PDA

View Full Version : Good Wu Jen prestige classes?

Brock Samson
2011-01-25, 06:00 PM
Just curious what people think?

Half-orc Bard
2011-01-25, 06:58 PM
Blood Mage or whatever it's called

JellyPooga
2011-01-25, 07:16 PM
More Wu Jen is the somewhat predictable answer...no PrC's (to my knowledge) advance their Elemental Mastery or Spell Secrets features. Having said that, neither is dependant on Class Level, so PrCing is a viable option (and means you don't have to pick up any more Taboos!).

Anything good for a Wizard is equally valid for a Wu Jen. Personally I quite like the idea of multiclassing Wu Jen with something like Dread Necromancer and taking the Ultimate Magus PrC to expand my spont casting options with spells that aren't usually available to classes that use the Sorcerer/Wizard list (spells like Cobra's Breath, Kiss of the Toad, Snake Darts and Heart Ripper are particular favourites of mine).

Psyren
2011-01-25, 07:53 PM
Jade Phoenix Mage, just to keep with the eastern theme. :smallbiggrin: Plus, Body Outside Body lets you flip out and become an entire cabal of warrior wizards by yourself.

JeminiZero
2011-01-25, 08:14 PM
Possibly Mage of the Arcane Order, although the fluff is a bit off. The Spellpool provides you with any Wizard/Sorc spell, but the full round action to retrieve means its mostly only good for utility stuff.

Amphetryon
2011-01-25, 08:23 PM
You may want to jump in through MotAO, as JeminiZero advocates above, but the Master Transmogrifist offers some good synergy with a Wu Jen's strengths.

Fishy
2011-01-26, 01:19 AM
It's a bit hard on the flavor, as Air isn't an eastern element, but Elemental Adept is pretty good for Wu Jen. Giant Size + Whirlwind form = Awesomeness.

If the game will go long enough that it becomes a factor, Body Outside Body clones can't use spellcasting, but can use Invocations, Maneuvers, and the like. This makes Jade Phoenix Mage, Eldritch Theurge and the like more interesting.

Spell Secrets are a boost to any class focused on a single spell- Master of the Unseen Hand, Swiftblade, Master Transmogrifist, and... Mindspy, I guess, Force Missile Mage would be excellent if you could finagle it onto your spell list.

The Elemental Mastery feat from Complete Mage lets you spontaneously cast arcane spells (sort of), which opens up oddities like Dracolexi, Dragonheart Mage, Exalted Arcanist, and Ultimate Magus.

Grumman
2011-01-26, 02:12 AM
A two level dip in Incantatrix, so your Body Outside Body clones can Persist or Repeat further castings of Body Outside Body.

Gish PrCs, for the "one man regiment".

One that's less powerful but that I like anyway is the Flux Adept from the Dragon Compendium. The Capstone makes it harder for your clones to die, and means you cannot be killed by the feedback.

gorfnab
2011-01-26, 02:19 AM
Jade Phoenix Mage, just to keep with the eastern theme. :smallbiggrin: Plus, Body Outside Body lets you flip out and become an entire cabal of warrior wizards by yourself.
Wu-Jen and Jade Phoenix Mage combine in another interesting way. The Wu-Jen spell Transcend Mortality (CM) + the Emerald Immolation ability from Jade Phoenix Mage (ToB) = blowing yourself up for fun and profit. A build for this would be something like Wu-Jen 5/ Warblade 1/ Jade Phoenix Mage 10/ Abjurant Champion 4

Soren Hero
2011-01-26, 03:58 AM
A two level dip in Incantatrix, so your Body Outside Body clones can Persist or Repeat further castings of Body Outside Body.

Gish PrCs, for the "one man regiment".

One that's less powerful but that I like anyway is the Flux Adept from the Dragon Compendium. The Capstone makes it harder for your clones to die, and means you cannot be killed by the feedback.

or have ur simulacrum duplicate body outside of body

Coidzor
2011-01-26, 09:00 AM
Potentially, dips in things like Sandshaper, Wyrm Wizard, PrC Bard for extra spells known, if they're of interest/use to the playstyle's quick-response shtick, along with MotAO for utility would shore up any real casting deficiencies.

Becoming a macross missile massacre yourself with Eldritch Theurge (but please, please try to get early entry for the class here) or a DIY wall of blades with those clones + maneuvers as a gish are both pretty nifty ideas though, I must admit.

Last Laugh
2011-01-26, 09:37 AM
as a warning my keyboards 'c' key is finicky.

I really like shadowcraft mage for wu-jen, you can get free metatmagis on your silent images, whih is pretty handy. (isn't enlarge one of the choices?)

Kyouhen
2011-01-26, 11:18 AM
Wild Mage. Just for the hilariously high caster levels on your chosen element. :smallbiggrin:

Pechvarry
2011-01-26, 12:02 PM
<random aside>It occurs to me that all of the spell secret choices are the +1 metamagic feats from the PHB. It really makes me think any other +1 metamagic choice should be valid choices.</random aside>

I like the Mage of the Arcane Order idea, but here's a simple one: Abjurant Champion. The moment I realized they get into said class just as easily as wizards is the moment I realized that any gish build takes on a new, cool flavor when done with a wu jen.

Hazzardevil
2011-02-27, 01:25 PM
I am currently making a Wu Jen with levels in Silver Pyromancer and it gives me access to the paladin spell list and enhances my fire spells. I also take body outside body as a spell to get into situations of the opponent is facing an army of armoured casters that are ready to blast you every turn or scatter and swarm.

Coidzor
2011-02-27, 05:36 PM
^: Wait, Silver Pyromancer gives Pally spells? How did I not know this already! :smalleek: Need to give the class another look then.

Spell Secrets are a boost to any class focused on a single spell- Master of the Unseen Hand, Swiftblade, Master Transmogrifist, and... Mindspy, I guess, Force Missile Mage would be excellent if you could finagle it onto your spell list.

I think they might be able to get into Wyrm Wizard and grab the spell for this purpose. Missed it last time... <_< >_>

Last Laugh
2011-02-27, 06:04 PM
I am currently making a Wu Jen with levels in Silver Pyromancer and it gives me access to the paladin spell list and enhances my fire spells. I also take body outside body as a spell to get into situations of the opponent is facing an army of armoured casters that are ready to blast you every turn or scatter and swarm.

I know that PrC, but where is it from? I'm feeling eberron...

Time for another of my page turning sessions.

WAITAMINUTE master PrC list/google

EDIT EDIT: KAZOOO 5 Nations.
Relevant quote:

In addition, Starting at 1st level, you can treat spells from the paladin spell list as if they were arcane spells on the spell list for the arcane spellcaster class in which you could cast 3rd-level spells before coming a silver pyromancer.
So Beguiler 5/Recaster 2/Sacred Exorcist 1/Silver Pyromancer 1 would be sweet. must use sacred spell/versatile spellcaster+heighten spell or suck up beguiler 6, which isn't so bad.

Hazzardevil
2011-03-01, 05:31 PM
I'm not going down that road of cheese though, I'm going down the road of Nar Demonbinder and Ultimate Magus so I have access to a lot of useful stuff off the paladin list.

Analytica
2011-03-01, 08:07 PM
So Beguiler 5/Recaster 2/Sacred Exorcist 1/Silver Pyromancer 1 would be sweet. must use sacred spell/versatile spellcaster+heighten spell or suck up beguiler 6, which isn't so bad.

Sadly no. See later in that paragraph, it explicitly calls out warmage or warmage-like casting as ineligible for this. :smallfrown: