PDA

View Full Version : Frozen car covered with ice

IsaacTheHungry
2011-01-24, 11:48 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/video/newyorkcbs2-15751042/car-frozen-in-place-23949191

:smalleek: it looked like half an inch thick at least

all he did we park next to a pothole but add water in the pothook plus passing cars plus cold and you get a car-sickle

Asthix
2011-01-25, 12:20 AM
Well that doesn't look so bad just a little ice on the back there - ...

Oh. Oh dear.:smalleek:

Traab
2011-01-25, 12:26 AM
Only thing I can think of is, get a couple hair dryers, one on the inside, one on the outside, and just get started. Leave the damn windows alone! Give the hair dryers a solid 15-20 minutes to work on both sides, then try to pry the ice off starting from the top. You may still end up pulling off a chunk of the window along with the ice, but its better than smacking it with a frigging hammer and screwdriver!

Haruki-kun
2011-01-25, 12:35 AM
....nope. Gonna have to wait until spring with that one. >.<

Toastkart
2011-01-25, 06:37 AM
You may still end up pulling off a chunk of the window along with the ice, but its better than smacking it with a frigging hammer and screwdriver!

You know, I could understand the hammer and screwdriver being used for breaking the wheels free, maybe even at the seams of the doors, but why oh why would you try it anywhere near the windows?

The week before last, my car was covered in ice, although nowhere near as thickly as this one except on top. The thin layer melted enough to fall off, and I pried the top layer off in chunks.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/Einhander/DSCN4126.jpg

KuReshtin
2011-01-25, 08:16 AM
I sent the link to this video to one of my colleagues, and he mentioned something similar in Geneva, Switzerland.

Well, not really a pothole where water was splashed over the car, but rather an ice storm, where ice cold water from the lake was blown in over the shoreline and instantly froze when it touched anything.
Link to the photo gallery here (http://www.pbase.com/scherrer/january_2005_ice_storm)

There were some unfortunate cars, and boats in that gallery.

Eldan
2011-01-25, 08:17 AM
I sent the link to this video to one of my colleagues, and he mentioned something similar in Geneva, Switzerland.

Well, not really a pothole where water was splashed over the car, but rather an ice storm, where ice cold water from the lake was blown in over the shoreline and instantly froze when it touched anything.
Link to the photo gallery here (http://www.pbase.com/scherrer/january_2005_ice_storm)

There were some unfortunate cars, and boats in that gallery.

Ah, yes. That happens more or less every winter, though.

grimbold
2011-01-25, 04:02 PM
wow
how bout when my car was under 5 feet of snow
and i lived in pennsylvania at the time!

The Vorpal Tribble
2011-01-25, 04:04 PM
Um... spray it down with warm water? :smallconfused:

Done it to mine, when it got iced over. It works.

Just start pouring buckets of hot or even boiling water over bits. Luke-warm near the windows so the sudden temp change doesn't bust them.

Haruki-kun
2011-01-25, 04:05 PM
Um... spray it down with warm water?:smallconfused:

Done it to mine, when it got iced over. It works.

Wouldn't the warm water freeze again, though? If the temperature is below freezing point?

The Vorpal Tribble
2011-01-25, 04:07 PM
Wouldn't the warm water freeze again, though? If the temperature is below freezing point?
Wouldn't be more than a film, and you can deal with that. Also, if you've gotten rid of the ice, get someone to dry it off with a few towels.

May take a little time, but far less than any other proposals, and very little damage potential.

FoE
2011-01-25, 04:08 PM

It doesn't freeze instantly. That's how you get someone's tongue off of a metal post if they're stupid enough to lick one during freezing temperatures.

Haruki-kun
2011-01-25, 04:10 PM
Ah. Makes sense.

.....you know, the tongue stuck to a lamppost is a pretty common joke in media, but as someone who lives in the tropic, I always wondered: WHY do people lick it in the first place? :smallconfused:

FoE
2011-01-25, 04:11 PM
As a dare. Cruel playground hijinks.

KuReshtin
2011-01-25, 04:57 PM
WHY do people lick it in the first place? :smallconfused:

This:

As a dare. Cruel playground hijinks.

Also. People are stupid.

fimzo
2011-01-25, 05:20 PM
Also. People are stupid.

Absolutely this. And dares, too.

I live in Minnesota, and before that Michigan, and have never seen this. We have snow problems all the time, but not that bad.

CynicalAvocado
2011-01-25, 07:22 PM
Ah. Makes sense.

.....you know, the tongue stuck to a lamppost is a pretty common joke in media, but as someone who lives in the tropic, I always wondered: WHY do people lick it in the first place? :smallconfused:

it looked like a popsicle.

KerfuffleMach2
2011-01-25, 09:13 PM
I live in Minnesota, and before that Michigan, and have never seen this. We have snow problems all the time, but not that bad.

Yay Michigan!

Now that that's out of my system...

I've gotten a thin layer of ice on my car before a few times. But, it was small enough that a good yank on my door handle broke the ice.

I work at a U-HAUL, and we'll get trucks in from out of state that'll have windswept ice all over the front. Actually looks pretty awesome.

Icewalker
2011-01-26, 03:12 AM
Impressive. And artistic! You can do some quite beautiful things with art, whether 'you' are an artist, or simply a combination of nature, physics, and bad luck :smalltongue:

Edit: also I'm keeping that ice storm in Geneva photo album as a source of reference pictures for a place assaulted by high intensity ice magic.