PDA

View Full Version : Derengaurd (A world for DND)

KingOfLaughter
2011-01-25, 12:00 AM
So this is my attempt at designing a world, for use in any DND campaign.
The world is a large one, and Deregaurd is only one small part of this world, but Derengaurd is where my focus lies... For now...

This continent is not full of powerful nations, or striving heroes, no, this continent is full of hate, distrust, deceit, betrayal, and above all greed. The nations have come upon dark times, in a world normally covered in warfare,a strained peace has been raised, if only because the coffers of the empires lie empty.

Derengaurd

“A world built on myth and false gods, is not a world that most would chose, or even enjoy, to live in. But alas, this is our world, and we must live in it” –King Decun Von Mastu I

The old history
History, as the texts of old presented it.
No one truly knows when this world was created, but instantly the gods went to work, forming the world to their whims, creating vast oceans, and tiny islands. Giant beasts rose from the depths, and the gods created their final creatures. One to model each god, a short and stout race of mountain dwellers, who called themselves Dwarves, were modeled after the god Baerjun. A tall slender race with sharp pointed features, who decided upon themselves the name of Elves, was modeled after the god Asa Mi Diath. A race of tall, yet slightly bulky humanoids who called themselves Men, were modeled after the god Odisian. There was a race of large hulking figures, who named themselves Orcs, who were modeled after the god Gorrug Shall Thuk. There was a final race made by the gods, a short race, who’s very personality made them loveable by all, they called themselves Gnomes, and were modeled after the god Stendar.

It was these races that the gods designed to inhabit their creation, but there was one god, who was not designed a race. This god took it upon himself to make sure these other races could not rise up and over throw the gods. This final god created the beasts of lore: great dragons, hulking minotaurs, flying terrors to fill the night sky. This god created disease and famine, ways to clear the world if it should ever grow too strong.
This gods name was known simply as Decessus.

It did not take long for the gods creations to find magic, and build great cities. It did not take long for war to set in, nor did it take long for greed. But the gods expected this, wanted this. What a better way to test your creations them to have them battle each other? Of course these original nations did not last long, and it took a true king warrior to bring into being the first true kingdom. After nearly ten thousand years of warfare, the rise and fall of many empires, it would finally be Decun Von Mastu I who would create the first stable empire. He rallied the tribes of the north and soon expanded, creating the largest stable nation that Derengaurd had ever seen. Soon after those of magic talent rallied together and moved off of the continent, bringing themselves to the isles off the east coast, and their leader, Eldred St.Claire named the island chain the Isles Of Destiny, and using his magic he built was is commonly recognized as the seat of all magic power, a tower known as The Sanctuary of Fate. Soon after this a Gnome somehow managed to gain himself possession of the entire Bearded Mountain range, and soon changed the name to Musica Mountains, and despite all of this, the gods just watched, because this was how the world was meant to be. It was not soon after that the gods were denounced as false. It was King Decun Von Mastu III that finally had the gods written in as lies, and had all that would chose to believe in them deemed heretics, dragged into a public space, and then they were drawn and quartered, but it was done slowly, with oxen, to show that no heretics would ever be left alive.

More to come soon. Just felt GiTP needed to see what I have in store!
Coming soon!
The new history!

Also feel free to give me CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, and point out any selling mistakes I make. =P

Sir_Chivalry
2011-01-25, 01:57 AM
So this is my attempt at designing a world, for use in any DND campaign.
The world is a large one, and Deregaurd is only one small part of this world, but Derengaurd is where my focus lies... For now...

This continent is not full of powerful nations, or striving heroes, no, this continent is full of hate, distrust, deceit, betrayal, and above all greed. The nations have come upon dark times, in a world normally covered in warfare,a strained peace has been raised, if only because the coffers of the empires lie empty.

Derengaurd

“A world built on myth and false gods, is not a world that most would chose, or even enjoy, to live in. But alas, this is our world, and we must live in it” –King Decun Von Mastu I

The old history
History, as the texts of old presented it.
No one truly knows when this world was created, but instantly the gods went to work, forming the world to their whims, creating vast oceans, and tiny islands. Giant beasts rose from the depths, and the gods created their final creatures. One to model each god, a short and stout race of mountain dwellers, who called themselves Dwarves, were modeled after the god Baerjun. A tall slender race with sharp pointed features, who decided upon themselves the name of Elves, was modeled after the god Asa Mi Diath. A race of tall, yet slightly bulky humanoids who called themselves Men, were modeled after the god Odisian. There was a race of large hulking figures, who named themselves Orcs, who were modeled after the god Gorrug Shall Thuk. There was a final race made by the gods, a short race, who’sse very personality made them loveable by all, they called themselves Gnomes, and were modeled after the god Stendar.

It was these races that the gods designed to inhabit their creation, but there was one god, who was not designed a race. This god took it upon himself to make sure these other races could not rise up and over throw the gods. This final god created the beasts of lore: great dragons, hulking minotaurs, flying terrors to fill the night sky. This god created disease and famine, ways to clear the world if it should ever grow too strong.
This god's name was known simply as Decessus.

It did not take long for the gods' creations to find magic, and build great cities. It did not take long for war to set in, nor did it take long for greed. But the gods expected this, wanted this. What a better way to test your creations them to have them battle each other? Of course these original nations did not last long, and it took a true king warrior to bring into being the first true kingdom. After nearly ten thousand years of warfare, the rise and fall of many empires, it would finally be Decun Von Mastu I who would create the first stable empire. He rallied the tribes of the north and soon expanded,; creating the largest stable nation that Derengaurd had ever seen. Soon after those of magic talent rallied together and moved off of the continent, bringing themselves to the isles off the east coast, and their leader, Eldred St.Claire named the island chain the Isles Of Destiny, and using his magic he built was is commonly recognized as the seat of all magic power, a tower known as The Sanctuary of Fate. Soon after this a Gnome somehow managed to gain himself possession of the entire Bearded Mountain range, and soon changed the name to Musica Mountains, and despite all of this, the gods just watched, because this was how the world was meant to be. It was not soon after that the gods were denounced as false. It was King Decun Von Mastu III that finally had the gods written in as lies, and had all that would chose to believe in them deemed heretics, dragged into a public space, and then they were drawn and quartered, but it was done slowly, with oxen, to show that no heretics would ever be left alive.

More to come soon. Just felt GiTP needed to see what I have in store!
Coming soon!
The new history!

Also feel free to give me CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, and point out any selling mistakes I make. =P

Well to start with, if you want critisism, you might choose a font that doesn't make you cross-eyed. Just saying.

Why do people worship the gods if their creation myths paint them as fickle petulant children?

Also, all these names don't follow a theme. You have names like Asa Mi Diath and Stendar in the same pantheon. Which culture is this emulating?

Why didn't those with magic retake their lands from the empire? Why did they flee the empire? Why didn't the empire pursue them if they were a threat?

If the gods are false, who do the people worship? The king?

Also you say King Decun Von Mastu III denounced the gods as false, but then why does King Decun Von Mastu I use the term in his quote?

KingOfLaughter
2011-01-25, 07:20 AM
Well to start with, if you want critisism, you might choose a font that doesn't make you cross-eyed. Just saying.

Atleast I'm not alone with that one =P I'll change it.

Why do people worship the gods if their creation myths paint them as fickle petulant children?
They worshiped them originally, but they don't anymore

Also, all these names don't follow a theme. You have names like Asa Mi Diath and Stendar in the same pantheon. Which culture is this emulating?
This is because the gods names are set (attempted to be set) like the names each race uses.

Why didn't those with magic retake their lands from the empire? Why did they flee the empire? Why didn't the empire pursue them if they were a threat?
Most of the mages found their homelands too chaotic for them to really learn and practice magic, and that is why most leave these lands for the Isles of Destiny

If the gods are false, who do the people worship? The king?
Most people don't really use worship, there is the rare paladin, or cleric, or hidden cult that does, but most people, only go about their daily lives in a semi regular peace.

Also you say King Decun Von Mastu III denounced the gods as false, but then why does King Decun Von Mastu I use the term in his quote?
This is something that will be solved when the New History arrives.

Thank you for your feedback