PDA

View Full Version : Demon-Touched (3.5 thematic race)

Broken Wings
2011-01-25, 04:51 PM
Here is a race I designed not to long ago designed for those who want to play a race closely associated with demons and the abyss, they are based slightly off real world legends of half fiends.

Demon-Touched

Racial Traits

+2 CHA, -2WIS: Demon-Touched have strong personalities like the demons that surround them, but these presences also make them susceptible to the will of others and often mildly, if not totally, insane.

Demon-touched have Darkvision out to 30ft.

Demon-Touched base land speed is 30 feet.

Demon-Touched are medium size creatures

Humanoid (Planetouched): Due to their close association and susceptibility to demonic possession, Demon-Touched are partially removed from other material plane creatures.

Demonic Influence(Su): Because they are born lacking souls, Demon-Touched are extremely susceptible to the influence of the denizens of the abyss and cannot fight off demonic possession on their own. Any save made resist demonic possession automatically fails (unless they are on hallowed ground or in a magic circle against evil). Once possessed, however, a Demon-Touched can make saves to resist the effects of a demonic possession, but they cannot expel their demonic rider without the aid of another. Because of their strong connection to demons, a demon-touched has a chance to influence them as well giving them a +2 to CHA related checks with demons.

Abyssal Whispers(Su): A demon-touched can, as a full round action that provokes attacks of opportunity, listen to the whispers of the abyss giving her a +2 bonus to one attack roll, save, or skill check 1/day, and the bonus must be applied within one minute (10 rounds) of listening to the whispers or that use of the ability is wasted. At 5th level and every five levels after this bonus increases by +2 and can be used one additional time per day. Once used, this ability has a 10% chance of activating the Dark Pact (see below) and randomly adding the Pact bonus to an ability score (roll a d6 to determine) as well as causing a penalty of -4 to Dex, Int, Wis, and Cha as the whispers overwhelm her psyche for the duration of the Dark Pact.

Dark Embrace(Su): A Demon-Touched is born without a soul, but instead has a strong connection to the Abyss, however, when the Demon-Touched dies, that part of her essence is automatically returned to the chaotic realm of demons, and she can only be brought back with a True Resurrection, Wish, or Miracle spell, even then, a caster must make a DC 35 Spellcraft check to restore the character to life or the attempt fails and a demon instead takes over the body and turns it into a fiendish creature.

Unbeating Heart(Ex): Due to the lack of a soul, a Demon-Touched's heart does not beat though she still lives. Any creature that has to identify her by lifesense or a similar ability cannot perceive her, and any effect that targets her heart to harm or heal her has no effect, and she has 25% fortification to turn any critical hit into a normal hit. Spells and effects such as Deathwatch detect her as neither alive nor dead. Despite her heart not being the organ that keeps her body active, the Abyss provides her the energy she needs to live (much as an undead's connection to the negative energy plane) and she does not require sleep, though she still needs to eat and breathe as any material plane native would.

Dark Pact (Su): 1/day a Demon-touched who does not have a demonic rider can choose to call forth a demon to possess her for a number of rounds equal to her CHA mod + 3, giving her a +4 bonus to any one ability score during this time.

Automatic Languages: Common, Abyssal Bonus Languages: Infernal, Draconic, Ignan, Undercommon

Favored Class: Warlock

This is second post, first homebrew project, PEACH

Fluff will be added in at a later date.

Jarrick
2011-01-25, 05:33 PM
Nice of you to join us, my friend. Welcome to the playground. :smallwink:

Now, onto business...

Here is a race I designed not to long ago designed for those who want to play a race closely associated with demons and the abyss, they are based slightly off real world legends of half fiends.

Demon-Touched

Racial Traits

+2 CHA, -2WIS: Demon-Touched have strong personalities like the demons that surround them, but these presences also make them susceptible to the will of others.

Outsider(Native): Due to their close association and susceptibility to demonic possession, Demon-Touched are partially removed from other material plane creatures.

Native outsider is usually worth a +1 LA. If you want to avoid the notion, make it Humanoid (plane-touched) so they can be affected by spells that target both humanoids and outsiders.

Demonic Influence(Su): Because they are born lacking souls, Demon-Touched are extremely susceptible to the influence of the denizens of the abyss and cannot fight off demonic possession on their own. Any save made resist demonic possession automatically fails (unless they are on hallowed ground or in a magic circle against evil). Once possessed, however, a Demon-Touched can make saves to resist the effects of a demonic possession, but they cannot expel their demonic rider without the aid of another.

heh heh heh... :smallamused:

Abyssal Whispers(Su): A demon-touched can, as a full round action that provokes attacks of opportunity, listen to the whispers of the abyss giving her a +2 bonus to one attack roll, save, or skill check 1/day. At 5th level and every five levels after this bonus increases by +2 and can be used one additional time per day.

This needs a duration, otherwise she could listen in the morning and save the bonus all day until she needs it. I'd say "made within the next 10 minutes" or some such.

Dark Embrace(Su): A Demon-Touched is born without a soul, but instead has a strong connection to the Abyss, however, when the Demon-Touched dies, that part of her essence is automatically returned to the chaotic realm of demons, and she can only be brought back with a True Resurrection, Wish, or Miracle spell, even then, a caster must make a DC 35 Spellcraft check to restore the character to life or the attempt fails and a demon instead takes over the body and turns it into a fiendish creature.

Huh, definately do your best not to die then. :smalltongue:

Unbeating Heart(Ex): Due to the lack of a soul, a Demon-Touched's heart does not beat though she still lives. Any creature that has to identify her by lifesense or a similar ability cannot perceive her, and any effect that targets her heart to harm or heal her has no effect. Spells and effects such as Deathwatch detect her as neither alive nor dead. Despite her heart not being the organ that keeps her body active, the Abyss provides her the energy she needs to live (much as an undead's connection to the negative energy plane), though she still needs to eat, sleep, and breathe as any material plane native would.

This is cool and flavorful. Makes me think it needs a critical hit dampening effect, like 20% fortification maybe.

Automatic Languages: Common, Abyssal Bonus Languages: Infernal, Draconic, Ignan, Undercommon

All in all, not bad. Needs a little kick, but I'm not sure what exactly... anyone else?

Broken Wings
2011-01-25, 05:49 PM
Changes up

Changed type and subtypes, added additional stipulations to subtypes.

Added duration for using Abyssal Whispers ability.

Added fortification to Unbeating Heart.

Antonok
2011-01-25, 07:27 PM
Glad you can join us. Now lets see what we can do about this homebrew.

Demon-Touched

Racial Traits

+2 CHA, -2WIS: Demon-Touched have strong personalities like the demons that surround them, but these presences also make them susceptible to the will of others.

Humanoid (Planetouched, Chaotic): Due to their close association and susceptibility to demonic possession, Demon-Touched are partially removed from other material plane creatures and lawful energies are damaging to their chaos infused essence. A Demon-Touched is still a material plane creature and gains no ability to overcome damage reduction thanks to her chaos aligned subtype.

I'd drop the Chaotic subtype. Giving them both the planetouched and chaotic subtypes, and still giving them the option of being of a non chaotic alignment, that stacks up to alot of potential weaknesses and bookkeeping without giving much in return overall.

Demonic Influence(Su): Because they are born lacking souls, Demon-Touched are extremely susceptible to the influence of the denizens of the abyss and cannot fight off demonic possession on their own. Any save made resist demonic possession automatically fails (unless they are on hallowed ground or in a magic circle against evil). Once possessed, however, a Demon-Touched can make saves to resist the effects of a demonic possession, but they cannot expel their demonic rider without the aid of another.

Might want to think about giving them bonuses to Cha related checks against demons, since a demon would be able to tell one of these guys have a strong connection to the abyss. All this ability boils down to is because of that connection, its easier for a demon to possess them. Something like familiar ground.

Abyssal Whispers(Su): A demon-touched can, as a full round action that provokes attacks of opportunity, listen to the whispers of the abyss giving her a +2 bonus to one attack roll, save, or skill check 1/day, and the bonus must be applied within one minute (10 rounds) of listening to the whispers or that use of the ability is wasted. At 5th level and every five levels after this bonus increases by +2 and can be used one additional time per day.

I like it, but every time I read the ability name it makes me think of the Whisper Demon, or some nutjob sitting in a corner rocking back and forth going 'Hehe, the voices don't like you....'

This... I have nothing for.

Unbeating Heart(Ex): Due to the lack of a soul, a Demon-Touched's heart does not beat though she still lives. Any creature that has to identify her by lifesense or a similar ability cannot perceive her, and any effect that targets her heart to harm or heal her has no effect, and she has 25% fortification to turn any critical hit into a normal hit. Spells and effects such as Deathwatch detect her as neither alive nor dead. Despite her heart not being the organ that keeps her body active, the Abyss provides her the energy she needs to live (much as an undead's connection to the negative energy plane), though she still needs to eat, sleep, and breathe as any material plane native would.

With Jarrick's suggestion this is fine now. Although you could probably get away with making it to where they don't have to eat or sleep too, since thats a trait common to demons.

Fluff will be added in at a later date.

Broken Wings
2011-01-31, 03:00 PM
Changes made...

added +2 bonus to CHA related checks when dealing with demons

no changes made to sustenance requirements, demon-touched are too closely related to material plane creatures to not need to eat, drink, or sleep.

Jarrick
2011-01-31, 03:21 PM
Now its starting to get that "possessed" feel to it. I like it.

That's really going to be the trick; setting this apart as "demonically influenced" as opposed to merely "Fiendish" like the teifling.

I might actually play one of these at some point.

Debihuman
2011-02-07, 11:49 AM
Looks like some LA is in order but I'm not good at balancing this stuff.

Debby

Human Paragon 3
2011-02-07, 12:34 PM
I would add in the risk for wisdom drain when you use your abilities to contact another plain or summon a demon into yourself. That would be a flavorful debuff, enough to remove the need for LA in my opinion.

Maybe for 10 minutes after a demonic creature leaves her body, she gets -4 to Int, Wis, and Cha, and when she uses the "abyssal whispers" ability, there's a percent chance of it activating her 1/day Dark Pact, too.

Broken Wings
2011-02-08, 05:18 PM
Changes made...

Abyssal Whispers and Dark Pact are affected.

Once used, this ability has a 10% chance of activating the Dark Pact (see below) and randomly adding the Pact bonus to an ability score (roll a d6 to determine) as well as causing a penalty of -4 to Dex, Int, Wis, and Cha as the whispers overwhelm her psyche for the duration of the Dark Pact.