PDA

View Full Version : [3.PF] Knowledge Junkie

bartman
2011-01-24, 05:33 PM
I am making a new character for a 3.PF game, PF rules with 3.5 stuff allowed on DM approval. My character is a 1 level Cloistered Cleric, 7 levels of Pathfinder Rogue, and 2 levels of Swordsage. The plan is to take Rogue to 10, then fill the remaining levels with Swordsage.

I am going to be playing him as a knowledge junkie, wants to learn anything and everything. Are there any tricks to buffing your knowledge skills, aside from buffing INT?

I already have Knowledge Devotion, and I took the Skill Trick Collector of Stories. Does anyone know of anything else I could be doing?

There is a spell I recall, cannot for the life of me think of the name, that would let you read a book simply by touching it. Anyone know what it is called? Also, any spells that would fit, flavor wise, would be a help too. Custom Magic Items are allowed, so I can see what I can do with those. Do not worry about wealth level, just looking for ideas, then I can cull through what I get.

Thank you in advance

FelixG
2011-01-24, 05:34 PM
Get a few masterwork tomes.

Each one applied to a different knowledge for a +2 to those skills

Psyren
2011-01-24, 05:36 PM
There is a spell I recall, cannot for the life of me think of the name, that would let you read a book simply by touching it. Anyone know what it is called?

That would be Scholar's Touch (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20041210b&page=2)

Jack_Simth
2011-01-24, 05:48 PM
I am making a new character for a 3.PF game, PF rules with 3.5 stuff allowed on DM approval. My character is a 1 level Cloistered Cleric, 7 levels of Pathfinder Rogue, and 2 levels of Swordsage. The plan is to take Rogue to 10, then fill the remaining levels with Swordsage. Well, other than it's based on your Cloistered Cleric level, rather than your character level, a straightforward Cloistered Cleric-X with at least 5 ranks in Knowledge(History) can make a roll on almost anything (most, but not all, DM's will let you use Bardic Knowledge equivalents for any Knowledge check), thanks to Lore, with a fairly high degree of success (Cloistered Cleric level + Int Mod + 2).

bartman
2011-01-24, 06:02 PM
That would be Scholar's Touch (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20041210b&page=2)
That would be the one, thank you. I thought it was a lot higher level than that.:smallsmile:

Well, other than it's based on your Cloistered Cleric level, rather than your character level, a straightforward Cloistered Cleric-X with at least 5 ranks in Knowledge(History) can make a roll on almost anything (most, but not all, DM's will let you use Bardic Knowledge equivalents for any Knowledge check), thanks to Lore, with a fairly high degree of success (Cloistered Cleric level + Int Mod + 2).
I think my knowledge checks are going to be a lot higher than any lore check I can make, unless I am mis-remembering the Bardic Knowledge rules, I will have to reread them

Psyren
2011-01-24, 06:04 PM
That would be the one, thank you. I thought it was a lot higher level than that.:smallsmile:

Combine with Autohypnosis (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/skills/autohypnosis.htm), and you can now copy an entire library word-for-word. How fast can you write?

Grelna the Blue
2011-01-24, 06:11 PM
You might want to check out the Master base class from the Dragonlance supplement War of the Lance. It's a little like a much upgraded Expert class and if you choose the Sage primary focus, knowing stuff can give you significant bonuses to hit and can also be used to figure things out in related fields you don't have ranks in.