PDA

View Full Version : Band Geeks in the Playground

Perenelle
2011-01-25, 02:59 PM
I'd have to say that almost all of my friends were made through band, and that taking up and instrument has been the best decision of my life. Its amazing to connect with so many people through music. Because of band, I have friends all over my state and even farther. Music teaches you to work hard to reach your goals, and I know my band experiences will stay with me for the rest of my life.

So, fellow devoted band members (Orchestra and chorus members are welcome as well :smallsmile: ) , what are some of your favorite band experiences?

Maybe you were never in band but you played an instrument? Share it with us!

Any other marchers out there? What was your favorite marching band show that you've been a part of?

Any other random band/music related things? feel free to share them as well!

(Note that I don't mean just school bands. Private bands, rock bands, anything that includes playing an instrument is welcome. *hugs* )
http://www.valdosta.edu/library/blog/wp-content/uploads/music-notes.jpg

Jade_Tarem
2011-01-25, 03:01 PM
I was born for this thread!

But I'm about to go to class, so I'll share a little later.

RebelRogue
2011-01-25, 03:19 PM
I suppose that when you say 'band' you mean 'school band', right? I spent one year waaay back in high school playing in the school's band, but apart from that, it's been all 'private' bands. As a guitarist, primarily into rock and metal, that's just the most common kind of band to be a part of. But that year in high school was very educational and exposed me to a more varied range of styles - definitely fun, if rough at times. I was also part of the school choir for that year, primarily because there was a lot of girls :smallbiggrin: That was fun too, but I never considered myself much of a singer, so I haven't pursued that since then.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-01-25, 03:44 PM
I think she means marching band. Afaik, that culture of school marching bands is only in the US. I came in here going "Oooooh, I like being in a band! Wait, that's an odd title..." Then I saw it was Perry posting, and I was like ":smallsigh: THAT type of band."

Mauve Shirt
2011-01-25, 04:02 PM
My only problem with band geeks is that two of my best friends were marching band geeks, and every fall they would be completely unreachable and/or unable to do things. :smalltongue: I was never in the band myself.

FoE
2011-01-25, 04:05 PM
I was in band for about eight years. Of course, since I wasn't in a marching band, I guess I don't get to join the club.

*Hangs baritone over shoulder*

*Walks away with head held low*

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-25, 04:05 PM
I was in the Band for three years, although mine wasn't marching, it was Big Band, and I never really went to rehearsals and only showed up at two presentations, it was partially my fault and partially theirs (the teacher in charge of my section forgot to write us down on the registry and the slips were never sent, that or the orchestra rehearsals conflicted with the band rehearsal and I preferred the orchestra to the band).

I've been in the Orchestra for four years and probably the next one too. I absolutely love it, the pieces we get to play vary from classical (Persian Market) through Disco (Fifth of Beethoven) to Modern (Jesuschrist Superstar). And I get a great freedom to divert from the sheets into whatever I feel if it still fits the harmony and melody.

I think of trying to get into the conservatorium, not for the teen orchestra but for the anime group which plays at Otakufest. I still doubt because I know I will have troubles with the sigthreading part.

I play Piano and really keyboards in general and played the Gonkspiel for one year, I tried once to get into the chorus but my failure to get in got me away from singing.

Perenelle
2011-01-25, 04:21 PM
I think she means marching band. Afaik, that culture of school marching bands is only in the US. I came in here going "Oooooh, I like being in a band! Wait, that's an odd title..." Then I saw it was Perry posting, and I was like ":smallsigh: THAT type of band."

I don't just mean marching band, any band related thing. Outside of school included, anything with instruments involved. :smallsmile:
*pats on back*

My only problem with band geeks is that two of my best friends were marching band geeks, and every fall they would be completely unreachable and/or unable to do things. :smalltongue: I was never in the band myself.

Ah, yes, fall is a very busy time. :smalltongue: School work gets a little hard to manage with all the practices and competitions and such, but at least it doesn't last very long.

I was in band for about eight years. Of course, since I wasn't in a marching band, I guess I don't get to join the club.

Noez! D: come back! You don't have to be in marching band, I was just adding that for discussion. I should probably make that more clear.

I've been in the Orchestra for four years and probably the next one too. I absolutely love it, the pieces we get to play vary from classical (Persian Market) through Disco (Fifth of Beethoven) to Modern (Jesuschrist Superstar). And I get a great freedom to divert from the sheets into whatever I feel if it still fits the harmony and melody.

I love playing different kinds of pieces, especially the really quirky and unique ones. :smallbiggrin:

I still doubt because I know I will have troubles with the sigthreading part.

Bleh, sightreading. I feel your pain, thats my weak point. Give me 10 minutes with a piece and I can play it, throw a piece in front of me and give me 30 seconds? disaster. But I've gotten a lot better this year.

I play Piano and really keyboards in general and played the Gonkspiel for one year, I tried once to get into the chorus but my failure to get in got me away from singing.

I used to take piano lessons, but stopped when I started really concentrating on flute. I still play on occasion.
As for singing, I used to be in my Elementary school's chorus, but I've never been much of a singer. I'm too self conscious.

I suppose that when you say 'band' you mean 'school band', right? I spent one year waaay back in high school playing in the school's band, but apart from that, it's been all 'private' bands. As a guitarist, primarily into rock and metal, that's just the most common kind of band to be a part of. But that year in high school was very educational and exposed me to a more varied range of styles - definitely fun, if rough at times. I was also part of the school choir for that year, primarily because there was a lot of girls :smallbiggrin: That was fun too, but I never considered myself much of a singer, so I haven't pursued that since then.

Any band is fine, not just school. :smallsmile:

I think almost every school choir I've seen/heard is mostly girls. :smalltongue:

Jade_Tarem
2011-01-25, 04:39 PM
Alright, I'm back!

I started in a school band in 6th grade, stayed with it and joined the Grissom Marching Band in High School, and then after four years of that I joined the Auburn University Marching Band, which I stayed with until my senior year, when I had to quit due to coursework taking up too much time.

I really, really enjoyed it. Oh, sure, it had its downsides - things like Band Camp exhaustion, getting up at ungodly hours on Saturday mornings, etc, but I made a lot of friends and have a ton of good memories.

One such memory was when the Auburn band took a trip to Ireland, to march in the St. Patrick's day parade. I've already written about that trip in detail here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83198).

To be honest, I'm not sure any experience will ever match doing the 'run out' for the pregame show in front of 87,000+ screaming fans. That's a level of adrenaline and focus that's really hard to get.

Edit: Oh! And in the ten years I was in one band or another, I played French Horn and Mellophone.

I also learned a great many humorous orchestra jokes from the eternally awesome Dr. Shaffer.

Q: What's the difference between a string bass and a coffin?
A: The coffin has the dead guy on the inside.

Q: What's the difference between an oboe and an onion?
A: Nobody cries when you chop up an oboe.

Q: What's the difference between a french horn and a Scud Missile?
A: The Scud is more accurate, but does less damage.

Q: What's the difference between a chainsaw and a barry sax?
A: You can tune a chainsaw.

Q: How do you make a chainsaw sound like a barry sax?
A: Add verbrato.

Q: What's the difference between a trumpet player and God?
A: God doesn't think of himself as a trumpet player.

Q: How do you tune two piccolos?
A: Shoot one.

Q: So then how do you tune the orchestra?
A: Shoot the other one.

Q: What do you give to an orchestra member who can't play an instrument?
A: Two sticks and a drum.

Q: But what do you do if he has no rythm?
A: Take away one stick and make him the conductor.

Those are all the ones I can remember for now.

pendell
2011-01-25, 04:41 PM
*Waves* Four years in high school marching band and two years in church orchestra afterwards. I'd got a trumpet in 5th grade with the proviso that I had to stick with it to pay off the investment.

Favorite experience would have been going to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina for a regional band competition, with kids from as far away as Virginia and Georgia. This was in May , so we got plenty of beach time and amusement park time as well as vigorous competition on field. Work hard, play harder. And some of the young ladies in marching band looked quite a bit different on the be ... *snaps out of it* But I'm married now so don't think about it any more. :)

Respectfully,

Brian P.

PS. My wife, Susan, was first chair flute in her high school, so I guess band geeks breed together and produce more band geeks :). -- BDP.

RebelRogue
2011-01-25, 04:50 PM
Any band is fine, not just school. :smallsmile:

I think almost every school choir I've seen/heard is mostly girls. :smalltongue:
Cool. In that case I'm a band geek! Been playing in different bands on and off over the years, mostly metal. My current project isn't a real band yet - we're currently writing and demoing songs before assembling the musicians needed (that part can be a real pain).

As for the choir, the funny thing is, I'm a tenor, but there was only two or three other tenors out of the males who was part of the choir. So as backup, we got some of the 'manlier' altos to join us. So much for it being a place to meet girls :smallwink: (No offense meant - they were all cool people).

Perenelle
2011-01-25, 07:11 PM
*Waves* Four years in high school marching band and two years in church orchestra afterwards. I'd got a trumpet in 5th grade with the proviso that I had to stick with it to pay off the investment.

Favorite experience would have been going to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina for a regional band competition, with kids from as far away as Virginia and Georgia. This was in May , so we got plenty of beach time and amusement park time as well as vigorous competition on field. Work hard, play harder. And some of the young ladies in marching band looked quite a bit different on the be ... *snaps out of it* But I'm married now so don't think about it any more. :)

Respectfully,

Brian P.

PS. My wife, Susan, was first chair flute in her high school, so I guess band geeks breed together and produce more band geeks :). -- BDP.

I wish my band had more money so we could go to bigger competitions, that sounds like a lot of fun. :smallsmile:

And yay for flute players! :smallbiggrin:
Strangely enough, I'm the only one in my entire family to ever play an instrument. Dunno where I got it from. :smalltongue:

As for the choir, the funny thing is, I'm a tenor, but there was only two or three other tenors out of the males who was part of the choir. So as backup, we got some of the 'manlier' altos to join us. So much for it being a place to meet girls :smallwink: (No offense meant - they were all cool people).

I have a rather low voice myself :smalltongue: Not super low, but I definitely couldn't sing any higher than an alto part if my life depended on it.

CynicalAvocado
2011-01-25, 07:14 PM
trombone player.
4 years marching, 3 years jazz.

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-25, 07:24 PM
In my family we have:
Me: Piano and Gonkspiel
My Father: Accordion, drums, Guitar and Piano
My Youngest Sister: Electric Guitar and drums
My mother: Used to play Vibraphone
My middle sister: Took violin classses but dropped out early, got into school choir but her voice is nothing great.

My Grandfather's second cousin was this guy (http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armando_Guevara_Ochoa)

I play mainly anime and videogame music in my free time and make jazz arrangement/improvise over them when I can.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-01-25, 07:30 PM
Aye, I could talk about my version of band, but then y'all'd be talking 'bout saxophones and whatnot, and I'm here going... I play violin a little? And guitar? And I write rock songs? Why am I here again? Sooooo, I'll leave the REAL band people to talk about REAL band.

Wait, now I'm confusing myself. :smallsigh:

THAC0
2011-01-25, 08:45 PM
Been a band geek since the fifth grade. I'm now a music teacher, so I suppose I'm a band geek for life.

KerfuffleMach2
2011-01-25, 09:04 PM
Started band in fifth grade, stuck with it through my senior year of high school.

Fifth grade through seventh, I played flute. Then, my eighth grade band teacher suggested I switch to tuba. I did, and stuck with that through senior year.

I was in the marching band during high school. We used Sousaphones instead of regular tubas for that. Which gave us many privileges.

I noticed certain cliques in marching band. Low brass and drumline hung out a lot. Trumpets and mellophones stuck together. Low woodwinds and saxes hung with each other. As did flutes and clarinets. Pit was all by themselves. Same with colorguard.

I loved the show we did my junior year. Bon Jovi. I still know the bassline to "Livin' on a Prayer". And let me tell you, playing that and marching with a Sousaphone at the same time ain't easy.

balistafreak
2011-01-26, 10:38 AM
Yet another high school band geek here. I played piano in my youth, then picked up the trumpet for sixth grade middle school band "right on schedule", as you might say for our school system's education program.

My parents then got me a private teacher with experiences wider than the sea is long, and things just skyrocketed from there. She may be wider than she is tall (:smallamused:), but that tank-like build just means she can play like one, and by the gods, what a sound. And what confidence. God indeed. The problem is that she's old and poor now, having retired from the performance circuit. Now she keeps a farm and drives over the Allegheny mountains every week (about a seven hour round trip, bless her heart) to come teach me and a few select other dedicated students. We've all had her since sixth grade, and now we're all graduating... so sad. :smallfrown:

I've been in Symphonic Band all the way up to this very day; present tense, actually. I've done Marching Band every year in high school. I made (Virginia) All-State Band every year prior, and am waiting for this year's auditions with bated breath. Needless to say I also made All County/District every year too - even in middle school - but this year I somehow did worse in All-District than I ever have, getting only 5th chair, with my best audition ever. I guess I shouldn't have been the poor sod to get auditioned first. :smallannoyed:

In any case, it's freakin' sweet to see fellow bandies on these boards. Keep the faith! :smallwink:

Deth Muncher
2011-01-26, 11:32 AM
I....

-have played euphonium for 8 years, one season of marching
-played tuba for three years, three seasons of marching (ended up marching sousaphone, not the bazookas)
-played trombone for jazz band for two years, no marching.

Dvil
2011-01-26, 01:16 PM
My life has been described as "drink and band", and I can't really disagree.

I started out playing in Brass Bands. They're not marching bands like you Yanks are used to, but we do march (seen here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQggiGE1lWs) - I'm not on there but that's the annual event in which I march).
From there, I've moved on to school orchestra and wind band, a county-wide wind band and I've lately set up a Street band with a few friends (website here (http://www.jazzinmypants.com/), or here (http://www.jazzinmypants.com/?page_id=203)).

I play trumpet, incidentally. Should have started with that, probably.

KerfuffleMach2
2011-01-26, 07:45 PM
I....

-played tuba for three years, three seasons of marching (ended up marching sousaphone, not the bazookas)

Yay Sousas!

They have convenient cup holders, too.

SDF
2011-01-26, 10:15 PM
I played the trumpet since the third grade. The most egotistical and flashy of all the band roles! I also subbed trombone when needed. Played piano since first grade, but have never done it in a group setting. Also, play guitar and have recently reluctantly joined two bands that are guaranteed to be terrible.

Copacetic
2011-01-26, 10:39 PM
Violinist myself. So of course all of my comments could only be construed as elitist criticism, and I shall stay out. Orchestra is wildly cooler and you all know it! Band is loud and awful!:smallyuk::smalltongue:

CynicalAvocado
2011-01-26, 10:49 PM
this is my old band (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn4tZrTs990&feature=related). or at least the interesting part

Private-Prinny
2011-01-26, 11:02 PM

I....

Hooray! There's more of me! I'm only in high school at the moment, but I've played various brass instruments for 8 years. I started with trombone, switched to euphonium, and have recently picked up trumpet. I also sing.

Although I wouldn't say I'm particularly great at any of the above. :smalltongue:

One thing I can say, on the other hand, is that my band director is finally giving me a little spotlight. We're playing Xerxes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoDF8-d4EUs) (hear that trumpet melody? I have the same part. I haven't seen that many ledger lines since jazz trombone music) and The Witch and the Saint (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0Oejbjk_z4) (my school has no bass clarinet player, so I get 3 solos! :smallbiggrin:)

Violinist myself. So of course all of my comments could only be construed as elitist criticism, and I shall stay out. Orchestra is wildly cooler and you all know it! Band is loud and awful!:smallyuk::smalltongue:

I wouldn't really know. The sound of the audience usually wakes me up. :smalltongue:

aart lover
2011-01-26, 11:10 PM
i play in my school's band.i have played for 3 years going on 4 . i would say about 60% of my life is music. i can definitely say that picking up the sax was one of the best moments in my life, even if it was just a crazy ginger yelling " which instrument do you wanna play?!":smalltongue: the people in my band are amazing, always there for one another. i'm a band geek to the end. :smallsmile:

fimzo
2011-01-26, 11:37 PM
I've been playing the violin since I was 10, and still play in my school's orchestra. I've been considering taking up a second instrument, possibly piano or guitar due to the versatility.

I wouldn't really know. The sound of the audience usually wakes me up.
You should listen to Beethoven or Wagner if you think all classical music is soft, mellow and boring. (Not to say no classical music is boring- in fact, I dislike a lot of classical music for this reason.)

Private-Prinny
2011-01-27, 12:05 AM
You should listen to Beethoven or Wagner if you think all classical music is soft, mellow and boring. (Not to say no classical music is boring- in fact, I dislike a lot of classical music for this reason.)

I actually like Beethoven quite a bit (my music theory teacher uses a lot of his pieces as examples, so it's not a lack of exposure). My high school orchestra just has a knack for picking boring pieces.

Szilard
2011-01-27, 12:23 AM
Coincidentally, I just came home from my school's concert. I play tuba. :smallbiggrin:

In marching band too! :smalltongue:

Deth Muncher
2011-01-27, 12:58 AM
One thing I can say, on the other hand, is that my band director is finally giving me a little spotlight. We're playing Xerxes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoDF8-d4EUs) (hear that trumpet melody? I have the same part. I haven't seen that many ledger lines since jazz trombone music) and The Witch and the Saint (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0Oejbjk_z4) (my school has no bass clarinet player, so I get 3 solos! :smallbiggrin:)

Er...my school is doing Xerxes too. You're not in Virginia, are you?

Private-Prinny
2011-01-27, 01:11 AM
Er...my school is doing Xerxes too. You're not in Virginia, are you?

Nope. Massachusetts.

Deth Muncher
2011-01-27, 02:42 AM
Nope. Massachusetts.

Straaaaaange.

fimzo
2011-01-27, 08:21 AM
I actually like Beethoven quite a bit (my music theory teacher uses a lot of his pieces as examples, so it's not a lack of exposure). My high school orchestra just has a knack for picking boring pieces.

So does mine, although that might be because a lot of my orchestra is fairly bad, and never perform the music (I think many of them took this class hoping to do nothing all year). The one remotely interesting piece we were planning to play last year was taken off the list because few people could play it.

randman22222
2011-01-27, 11:25 AM
Oh yeah. The blood runs thick in my veins.

Started on clarinet, and hated it. I played for three years, doing jazz for the latter two, which was more bearable, before switching to bassoon for classical. That was a HUGE improvement in terms of fun. Then I picked up tenor sax, and played it in jazz band for my last two years of high school. (I had more or less dropped clarinet completely by then. I just screw around a bit now and then with it.) I haven't played tenor sax since graduating, which is a crying shame, because I loved it, but... They're just so expensive! Anyway, I added guitar to the mix around the same time as the tenor sax, with some screwing around on a bass guitar now and then. Also did some vocal work in the last two years, but I don't like my timbre.

Anyway, now I've been playing bassoon, and enjoying it, for sevenish years, and really want to get a tenor sax again. Been playing guitar for about three years (wait... already?! :smalleek:) as well. While classical isn't where I feel most comfortable, I do enjoy bassoon. Jazz has been my happy place in the musical world.

Also, are there any composers out there? I've been teaching myself for about a year and a half now... After my forensic bio degree, I plan on doing the uni thing again, but for composition. (Film score/electronic type stuff.)

grimbold
2011-01-27, 12:16 PM
i have met quite a few good people in my school band
it got me into music when i first started cello at the age of 8

RedDeerJebediah
2011-01-27, 01:59 PM
Wow... no one else is in a rock band? :smallconfused:

I play keyboards and do backing vocals in an progressive/experimental rock band. We actually played our first gig together yesterday, which was awesome. :smallbiggrin: The crowd was really into it, which surprised me quite a bit; I had honestly expected the vast majority to just be completely thrown-off and confused due to our rather rapid changes in style and dynamics (different people compared us to Pink Floyd, Mr. Bungle and Meshuggah... awesome!), but I guess we just did it convincingly enough.

Anyhow, I freaking love being in a band! Especially when everyone's taste in music is just as strange and diverse as my own. My bandmates are among my best friends and we just have a blast writing and playing insane rock music :smallbiggrin:

For'Ninniach
2011-01-27, 05:51 PM

Yo,
I was.
Drums. Ftw.

~~
I propose we all put the current pieces' names that our band is playing (if you're in one) and your instrument?

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-01-27, 06:21 PM
Yo,
I was.
Drums. Ftw.

~~
I propose we all put the current pieces' names that our band is playing (if you're in one) and your instrument?

Yo.
Guitar/Lyricist.
Ftw?

Move to T.O, we can have band, and laugh at all the marching band peeps.
Also, as for diverse musical tastes, that's basically who I am. My friends are like "Dude, I just realized, almost all of my stranger music I get off of you." And I'm like "Yeah. I know."

AshDesert
2011-01-27, 10:16 PM
I played clarinet in my school's band from 5th to 7th grade, and violin in the orchestra from 6th to 8th. I've played guitar for over 10 years now, starting in 3rd grade after my brother did, and in 9th grade I decided to quit school orchestra to focus on the guitar and private bands after moving from Minnesota to Texas.

I've played in my current primarily blues based band (but with jazz, rock, and old school British Invasion pop mixed in) for the past 4 years, but we're all going to different colleges, so that's going to mostly fall apart, but we had a good run. I'm still pretty bummed about it, but I'll move on. I also played in a big band with some of my friends down here who are in band (kind of like the Brian Setzer Orchestra (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVpz9k5myno), although we just played instrumentals). I like composing music of all kinds, although I'm an okay lyricist at best.

I have a fairly good vocal range, at least in the sense that I can hit notes of a wide range on pitch. My voice only sounds decent in a tenor range though, so the few times when I do sing (very rarely, maybe once per show) I sing fairly high-pitched.

Eruantion
2011-01-27, 10:33 PM
Aww, am I the only clarinet lover in here? Everyone else seems to have switched.

Copacetic
2011-01-27, 10:57 PM
I wouldn't really know. The sound of the audience usually wakes me up. :smalltongue:

Your snarky comments, disarmed!
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-ORHWt-y4Q)

THAC0
2011-01-27, 11:26 PM
Aww, am I the only clarinet lover in here? Everyone else seems to have switched.

I love clarinets. They're overall the easiest instrument to start on, and therefore infinitely less frustrating to me when I am teaching beginning band. :smallwink:

...apart from the tendency to be RIDICULOUSLY FLAT.

Asta Kask
2011-01-28, 04:29 AM
Can I make an "American Pie" joke?

fimzo
2011-01-28, 08:29 AM
Hey, my brother tried the clarinet! Before he... uh... switched to saxophone... never mind.

Your snarky comments, disarmed!
Nice! This makes me want to learn to play the electric violin.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-01-28, 10:05 AM
My school just bought an electric violin. :smallbiggrin:

Copacetic
2011-01-28, 05:21 PM
Nice! This makes me want to learn to play the electric violin.

Its easy! Learn to play the violin. :smallcool:

JealousjealousjealousjealousJEALOUS!

fimzo
2011-01-28, 05:33 PM
Its easy! Learn to play the violin. :smallcool:

I wasn't sure how different they would be, but if they're the same as you suggested, I just need to get one.

My school just bought an electric violin.
My school can't afford new music stands, let alone an electric violin. That must be neat to have.

For'Ninniach
2011-01-28, 05:34 PM

I'm pretty sure your band/school wins extremely hard.
harder than my band wins.

SPEAKING OF VIOLINS:

I played violin for 3 years. I never play it; so I got bored so I painted it. Plus it's from eBay. So, it's carpy.http://img88.imageshack.us/i/mmspicture44.jpg/

fimzo
2011-01-28, 05:38 PM
I played violin for 3 years. I never play it; so I got bored so I painted it. Plus it's from eBay. So, it's carpy.http://img88.imageshack.us/i/mmspicture44.jpg/

So do they sell carpbone violins on eBay?

It looks good, though. Do you know if it's still in playing condition (if it were restrung, etc.)? That would be neat to play.

Someone in my orchestra has a vibrant purple violin.

Murska
2011-01-28, 05:54 PM
I play bass. Not currently in a band, but I was in one, and it made me some great friends and helped me gain self-confidence during a rather crucial time. It was, generally, awesome. There's just something special in playing music with a bunch of people who're all really good friends and can match each other's style well.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-01-28, 05:56 PM
I'm pretty sure your band/school wins extremely hard.
harder than my band wins.

We don't have a school band. Or any real music program. Not sure why we got that violin. :smallsigh: Instead of, y'know, things we actually need. Like, y'know, internet in the library that DOESN'T take 10 minutes to load up EVERY PAGE! :smallfurious:

distant quasar
2011-01-28, 05:57 PM
I play percussion. In a shool band, and a marcher as well.:smallsmile:

fimzo
2011-01-28, 06:11 PM
We don't have a school band. Or any real music program. Not sure why we got that violin. :smallsigh: Instead of, y'know, things we actually need. Like, y'know, internet in the library that DOESN'T take 10 minutes to load up EVERY PAGE! :smallfurious:

I'd trade my school's decent internet connection for the electric violin.

THAC0
2011-01-28, 07:18 PM
~~

Rock band or any band?

If it's anyband...

The community orchestra I play with is doing Brahms 1, and we'll be starting Peter and the Wolf and 1812 Overture soon.

My beginning band is playing (simplified)Star Wars, Dragon Dance, and (simplified)Jupiter.

For'Ninniach
2011-01-29, 01:34 PM
Rock band or any band?

If it's anyband...

The community orchestra I play with is doing Brahms 1, and we'll be starting Peter and the Wolf and 1812 Overture soon.

My beginning band is playing (simplified)Star Wars, Dragon Dance, and (simplified)Jupiter.

PETER AND THE WOLF?!
Oh jeeeeez. I love that song. We might do that for our band.

They're probably doing the Chorale from Jupiter. I remember doing that in 7th grade.
--
We's doing
Chester by William Shuman
Arrangements from Wicked
The Muppet's theme (full orchestra)
Jurassic Park theme (full orchestra)
Beyond the Horizon (by I don't give a carp)
Festive Prelude
and First Suite in Eb. I remember doing the Chaccone(?) in 8th grade, and I played trumpet back then. Now I play French Horn, and I NEVER have the melody until the last movement. It's so weird, I feel like I have to play the first movement as trumpet, and it TORTURES me that I can't Dx

P.S. Our school is the public school with the music and theater magnet. So, it's super good. We've got (in order of playing level) [Band] Symphonic Band, Concert Band, and then Wind Ensemble (which is the one I'm in). And then there's Jazz I and II along with the School's Jazz Ensemble (which is one trumpet player, one saxophonist, a bassist, a pianist, a drummer, and I think that's it.) [Orchestra] Beginning Orchestra, Strings, Concert Orchestra, Chamber Orchestra. [Choir] Choir I, Women's Choir, Men's Choir, JV Choir, Varsity choir. Then they have the Pops Singers.

Yo.
Guitar/Lyricist.
Ftw?

Move to T.O, we can have band, and laugh at all the marching band peeps.

Lol, marching band. I remember doing that. Infact- I have a picture.

That freaking uniform and hat were fitted to me. It was 90 degrees when I played in that at the fourth of July parade. I remember sweat dripping down my face like a waterfall. I left after that year. Thank god.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs068.snc3/13552_1316160346709_1311723564_934602_5181083_n.jp g

If you can't tell, I'm playing the trumpet.

THAT IS AN OSTRICH FEATHER PLUME; my band director gave us SO MUCH CARP about that.

So do they sell carpbone violins on eBay?

It looks good, though. Do you know if it's still in playing condition (if it were restrung, etc.)? That would be neat to play.

Someone in my orchestra has a vibrant purple violin.

I once played in an ensemble with a guy who had a purple euphonium.

Thufir
2011-01-29, 02:06 PM
Well, I played violin in the orchestra for the school show once, viola another time, and violin occasionally in the school string orchestra (Though I tried to avoid that on the grounds that it was pretty terrible).
But since I was 16 or so I've been much more a choir geek than a band geek.
And lately I seem to be becoming more a G&S geek than a choir geek, but never mind.

I was once at a school choir rehearsal which was one fifth male! There were five people at the rehearsal.

But yeah, it's a problem. We always used to be fine for the christmas carol concerts, because they'd just draft in my A-level music class (Almost entirely male) to help. But the rest of the year there'd be very few males in the choir.

I like the clarinet! But I've never played it.

KerfuffleMach2
2011-01-29, 02:56 PM
Rock band or any band?

If it's anyband...

Wow...my marching band did Peter and the Wolf my senior year.

Also, the normal band played some music from Pirates my senior year. That stuff's got some funky time signatures. And most of the bassline is off beat. Which was annoying.

Thufir
2011-01-29, 03:04 PM
Also, the normal band played some music from Pirates my senior year. That stuff's got some funky time signatures. And most of the bassline is off beat. Which was annoying.

Pirates?
I'm guessing you mean 'of the Carribbean', but as it is, your statement is open to misinterpretation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirates_of_penzance).

KerfuffleMach2
2011-01-29, 03:07 PM
Pirates?
I'm guessing you mean 'of the Carribbean', but as it is, your statement is open to misinterpretation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirates_of_penzance).

...<_<...>_>...

I completely did that just to test you...

...<_<...>_>...

Yeah...

Dvil
2011-01-29, 04:52 PM
The time signatures in Pirates (of the Caribbean) aren't too funky, I reckon. Quite fun, in fact.

Then again, I've always been a fan of compound time, so maybe my opinion doesn't really represent the majority.

Nomrom
2011-01-29, 07:25 PM
Q: What's the difference between a trumpet player and God?
A: God doesn't think of himself as a trumpet player.

This is so true. I played trumpet for seven years, all through middle and high school. We sure can be prideful. Definitely preferred marching band to concert band. I liked being able to play REALLY loud. I ended up quitting my senior year though, cuz I didn't like our new director. I haven't played at all since then, about five years ago. Lots of good memories, I kind wish I'd tried harder now.

RebelRogue
2011-01-30, 05:23 AM

I play keyboards and do backing vocals in an progressive/experimental rock band. We actually played our first gig together yesterday, which was awesome. :smallbiggrin: The crowd was really into it, which surprised me quite a bit; I had honestly expected the vast majority to just be completely thrown-off and confused due to our rather rapid changes in style and dynamics (different people compared us to Pink Floyd, Mr. Bungle and Meshuggah... awesome!), but I guess we just did it convincingly enough.

Anyhow, I freaking love being in a band! Especially when everyone's taste in music is just as strange and diverse as my own. My bandmates are among my best friends and we just have a blast writing and playing insane rock music :smallbiggrin:
Sure, well more metal really (and it's not a full band yet), but in Copenhagen too. What band? Is there a chance I might have heard of it? I love prog myself.

RedDeerJebediah
2011-01-30, 07:27 AM
Sure, well more metal really (and it's not a full band yet), but in Copenhagen too. What band? Is there a chance I might have heard of it? I love prog myself.

Well, as of the one and only concert we've played our band name is Red Deer Jebediah =p but it's just somewhat of a joke since we coulnd't agree on a proper name. We haven't been in a recording studio yet, so we don't have any songs up on the interwebs either; but if you'd like I could send you a PM here the next time we're playing a concert so you can come and hear for yourself =)

RebelRogue
2011-01-30, 07:49 AM
Well, as of the one and only concert we've played our band name is Red Deer Jebediah =p but it's just somewhat of a joke since we coulnd't agree on a proper name. We haven't been in a recording studio yet, so we don't have any songs up on the interwebs either; but if you'd like I could send you a PM here the next time we're playing a concert so you can come and hear for yourself =)
Feel free to shoot me a PM when the time comes, and I'll see what I can do :smallsmile: I can return the favor if you'd like, but it will probably be a while before we get that far.

RedDeerJebediah
2011-01-31, 07:15 AM
Feel free to shoot me a PM when the time comes, and I'll see what I can do :smallsmile: I can return the favor if you'd like, but it will probably be a while before we get that far.

Please do :smallsmile: and good luck with completing the band. That crap can just take forever. We had so many crappy bassists up for "auditions" or whatever you'd call it... it definitely tests the collective patience of the band.
What kind of metal do you guys play, btw? I might be able to set you up with someone (I doubt it, but it is a possibility :smalltongue:)

RebelRogue
2011-01-31, 06:04 PM
Please do :smallsmile: and good luck with completing the band. That crap can just take forever. We had so many crappy bassists up for "auditions" or whatever you'd call it... it definitely tests the collective patience of the band.
What kind of metal do you guys play, btw? I might be able to set you up with someone (I doubt it, but it is a possibility :smalltongue:)
We're not really recruiting atm. It's a conscious decision - the bass player and I have a writing chemistry and know each other well, having both played and worked together for a number of years. Right now we are focusing on writing songs and doing some simple demos of those. We don't really want to involve too many people in this process and untill we're done with that, no money is wasted on a rehersal space that will get little use anyway. In short, we want to make sure there's something specific to do for the members before they join. So thanks for the offer, but we're not in that phase yet :smallsmile: In the meantime, we've talked about doing some acoustic cover gigs just the three of us (maybe eventually mixing in originals). Chances are, it'll be such a gig, if anything.

It's female-fronted melodic metal. Natural points of reference are stuff like Evanescence, Nightwish etc, but more metallic I guess. I think we sound pretty different from these bands, but it's a good overall pointer still.

PJ the Epic
2011-01-31, 07:52 PM
You already know about me, Perenelle. :smalltongue:

For the others, I play clarinet in marching band and bassoon in everything else. And the flute I made. But I just play that on my own.

EDIT: Oh, also, I'm going to be first chair bassoon in the local honor band on Valentine's Day. For the second year in a row. :smallbiggrin:

KerfuffleMach2
2011-01-31, 09:09 PM
Highest I ever got was second chair. Which, in all honesty, worked for me. I was never good at hitting the high tuba notes. But I was good at the low ones.

And playing the theme from "Phantom of the Opera" is fun on a tuba.

Barbin
2011-01-31, 10:01 PM
Yay, band-talk.

I recently just started my first band with two friends of mine. I'm Bass/Lead Vocals.

I'm really excited to see how it's going to turn out.:smallbiggrin:

Dvil
2011-02-01, 03:45 PM
I just discovered our band may have a gig on next week. Hooray for gainful employment!

Dvil
2011-02-15, 04:57 PM
BUMP:

And as an edit to that, we discovered that we're on youtube, with a professionally edited film! See my sig for details.

The Blackbird
2011-02-15, 05:59 PM
My brother's avatar is of his former band director, he even based his first D&D villain after the guy.:smallbiggrin:

I have him now, sometimes I have to remind myself not to call him him the villain's name.

Gravitron5000
2011-02-17, 10:00 AM
I love clarinets. They're overall the easiest instrument to start on, and therefore infinitely less frustrating to me when I am teaching beginning band. :smallwink:

...apart from the tendency to be RIDICULOUSLY FLAT.

Really? I always found the differences in fingering between the upper and lower registers to be confusing. I could never get the hang of that (granted, I didn't try that hard).

Anyhoo, I played alto sax for around 14 years, both concert band and jazz (big band mostly). My favourite remembrances are messing with our big band conductor, having the concert band conductor complement the french horns when myself and a friend on tenor sax were the only people playing their part, and the fact that no other alto in my last 2 years in concert band would play solos during a performance (only in practice). There's nothing like someone leaning over just at the start of a song telling you that they won't be doing the solo, so I better be ready :smallbiggrin: I miss it, and am trying to start playing after a 12 year hiatus, but it's hard to find the motivation to play when you are not part of a band, and it's hard to become part of a band when you are not happy with the degradation in your ability (which would improve if you would just practice).

ForzaFiori
2011-02-17, 11:41 AM
I'm an honorary member of my HS's marching band. Almost all of my friends were in it, and I could play several of their instruments (well, kinda play anyway. More than non-band members). If I hadn't been at a really crappy school when I had the option of joining, I would have.

outside of school bands, I play guitar and bass, and am looking for a real band.

THAC0
2011-02-17, 12:01 PM
Really? I always found the differences in fingering between the upper and lower registers to be confusing. I could never get the hang of that (granted, I didn't try that hard).

Anyhoo, I played alto sax for around 14 years, both concert band and jazz (big band mostly). My favourite remembrances are messing with our big band conductor, having the concert band conductor complement the french horns when myself and a friend on tenor sax were the only people playing their part, and the fact that no other alto in my last 2 years in concert band would play solos during a performance (only in practice). There's nothing like someone leaning over just at the start of a song telling you that they won't be doing the solo, so I better be ready :smallbiggrin: I miss it, and am trying to start playing after a 12 year hiatus, but it's hard to find the motivation to play when you are not part of a band, and it's hard to become part of a band when you are not happy with the degradation in your ability (which would improve if you would just practice).

Well, I start teaching over the break about halfway through the year, but it's very rarely required in beginning band music, so it poses no frustration to anyone at this point. :smallbiggrin: