PDA

View Full Version : Sports Roleplaying Games

Aemoh87
2011-01-24, 11:59 PM
I was wondering if there are any good sports role playing games. I have played some blood bowl but it's obviously to expensive to get casual players into it. Unless your a hardcore table top guy you would never even consider it. But I have been adapting some rules to attempt to make a football franchise game that plays quickly but is still very strategic.

If anyone knows of any already existing sports role playing games that are good let me know, it will defiantly help!

TroubleBrewing
2011-01-25, 01:56 AM
... Madden? (Seriously, I've got nothing.)

DukeofDellot
2011-01-25, 03:55 AM
I remember a while back I saw a thread on the GURPS forum about making cinematic Martial Arts Styles based off of several sports. They had Football, American Football, and Hockey... I think... I doubt that's what you're looking for.

But that's as close as I can come up with.

Honestly, I know I could handle it with GURPS... ... ... But... you know... This is like when we were LARPing, and these guys were like, "Hey I brought a football! Let's play football with swords!" And I recall remembering why I didn't make the team in highshool... no interest.

Okay, so you'd have a catch skill (DX/E) and whenever you are in position, I guess that would be adjacent to the receiver and between him and the Quarterback, you may attempt to intercept as like a quick contest. A tackle is a grapple, possibly with the Wrestling skill or strait up DX, against a dodge active defense... Acrobatics might be useful to leapfrog others (if you get a joker like that). Otherwise there would be a lot of wait maneuvers... a lot of them, all the time. If you're NFL level, then everyone has Combat Reflexes and Enhanced Defense (Dodge), and a lot of receivers (and certain defensive players) will pick up enhanced move... possibly just a half level, maybe a whole one, but not likely more than that (and maybe outlaw that so that they have to pay full price for their Move).

I believe I'm done thinking about this.

FelixG
2011-01-25, 06:43 AM
Your best bet? buy some legos and make some small simple figurines to represent your different creatures for blood bowl.

You then can use the comprehensive rule sets without paying the absurd prices for the minis.

agentnone
2011-01-25, 07:49 AM
Your best bet? buy some legos and make some small simple figurines to represent your different creatures for blood bowl.

You then can use the comprehensive rule sets without paying the absurd prices for the minis.

I do this already. With my D&D games. Legos work great for putting up barriers/walls or rough terrain. Not to mention they have flat pieces to let the guys stand on that fit just inside a square on a grid mat. Plus you can outfit them with swords and armor.

With that said, I second this recommendation. Lego guys aren't cheap (they sell them on their website if the local Wal-Mart is out of them) but I'm sure they're a lot cheaper than mini figurines. Plus they can be used for almost any kind of game anyway. So it's a win-win. :smallsmile:

Aemoh87
2011-01-25, 11:29 AM
Well my collection of legos is substantial. But I was just wondering if there were any more realistic than blood bowl since it really isn't football at all. (My players have come to realize it's easier to kill your opponent than to beat them outright) but I suppose I will work diligently on the system I am making now.

If you remember there was a football card game that used a bar code scanner, I have incorporated several elements of that as well as the game risk. The biggest setback so far is the several simple rolls are turning into one complicated mess :( But I am trying to streamline it without removing the strategy element or the chaos.

Urpriest
2011-01-25, 11:48 AM
Well my collection of legos is substantial. But I was just wondering if there were any more realistic than blood bowl since it really isn't football at all. (My players have come to realize it's easier to kill your opponent than to beat them outright) but I suppose I will work diligently on the system I am making now.

Isn't that true it football as well though?

Psyren
2011-01-25, 11:49 AM
Aren't Fantasy Football and other such league-type games just another form of roleplaying/party-building?

Though you may want a Budweiser (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/9/25/) if you play :smallwink:

Aemoh87
2011-01-25, 12:00 PM
Not really, it's more gambling. This would be a system of team management as well as strategy.

The key to the game is you would pick plays> plays would pick key players> key players would perform checks that modify the success of a play> the play would end on a success check.
A low check would be a loss a loss of yards or a turn over. A high check would be a gain of yards or a touchdown. And in the middle would be varying degrees of success.

The big strategy is different plays get influenced by different players, while also targeting different players on defense. So you want to exploit your strengths and your opponents weaknesses. The defense also attempts the same strategy with slightly different mechanics.

Each team is allowed 25 total plays and there is also a game clock mechanic.

big teej
2011-01-26, 12:12 PM
there was a board game put out a while back called battle bowl or something like that

it was essentially football set in the future

you had recievers, tackles, 'heavy tackle's and a few other positions

each were color coded

each color had a coresponding die that you rolled to determine how far they could move (recievers used d20s, Dbacks used d12s and on down the line )

I would recommend looking that up and building from there.

Aemoh87
2011-01-26, 03:44 PM
I am attempting to make it much faster paced than that. The success of individuals is measured with "Risk" like attack and defense rolls. But I want it to have more a coach and gm feeling and less of this is a board game with a slight football theme.

BG
2011-01-26, 08:37 PM
If I remember correctly there's an Eberron version of shifter football/rugby.

My friends and I also thought a lot about an e6 version of D&D football, but unfortunately, D&D isn't quite cut out for such a thing without extensive house-ruling.

Saveducks
2011-01-26, 08:45 PM
there was a board game put out a while back called battle bowl or something like that

it was essentially football set in the future

you had recievers, tackles, 'heavy tackle's and a few other positions

each were color coded

each color had a coresponding die that you rolled to determine how far they could move (recievers used d20s, Dbacks used d12s and on down the line )

I would recommend looking that up and building from there.

I think it's called Battle Ball

KillianHawkeye
2011-01-26, 09:23 PM

Isn't that true it football as well though?

Yes, but murdering the opposing team members isn't a legal option in the rules of standard football.

EDIT: I think somebody on the Homebrew forums had a D&D version of Blitzball (from Final Fantasy X). It's basically like underwater rugby.

big teej
2011-01-26, 11:28 PM
I think it's called Battle Ball

that sounds right.

big guy with a football stiffarming a guy on the box? another guy in the background getting his head pulled off?

thats it then.