PDA

View Full Version : Forgery may be my favorite skill (3.5)

gallagher
2011-01-25, 11:27 AM
yeah, i used to prefer slight of hand, because it is just silly how many things you can lift off of someone without them noticing.

but forgery just saved my behind. seeing as nobody puts anything in forgery, and it is countered by an opposed forgery check, i try to put a few ranks in when i can. it just so happens that when i am a high skill point character, i tend to have it maxed out.

we, a group of 5 players, were captured and put in an antimagic dungeon. i, with a combination of forgery and bluff, got a guard to believe that i couldnt be imprisonned due to diplomatic immunity. i then waited a little bit to break my party out (because hell, they had just recently mocked me for having points in forgery) and stole a few things, got some solo xp and a nice kukri to go with my net

ericgrau
2011-01-25, 11:31 AM
It's about time somebody took it. Good skill for creative plans in creative worlds with civilizations, not just random illiterate monsters scattered about for PCs to fight.

gallagher
2011-01-25, 11:38 AM
It's about time somebody took it. Good skill for creative plans in creative worlds with civilizations, not just random illiterate monsters scattered about for PCs to fight.
its like escape artist for some people. you either love it or you hate it, and it only comes up once in a while.

it just feels good to have that kind of swagger when it does become relevant

thubby
2011-01-25, 11:47 AM
its always worth the 1 point just so you can use it.

Greenish
2011-01-25, 11:59 AM
its always worth the 1 point just so you can use it.Forgery isn't trained only (presumably so that people could make the check to detect it in the first place).

Dr.Epic
2011-01-25, 12:01 PM
but forgery just saved my behind. seeing as nobody puts anything in forgery, and it is countered by an opposed forgery check, i try to put a few ranks in when i can. it just so happens that when i am a high skill point character, i tend to have it maxed out.

All my rogues have a decent (or high) amount of skill points in forgery.

Telonius
2011-01-25, 12:02 PM
Surprised the heck out of my DM once when examining an abandoned house.

DM: Okay, going through the desk, you find a bunch of papers. Looks like one of them's the deed.
Me: Whose name is on it?
DM: ... looks like it's too faded out for you to read it.
Me: Cool! I write my name on it.
DM: :smallannoyed: Okay, do you have forgery?
Me: Yep! Maxed it.
DM :smallsigh:
Me: Hey guys, I'm a landlord!

Dr.Epic
2011-01-25, 12:03 PM

DM: Okay, going through the desk, you find a bunch of papers. Looks like one of them's the deed.

DM then has a random encounter in the city with a red dragon and said dragon sets fire to the house.

gbprime
2011-01-25, 12:09 PM

I got trapped by the DM like this once. Apparently the place was abandoned due to the crippling load of back-taxes owed on it. :smallfurious:

Coidzor
2011-01-25, 12:42 PM
DM then has a random encounter in the city with a red dragon and said dragon sets fire to the house.

Thinking too small my friend. Truly pernicious is the concept of back taxes. :smalleek: I believe there's a story in here (http://www.peldor.com/) which features a wizard's tower in Greyhawk being demolished as part of an urban renewal project because he hasn't been paying his taxes.

Edit: should've just scrolled won a bit. x.x

Pika...
2011-01-25, 12:44 PM
yeah, i used to prefer slight of hand, because it is just silly how many things you can lift off of someone without them noticing.

we, a group of 5 players, were captured and put in an antimagic dungeon. i, with a combination of forgery and bluff, got a guard to believe that i couldnt be imprisonned due to diplomatic immunity. i then waited a little bit to break my party out (because hell, they had just recently mocked me for having points in forgery) and stole a few things, got some solo xp and a nice kukri to go with my net

Thank you sir. You just added to the rogue I am building. :smallbiggrin:

Funniest thing I have read in a while. Actually LoLed. Many thanks.

Re'ozul
2011-01-25, 12:50 PM
Too lazy to make my own demotivator. Consider this (http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0807/look-at-my-psychic-paper-doctor-who-psychic-paper-celebrity-demotivational-poster-1215788946.jpg) one to be fitting for maxing forgery.

gallagher
2011-01-25, 12:51 PM
Thank you sir. You just added to the rogue I am building. :smallbiggrin:

if you think about it, why wouldnt every rogue have a few ranks in it to begin with? it just makes sense thematically

veven
2011-01-25, 12:59 PM
My beguiler managed to get his hands on the region Lord's seal during a wight out break in our country, He sadly was killed so he couldn't dispute the couple of documents I made and backdated. I managed to use that and forgery to get set up in a pretty sweet spot once we cleared all the wights out of the countryside.

Boci
2011-01-25, 01:21 PM
Too lazy to make my own demotivator. Consider this (http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0807/look-at-my-psychic-paper-doctor-who-psychic-paper-celebrity-demotivational-poster-1215788946.jpg) one to be fitting for maxing forgery.

Ah yes, but forgery can even make you a certified responsible and mature adult. Take that psychic paper.

Tyndmyr
2011-01-25, 01:54 PM
Forgery is amazingly useful if your setting has...civilization of any kind.

And yes, deeds are amazing. One 7th Sea campaign has players who get stuck with a deed, and a title of nobility that goes with it(tied to the land). Players dive for the wealth and fame in a heartbeat.

See, thing is, the previous holder of this title took out a number of very large loans before dumping the place...

Karoht
2011-01-25, 02:03 PM

Or has a lawyer show up.
"Are you the owner of this residence"
"Yeup, that would be me. Landlord I am. You may refer to me as Lord if you must."
"Thats nice. You've been served."
"What?"
*Reads scroll, becomes geised to show up at the court on the proposed date or bad stuff happens*
"The previous tenant fell through that broken section of stairs and broke her leg, after she reported the stairs were broken and unsafe. Due to her economic position and subsequent loss of income, she was unable to find proper medical attention, the leg became gangrenous and had to be amputated. She is now missing a leg and employment due to your negligence. See you in court."

Great skill to have, easily used and abused on both sides of the DM screen. Solves problems, causes problems. Use caution. Your mileage may vary.