PDA

View Full Version : Ettiquite in the...Bathroom.

BizzaroStormy
2011-01-25, 12:38 PM
I thought occurred to me today, while I was at my college's bathroom. Lets assume that a given bathroom has 3 urinals and some random positive integer number of stalls.

If the urinals are separated by the average chest-high divider, would it be acceptable to use the middle urinal (B) at the same time that the two adjacent urinals (A and C) or should one divert to a stall?

Current Score of answers I have is:

Middle Urinal: 1
Stall: 0

truemane
2011-01-25, 12:42 PM
Middle Urinal. You don't go gay just by being next to a man holding his genitalia for non-sexual purposes. Come to think of it, you don't go gay by being next to a man holding his genitalia for sexual purposes either, but that's a whole different etiquette issue.

If I saw someone divert to a stall for urination under those circumstances I would assume they were some kind of crazy homophobe.

Urinal.

Alternately, however, you should always leave a single urinal's worth of space if applicable. That's just polite. Same thing as leaving a seat between you and the next person in the cafeteria.

Kobold-Bard
2011-01-25, 12:44 PM
Always avoid the stall if possible, much easier for a crocodile to get up one of them than a urinal.

Sipex
2011-01-25, 12:45 PM
Washroom etiquette is interesting, nobody really teaches you, it's just something you pick up growing up.

That said, we're talking about mens public washroom etiquette, I have no idea about womens for obvious reasons.

How I've always seen it is as follows.

Assuming the 3 urinal setup these are the rules I've interpreted:

1) If all the urinals are empty, choose one on the end.
2) If only one urinal is taken, take a urinal on the opposite side (assuming the person in question took an end urinal).
3) If both urinals are taken, take whichever remains.
4) If only the middle urinal is taken, grimace lightly and take whichever urinal you're more comfortable with.
5) If the urinal makeup includes one or more urinals of suboptimum height for you, you may exclude these from the equation.

Zen Monkey
2011-01-25, 12:49 PM
A clean bathroom is a lot like going to the movies. Don't situate yourself right next to a stranger unless you have to, and no talking.

If it isn't clean, it's like soccer. The same rules apply as above, except you have to do it all without touching anything with your hands.

Sipex
2011-01-25, 12:52 PM
Oh right, yeah, don't make conversation with the guy standing next to you unless you know him and even then, be wary.

Sometimes it works, but from what I've observed over my life, conversation is left to the sink and more often than not, conversation at the urinals just gets awkward.

Coidzor
2011-01-25, 12:59 PM
Middle Urinal. You don't go gay just by being next to a man holding his genitalia for non-sexual purposes. Come to think of it, you don't go gay by being next to a man holding his genitalia for sexual purposes either, but that's a whole different etiquette issue.

Indeed, one or both of you is in serious breach of etiquette in that latter scenario.

If I saw someone divert to a stall for urination under those circumstances I would assume they were some kind of crazy homophobe.

Urinal.

Alternately, however, you should always leave a single urinal's worth of space if applicable. That's just polite. Same thing as leaving a seat between you and the next person in the cafeteria.

:smallconfused: ...Urinal etiquette has very little to do with homophobia.

You're contradicting yourself by saying it's polite to leave a buffer and then saying it's someone being a homophobe if they decide to not violate the buffer that two people had already been observing.

So, yeah, stall, because passing close behind someone while they're using a urinal is a bit inappropriate, as is walking up inbetween two people from outside of their peripheral vision while they're relieving themselves and vulnerable.

RS14
2011-01-25, 01:03 PM

Urinal.

:smallconfused:

I tend to use the stall if there are other people at the urinals. I agree that choosing to urinate beside someone or not does not relate to one's sexual orientation, but that does not preclude it from being awkward. I'd rather not do so, regardless of the other person's gender.

Besides, there's nothing wrong with stalls.

Perenelle
2011-01-25, 01:07 PM
:smalleek: Oh, how I love being a girl and having a private stall all to myself no matter what.

Come to think of it, I feel awkward even in stalls next to other people. So if I was a guy, I'd probably avoid public bathrooms all together. >.>

The Glyphstone
2011-01-25, 01:09 PM
I avoid public bathrooms whenever possible on simple hygiene grounds.

Castaras
2011-01-25, 01:12 PM
:smalleek: Oh, how I love being a girl and having a private stall all to myself no matter what.

Come to think of it, I feel awkward even in stalls next to other people. So if I was a guy, I'd probably avoid public bathrooms all together. >.>

^ This. :smalleek:

Sipex
2011-01-25, 01:14 PM
It becomes a lot simpler when you realise that (most of the time) the people in the bathroom just want the same thing as you. To do their business while pretending the rest of the washroom patrons don't exist.

The Succubus
2011-01-25, 01:17 PM
I'd go for a stall. Not because I'm a closet homophobe but because I really like my privacy when in the privy.

Coidzor
2011-01-25, 01:19 PM

Well, in such a case, either you'd be trans, which is its own bathroom ballgame, or you'd likely have enough social pressure to not really have the luxury of developing such a quirk.

It becomes a lot simpler when you realise that (most of the time) the people in the bathroom just want the same thing as you. To do their business while pretending the rest of the washroom patrons don't exist.

Pretty much, yeah.

leakingpen
2011-01-25, 01:19 PM
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/games/urinal

Traab
2011-01-25, 01:34 PM

Bleh, if I was a girl id never use a public restroom. You are looking at a guy who used to work as a high school janitor. Girls are sick and disgusting creatures when it comes to bathrooms. Id rather eat off the mens room toilets than sit down on a womens room stall seat. Worst you see in a mens room is the rare cigarette butt that didnt get flushed. Maybe some used toilet paper. Women you get all that, and all sorts of bloody personal hygiene products, assuming they even made it into the toilet in the first place that is, the cigs, the floor and seats are always wet. I mean come on, guys have to aim, you just have to sit DOWN! How hard is it to hit the bowl when you are SITTING ON IT! And before you talk about how nasty those seats are, maybe they wouldnt be nasty if you people sat down in the first place! I still have nightmares of the girls bathrooms.

Crow
2011-01-25, 01:37 PM
Self-comfort level doesn't come into play here because not everyone may be as comfortable with your sexuality as you are.

In the situation as outlined by the OP, traditional urinal etiquette would dictate that you divert to a stall *if* there would still be available stalls after you enter it.

If you would be occupying the last available stall, you are expected to default to the urinal.

The_JJ
2011-01-25, 01:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzO1mCAVyMw

Humorous, not serious.

Perenelle
2011-01-25, 01:39 PM
Bleh, if I was a girl id never use a public restroom. You are looking at a guy who used to work as a high school janitor. Girls are sick and disgusting creatures when it comes to bathrooms. Id rather eat off the mens room toilets than sit down on a womens room stall seat. Worst you see in a mens room is the rare cigarette butt that didnt get flushed. Maybe some used toilet paper. Women you get all that, and all sorts of bloody personal hygiene products, assuming they even made it into the toilet in the first place that is, the cigs, the floor and seats are always wet. I mean come on, guys have to aim, you just have to sit DOWN! How hard is it to hit the bowl when you are SITTING ON IT! And before you talk about how nasty those seats are, maybe they wouldnt be nasty if you people sat down in the first place! I still have nightmares of the girls bathrooms.

I don't think I've ever seen used personal hygiene products in the bathrooms, nor have I had much of a problem with the floor or seats being wet.

Plus, a lot of bathrooms have the seat cover things.

Sipex
2011-01-25, 01:45 PM
I think part of the problem may be that he was a high school janitor.

Although that doesn't explain the difference in the two, I know my high school bathrooms were horrendous to the point where I'd avoid going unless I absolutely needed to.

Elder Tsofu
2011-01-25, 01:48 PM
Well as people said above, if one is taken - take the furthest away from it. If they are at equidistant to the taken urinal, chose whichever you want.
I would personally use the last urinal before the stall, if the two at the urinals doesn't look like they're strange.
(and hey, it takes about 10-15 seconds at the urinal - when you're getting ready the others are probably almost on their way already)
Oh, and if there is only one stall left then you'll choose the last urinal.

Perenelle
2011-01-25, 01:52 PM
I think part of the problem may be that he was a high school janitor.

Although that doesn't explain the difference in the two, I know my high school bathrooms were horrendous to the point where I'd avoid going unless I absolutely needed to.

Ah, well, that would make sense. It would depend on the school though, the High School i'm at now have spotless bathrooms that I have no problem using. As for my old one.... well, lets just say that if I gained anything from that school, it would be a very strong bladder. >.>

rayne_dragon
2011-01-25, 01:58 PM
I don't think I've ever seen used personal hygiene products in the bathrooms, nor have I had much of a problem with the floor or seats being wet.

Plus, a lot of bathrooms have the seat cover things.

I think it depends a lot in what public bathrooms you use. Some are a lot worse than others. Bus station bathrooms tend to be really icky (although they can be surprising clean sometimes, but I assume a janitor has just been through).

Traab
2011-01-25, 02:03 PM
Ah, well, that would make sense. It would depend on the school though, the High School i'm at now have spotless bathrooms that I have no problem using. As for my old one.... well, lets just say that if I gained anything from that school, it would be a very strong bladder. >.>

A nice spiffy catholic high school. Oh, and im not trying to claim the mens rooms were clean, its just the girls bathrooms were way worse.

Perenelle
2011-01-25, 02:06 PM
A nice spiffy catholic high school.

:smallconfused: :smalleek: That's kind of surprising...

Traab
2011-01-25, 02:11 PM
:smallconfused: :smalleek: That's kind of surprising...

Whys that? People are people, wether they have to take an extra course or not. Heck, i got into WAY more fights in catholic schools than I did in public.

Elfin
2011-01-25, 02:13 PM
Well, it only serves to reason that they'd need a retreat from creased pants and Hail Mary's.

Anyway, I'd tend to try for the stall - but then, I always do. I'm just a stall kind of guy.

Perenelle
2011-01-25, 02:19 PM
Whys that? People are people, wether they have to take an extra course or not. Heck, i got into WAY more fights in catholic schools than I did in public.

Well, I always thought schools like that were really nice and clean and safe and such. A catholic school's girl's bathroom isn't exactly the first thing I think of when I think "dirty high school bathroom".

Valameer
2011-01-25, 02:20 PM
Having worked in a restaurant nearby two high schools, I can confirm what Traab is saying.

The women's washroom was usually a big chore to clean. While cleaning the men's wasn't exactly a desirable job, at least the dirtiest thing was usually the sinks.

I was surprised how much dirtier the women's was... consistently. Missed flushes, TP everywhere, disgusting garbages, and floor hits. I mean, come on. Do people really mess up their home bathrooms as bad as they do public ones?

That said, once a year we'd get a male senior (never the same guy twice) that would... make a mess that I thought no one could ever leave in good conscience. Eeeuuugghhhhh...... :smalleek:

BayardSPSR
2011-01-25, 02:21 PM
If in doubt, stall. Ha ha.

Honestly, if I didn't need a stall, I'd avoid a public bathroom in the first place. Is ANYONE actually comfortable in them?

averagejoe
2011-01-25, 02:22 PM

Urinal.

It's not about sexuality, it's about being left completely vulnerable while peeing. Why, some uncouth individual could bop you on the head with his club and drag your woman back to his cave, and there's little you could do about it!

Which is to say, peeing around other people, or at least people you don't know/are not comfortable with, is a fairly natural and common source of nervousness independent of culture. Which is why bathroom etiquette is important.

In the OP's case, I don't think there's a wrong choice. I would normally say, "Stall, no questions," but the divider between urinals makes that choice less incorrect.

weeping eagle
2011-01-25, 02:34 PM
If I saw someone divert to a stall for urination under those circumstances I would assume they were some kind of crazy homophobe.http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=shy%20kidneys

Girls are sick and disgusting creatures when it comes to bathrooms.Agreed, from experience at a resort for upper middle-class adults.

A catholic school's girl's bathroom isn't exactly the first thing I think of when I think "dirty high school bathroom".No comment.

I'm not answering the survey question, because given the following urinal configuration:

X----

I've been known to take urinal four, just to make trouble for the next person who comes in. I'm a bit of an outlier.

Jera
2011-01-25, 02:37 PM
I'll just leave this here....

http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/724075b3-38dd-430b-bcb7-83ddb6250ac6.jpg

Whammydill
2011-01-25, 02:39 PM
Having worked as a janitor in a public facility, I can attest women's bathrooms are worse, much worse. I asked a female friend why this was and I guess what it boils down to is: "Hover then Spray and Pray"....eww.:smalleek:

As to the original question, I just go to the nearest available receptical no matter what if it's a stall/urinal and use it.

Coidzor
2011-01-25, 02:43 PM
Having worked in a restaurant nearby two high schools, I can confirm what Traab is saying.

The women's washroom was usually a big chore to clean. While cleaning the men's wasn't exactly a desirable job, at least the dirtiest thing was usually the sinks.

I was surprised how much dirtier the women's was... consistently. Missed flushes, TP everywhere, disgusting garbages, and floor hits. I mean, come on. Do people really mess up their home bathrooms as bad as they do public ones?

That said, once a year we'd get a male senior (never the same guy twice) that would... make a mess that I thought no one could ever leave in good conscience. Eeeuuugghhhhh...... :smalleek:

It's a combination between carelessness and vandalism as the leading causes of messiness in female and male restrooms respectively, partially.

There's a lot more that can go wrong from womens' bodies and they spend a lot more time in the restroom. The worst that really happens in regards to urinals would be someone ignoring theirs and spraying the wall. Which is easily rectified by similarly spraying the wall, but this time with a proper hose and water rather than ammonia and trace minerals.

Men's restrooms it's mostly intentional and most people who want to mess up a restroom don't particularly want to handle feces so that leaves them paper products and spray and pray.

Whereas womens' restrooms afford the luxury of not caring about sanitary napkins ending up in their appropriate receptacles because someone paid to clean up the place will deal with the smell and congealed blood rather than one's self if one made such a mistake at home.

22Charisma
2011-01-25, 02:46 PM
Ok, given the three urinal scenario:

X-X

X= Taken urinal
-= Free urinal

I'd say go to the stall.

NOW given your specific urinal scenario

X|-|x

X=same as above
-=same as above
|= divider

I'd say the middle one is fair game.

Mauve Shirt
2011-01-25, 03:30 PM
I'm glad when I lived in an all-girls dorm I had a suite bathroom. The one in the hallway had a sign on it that said something like "please clean up after yourself" and someone had made a tally of how many times they'd found blood on the toilet seat.
Though I've seen drips, I've never seen a used FHP on the floor of a public restroom. Even bathrooms where they don't provide special receptacles, they usually end up in the trash can.

RebelRogue
2011-01-25, 03:30 PM
This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_bynv9s6Iw) seems relevant.

Coidzor
2011-01-25, 05:20 PM
I'm glad when I lived in an all-girls dorm I had a suite bathroom. The one in the hallway had a sign on it that said something like "please clean up after yourself" and someone had made a tally of how many times they'd found blood on the toilet seat.

Got one worse. My then girlfriend my freshman year was living in a quiet dorm. And the year before, one of the girls had been disciplined for routinely and egregiously making a mess of the commodes without flushing. The next year, that same individual was back, but things went a step further when, after large signs were printed out, laminated and placed first on the bathroom door and then on and inside the individual stalls, someone started defecating in the showers.

Perenelle
2011-01-25, 05:52 PM
The next year, that same individual was back, but things went a step further when, after large signs were printed out, laminated and placed first on the bathroom door and then on and inside the individual stalls, someone started defecating in the showers.

.......I don't understand people. :smallannoyed:

Traab
2011-01-25, 05:59 PM
Got one worse. My then girlfriend my freshman year was living in a quiet dorm. And the year before, one of the girls had been disciplined for routinely and egregiously making a mess of the commodes without flushing. The next year, that same individual was back, but things went a step further when, after large signs were printed out, laminated and placed first on the bathroom door and then on and inside the individual stalls, someone started defecating in the showers.

I was working in construction, (Ive had a lot of jobs lol) when the heating guy came into the basement to pick up the duct work he was supposed to instal that day. he came up swearing a blue streak! He was cursing, slamming doors, flailing around. It took us awhile to calm him down enough to find out what was wrong. Apparently, someone decided to go into the basement of this half built house, and take a dump on his new duct work.

Cerlis
2011-01-25, 06:05 PM
well i'm gay and i prefer to use a stall because i dont like exposing myself to strangers and find it hard to relax appropriate muscles when right next to another person in general (such as if i'm next to someone stall-stall). Furthermore i decided to almost never use a urinal after the time when a certian pair of shorts i used that show wetness very well showed very spattered after using it. there was to much backfire fromt he urinal.

basically i dont like to piss in public (which i see a Urinal as counting as) and i dont like to get piss on my pants.

John Cribati
2011-01-25, 06:06 PM
I'll do you one worse. When I was in middle school, there was a minor craze of dipping paper towel into unflushed urinals and then laying it onto the radiator. In the winter. Dear lord, it spread throughout the whole floor and everything. It was horrible.

CynicalAvocado
2011-01-25, 06:13 PM
i always follow the rule of if theres no dividers then leave one urinal between each other. unless it's a pee troth.

Traab
2011-01-25, 06:19 PM
I never really care, but thats because im ex military, (told you I held alot of jobs lol) If anyone else here has served, they probably remember basic training and showers. Its rather hard to care about peeing next to someone when you share a communal shower with 12 other guys. Gets rid of that sort of inhibition fast. Also teaches you to take a 3 minute shower and still be clean. :smalltongue:

Whammydill
2011-01-25, 06:41 PM
I never really care, but thats because im ex military, (told you I held alot of jobs lol) If anyone else here has served, they probably remember basic training and showers. Its rather hard to care about peeing next to someone when you share a communal shower with 12 other guys. Gets rid of that sort of inhibition fast. Also teaches you to take a 3 minute shower and still be clean. :smalltongue:

Yes, I remember the (if lucky)5 minute Sh*t, Shower, and Shave routine from Boot....saving wetnaps from MRE's to take a um..."prostitutes bath" because you stank from being in the field too long...that and straddle-trenches really do away with ones privacy issues...

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-25, 06:47 PM
I've got privacy issues so I always go stall, no matter when, even when bathroom is empty. Now that I think about it, I can't really go to the bathroom unless it's empty.

CrimsonAngel
2011-01-25, 09:15 PM
Spank both men on either side of you and give them tons of compliments.
If you want to get beat up.

Coidzor
2011-01-25, 10:09 PM
Spank both men on either side of you and give them tons of compliments.
If you want to get beat up.

Well, yeah. Why would you have it not elicit a negative response? :smallconfused:

sana
2011-01-25, 11:05 PM
I grew up in a country that had mostly unisex bathrooms in bars, never an issue and all toilets where always clean.

Now living in a country where you have the separated toilets. I noticed something funny. Even a woman wont normally take the middle stall (so I always take it, it's clean and unused)

But the worst is in places where the men have only limited space. So some guys will rather take the females only toilet instead of taking the urinal next to another guy. This always leads to guys not sitting down and peeing on the toilet seat or even a wider area on the ground. Followed by woman not sitting down but trying the hovering and targeting that will never work.

In such cases I always use the mens room since those stalls aren't used. If they use the girls room. I get to take the boys room.

I mis the unisex bathrooms they where always so clean and nobody cared about who they where sitting or standing next to. Had some great talks on the toilet:smallredface:

edit: But worse is the not washing hands, also a great deal of fun... Wash your hands long... really long... and grant everyone a disgusted look who passes by without washing his/her hands...:smallbiggrin:

Abies
2011-01-26, 12:31 AM
Bathroom etiquitte? 2 rules: 1) If there's a mess, Clean up (before or after) heck, just clean up before and after for good measure, 2) Shut up.

1)Bring a Clorox wipe (bleach, anti-bacterial) with you when you go in. Whether you use this before, after or bring enough for both is up to you. If you need to use the seat, clean it before and after. If you do use a sanitary toilet seat cover, flush it. Only the most depraved, disgusting, irresponsible wastes of flesh leave bodily fluids behind.

2) When you're in the bathroom, no one wants to talk to you, or hear what you have to say. Ever. No, not even then. No, not even if your dying mother calls from her deathbed on the cell phone. Not even she wants to talk to you while you pee or poo. Speaking a language no one else (as far as you know) does not excuse you from this. Some folks might understand you...

Those are the only two that matter. If you're worried about where to stand in relation to others while doing business, you're worried about the wrong things.

But yeah, take the stall, always. Why? Guys, go ahead and check your pant legs after using a urinal. There's more backsplash than you think. Your pants will be covered in pee mist after using a urinal.

druid91
2011-01-26, 12:44 AM
Public restrooms should be cleaned using flamethrowers.

That is the only way to be 100% sure you got everything.

That and nuking the site.

Why can't we hurry up and replace inefficient food with pure electricity?:smallsigh:

Coidzor
2011-01-26, 01:52 AM
Why can't we hurry up and replace inefficient food with pure electricity?:smallsigh:

Cybernetics Eat Your Soul (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CyberneticsEatYourSoul) (tv tropes warning), and one's genitalia as well for such an upload. And really, that's just too great of a price to ask. :smalltongue:

TheThan
2011-01-26, 01:56 AM
This thread requires me to link this:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3382914

this is hysterical, disgusting and awesome. I wonder how many people are going to hurt themselves straining.

Coidzor
2011-01-26, 02:06 AM
This thread requires me to link this:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3382914

this is hysterical, disgusting and awesome. I wonder how many people are going to hurt themselves straining.

I can really only take that in one direction. Social engineering in the name of making certain videos more popular with the public. Why? Who can say, maybe they own stock in certain video production companies.

Castel
2011-01-26, 02:20 AM
How about those large trough urinals with absolutely no partition that ridicule and laugh at the very concept of privacy? :smallbiggrin:

Heliomance
2011-01-26, 03:19 AM
How about those large trough urinals with absolutely no partition that ridicule and laugh at the very concept of privacy? :smallbiggrin:
Bisect the available space, maximising your minimum distance from the next person along. Do not look anywhere except straight ahead. If bisecting the available space would leave less than a clear foot and a half (at least) between you and the next person, give up and come back later.

Nosferocktu
2011-01-26, 03:33 AM
How about those large trough urinals with absolutely no partition that ridicule and laugh at the very concept of privacy?

Having spent the past 6 years in the military, I can honestly tell you that when it comes to that kind of stuff, we are the experts at it. Even at boot camp, no doors on the stalls to take a poop. Were not allowed to use the urinals. Showering was communal. Yes. 10 dudes naked taking a shower in the same area while being yelled at to hurry up by our DI. He called it a "car wash". It was the same on my last 3 deployments and the same when I did my training in Washington on this deployment.

Our secret is eyes stay above the waist or down at the deck. No matter what.

It honestly is good training for anyone who has problems with seeing naked people in public areas, like a pool or a gym locker room.

Sipex
2011-01-26, 09:57 AM
Oh right, rule 6.

Don't look at other guys junk areas. Not because someone might think you are 'The Gay' but because really, nobody wants a complete stranger staring at their private areas.

Dr.Epic
2011-01-26, 10:02 AM

What? Does it really matter what stall/urinal you use so long as there's not someone already using it?

Mauve Shirt
2011-01-26, 10:29 AM
I don't get women who hover when they pee. If the toilet seat looks too dirty for your butt, get a paper towel or some toilet paper and wipe it off before sitting down. You're going to wash your hands anyway. Get some hand sanitizer if you're too paranoid.

Sipex
2011-01-26, 10:32 AM

What? Does it really matter what stall/urinal you use so long as there's not someone already using it?

To most people, yes. It might seem frivilous but it's a social stigma a lot of people pick up.

Coidzor
2011-01-26, 10:34 AM

A lot of people's personal space bubbles expand when they become vulnerable, be it from voiding their bowels or bathing or some other activity.

Probably from a survival instinct to not let one's guard down and get eaten because one had to take a leak.

Eldan
2011-01-26, 10:39 AM
Yes. 10 dudes naked taking a shower in the same area while being yelled at to hurry up by our DI. He called it a "car wash".

Honestly, we had that for years in P.E. Never had much of a problem with it. Strangely enough, I still won't take a urinal next to an occupied one unless I absolutely have to.

Actually, I must admit I spend way too much time thinking about questions like the OPs. Here's an interesting one:

Given the following scenario:

1|X|2|3|X

Where 1, 2, 3 are free urinals, and X are occupied, which one do you use (assuming stalls aren't an option?)

Obviously, 3 is right out. The X on the left has violated etiquette by using an odd-numbered urinal, so you have to stand next to him, not the guy who made the correct choice in using the even numbered one.

However, do you use 1, going for the protection of the wall, or 2, so you have at least one free space next to you?

Sipex
2011-01-26, 10:43 AM
Neither is etiquettly greater but I'd go for the wall to avoid being sandwiched in between two guys if there's a sudden surge.

AtomicKitKat
2011-01-26, 10:52 AM
I'm generally far more concerned about the people who either wash their hands before using the urinal, but not after, and those who never wash their hands at all. Seriously? If it's at my current workplace(a mall), I either reach for the top of the glass door(for safety reasons, they installed a block so you can't push it open from the inside, you have to pull. Thankfully, somebody broke said block recently), or push it open. If it's at the start of the day, I might soap up my hands, then rub soapy water all over the handle, before washing my hands twice before I leave. What, you don't like having sticky soap on your hands? GO WASH YOUR DAMN HANDS AFTER HANDLING YOUR GENITALS! *heavy ranty breathing*

Edit: It goes without saying that folks who leave the stalls without stopping at the sink are glared at with Darkseid Omega Beams.

Traab
2011-01-26, 11:14 AM
Why are genitallia treated as some sort of filthy body part? I could understand an uncircumsised man being a bit dirty down there, but otherwise? I dont see why that should be considered any more filthy than my hands are, or my torso. I bathe my entire body thank you very much, and im just as likely to get a sweaty face as a sweaty crotch. Should I wash my hand every time I wipe my brow? (for the record, yes I do wash my hands after going to the bathroom, im just being contrary)

AtomicKitKat
2011-01-26, 11:43 AM
Why are genitallia treated as some sort of filthy body part? I could understand an uncircumsised man being a bit dirty down there, but otherwise?

Don't even start that.

Urine is sterile until exposed to air. Also, genitals are near the anus, which has all kinds of faecal contaminants.

Coidzor
2011-01-26, 11:47 AM
Also, restrooms are generally damp and thus breeding grounds for bacteria, as are the warm, dark, and sweat-catching bathing suit areas of most humans in most modes of dress.

Said fecal contamination of the hands then transfers to everything touched by said hands. Hence the advice to use a paper towel to turn off faucets if they don't automatically shut down.

druid91
2011-01-26, 01:11 PM
Cybernetics Eat Your Soul (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CyberneticsEatYourSoul) (tv tropes warning), and one's genitalia as well for such an upload. And really, that's just too great of a price to ask. :smalltongue:

To which I respond Ave Machina (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AveMachina). (Tvtropes warning)

AtomicKitKat
2011-01-26, 02:07 PM
I remember in Secondary School(around age 14), there was an announcement during assembly reminding the girls to stop throwing/leaving their used FHPs at/on the windows outside the bathroom. Apparently, the male cleaner had gotten fed up with this and complained to the principal. I'd wager the female cleaner was also just as fed up, just more willing to have the guy make the complaint.

weeping eagle
2011-01-26, 03:35 PM
Our secret is eyes stay above the waist or down at the deck. No matter what.

It honestly is good training for anyone who has problems with seeing naked people in public areas, like a pool or a gym locker room.I find that this sort of behavior works for a lot of things in life.

Coidzor
2011-01-26, 03:47 PM
To which I respond Ave Machina (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AveMachina). (Tvtropes warning)

Oh, sorry, I thought you were asking a question. Best answer I could give you, other than the pedestrian "money," one word reply.

druid91
2011-01-26, 03:58 PM
Oh, sorry, I thought you were asking a question. Best answer I could give you, other than the pedestrian "money," one word reply.

More like complaining via rhetorical question.:smalltongue:

Anyway. The solution is always use a stall.

Trog
2011-01-26, 07:44 PM
Trog's Rules
For Using a Public Restroom:

Rule #1: Touch as little as possible
Rule #2: There is only one orifice forgiven for making noise in the bathroom and it ain't the one you talk with.
Rule #3: Urinate in the Urinal.
Rule #4: Defecate in the Defacators.
Rule #5: You may, at your option, Urinate in the Defecators.
Rule #6: You may NOT, under any circumstances, Defecate in the Urinals.
Rule #7: At the Urinals: Eyes in the forward and locked position.
Rule #8: On the Defecator: Eyes forward in paranoia constantly monitoring the slightly too large crack in the door... Or on the graffiti, if applicable and alone.
Rule #9: If you tap more than twice, you're playing.
Rule #10: Flush everything flushable. If it doesn't flush the first time it's your responsibility to see that it flushes.
Rule #11: Zip.
Rule #12: If it overflows, run like hell.
Rule #13: Wash your hands when finished.
Rule #14: If you get out of the bathroom without touching the door, you win.

Coidzor
2011-01-26, 08:04 PM
I must admit, I've never heard of tapping in this sort of context before. :smallconfused:

BizzaroStormy
2011-01-27, 03:46 AM
well i'm gay and i prefer to use a stall because i dont like exposing myself to strangers and find it hard to relax appropriate muscles when right next to another person in general (such as if i'm next to someone stall-stall). Furthermore i decided to almost never use a urinal after the time when a certian pair of shorts i used that show wetness very well showed very spattered after using it. there was to much backfire fromt he urinal.

basically i dont like to piss in public (which i see a Urinal as counting as) and i dont like to get piss on my pants.

You haven't been shaking have you? Remember, no more than 2 shakes.

Cerlis
2011-01-27, 05:10 AM

For every action there is an opposite and equal reaction. they should put bumps on the urinals so it doesnt spatter backwards so much :P:smalltongue:

grimbold
2011-01-27, 12:07 PM
Always avoid the stall if possible, much easier for a crocodile to get up one of them than a urinal.

that made my day

another contributing factor will be are you a nervous pee-er?
if you do not like peeing in public being in an adjacent urinal can get awkward.

Traab
2011-01-27, 12:30 PM

I kind of do the tube of toothpaste thing, gets rid of the last drops, and no worries about splashing. Plus, im not flopping all over the place. Tends to distract others. lol

Winter_Wolf
2011-01-27, 04:44 PM
I avoid public bathrooms whenever possible on simple hygiene grounds.

As a modified version of this, I avoid stalls or touching anything when I have to use a public restroom. Barring that, I have disinfectant wipes handy.

That aside, if you're bladder shy, just use the stall and don't worry about it. Otherwise I'd use the stall just on the principle that at least you don't have to touch anything if it's an auto-flusher.

Hammerhead
2011-01-27, 09:36 PM
When it comes down to urinal-adjacent-to-used-urinal or stall, I go with UATUU pretty much every time.

By taking the UATUU, you leave the stall open for both dudes-who-can-stand-and-need-to-pee and everybody else who's got business to do. By taking a stall, you're potentially screwing over the latter group for nobody's gain.

Coidzor
2011-01-27, 11:05 PM
When it comes down to urinal-adjacent-to-used-urinal or stall, I go with UATUU pretty much every time.

By taking the UATUU, you leave the stall open for both dudes-who-can-stand-and-need-to-pee and everybody else who's got business to do. By taking a stall, you're potentially screwing over the latter group for nobody's gain.

It's a rather corner case for someone to be unable to wait for a stall to open up.

averagejoe
2011-01-27, 11:51 PM
Trog's Rules

Trog, you are a classy guy. We could all learn from your example.

Haruki-kun
2011-01-28, 12:00 AM
Trog's Rules

*snip*

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t288/Vaarsuvius89/humerus.jpg

THAC0
2011-01-28, 12:04 AM
Trog's Rules

I made my husband read this. His response: "All quite true!"

AtomicKitKat
2011-01-29, 11:03 AM
Tap? Who taps? I prime the middle finger behind the thumb and flick. 'Ard men bang it against the sides of the urinal. I don't do that only because that involves actually touching the urinal.:smallannoyed:

tcrudisi
2011-01-29, 11:30 AM
There are ironclad rules for etiquette in the men's bathroom. They must be adhered to at all times.

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Behave-When-Using-a-Urinal-Man-Etiquette-in-the-Bathroom

Mandatory link. You'll notice that Trog hit on many of them. Yes, it's a 9 minute video, but ya know what? It's required that all men watch. And, it eventually turns out to be a hilarious video.

Please - men everywhere, I beseech thee: learn male bathroom etiquette!

Eldan
2011-02-01, 04:32 AM
They actually build urinals without dividers? Eww.

Thankfully, I've never seen those.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2011-02-01, 04:43 AM
Hell with the stall or the urinal. Divert to the sink and quote Bukowski.

BizzaroStormy
2011-02-02, 06:29 PM

I fail to see why this qualifies as "eww". Care to elabortae.

Coidzor
2011-02-02, 08:38 PM
Well, for starters, there's the whole bit where not having the divider there means that in cases of adjacent people, person space is being intruded upon. Seeing as the divider acts as something to catch the personal space bubbles rather than have them overlap.

H Birchgrove
2011-02-02, 08:51 PM
Here's a dilemma I have. I go to the cinema, buys ticket, popcorn and soda pop. Then I realise I need to go to the men's room. :smallredface:

Which means I "have" to take popcorn and soda with me to the bathroom. :smalleek:

I know I could buy the ticket first, go to the bathroom and then buy snacks and soda; but I simply forget my brain at home, or don't have enough time to stand and wait again. :smallfrown:

Luckily, the cinema's men's room is in a quite good condition.

Eldan
2011-02-03, 06:14 AM
I've been to the Cinema bathroom with an already half-eaten cornetto in my left hand. It's a bit awkward to... use the facilities one handed, but it works.

LuckyHood
2011-02-03, 06:16 AM
Come on. If you're secure about your sexuality, does it really matter? Really?

:smalltongue:

Eldan
2011-02-03, 06:19 AM
Yes. It has nothing to do with sexuality. I'm quite firmly heterosexual, but I feel uncomfortable with people close to me (as in, closer than about a few inches, and my entire body starts to itch). Male or female.
This just goes double when I'm on a toilet and holding my junk. It's not sexual, it's just uncomfortable.

AtomicKitKat
2011-02-03, 07:43 AM
Well, for starters, there's the whole bit where not having the divider there means that in cases of adjacent people, person space is being intruded upon. Seeing as the divider acts as something to catch the personal space bubbles rather than have them overlap.

That's not all it catches, if you catch my drift. Oh wait, that's what the divider does too!:smallbiggrin:

H Birchgrove
2011-02-03, 01:23 PM
I've been to the Cinema bathroom with an already half-eaten cornetto in my left hand. It's a bit awkward to... use the facilities one handed, but it works.

I admire your audacity. :smallbiggrin:

Fawkes
2011-02-03, 01:34 PM

"No matter how you shake and dance, the last few drops fall in your pants."

Elder Tsofu
2011-02-03, 01:53 PM

Take a peek here (http://www.sanifix.se/images/urinoarbod01stor.jpg) and you'll have. :smallsmile:
Don't worry, they're empty.

MoonCat
2011-02-03, 03:25 PM
Take a peek here (http://www.sanifix.se/images/urinoarbod01stor.jpg) and you'll have. :smallsmile:

Ahgh! My brain! The idea! Though that isn't half as scary as the idea in some places I went to. They had the idea that you didn't wipe with paper... (I held it in)

Fawkes
2011-02-03, 05:03 PM

Troughs really aren't that bad. Usually there's enough space for everyone to stand with a comfortable buffer. Considering that people choose their own position, you usually end up with more space than you would at a urinal.

Kris Strife
2011-02-03, 05:10 PM
My ideal bathroom is in a bank vault, in a fallout shelter, 20 miles below ground requiring voice, retinal, DNA, and fingerprint scanning (all set to me) to access, so I'd always go to the stall. I like my privacy when I use the bathroom. :smallwink:

Fawkes
2011-02-03, 05:25 PM
My ideal bathroom is in a bank vault, in a fallout shelter, 20 miles below ground requiring voice, retinal, DNA, and fingerprint scanning (all set to me) to access, so I'd always go to the stall. I like my privacy when I use the bathroom. :smallwink:

Have fun crapping your pants on the way there.

userpay
2011-02-03, 06:36 PM
Troughs really aren't that bad. Usually there's enough space for everyone to stand with a comfortable buffer. Considering that people choose their own position, you usually end up with more space than you would at a urinal.

On that note a cruise ship (Voyager of the Seas) I recently went on had a wall urinal (technically a trough urinal) that was a little waterfall in one of their public bathrooms. Twas a nice little thing.

Heliomance
2011-02-03, 08:09 PM
"No matter how you shake and dance, the last few drops fall in your pants."

No matter how you shake your peg, the last wee drop runs down your leg.

Castel
2011-02-03, 11:04 PM
I don't remember, did we already link to the urinal arcades from Japan?

Anxe
2011-02-03, 11:06 PM
Come on. If you're secure about your sexuality, does it really matter? Really?

:smalltongue:

So you're saying I should be more comfortable peeing in a urinal next to a woman?

Coidzor
2011-02-04, 12:12 AM
I don't remember, did we already link to the urinal arcades from Japan?

Either here or in another thread very similar to this one... :smallconfused:

Amiel
2011-02-04, 12:20 AM
No matter how you shake your peg, the last wee drop runs down your leg.

Which has led some males to adopt the practice of sitting down to urinate :smalltongue:

Eldan
2011-02-04, 06:03 AM
My Goodness, good Sir. What an appalling idea.

It is a true affront to masculinity to even consider the very idea. Why, in my days, we would not have considered a privy that was not conveniently located with open-air access to the closest alley. Who ever thought of this ungodly idea of indoor plumbing?

Anyway, at least at home, I'm sitting as well.

maratek
2011-02-05, 10:01 AM
Something i Find somewhat Relevent and Always good for a laugh

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/232839