PDA

View Full Version : Gestalt build help

Stormageddon
2011-01-24, 07:10 PM
I'm playing in my first gestalt game next week. I can't decide if I want to role a Ranger//druid or a Barbarian//druid. Which is better?

bobspldbckwrds
2011-01-24, 07:49 PM
there would be a lot of redundancy with ranger//druid, but it is a solid gestault. however, barbarian//druid works well together.

think of it like a peanut butter sandwich made with extra-creamy and extra chunky peanut butter, and a sandwich made with blueberry jelly, extra creamy peanut butter, and more anger than a canadian hockey team.

now i am hungry.

Saint GoH
2011-01-24, 07:54 PM
I personally would go for barbarian//druid. You lose your good Ref save, but you gain a slightly larger hit die, and a lovely rage which I believe can be used in Wildshape. Then you can be one seriously pissed off raging Dire Bear.

Although, Ranger druid would net you 2 animal companions, and 2 spell lists. Hrmm. Down side to Ranger is you wont really be using its combat tree's (unless you decide to not use wildshape, then why be a druid at that point?)

Urpriest
2011-01-24, 11:01 PM
I personally would go for barbarian//druid. You lose your good Ref save, but you gain a slightly larger hit die, and a lovely rage which I believe can be used in Wildshape. Then you can be one seriously pissed off raging Dire Bear.

Although, Ranger druid would net you 2 animal companions, and 2 spell lists. Hrmm. Down side to Ranger is you wont really be using its combat tree's (unless you decide to not use wildshape, then why be a druid at that point?)

If you're in the "Unarmed Strikes are fine to TWF" camp, then the Ranger's combat trees could actually be useful. Kung Fu Bears FTW.

It's a tough call...I feel like the skills of Ranger pull it ahead. A big skill list really does give a qualitative edge, even for a full caster. And you can trade out casting and the companion for more useful things.

The Rabbler
2011-01-24, 11:03 PM
have you considered an unarmed swordsage?

EDIT: instead of ranger or barbarian that is.

Maho-Tsukai
2011-01-24, 11:27 PM
If you want ridiculousness and that feat(which I forget the name of) that lets druids cast in their wildshape forms is considered to be applied to ALL casting you have(not just druid casting) then druid///cleric could be an absurdly powerful gestalt. Imagine all the buffs you could even want + wildshape..nasty...just...nasty. I don't know if it works that way, since I almost never play druids.(I usually play Clerics and Dread Necros, though I've made a lot of different characters though.) so don't take my word for it. However, if the feat dose in fact apply to only druid casting then a Druid///Barbarian seems like lots of fun. Rage + wildshape FTW.

Soren Hero
2011-01-24, 11:34 PM
If you're in the "Unarmed Strikes are fine to TWF" camp, then the Ranger's combat trees could actually be useful. Kung Fu Bears FTW.

so Kung Fu Panda?

TroubleBrewing
2011-01-25, 02:12 AM
so Kung Fu Panda?

Pandas aren't bears. Seriously. :smalltongue:

gorfnab
2011-01-25, 03:28 AM
Pandas aren't bears. Seriously. :smalltongue:
The Giant Panda is in the Family of Ursidae, which is the Bear Family. Po from the movie Kung Fu Panda is a Giant Panda.

Red Pandas on the other hand are in Family of Ailuridae, of which the Red Panda is the only living representative. It is in the Super Family of Musteloidea which includes Mephitidae (skunks), Mustelidae (weasels), and Procyonidae (raccoons). Master Shifu from the movie Kung Fu Panda is a Red Panda.

So either way you go you could have a Kung Fu Panda.

Myth
2011-01-25, 05:34 AM
Druids are awesome. You seem to want to go for a nature warrior kind of guy? My suggestion:

Desert Half-Orc Druid (taking all 3 substitute levels). Grab Rashemi Elemental Summoning if that flies with your DM. It's very very Fearuney and very very non-tolerant to Orc kin, fluffwise.

Or be a shifter and take the sub levels where that spirit thing buffs you even more.

On the other side go for an Unarmed SS 1/Ranger 6/Fighter 2/SS something to get into Eternal blade eventually. Take favored enemy: arcanists, and the mageslayer line of feats.

2xMachina
2011-01-25, 07:47 AM
I like Unarmed Swordsage//Druid. Awesome melee power. Go magical Kung Fu Dinosaurs!

Escheton
2011-01-25, 08:16 AM
Why not just ranger/barb//druid?

Barb isnt really a full class anyways, and ranger doesnt get gimped from losing a few lvls.

Myth
2011-01-25, 09:41 AM
Because the only worthy thing a Barb gets (apart from Pounce) is Rage which removes your spellcasting capabilities while you use it. Which, you know, as a Druid, you kind of want to keep as an option in combat.

gallagher
2011-01-25, 11:36 AM
The Giant Panda is in the Family of Ursidae, which is the Bear Family. Po from the movie Kung Fu Panda is a Giant Panda.

Red Pandas on the other hand are in Family of Ailuridae, of which the Red Panda is the only living representative. It is in the Super Family of Musteloidea which includes Mephitidae (skunks), Mustelidae (weasels), and Procyonidae (raccoons). Master Shifu from the movie Kung Fu Panda is a Red Panda.

So either way you go you could have a Kung Fu Panda.

first of all... *high five*

second of all, my suggestion. i say if you are set between ranger and barb, you go barb. even though you cant cast while raging, you might not be a summoning focus, so you can focus on buffs which you would do before raging anyway. i would only go with a ranger if your DM lets you retrain TWF for multi-weapon fighting or whatever. then ranger would definitely be more worth it.

if you are not absolutely set on either of those two, may i suggest psychic warrior? WIS would obviously be pumped for maximum effectiveness. if you convince your DM, or homebrew a Natural Power if there isnt one already (i havent looked to be honest), then you can get your awesome manifesting buffs in there too.

higher AC, poison to your natural weapons, the best bite attack in the game, pouncing ability nomatter what you wildshape into, exapansion to two sizes larger, there is just so much to love.