PDA

View Full Version : Charactor help! [d20 modern, darkmatter]

Yeturs
2011-01-25, 01:18 AM
So, I have played d20 future before, but there was no magic or psionics. I assume the rules for magic and psionics are the same for darkmatter as they are for 3.5, and I know those pretty well :P

So. My help I would like is this. I want to be a diobolist. I want to max that class out asap. But I would also like to dip some telepath before that. I checked my local fm and he approved the idea.

But is it worth it? I wouldn't have more then two or three telepath levels throughout most of the game, and I don't need it for a prereq.

So would Mage be better then telepath? Remember I only have like 3 max levels. So I will mainly be buffing and doing some out of combat stuff with it.

If neither are worth it, what should I take? I want to avoid Divine if I can.

And what base hero should I be? I lean to charismatic, but smart could work I think.

And any important items? Don't know the PL, but I assume it's 5 (or whatever current norm is in modern.)

And any rough builds at least up to diabolist would be awesome. Diobolist is in the dark matter book in case you are unaware.

Rappy
2011-01-25, 07:09 PM
So, I have played d20 future before, but there was no magic or psionics. I assume the rules for magic and psionics are the same for darkmatter as they are for 3.5, and I know those pretty well :P
Mostly, although spells only go up to 5th level in d20 Modern, and there's some differences in spell lists.

So would Mage be better then telepath? Remember I only have like 3 max levels. So I will mainly be buffing and doing some out of combat stuff with it.
I would suggest Acolyte, but since you want to avoid divine spellcasters, I'd suggest taking either Mage or Occultist. While the Occultist doesn't get spells proper, they can use scrolls to produce arcane spells; on top of that, they have Spell Resistance, which is a livesaver if the Diabolist's Summon Fiend check fails and you have an angry abyssal horror chomping at the bit to eviscerate the foolish mortal that brought it into the human realm.

And what base hero should I be? I lean to charismatic, but smart could work I think.
With the right occupation to get the extra class skills to qualify for Occultist and Diabolist...Charismatic Hero all the way. The only reason I'd choose Smart Hero over it for a Diabolist is if you want Savant to beef up your Knowledge (Arcane Lore) bonus.

And any important items? Don't know the PL, but I assume it's 5 (or whatever current norm is in modern.)
PL 5 is "baseline modern", although knowing the right people in the Dark*Matter campaign setting (such as the Hoffman Institute) could probably get you some PL 6 or possibly even early PL 7 technology...not that brandishing it would win you many friends from the umpteen illuminati organizations in the setting.

And any rough builds at least up to diabolist would be awesome. Diobolist
Presuming you meant "3 levels of the advanced class" rather than "3 levels of classes overall" (otherwise you're rather stunted on meeting the prerequisites for Diabolist...or any prestige class, for that matter), I'd suggest the following (note that I'm not exactly an "optimizer", this is just my personal suggestion):
Take Academic as your occupation, choosing Decipher Script and Research as two of your new class skills from it; the third one is your choice, although buffing up Knowledge (Arcane Lore) wouldn't hurt. This eliminates the need to take any dip into Smart Hero.
Your two starting feats (presuming you're human) would probably be best served going toward Personal Firearms Proficiency (if you're a firearms user, that is) and either Open Minded (if you need the extra skill points) or Closed Mind (if you expect a lot of psionic intrusions).
Take 5 levels of Charismatic Hero. For your talents, I'd suggest either Fast-Talk and Dazzle for kissing up to those things you can't control or Charm and Coordinate for a team player. For your bonus feat, I'd go with either Deceptive or Trustworthy, depending on which social skills you want to beef up. Finally, I'd suggest putting 6 ranks into Decipher Script, Knowledge (Arcane Lore), and Research to qualify for Occultist, 8 ranks into Intimidate to qualify for Diabolist, two ranks to get both Read/Write and Speak either Abyssal or Infernal, and split whatever remains between Bluff, Diplomacy, and Gather Information.
Now that you're fully qualified, take those 3 levels of Occultist you want. For skills, overdose those ranks of Concentration and use Magic Device and spent at least 2 points to cross-class a ninth rank on Intimidate; beyond that, do with it as you wish. For the fourth character level bonus feat you passed up, select whatever appeals to you most, and for the Occultist proper's third level bonus feat pick up Intimidate.
Voila, you are fully qualified to enter Diabolist! Go and have fun with your demon binding.