PDA

View Full Version : Entering Arcane PrC as Divine Magician

Yorae
2011-01-25, 05:05 PM
I have a question about the Divine Magician ACF and its interaction with certain prestige classes.

For those who are unaware, "some clerics choose to explore magical powers beyond those commonly provided by the gods" - You sacrifice one of your domains in exchange for the ability to cast some arcane spells, adding one Abj. Div. or Necro. spell from the Wiz/Sorc list to your spell list for each level of spell you can cast, like a domain.)

This clearly allows a Cleric to qualify for entry into many PrCs that have a prerequisite of being able to cast arcane spells of X level.

Specifically, I'm working on a Warlock / Divine Magician Cleric and I'd like to take the Eldritch Theurge once I'm out of levels in Eldritch Disciple. It looks like I qualify for it just fine and I think it would be pretty interesting. I was considering taking Alternate Source Spell to make some of my divine spells arcane as well and combining that with Spellblast. I'm sure there's some neat things you could do with that.

However, would the classes casting progression increase my Cleric casting? I would think yes, since it is the arcane caster that qualified me for the class, but I was hoping for other opinions on this (and just to share the idea -- I thought it sounded cool). Any thoughts?

dextercorvia
2011-01-25, 05:10 PM
It is highly debatable that this works. Since the wording is that it adds them to your spell list, they are considered cleric spells, which are divine.

If your DM goes for it, then great, but most folks I've seen disagree. You probably have more of a RAW case with Anyspell.

Yorae
2011-01-25, 06:44 PM
It is highly debatable that this works. Since the wording is that it adds them to your spell list, they are considered cleric spells, which are divine.

If your DM goes for it, then great, but most folks I've seen disagree. You probably have more of a RAW case with Anyspell.

What exactly is Anyspell?

Edit: Ahh, found it. The Spell domain looks pretty darn good, anyway, as far as domains go. May as well take it, too!

dextercorvia
2011-01-25, 08:37 PM
If you are going for raw power, probably Dweomerkeeper is your best bet. If instead you would like Arcane versatility, and a flavorful yet plenty powerful build, I would suggest Mage of the Arcane Order. You have to take a crappy metamagic feat, but you get two bonus in return, and most importantly you get access to the Spellpool.

With the spell domain, you will use a spellbook, so you actually can benefit from that feature as well.

Just remember that if you wanted to Divine Metamagic, your Arcane spells don't qualify. You can get around this 2/day by being a Naenhoon Illumian. You lose a feat vs. being a standard Human, but you don't have to spend one on DMM, and you aren't stuck with Persist all of the time.