PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Rogue (scout archetype) build help

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-01-24, 08:38 PM
Was thinking about making one of these just for the hell of it. Was wondering if anyone had made one yet, or had any ideas of hoe to go about it. Its a Rogue ACF in the Advanced Players Guide if you didnt know.

Some thing I was thinking about:

Combat Patrol feat

Shadowdancer dip for HiPS

Spring Attack

Following Step and Step Up and Strike

Lunge

Any ideas along these lines or along more imaginative ones is much appreciated!

grarrrg
2011-01-24, 10:23 PM
Its a Rogue ACF in the Advanced Players Guide if you didnt know.

I'll probably add something useful later, but for now:
Links are helpful (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue#TOC-Scout), especially ones to the PFSRD.

grarrrg
2011-01-24, 11:07 PM
I'm going to start by assuming you are NOT going Two-Weapon fighting. This leaves 2-handed or Sword/Shield.

Some thing I was thinking about:

Combat Patrol feat
Spring Attack
Following Step and Step Up and Strike
Lunge

Very feat intensive, I'd recommend taking either the Step line, or the Dodge>Mobile line. Doing both is just too many feats.

Lunge is take-it-or-leave-it, though it can be useful.

Shadowdancer dip for HiPS

Going the Rogue/Scout route, HiPS looses a lot of value, as you won't need to actually 'sneak' to 'sneak attack'.
Then again, if you go for Combat Patrol, you'll already have most of the requirements. I wouldn't go more than 2 levels though, as it doesn't advance Sneak Attack, and most of the Shadow abilities aren't that great. Side note, at level 2 you will regain the Uncanny Dodge you lost from taking the Scout ACF.

Alternate options:
You may want to dip 2 levels of Fighter for Feats. Mobile Fighter (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/fighter#TOC-Mobile-Fighter) ACF to be specific.

Horizon Walker (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/horizon-walker) for a level or two to obtain Favored Terrain (and D10 hp with full Bab). While in one of your Favored Terrains you gain a +2 bonus to Initiative, Stealth, and Perception.

If going the Dodge/Mobility route, you may want to dip Duelist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/duelist) for 2 levels (Duelists can wear Light Armor in PF). You'd gain full Bab, d10 hp, +2 Initiative, +2 AC, and +2 Precision Damage.

DukeofDellot
2011-01-25, 04:54 AM
Something to consider, the Sniper Achetype has no overlap with the Scout archetype, and can be used in conjunction (ask your GM first!) as well, you could consider taking the Major Magic Rogue talent to pick up Expedious Retreat. Spring attack is nifty too...

Eventually you'll be able to sneak attack from further than an opponent can charge. And if they're aware of you, just dash backwards and fire a shot at them; they won't reach you.

As your minor magic, pick up a touch attack spell. You can sneak attack with those! ... Just be sure and ask your GM if he's willing to allow such tomfoolery since a creature's combined Touch and Flatfoot often results in ridiculously low values.

Dispelling Attack is pretty sweet (especially since you just have to move to get the effect) just make sure the prereqs aren't dead weight (Buffing spells that don't have "Target: You" should be taken by your party wizard. Scrolls and Use Magic Device can handle a lot of situational spells, ect.)

You know, I'm not the biggest optimizer, I've just put a lot of thought into this guy. I want to play him, but with the number of players in my group that only play rogue-type characters, and the sheer amount of GM time I get means I'll probably never get to.

Hawkflight
2011-01-25, 09:14 AM
Idea. If you have the levels, dip 3 levels into the Scout from Complete Adventurer and get the Swift Ambusher and Improved Skirmish feats. By Rogue level 8 (character level 11), you have +8d6 damage and +4 AC just for moving 20 feet. (And at Rogue level 8 you can just simplify things and combine Sneak Attack and Skirmish into one stat, as they function the same by then.) Bit of Craven for extra awesome.

Also, take 2 levels in Swordsage. Invisibility / flanking at will combined with Fan The Flames (ranged touch attack) makes for some fun times.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-01-25, 01:15 PM
Pathfinder only for this guys, sorry. I figured you'd noticed I didnt put a "pathfinder/3.5" or "3.P" :smallbiggrin:

Hawkflight
2011-01-25, 02:02 PM
You know that Pathfinder is backwards-compatible with 3.5, right? ;p

Kaldrin
2011-01-25, 03:21 PM
You know that Pathfinder is backwards-compatible with 3.5, right? ;p

I wouldn't say that it is compatible as is. There's a lot of tweaking that we've done when considering classes and feats.

DukeofDellot
2011-01-25, 04:12 PM
Pathfinder only for this guys, sorry.

My post didn't leave Pathfinder...

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-01-25, 07:43 PM
No, your post did not. I was mostly referring to Hawkflight's post, as valuable as it would be for a 3.P game.

Benly
2011-01-25, 09:13 PM
Also, even in a game that allows 3.5 grandfathering, I would tend to consider the Scout Archetype to be the PF update for the Scout.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-01-25, 09:48 PM
Also, even in a game that allows 3.5 grandfathering, I would tend to consider the Scout Archetype to be the PF update for the Scout.

Thats kind of where i was going with that. plus, our group has a tendency to give unofficial props to anyone who manages to make a build that doesnt rely on 3.5 material: We can, we just try not to.

Currently, I have this:

Human, level 8 Rogue scout Archetype:

1 Dodge
1 Mobility
3 Combat Reflexes
5 Combat Patrol
7 Spring Attack

Rogue Talents:

RT2 finesse
RT4 Surprise Attack
RT6 Fast Stealth?
RT8 Combat Trick: Vital Strike?

Plan on having a Wand Bracer (300gp, Dungeonscape) and Wand Chambers in a buckler and rapier.

wand of swift invisibility
wand of acid splash (ranged touch!)
wand of true strike
wand of Vanish CL 2
wand of darkvision
wand of cure light wounds
wand of expeditious retreat

(when I have the monies, wand of Improved Invisibility! if my UMD is high enough, I'll get a few scrolls of that now)

I plan on using Expeditious Retreat whenever I use Combat Patrol, so as to get many attacks of opportunity

I also plan on using improved invisibility later with Combat Patrol, so that foes dont know im there and trigger AoO as a result, and give me Sneak Attack damage every time.

Any ideas of where to go after this? or do I have it down? Any more advice?
Thanks in advance Playgrounders!