PDA

View Full Version : Hilgya Will Be Back, Possibly Next Arc

Mr. Zolrane
2011-01-25, 09:30 AM
Just like the thread title says. The reason being that I predict the next arc will focus on Durkon, and Hilgya is the only former Linear Guild member who's both A) Alive and B) Not written out in a comical fashion (like Zz'dtri, and to a lesser extent, Leeky and Pompey), but rather survived and had a dramatic and rather tragic exit. We don't know for a fact that she even escaped the Dungeon of Dorukan, but I doubt Rich would just kill her offscreen and never so much as mention it. Thoughts?

Dusk Eclipse
2011-01-25, 09:37 AM
I doubt it, I mean Rich hasn't even make a reference to her in what? more than 600 strips? I guess it could happen, but I don't think so.

Swordpriest
2011-01-25, 09:44 AM
It's possible, if there's going to be a "Durkon arc", otherwise, I'd say the chance is about zero.

Comet
2011-01-25, 10:08 AM
Could be.

Sure. Nothing to do but wait and see now, yeah?

Mr. Snuggles
2011-01-25, 10:12 AM
No way, man. She's done. Her picture even had a "X" over it on the IFCC's photo, along with Zz'dtri and Yikyik. Give it up man, she ain't coming back.

Cizak
2011-01-25, 10:36 AM
Well, I'd actually say it's pretty bad writing on rich's part if he doesn't bring her back. I mean, what was her purpose? "Hi, I'm Hylgya. I'm not really evil. Now I'm having sex with Durkon. Now we're fighting. Bye!" I think she needs a better finish before she can leave.

Dr.Epic
2011-01-25, 10:43 AM
The reason being that I predict the next arc will focus on Durkon, and Hilgya is the only former Linear Guild member who's both A) Alive and B) Not written out in a comical fashion (like Zz'dtri, and to a lesser extent, Leeky and Pompey)

What's your reasoning for this? We have no evidence suggesting Durkon's going to be the focal character for the next part of the story. And even if we did, there's also no proof Hilgya will return.

factotum
2011-01-25, 12:48 PM
Well, I'd actually say it's pretty bad writing on rich's part if he doesn't bring her back. I mean, what was her purpose?

Her purpose was to show that Durkon's dwarven dedication to duty would override anything else, even meeting the love of his life. It was a character-defining moment for Durkon, and we do not need to see Hilgya again to reinforce it.

NerfTW
2011-01-25, 01:22 PM
Well, I'd actually say it's pretty bad writing on rich's part if he doesn't bring her back. I mean, what was her purpose? "Hi, I'm Hylgya. I'm not really evil. Now I'm having sex with Durkon. Now we're fighting. Bye!" I think she needs a better finish before she can leave.

Her purpose was to be the sixth member of the linear guild. I mean, you might as well argue that Yikyik and Zz'dtri need to come back or it's "bad writing". After all, what was their purpose? "Hi, I'm a psychotic Kobold. I die easily and make nice hats." or "Hi, I'm a parody of Drizzt Durdon (can't even be bothered to remember the spelling). I'm powerful. Now I'm being dragged away due to a fourth wall breaking joke!"

Thorcrest
2011-01-25, 03:42 PM
No way, man. She's done. Her picture even had a "X" over it on the IFCC's photo, along with Zz'dtri and Yikyik. Give it up man, she ain't coming back.

That X doesn't necessarily mean dead... it could simply be that she is no longer working for them (as she is not part of the Linear Guild), and that she is out of their equation.

Now, as to the likeliness of her demise: High, they did blow up that whole dungeon, but I would like to see her return... even if it is just wishful thinking.

DeltaEmil
2011-01-25, 04:09 PM
Just because Rich Burlew hasn't mentioned her for years in real life and over 600 strips ago doesn't mean that he won't show her again if he feels that it would serve the story.
And of course, the opposite also holds true. If he thinks that she has no place in the story-arc, then we won't see her again, no matter how many years it has already been.

There can be a various reasons for her to reappear in the comic, like seeking revenge, trying to gain control of the gate for Loki (whereas she might be one of the alluded parties trying to do that), perhaps scheming and doing nefarious things in the dwarven homelands when Durkon returns dead, having reformed and lending a hand when the party needs a new cleric after Durkon's demise in whatever way the future holds, or her teaming up with Leeky Windstaff, the gnome druid, to wreck havoc in some way.

Grelna the Blue
2011-01-25, 04:17 PM
Oh c'mon, guys,

Of COURSE Hilgya is going to show up again. How else would Durkon find out that he's now a father? I figure she's been gone so long because dwarven gestation takes a while. Plus infants are hard to take on adventures.

martianmister
2011-01-25, 04:58 PM
How many times is pass till now?

WowWeird
2011-01-25, 05:00 PM
What's your reasoning for this? We have no evidence suggesting Durkon's going to be the focal character for the next part of the story.

Most of the arguments for Durkon "owning" the next plot arc center around the pictures that have been put on the cover of the print editions; while I can't remember the exact order, everyone's apparently had a book but him. Thus he is going to be the focus.
It makes sense.
It really does.
Shut up! I know I'll be right, just wait and see.
And no, OTOOPCs doesn't count! What gave you that silly idea?!?

Doug Lampert
2011-01-25, 09:25 PM
What's your reasoning for this? We have no evidence suggesting Durkon's going to be the focal character for the next part of the story. And even if we did, there's also no proof Hilgya will return.

Most of the arguments for Durkon "owning" the next plot arc center around the pictures that have been put on the cover of the print editions; while I can't remember the exact order, everyone's apparently had a book but him. Thus he is going to be the focus.
It makes sense.
It really does.
Shut up! I know I'll be right, just wait and see.
And no, OTOOPCs doesn't count! What gave you that silly idea?!?

The other thing is, Hilgya was last seen strip 84.

Since then he's fought Leeky Windstaff, and been the butt of various tree jokes. The one arc he had was VERY short. Hilgya has been in 18 strips, only 5 of which were when she and Durkon were alone together.

That's it. Durkon's character development was 5 strips almost 700 strips ago, a couple of tree jokes, and this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0333.html).

He's due. If Rich EVER want's Durkon to be more than a bandaid box for the other PCs he's got to give him an arc sometime.

And if not now when? Durkon returns home posthumously, remind me again, where was the gate Serini defended as a memorial to Kraagor?

Now, maybe Rich just doesn't think Durkon is funny, and that's all there will ever be. But if there's ever going to be more it has to be soon, and it needs a major story arc.

snikrept
2011-01-26, 12:40 AM
One of the Gates is in or near the dwarven homelands.

Chance of a Durkon focused arc when the OOTS get there is very high.

Gift Jeraff
2011-01-26, 12:47 AM
And if not now when? Durkon returns home posthumously, remind me again, where was the gate Serini defended as a memorial to Kraagor?
There's always his blossoming friendship with Malack, and the possibility that he will have no choice but to lie/disobey the law. Of course, it would likely be overshadowed by Elan and Haley's plots.

SPoD
2011-01-26, 06:47 PM
One of the Gates is in or near the dwarven homelands.

Chance of a Durkon focused arc when the OOTS get there is very high.

This. There is almost no reason for the author to put the last gate in dwarven lands and then specifically exile his dwarven character from dwarven lands if he's not planning on someday telling a story that deals with the ramifications of that dwarf returning. The chance of there being a Durkon-focused storyline at some point after they leave the Western Continent is about 95%, with the other 5% representing Rich completely changing his mind and not carrying out the story he has so clearly been setting up since Origins came out.

Whether Hilgya will be involved in it, however, has no support one way or the other.

ThePhantasm
2011-01-26, 06:54 PM
Actually, since you put this in the thread title for all the world to see, and the next arc is still fairly far away, Rich could (if this was his plan) change it (as he says he likes to do) so that you are wrong. So...

SPoD
2011-01-26, 06:59 PM
Actually, since you put this in the thread title for all the world to see, and the next arc is still fairly far away, Rich could (if this was his plan) change it (as he says he likes to do) so that you are wrong. So...

Everyone predicted openly for years and years that Elan's father would be the warlord that was holding Haley's father prisoner. It still happened.

Leecros
2011-01-26, 07:02 PM
Rich could (if this was his plan) change it (as he says he likes to do) so that you are wrong. So...

I'm believe Rich stated once that while yes, when people guess things correctly he gets a strong urge to change the story around, but never has actually done so.

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-26, 09:24 PM
I'm believe Rich stated once that while yes, when people guess things correctly he gets a strong urge to change the story around, but never has actually done so.

That we know of...
I kinda support an arc for Durkon, he is a Cleric after all, but I doubt it will happen.

Occasional Sage
2011-01-26, 10:02 PM
I kinda support an arc for Durkon, he is a Cleric after all

How are these two ideas connected?

Nimrod's Son
2011-01-26, 11:11 PM
Yes, that's right. He also said he had the story pretty much set in stone at this point, so he will 100% definitely NOT be changing anything if anyone guesses right from now on, and that the forum's speculation-in-spoiler-tags rule is now unnecessary and will be overturned "soon".

Calmness
2011-01-26, 11:18 PM
Uh, isn't Durkon supposed to die and destroy the dwarven lands? It would be fun, and the guy could actually become interesting.

factotum
2011-01-27, 07:58 AM
Uh, isn't Durkon supposed to die and destroy the dwarven lands? It would be fun, and the guy could actually become interesting.

Durkon will return home posthumously, and when he does so he will bring death and destruction with him. Those two prophecies in no way indicate that he will be the source of said death and destruction, merely that it will come with him! An enraged Xykon chasing the remnant of the Order to Kraagor's gate would fit the bill fine.

Swordpriest
2011-01-27, 10:06 AM
Durkon will return home posthumously, and when he does so he will bring death and destruction with him. Those two prophecies in no way indicate that he will be the source of said death and destruction, merely that it will come with him! An enraged Xykon chasing the remnant of the Order to Kraagor's gate would fit the bill fine.

Actually, it didn't even indicate that he will be dead on his first return to the dwarven homeland, only that his final return there will be posthumous. So he can easily come back home alive multiple times, just as long as he dies abroad and his remains are shipped back.

Faramir
2011-01-27, 12:20 PM

What gives you the idea she wasn't really evil? Her attempts to murder her husband? Her plan to steal the Amulet for the evil god she worships?

She was in love with Durkon, that doesn't make her not evil.

That said, I also liked the character and wouldn't be sorry to see her return.

Surfing HalfOrc
2011-01-27, 05:37 PM
Durkon has always followed "It's My Dwarven Duty" as his motto in life. And so far, nothing has really caused him conflict with that.

But dwarves are also family oriented. If Hilgya is pregnant with or has since had Durkon's baby, now Durkon has that conflict: Duty to Roy (and to the dwarven priests who sent him out into the himan lands) vs. Duty to Family. Which will he obey?

That's the conflict and character development I've assumed for Durkon ever since Hilgya ran away in tears.

Swordpriest
2011-01-27, 06:17 PM
Durkon has always followed "It's My Dwarven Duty" as his motto in life. And so far, nothing has really caused him conflict with that.

But dwarves are also family oriented. If Hilgya is pregnant with or has since had Durkon's baby, now Durkon has that conflict: Duty to Roy (and to the dwarven priests who sent him out into the himan lands) vs. Duty to Family. Which will he obey?

That's the conflict and character development I've assumed for Durkon ever since Hilgya ran away in tears.

How long has it been, I wonder? And does anyone know the gestation period of dwarves?

Surfing HalfOrc
2011-01-27, 11:22 PM
How long has it been, I wonder? And does anyone know the gestation period of dwarves?

The Book of Erotic Fantasy has Dwarven gestation at two years one year, if I remember correctly (just looked it up. Elves are two years. Sorry for any confusion). Yes, I know WotC doesn't consider that book to be "Official," but I think I've read that elsewhere. Of course, a 9 month gestation is possible in Rich's world.

Edit:
Oh, I also believe it's been over a year since The Dungeon of Dorukan, but I'm not positive. There is a thread around here that breaks it down, used mostly to estimate Belkar's Date with Death.

factotum
2011-01-28, 02:41 AM
Oh, I also believe it's been over a year since The Dungeon of Dorukan, but I'm not positive. There is a thread around here that breaks it down, used mostly to estimate Belkar's Date with Death.

It has to be more than a year, considering we've already gone past the first anniversary of the battle of Azure City (at least according to Redcloak's speech at the founding of "Gobbotopia")...