giant! good one.

Dr.Epic
2011-01-24, 10:52 AM
Yay! New comic! I like the comments about Roy being a plant. Don't tell Durkon was awesome. Maybe Roy will sing a song about being a mean green mother from outerspace and we better be careful he doesn't die again or giant blue cats will start to cry. Also, keep him away from Red Cloak since his people only eat plants.

10 points to anyone who gets all these plant references.

Jair Barik
2011-01-24, 10:54 AM
What the chances that if ian and Tarquin meet they will not fight about one imprisoning the other but about whos offspring is clearly the leader of the Order of the stick.

MoonCat
2011-01-24, 10:56 AM
What the chances that if ian and Tarquin meet they will not fight about one imprisoning the other but about whos offspring is clearly the leader of the Order of the stick.

About one in a million in this com- OH ****!

Dr.Epic
2011-01-24, 10:56 AM

Or Tarquin will remember he's an evil puppet master who's somewhat skilled in combat and this guy just broke out of my prison.

Trixie
2011-01-24, 10:58 AM
Or Tarquin will remember he's an evil puppet master who's somewhat skilled in combat and this guy just broke out of my prison.

Sadly, while I'd like to see the fight, Tarquin would likely use his 10+ level difference to make a paste out of him :smallwink:

HUMVEE Driver
2011-01-24, 10:58 AM
First off, great comic! Well worth the wait for this page.

Swordpriest
2011-01-24, 10:59 AM
Heh .... great comic .... because it's absolutely nothing that anyone was expecting, myself included. :smallbiggrin:

MoonCat
2011-01-24, 11:01 AM
Why doesn't Haley have tears of joy in the first panel? She looks like she ought to be crying.

Scarlet Knight
2011-01-24, 11:02 AM
Then, Haley's gonna regress into the dark and brooding girl that opposed her father on terms of adolescence (Dark Mistress Starshine reappearing?).

:elan: "Haley & I just had a son!"
:belkar: "I bet he's just like the both of you."
:elan: "Thanks, Belkar!"
:belkar: "I mean he's suspicious AND stupid."

MoonCat
2011-01-24, 11:03 AM
I see Belkar's foot just peeping over on the ninth panel. Hee-hee. And I just saw the Fatherland joke

SaintRidley
2011-01-24, 11:05 AM
I like Ian.

the_tick_rules
2011-01-24, 11:06 AM
well for Ian that is how things work in his kinda world.

Belsirk
2011-01-24, 11:18 AM
No doubt, daddy have too much fait on his littlen kitten ...
P.d. Very good comic :P

Vectner
2011-01-24, 11:25 AM
How would you de-louse someone in D&D?

Trixie
2011-01-24, 11:27 AM

Cast 'Remove Disease'? :smallconfused:

Killer Angel
2011-01-24, 11:28 AM
INteresting fellow, Haley's father... :smallcool:

hewhosaysfish
2011-01-24, 11:33 AM

1) Pour a small amount of gold dust in your left ear
2) Build a tiny miniature tavern under your right foot
3) All the lice are killed by an adventuring party made up of an earwig wizard, a slilverfish rouge, a ladybird fighter and a weevil cleric.

warmachine
2011-01-24, 11:33 AM
Living in the OotS world must drive the occupants nuts. Although being thrown in prison as a colleague's long lost father in an unwanted side quest is staggeringly unlikely, the laws of drama make it likely. There's a good chance that every ludicrous story you hear is actually true.

It must be even more nuttier for PCs. Half the NPCs you ignore or dismiss must be plot critical. It's a wonder Roy's head hasn't exploded.

Dr.Epic
2011-01-24, 11:47 AM
I like Ian.

Yes, what's not to love about a man who scolds his daughter for telling someone her mother went to heaven and who raised said daughter to be a paranoid adult?

Terbovus
2011-01-24, 11:48 AM
Roy's Fatherland comment FTW! All we need now is Belkar's old dad to turn up... :smallwink:

geekwraith
2011-01-24, 11:50 AM
3) All the lice are killed by an adventuring party made up of an earwig wizard, a slilverfish rouge, a ladybird fighter and a weevil cleric.

Win. :smallbiggrin:

Dr.Epic
2011-01-24, 11:52 AM
Roy's Fatherland comment FTW! All we need now is Belkar's old dad to turn up... :smallwink:

Somehow I wouldn't be surprised if Belkar killed him.

Murdim
2011-01-24, 12:05 PM
I like Ian.
Yes, what's not to love about a man who scolds his daughter for telling someone her mother went to heaven and who raised said daughter to be a paranoid adult?
I like Tarquin.

Psyren
2011-01-24, 12:19 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembered this.

Acero
2011-01-24, 12:28 PM
I like Ian.

I do too. You gotta have respect for a man who will randomly scratch himself with both hands during a conversation..

Too bad Tarquin will kill him....

grimbold
2011-01-24, 12:30 PM
this is going to get interesting soon
i am looking forward to it

Swordpriest
2011-01-24, 12:34 PM

I'd like to see this as a bonus strip along the lines of Fruit Pie the Sorcerer and that other one. :smallsmile:

Themrys
2011-01-24, 12:35 PM
Um, we already saw that. They're called Nale and Elan.

Though, seeing how Haley has average Int to Tarquin's genius (for the sake of Elan I won't compare his Int to his mom's), their kids will be even dumber.

No. Intelligence is on the X-chromosome. This means, Elan and Nale both inherited their mothers intelligence.
Haley's and Elan's son would be about as intelligent as Haley, while a daughter would,besides Haley's intelligence, inherit Elan's intelligence or lack thereof.

Ian will be proud of his little girl who seduced the evil overlord's son in order to rescue her father. :)

Considering where he raised her, it was the best thing he could do. Remember what her old friend Pete did?
In that city, telling someone that there may be a fresh body in the family tomb isn't such a good idea.

Ian is as good a person as Haley is. And I like Haley.

Swordpriest
2011-01-24, 12:53 PM
Ian will be proud of his little girl who seduced the evil overlord's son in order to rescue her father. :)

Dang -- that would fall right in with what he's viewing the situation as being like at the moment, wouldn't it? :smallbiggrin:

whitemane
2011-01-24, 01:04 PM

In my D&D game I actually created a minor magic item called an Earing of Cleanliness. In essence, it would keep all forms of dirt, grime, body odor, etc. off of you as long as you wore the earing. It also automatically repaired minor tears and rips in your clothing. It was very popular among adventurers that didn't always have time to take a bath and such...

Swordpriest
2011-01-24, 01:05 PM
In my D&D game I actually created a minor magic item called an Earing of Cleanliness. In essence, it would keep all forms of dirt, grime, body odor, etc. off of you as long as you wore the earing. It also automatically repaired minor tears and rips in your clothing. It was very popular among adventurers that didn't always have time to take a bath and such...

I'd love to have one of those IRL for traveling .... :smallbiggrin:

Mando Knight
2011-01-24, 01:06 PM
I'm noticing a trend here in "the Fatherland." Dads always jump to the conclusion that their beloved little kiddo is in charge. Next we'll run into Belkar's parents or something, and boy, will that be a laugh.

whitemane
2011-01-24, 01:08 PM
I'm noticing a trend here in "the Fatherland." Dads always jump to the conclusion that their beloved little kiddo is in charge. Next we'll run into Belkar's parents or something, and boy, will that be a laugh.

I doubt that... I'm thinking that Belkar must've slit his parents throats in their sleep before he left to become an adventurer!

Of course, we could see a pair of halfling zombies...

Thalnawr
2011-01-24, 01:10 PM
Honestly, I don't think Elan's lack of intelligence is going to be hereditary, if panel 13 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0050.html) is any indicator.

Blaznak
2011-01-24, 01:12 PM
"Better not let the Dwarf know." Best line in a Looooooong time :)

Mr. Snuggles
2011-01-24, 01:21 PM
It's nice to see that everyone has so much time to stop and chat...while they are in the middle of attempting a PRISON BREAKOUT? :smallconfused:

Traab
2011-01-24, 01:22 PM
Delousing made easy. Cast a low level fire spell that engulfs his entire body. Then have cleric cast heal minor wounds. Oh sure itll sting a bit, but its hardly more damage than a bad sun burn before the cleric gets around to healing it.

Themrys
2011-01-24, 01:23 PM
Honestly, I don't think Elan's lack of intelligence is going to be hereditary, if panel 13 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0050.html) is any indicator.

Yeah...but Nale's pretty stupid, too.
Then again, he managed to fool Haley with his "I recognized my feelings for you when I nearly died at the hands of my handsome brother Nale...that I didn't much earlier probably is due to my childlike persona..." - speech, so one could think he is as intelligent as her.
However, Haley does have the excuse of being in love with Elan.

Sylthia
2011-01-24, 01:27 PM
Thanks, Giant. I wonder if Haley's uncle will also play a role soon, I'm surprised he hasn't joined in on the conversation yet.

ericgrau
2011-01-24, 01:31 PM
Ah I love the commentary from characters on things that were set up for the sake of plot. Even if they aren't intentionally being wise guys.

Shame both the fathers turned out to be corrupt. Hopefully Ian won't be as bad.

gymbrall
2011-01-24, 01:40 PM

This is brilliant!

TheBlackShadow
2011-01-24, 01:51 PM
Heh, nice strip. Clearly Haley is annoyed because we weren't supposed to know what she was up to until the very end, if at all.

On a different note, in panel 7 Ian mentions his "team". I don't think there are such larger groups among the gladiators. A little bit of foreshadowing there, perhaps?

Dr.Epic
2011-01-24, 01:54 PM
Considering where he raised her, it was the best thing he could do. Remember what her old friend Pete did?
In that city, telling someone that there may be a fresh body in the family tomb isn't such a good idea.

Ian is as good a person as Haley is. And I like Haley.

Right, because leaving the city was totally not an option.

faustin
2011-01-24, 02:06 PM
:roy:No, really. It´s only a fortunate coincidence that we all came to the Empire, and that Elan, the bard of my group and Haley´s boyfriend, was Tarquin´s son. But thanks to that, the rest of my companions are in the palace and awaiting my orders.

Ian: Ahh, now it´s clear :smallwink:
(sniff... my little kitty has finally grown up... now she is a mastermind!)

Themrys
2011-01-24, 02:14 PM
Shame both the fathers turned out to be corrupt. Hopefully Ian won't be as bad.

Would be hard to be as evil as Tarquin or as bad a parent as Roy's father.

Kaytara
2011-01-24, 02:19 PM
Great page - the "Fatherland" joke got me laughing. :D

But where's Elan? Who left him unsupervised???!

pendell
2011-01-24, 02:23 PM
Well, that was done quite quickly and with a minimum amount of exposition. And I'm laughing my head off at Ian's perfectly reasonable view that Haley arranged all this. It really is more probable than the true explanation.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

mucat
2011-01-24, 02:36 PM
Every parent thinks their offspring is the one in charge. Eugene thinks it's Roy, Tarkin thinks it's Elan, and Ian now thinks it's Haley.

Mr. Scruffy's dad knows that.

Shoelessgdowar
2011-01-24, 02:41 PM

I thought Elan was the puppet master? I've yet to see Tarquin pull out a single puppet.

ricorum
2011-01-24, 02:41 PM
Very nice; Someone's in for a rude awakening...

Dr.Epic
2011-01-24, 02:44 PM
I thought Elan was the puppet master? I've yet to see Tarquin pull out a single puppet.

Oh, I get it. Because I said puppet master you took it as literal puppets.

mucat
2011-01-24, 02:46 PM
It is almost as if several diverse plot lines were being drawn together by some sort of higher agency. An Author (or GM, if you will).

Remember, always let the stuffed shirt think he is in control. Lol.

It goes deeper than that. You really think Rich Burlew is in charge of the plot here?

He works for Haley.

Dvandemon
2011-01-24, 02:54 PM
It's nice to see that everyone has so much time to stop and chat...while they are in the middle of attempting a PRISON BREAKOUT? :smallconfused:
Expositions are free actions

Shoelessgdowar
Oh, I get it. Because I said puppet master you took it as literal puppets.

Well come on... you totally set yourself up for it :)

I mean Elan has pulled Banjo, Banjulhu, and Giggles...

It was just too good to pass up on.

Gift Jeraff
Now watch Eugene show up when Roy gets out of the anti-magic field and Polozius turn out to be V's step-parent.

That's just what Shojo, Mr. Scruffy's biological father, thinks.

No one knows that the real leader is Thor. Not even Thor.

Shoelessgdowar
2011-01-24, 03:01 PM
Now watch Eugene show up when Roy gets out of the anti-magic field and Polozius turn out to be V's step-parent.

That's just what Shojo, Mr. Scruffy's biological father, thinks.

Oh please... everyone knows the real leader is Banjo, just ask his and Giggles' father, Odeum the Wise Puppet G-D of all Performance. He'll you his son is in charge.

Dvandemon
2011-01-24, 03:04 PM
@/\:...what!?

The_Firenail
2011-01-24, 03:19 PM

Y'know, I would actually call it the Dadland instead of the Fatherland, I bet it would've been a much friendlier country.

And also, when the hell was the last time did anyone refer to the Order of the Steick by name like Roy there? (aka Roy Buzzkillington Gongsho)

Jay R
2011-01-24, 03:20 PM
And I'm laughing my head off at Ian's perfectly reasonable view that Haley arranged all this. It really is more probable than the true explanation.

Of course. Why would a long-time prisoner of Tarquin the Empress of Blood and Tyrinar the Bloody believe that the official leader is actually in charge?

The MunchKING
2011-01-24, 03:29 PM
HA! Take it and run with it, Haley!!

Sadly, while I'd like to see the fight, Tarquin would likely use his 10+ level difference to make a paste out of him :smallwink:

Wasn't he some kind of sniper guy back in the theives guild like Haley, back in the day? So they give him one of Haley's bows, and he'll be good as ever.

The MunchKING
2011-01-24, 03:33 PM

But where's Elan? Who left him unsupervised???!

he's right outside with orders to whistle, remember?

Warren Dew
2011-01-24, 03:47 PM
Then again, he managed to fool Haley with his "I recognized my feelings for you when I nearly died at the hands of my handsome brother Nale...that I didn't much earlier probably is due to my childlike persona..." - speech, so one could think he is as intelligent as her.
Haley is not especially intelligent. She's not stupid, but Roy is the one with the 18 INT.

DougTheHead
2011-01-24, 03:58 PM

Hey, it's not his fault that celestials and half-celestials have well-known weaknesses. If Haley lets too many people know about her genetic background, soon everyone will know the proper weapons and spells to equip before trying to kill her.

Locnil
2011-01-24, 04:06 PM
Haley is not especially intelligent. She's not stupid, but Roy is the one with the 18 INT.

Hang on, where was it stated that Roy had 18 INT? I don't own any of the books, yet, so it would be good to know.

Calmness
2011-01-24, 04:13 PM
That was hilarious. :smallbiggrin:

G-Man Graves
2011-01-24, 04:14 PM

Odin knows.

ericgrau
2011-01-24, 04:26 PM
Hang on, where was it stated that Roy had 18 INT? I don't own any of the books, yet, so it would be good to know.

The mindflayer thing. It was explained later that he was more well rounded in all 3 mental stats giving him the highest overall mind, and in fact did not have the highest int. That's vaarsuvius with the 18. At different points in the strip it's been pointed out that Roy has had the option to become a wizard or cleric, suggesting that his int is fairly high. "You have the wisdom for it" was said specifically of cleric-ness.

Grumpy-Mcfart
2011-01-24, 04:27 PM
Hey, it's not his fault that celestials and half-celestials have well-known weaknesses. If Haley lets too many people know about her genetic background, soon everyone will know the proper weapons and spells to equip before trying to kill her.

wait...

what?

Irbis
2011-01-24, 04:37 PM
wait...

what?

Welcome to the Desert... of Epileptic Trees :P

seraine
2011-01-24, 05:13 PM

Mr. Scruffy's Tips for Cats

Always let the humans think they're in charge.

DracoDei
2011-01-24, 05:16 PM
3) All the lice are killed by an adventuring party made up of an earwig wizard, a silverfish rouge, a ladybug fighter and a weevil cleric.

I am placing this into my extended signature(with the above spelling corrections. (slilverfish -> silverfish, ladybird ->ladybug).

Grelna the Blue
2011-01-24, 05:19 PM
wait...

what?

If I remember aright, the half-celestial theory has been put forward because Haley shares a hairstyle (including stray hair) with at least one female celestial we have seen portrayed and, more importantly, because in #681 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0681.html) we saw a flashback of her as a child being reprimanded by her father for telling a friendly stranger that "Mommy went to heaven last year." I'm not sure how many people take this theory seriously, though. I think most references to it are at least half-joking.

Edit: regarding this:
I am placing this into my extended signature(with the above spelling corrections. (slilverfish -> silverfish, ladybird ->ladybug).Ladybird is actually the original word. I know they say that in the UK. It wouldn't surprise me if they did in Ireland, Canada, and/or Australia as well.

xXKallandraXx
2011-01-24, 05:30 PM
Does it matter if the Potion was a Philter? I was looking back 2 comics and the tag said Philter. but was crossed out and had Potion written instead. May change the effects of the anti-magic strip?:smallconfused:

NegativeFifteen
2011-01-24, 05:37 PM
Jesus Christ, this guy IS delusional. He's probably in there for being insane.

Shoelessgdowar
2011-01-24, 05:38 PM
he's right outside with orders to whistle, remember?

And probably now sitting there, playing with his puppets... maybe even get an homage to Spaceballs: The Movie.

:elan: <as girly voice with a :haley: Puppet> "Ooooo, Elan, you're so strong and powerful."
:elan: <in extra deep voice with an :elan: Puppet> "That is because I'm a single class Bard, instead of an over complicated cross class bonanza."
:elan: <in whiney, squeeky voice as :nale: Puppet> "Hey, I didn't think of that til you said something"
:elan: <In extra deep voice as :elan: Puppet> "And so, you lose... and so shall our father... For I am smart, and brave, and handsome, and charming, and awesome>
:elan: <In Giggly Voice as Banjo Puppet> "Don't forget to whistle to warn about the guards and your father behind you..."
:elan: "Huh?" <<looking behind himself> "Did you guys see all that?"
:tarquin: "No, Son, we didn't see you playing with your puppets again."
:elan: "Good." <Then starts whistling like crazy>

Shoelessgdowar
2011-01-24, 05:45 PM
Does it matter if the Potion was a Philter? I was looking back 2 comics and the tag said Philter. but was crossed out and had Potion written instead. May change the effects of the anti-magic strip?:smallconfused:

Yes... 1) It is a joke, because when they changed editions in D7D, they fixed all philtre to be potions, 2) The reason for the editions made the change is because technically a Philtre is a Love Potion, so even a Philtre of Love is technically redundant since it would be a Love Potion of Love, and everything else that was a Philtre would be a Love Potion of <whatever>... so a Philtre of Strength is a Love Potion of Strength, and a Philtre of Glibness would be a Love Potion of Glibness (which only makes sense for the last panel of the first strip in which Haley is using it. 3) It wouldn't change the effects, just the silliness of calling anything besides a Love Potion a Philtre, and to be accurate to the naming scheme for the D&D Edition they're currently using.

Tobimaro
2011-01-24, 06:11 PM
I'd say that Belkar stole the show here with his 'fatherland' joke, but Ian's 'lousy' quip is even better. Now, who is in charge of the Order again? :smallbiggrin:

Jay R
2011-01-24, 06:16 PM
I am reminded that Ian is a first-edition thief (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0008.html). Will this make any significant difference in his abilities?

mucat
2011-01-24, 06:36 PM
Jesus Christ, this guy IS delusional. He's probably in there for being insane.

He's not delusional. Like the comic title states, Ian's version of events actually makes a lot more sense than what really happened -- "We wandered into a country halfway around the world from our home, and for reasons that have nothing to do with our mission here, half the people we meet are one of our dads." :smallsmile:

BlackZaitan
2011-01-24, 06:38 PM
I just wanted to make this profile just to quote another from Belkar "Better not let the dwarf know." Love his point of view!

Red XIV
2011-01-24, 06:40 PM
I am reminded that Ian is a first-edition thief (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0008.html). Will this make any significant difference in his abilities?
Depends on whether he's upgraded to later editions.

Elfey
2011-01-24, 06:44 PM
:elan: "Haley & I just had a son!"
:belkar: "I bet he's just like the both of you."
:elan: "Thanks, Belkar!"
:belkar: "I mean he's suspicious AND stupid."

So a Paladin?

MoonCat
2011-01-24, 06:53 PM
So a Paladin?

Not all paladins are like that. O-chul, Lien, Hinjo...

Kichiku
2011-01-24, 06:56 PM
Haha :smallsmile:

I like how both Tarquin & Ian thinks that their respective kid is THE leader of the group, when this really isn't the case :smallbiggrin: .

Oh well, I guess that in a D&D world, the highest wish of any parent would be for their kid to be a protagonist, eh? :smallconfused:

Cerlis
2011-01-24, 07:18 PM
Lets see...Ian's Highly suspicious nature making him believe the rules of Drama and Plot are just the outcome of someone's somewhere's manipulation.

And this entire chapter is based off of the Rule of Drama, which Elan treats as his dogma.

SOmething tells me this means Ian is going to be either Highly suspicious of Elan, or believe he is the GOod equivelant of the evil genius his father is, and the stupid act is just a facade.

Yeah...but Nale's pretty stupid, too.
However, Haley does have the excuse of being in love with Elan.

The description in the PHB of a person with Hi Int and low Wis being a "mad scientist" type fellow leads me to believe Elan has low int and decent wisdom (he seems to notice alot, he just doesnt understand it) while Nale has a High Int and low Wis (he understands complicated things, but is completely aloof to anything but his own little world)

mucat
2011-01-24, 07:19 PM
I like how both Tarquin & Ian thinks that their respective kid is THE leader of the group, when this really isn't the case :smallbiggrin: .

Oh well, I guess that in a D&D world, the highest wish of any parent would be for their kid to be a protagonist, eh? :smallconfused:

You're only saying that because my kid told you to.

137beth
2011-01-24, 08:02 PM
Oh no, now I'm afraid that I might be a plant!

Great one:smallsmile:

BlueWizard
2011-01-24, 10:03 PM
:smallcool::smallcool:

ref
2011-01-24, 10:13 PM
Heh, after two most hated teams reached the Superbowl this year, I needed my OotS fix badly. Now we have to convince Ian that yes, it's been really a coincidence.

Shatteredtower
2011-01-24, 10:49 PM
I may now better understand why Haley's attracted to Elan.

Grumpy-Mcfart
2011-01-24, 11:41 PM
If I remember aright, the half-celestial theory has been put forward because Haley shares a hairstyle (including stray hair) with at least one female celestial we have seen portrayed and, more importantly, because in #681 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0681.html) we saw a flashback of her as a child being reprimanded by her father for telling a friendly stranger that "Mommy went to heaven last year." I'm not sure how many people take this theory seriously, though. I think most references to it are at least half-joking.

Ah, never encountered that one. I always kinda liked the crazy fan theory that she was part dragon.

Raging Gene Ray
2011-01-24, 11:53 PM
Haha :smallsmile:

And yet the father of the REAL leader considers him to be a huge disappointment. Can't say I blame Eugene, though.

Nimrod's Son
2011-01-25, 12:32 AM
I am placing this into my extended signature(with the above spelling corrections. (slilverfish -> silverfish, ladybird ->ladybug).
You're leaving "rouge" as it is, then?

LuPuWei
2011-01-25, 01:04 AM
Shojo, Mr. Scruffy's biological father

Pardon?

martinkou
2011-01-25, 01:31 AM
We've not seen Elan for one whole strip, God knows what stupid things he'd done outside the prison cell by now... Maybe a female prison guard is involved.

Blue_C.
2011-01-25, 01:50 AM
Right, because leaving the city was totally not an option.

Seeing as when Haley left the city there were assassins involved, no, that likely was not a safe option. Haley wasn't a direct challenge to the guild master's authority, just a very good rogue. Ian was, and even in exile would have been a figurehead to rally around against the actually guild leader (whose name escape's me).

JoeSkull
2011-01-25, 01:53 AM
Seeing as when Haley left the city there were assassins involved, no, that likely was not a safe option. Haley wasn't a direct challenge to the guild master's authority, just a very good rogue. Ian was, and even in exile would have been a figurehead to rally around against the actually guild leader (whose name escape's me).

Buzzok, perhaps??

One Tin Soldier
2011-01-25, 02:02 AM
Heh, after two most hated teams reached the Superbowl this year, I needed my OotS fix badly. Now we have to convince Ian that yes, it's been really a coincidence.

*waves Terrible Towel*

Pretty funny comic. Can't wait to see what Elan's gotten himself up to, and how Ian reacts to him.

All hail Mr. Scruffy!

Zerobot
2011-01-25, 02:25 AM
We've not seen Elan for one whole strip, God knows what stupid things he'd done outside the prison cell by now... Maybe a female prison guard is involved.

I doubt Elan would do that to Haley, considering the only other time he made out with someone was before he knew Haley liked him.

Oh, and that one time on new years, but that was still before he knew Haley liked him. Knowing Elan, he's still probably gotten into some wacky hiji:smalltongue:nks

factotum
2011-01-25, 02:58 AM

But not rouge->rogue, then?

Burner28
2011-01-25, 05:21 AM
Liked this one

Jay R
2011-01-25, 07:31 AM

You're leaving "rouge" as it is, then?

Of course. This party exists only to improve the skin.

JoseB
2011-01-25, 09:25 AM
Of course. This party exists only to improve the skin.

B-DUM *TSSSSH*!!

Shmuel
2011-01-25, 11:10 AM

The latter isn't a correction, just a variation. "Ladybug" and "ladybird" are equally correct names for the same beetle.

Kichiku
2011-01-25, 01:04 PM
You're only saying that because my kid told you to.

Nah. :smalltongue:

And yet the father of the REAL leader considers him to be a huge disappointment. Can't say I blame Eugene, though.

Bah, as if he did any better during his heyday. It's ironic though, sure.

rewinn
2011-01-25, 01:12 PM
Wouldn't there be a conflict of alignments here? Ladybirds are typically Good but that cleric is obviously weEvil.

calar
2011-01-25, 01:51 PM
I'm liking the interesting parallels between Ian and Tarquin. Both seem enamored with their children and refuse to believe that they are anything but the main character. Despite this they remain on opposite sides of the alignment spectrum. Just some fun food for thought that I picked up on.

Scarlet Knight
2011-01-25, 03:44 PM
Wouldn't there be a conflict of alignments here? Ladybirds are typically Good but that cleric is obviously weEvil.

Grooooan! :smallwink:

Ted The Bug
2011-01-25, 04:55 PM
I hope this is a one-off strip, and that Ian doesn't actually end up thinking Haley is the leader. Too many plot points have revolved around most characters being seemingly unable to simply say what they're trying to say without getting interrupted.

Kish
2011-01-25, 05:15 PM
Ian is likely to realize after this that Roy needs to think Roy is the leader, anyway.

Whether he'll ever believe Haley isn't secretly the most influential member of the Order...well, are you certain Haley believes that?

Cerlis
2011-01-25, 06:10 PM
Ian is likely to realize after this that Roy needs to think Roy is the leader, anyway.

Whether he'll ever believe Haley isn't secretly the most influential member of the Order...well, are you certain Haley believes that?

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0129.html

I doupt she believes shes not the most influential member.

mucat
2011-01-25, 06:30 PM

Yeah, but look how tiny the cleric is. Her brother at the next table, who didn't join the party, is like three times her size.

So clearly the cleric is the lesser of two weevils.

GreenMuffin
2011-01-25, 07:09 PM

But his mom doesn't. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0495.html)

rewinn
2011-01-25, 07:25 PM
Yeah, but look how tiny the cleric is. Her brother at the next table, who didn't join the party, is like three times her size.

So clearly the cleric is the lesser of two weevils.

The brother was spying, reporting all conversation to an unnamed secret agency.

That is to say, the tavern was bugged. :smallcool:

MoonCat
2011-01-25, 10:08 PM
I hope the team never runs into Mr Scruffy. He can Smite Weevil!

Warren Dew
2011-01-25, 11:15 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0129.html

I doupt she believes shes not the most influential member.

I'm not sure I believe it, either. There's that incident, and also when the party was being formed she got herself the second in command position which gave her extra treasure but no extra responsibility, at least until Roy died.

Felixc-91
2011-01-26, 12:26 AM
KITTEN!?! Is that Haley's pet name!?! SQUEEEEE!!! I want more!

And now I'm totally thinking of Haley as a Tabby Catgirl!

More exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!!thank you for the beautiful mental image:smallbiggrin:!

@ABOVE: MADE OF WIN!

cc_kizz
2011-01-26, 02:04 AM
This made me happy to read. :-) Thank you.

Gnome Alone
2011-01-26, 03:29 AM

Nah, it's less. In #31, Vaarsuvius is angry that the Mind Flayer goes for Roy instead of V because V has "a delectable 18 Intelligence!" which implies that Roy's is less than that, but he has a higher aggregate mental attribute score than V. (I would venture to guess that Roy is slightly Wiser than V and much more Charismatic.)

Conuly
2011-01-26, 11:32 AM
The latter isn't a correction, just a variation. "Ladybug" and "ladybird" are equally correct names for the same beetle.

Of course, the variation is dialectical - ladybug is primarily used in the US. The OED cites ladybug from 1699, and ladybird from a few years earlier, 1674.

rewinn
2011-01-26, 03:06 PM
I hope the team never runs into Mr Scruffy. He can Smite Weevil!

If Mr. Scruffy is a Paladin ( possibly of the Legion of Lions (http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Paladin_orders) ), he may be hunting the warlock Kao, who is a very rare crossbreed of a Weevil and a Tick. Paladins innately dislike Kao, Tick/Weevil.

Dr.Epic
2011-01-26, 04:04 PM
Seeing as when Haley left the city there were assassins involved, no, that likely was not a safe option.

:smallconfused: What are you talking about? When Haley left the first time in Origins she was allowed to leave so long as she never came back. Ian could have just done that with Haley and never returned. Find somewhere safe to live to raise a little girl.

Haley wasn't a direct challenge to the guild master's authority, just a very good rogue. Ian was, and even in exile would have been a figurehead to rally around against the actually guild leader (whose name escape's me).

More incentive to leave. The guildmaster doesn't like you. He could find ways to harm you so you'd better leave. And once you're gone the guildmaster won't be thinking "We should track down that guy who left who continuously challenged my authority so he can do that again."

NobleCuriosity
2019-09-08, 07:12 PM
If Mr. Scruffy is a Paladin ( possibly of the Legion of Lions (http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Paladin_orders) ), he may be hunting the warlock Kao, who is a very rare crossbreed of a Weevil and a Tick. Paladins innately dislike Kao, Tick/Weevil.

I realize I’m eight years late on this one, but that was an amazing pun that deserved more love than it got.

CriticalFailure
2019-09-08, 08:47 PM
You aren't lion, I can see why that would bug you.

Peelee
2019-09-08, 09:52 PM
The Mod on the Silver Mountain: Let the dead rest.