PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder]Ultimate Combat

TalonDemonKing
2011-01-25, 01:29 PM
Paizo Announces New Pathfinder RPG Hardcover: Ultimate Combat
Ninja, Samurai, and Gunslinger Classes Now in Open Playtest at Paizo.com

Paizo Publishing announced today that open playtesting for Ultimate Combat, a new hardcover rulebook for the smash-hit Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, is now underway. The playtest introduces three new 20-level classes�the gunslinger, ninja, and samurai�in addition to new feats and simple firearm rules. The playtest cycle will last for three weeks, until Monday, February 14th. Pathfinder players are invited to download the free playtest documents on paizo.com and post their thoughts and suggestions to the ongoing discussion on the official Paizo message boards.

Ultimate Combat, a new 256-page hardcover reference, reveals the martial secrets of the Pathfinder RPG rules like never before! Tons of new tricks and techniques for combat-oriented character classes put a sharp edge on your weapons and a sure step in your tactics, ranging from new barbarian rage powers to new cavalier orders, tons of new rogue talents, and more than 60 new archetypes for nearly every Pathfinder RPG character class, including spellcasters like wizards and clerics.

Ultimate Combat is set for an August 2011 release, and will have a MSRP of $39.99. For more information about the Ultimate Combat playtest please visit our website at: http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5lbsx
Gunslinger?
Gunslinger:smallbiggrin:

kaiserthe3rd
2011-01-25, 01:33 PM
Gunslinger?
Gunslinger:smallbiggrin:

The worst part is the August 2011 Release. I'm curious about it.

WitchSlayer
2011-01-25, 01:34 PM
I've never played Pathfinder, but I might be willing to try it to SLING SOME GUNS

kaiserthe3rd
2011-01-25, 01:36 PM
I've never played Pathfinder, but I might be willing to try it to SLING SOME GUNS

That makes me want to play a Blood Storm Blade from TOB that literally slings guns.

Starbuck_II
2011-01-25, 01:46 PM
The classes are pretty good.

One drawback they disallow multiclassing.
No Fighter/Gunslinger
No Ninja/Rogue.
No Samurai/cavalier.

Ravens_cry
2011-01-25, 01:49 PM
Well, there is already a 3rd party gun using class, but yes, this is awesome.
I think a few homebrew tweaks to the Pathfinder Arcane Archer would be cool way to mix magic and mundane.
Now THAT is a Revolver Mage.

MightyIgoo
2011-01-25, 02:08 PM
The classes are pretty good.

One drawback they disallow multiclassing.
No Fighter/Gunslinger
No Ninja/Rogue.
No Samurai/cavalier.

Hibba-bibba-wha? No multiclassing? Pathfinder doesn't allow multiclassing? That's not how I read it. And besides, the ol' Rule 0 fixes that up real nice-like. Ninja/Gunslinger awaaaaaaayyyyy

EDIT: Wow, open mouth, insert foot. Sorry about that, didn't read the source material before I responded. Alternate class feature. Interesting!

Ravens_cry
2011-01-25, 02:14 PM
Basically, they are technically, sorta ,a set of alternate class features. You can't multi class them with the class they replace. Other multiclassing seems open though.

Rixx
2011-01-25, 02:16 PM
Yeah, you can still multiclass - though it's usually not a good idea to do too heavily in Pathfinder.

Gunslinger is a Fighter variant, Ninja is a Rogue variant, and Samurai is a Cavalier variant. You can't multiclass between the same class twice.

MightyIgoo
2011-01-25, 02:40 PM
And the hits keep coming....

According to this (http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizoPublishing/pathfinder/pathfinderRPG/ultimateCombatPlaytest/ninja/firstThoughtOnNinja&page=1#17), there will be rogue and there will be ninja and never the twain shall meet. Starbuck_II, you were right.

EDIT: Yeah. According to the first page of the playtest PDF, each of the three new classes REPLACE the class it's based on. Hum. That's no fun!

subject42
2011-01-25, 02:49 PM
I just gave the Ninja a quick once-over. Other than evasion, how is it not better than the Rogue overall?

Powerfamiliar
2011-01-25, 02:56 PM
I just gave the Ninja a quick once-over. Other than evasion, how is it not better than the Rogue overall?

Ninja does suffer from being Rogue but better. They can even take evasion as a talent. it does look very cool.

true_shinken
2011-01-25, 02:58 PM
I liked both gunslinger and ninja (finally a mystical ninja base class!), but the samurai feels a little bland.

Powerfamiliar
2011-01-25, 03:11 PM
Gunslinger damage potential looks incredibly low. No str to damage, not dex until level 5, no deadly aim.

Ravens_cry
2011-01-25, 03:21 PM
Gunslinger damage potential looks incredibly low. No str to damage, not dex until level 5, no deadly aim.
Not to mention reloading time. Deadly Aim works by default though. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/deadly-aim-combat)
"You can choose to take a –1 penalty on all ranged attack rolls to gain a +2 bonus on all ranged damage rolls. "
This includes guns and magic that relies on attack rolls. Unless I missed something while reading the class. Also, the fact that guns are ranged touch attacks in the first increment, Deadly Aim will be good almost all the time.

Powerfamiliar
2011-01-25, 03:31 PM
Not to mention reloading time. Deadly Aim works by default though. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/deadly-aim-combat)
"You can choose to take a –1 penalty on all ranged attack rolls to gain a +2 bonus on all ranged damage rolls. "
This includes guns and magic that relies on attack rolls. Unless I missed something while reading the class. Also, the fact that guns are ranged touch attacks in the first increment, Deadly Aim will be good almost all the time.

Deadly aim does not work with touch attacks. So it will work, but only after the first range increment, wonky.

Ravens_cry
2011-01-25, 03:39 PM
Deadly aim does not work with touch attacks. So it will work, but only after the first range increment, wonky.
Where does it say that? *reads deadly aim again*
Oh.
Well, I think it is a fairly reasonable house rule for guns only considering that the only other source of bonus damage is magic. The only way to get a ranged touch attack before WAS spells (or brilliant energy arrows) TtBomK.

Volos
2011-01-25, 04:10 PM
Ninjas get a death attack that only takes a round of study to prepare and can be done while completely invisible. I'll take Ninja over Rogue/Assassin any day. Not to mention Ninjas can be played in good parties while Assassins require a bit of Rule 0 and wiggle room to be allowed.

Greenish
2011-01-25, 04:51 PM
Ninjas run on charisma, gunslingers on wisdom? I was surprised samurai didn't have int-based class features.

Gunslingers don't have perception as a class skill (okay, it's not that bad in PF, but still). :smallfrown:

…And the guns suck, no surprise there. :smallannoyed:

[Edit]: And the abominable 2+int skills for martial characters, but that's nothing new.

true_shinken
2011-01-25, 04:59 PM
…And the guns suck, no surprise there. :smallannoyed:

Psst, touch attacks.

Ravens_cry
2011-01-25, 05:04 PM
Psst, touch attacks.
Psst, if Deadly Aim doesn't work, which it technically doesn't, it doesn't matter too much except you'll be able to get your iteratives with a pistol with Rapid Reload. With the usual AC, your first attack will generally hit anyway if you're a full BAB class. I would give them more skill points. 4 plus +Int mod, on par with Barbarians.
I would also say they work with Arcane Archer, despite not been arrows, because that's just cool.

Greenish
2011-01-25, 05:14 PM
Psst, touch attacks.Why plural? So you get to do 1d8 (+dex if gunslinger) damage with one attack each round, or 1d12 every other round, with a change of your gun exploding. All you have to pay for the joy are two feats, 1000-1500gp and 11gp per shot!

Gunslinger can patch on some of the gun's weaknesses, true enough, but the weapons themselves are plain bad.

Starbuck_II
2011-01-25, 05:21 PM
Vital Strike seems a neccessary feat for gunslinger for damage.

Volos
2011-01-25, 05:21 PM
When your iteratives attacks miss, you can go ahead and spend your grit to make the opponent flat footed or entangled or what-have-you. So missing with a gun is actually a boon in some ways.

Ravens_cry
2011-01-25, 05:24 PM
Another problem, 10 gp a shot is just way too expensive in my opinion.

true_shinken
2011-01-25, 05:25 PM
Gunslinger can patch on some of the gun's weaknesses, true enough, but the weapons themselves are plain bad.
I think that's the point, though.
Actually, the stats somehow remind me of the chinese hand cannon

Greenish
2011-01-25, 05:36 PM
When your iteratives attacks missWhat iteratives? :smalltongue:

I think that's the point, though.I get the impression the guns predate the class, seeing how they just state that the stats are final.

And even gunslingers have to burn a feat and grit to shoot more than once per round, and the guns can still misfire, burning more grit to repair them or stop them from exploding.

I don't think dex to damage, or even the vital strike line, are going to cut it for gunslingers as they are, but hey, that's why they're playtesting.