PDA

View Full Version : High damage weapons?

BIGMamaSloth
2011-01-25, 08:16 PM
I'm looking for a weapon that does huge damage without magical enchantments and the like. something like that big mess of antler's from frostburn that does 3d6 damage. Any one know of something like that, but with as much damage as possible?

Beelzebub1111
2011-01-25, 08:20 PM
Any 2-handed weapon, really. Most damage from melee comes from strength and power attack, not dice. So either scythe or fashion for the crits.

Volos
2011-01-25, 08:26 PM
Dice to damage is for casters and sometimes rouges. You just want to have the right feats and whatever feats from the power attack tree that are allowed. If you have the right source books you can add 15 or so to every damage roll before power attack.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-01-25, 08:33 PM
Melee-wise... minotaur greathammer in MM 3 (I think)

Ranged wise?.... the Great Crossbow RoS

sonofzeal
2011-01-25, 08:36 PM
EWP:Fullblade deals 2d8.

Strongarm Bracers on top of that, and you're at 3d8 and feeling pretty dandy.

Keld Denar
2011-01-25, 08:37 PM
High base damage is actually important for one things. Size stacking. Yes, sometimes size DOES matter. If you are skipping along the size progression, you'll see that the chart is VERY non-linear. Say...2d6 goes to 3d6 goes to 4d6 goes to 6d6 goes to 8d6 goes to 12d6 goes to 16d6 goes to 24d6 goes to 32d6 and it just gets silly from there. Getting into the 8-12d6 range is pretty fun.

Surprisingly, the easiest weapon to scale like that? The Unarmed Strike. Its a natural weapon, so it benefits from Imp Natural Weapon, and its bludgeoning, so it works for Greater Mighty Wallop (RotDragon). Combine with a side of Expansion, and you've got a 8 size increase. Starting with a 2d6 base UAS, and you're swinging 32d6 hamfists all day long. POW! Right in the kisser!

Czin
2011-01-25, 08:41 PM
Melee-wise... minotaur greathammer in MM 3 (I think)

Ranged wise?.... the Great Crossbow RoS

Yes, once you get the minotaur greathammer, you really don't need anything else if you're not going for spike chain cheese builds.

BIGMamaSloth
2011-01-25, 08:45 PM
Volos you mentioned power attack tree. There is a tree? I thought it was just the one feat.

sonofzeal
2011-01-25, 08:46 PM
Volos you mentioned power attack tree. There is a tree? I thought it was just the one feat.
I believe he's referring to Leap Attack. Hopefully. =P

Joshinthemosh
2011-01-25, 08:48 PM
Finally something I can help with today.

Take a Greatsword. That does 2d6 of damage. I would actually suggest a Jovar from Planar Handbook at this point because it's 2d6 18-20/x2

Then make it a Heavy Weapon. Magic of Faerun p. 179. It will make a 2d6 weapon 2d8. It costs a feat so why not take it with a better weapon anyway. You could also theorectically do this with a fullblade(2d8 19-20/x2 in Arms and Equipment Guide but the next part won't work as it's already a huge weapon)

Then you get a pair of Strongarm Bracers from the Magic Item's Conpendium. This allows you to wield a weapon one size larger. You also take Improved Crit just for kicks and giggles.

Your damage with a Large Heavy Jovar is now 4d6 15-20/x2.

Enjoy

Also the posters above me are right. This may not be the most efficient way to do increase damage but it is so damn fun :smallcool:

Edit-
EWP:Fullblade deals 2d8.

Strongarm Bracers on top of that, and you're at 3d8 and feeling pretty dandy.

I was under the impression that Strongarm Bracers wouldn't work on a Fullblade as it's already a huge weapon. If it does than I'm stoked but I feel it doesn't stack that way.

sonofzeal
2011-01-25, 08:57 PM
Edit-

I was under the impression that Strongarm Bracers wouldn't work on a Fullblade as it's already a huge weapon. If it does than I'm stoked but I feel it doesn't stack that way.
I believe Fullblades aren't actually "large", they're just statted as if they were.

Barbarian MD
2011-01-25, 09:35 PM
And if the fullblade isn't enough for you, the Heavy Greathammer in my sig deals a smidge more damage.

But yes, the Fullblade is the biggest non-homebrew weapon in 3.5. Believe me, I've looked.

Joshinthemosh
2011-01-25, 09:36 PM
I believe Fullblades aren't actually "large", they're just statted as if they were.

They are not "large" weapons they are "Huge" weapons

Arms and Equipment Guide pg 6. Sorry the books not letting me copy and paste.

Huge
Fullblade 2d8 19-20/x2 100gp.

Strongarm Bracers would make that a Gargantuan weapon.

If this does indeed work with the Bracers than I'm never using another weapon ever again. But I think due to the number of size increases it can't.

tyckspoon
2011-01-25, 09:42 PM
They are not "large" weapons they are "Huge" weapons

Arms and Equipment Guide pg 6. Sorry the books not letting me copy and paste.

Huge
Fullblade 2d8 19-20/x2 100gp.

Strongarm Bracers would make that a Gargantuan weapon.

If this does indeed work with the Bracers than I'm never using another weapon ever again. But I think due to the number of size increases it can't.

It should be noted the A&EG uses 3.0 rules for weapon sizing, which are rather different- specifically, in 3.0 weapons had their own sizes. In 3.5, they're defined in relation to the creatures that wield them. You don't get a 'Large Longsword' any more, you just have a 'Longsword made for a Large creature.' Similarly, a Fullblade wouldn't be a Huge object any more, it's just an exotic weapon sized for a Medium (usually) creature. So you could size-increase it from there the same as a Greatsword. If you wanted to convert it to 3.5, anyway.

sonofzeal
2011-01-25, 09:57 PM
It should be noted the A&EG uses 3.0 rules for weapon sizing, which are rather different- specifically, in 3.0 weapons had their own sizes. In 3.5, they're defined in relation to the creatures that wield them. You don't get a 'Large Longsword' any more, you just have a 'Longsword made for a Large creature.' Similarly, a Fullblade wouldn't be a Huge object any more, it's just an exotic weapon sized for a Medium (usually) creature. So you could size-increase it from there the same as a Greatsword. If you wanted to convert it to 3.5, anyway.
Yeah, that's my understanding too. The "Huge" just means it's treated as of the Huge size category for such purposes as AC etc if someone's attacking it.

Ravens_cry
2011-01-26, 12:18 AM
Great Falchion.
Crit like scimitar, hit like a Greataxe.
Even more fun with Keen or similar effect.

Joshinthemosh
2011-01-26, 12:20 AM
Finally something I can help with today.

Take a Greatsword. That does 2d6 of damage. I would actually suggest a Jovar from Planar Handbook at this point because it's 2d6 18-20/x2

Then make it a Heavy Weapon. Magic of Faerun p. 179. It will make a 2d6 weapon 2d8. It costs a feat so why not take it with a better weapon anyway. You could also theorectically do this with a fullblade(2d8 19-20/x2 in Arms and Equipment Guide but the next part won't work as it's already a huge weapon)

Then you get a pair of Strongarm Bracers from the Magic Item's Conpendium. This allows you to wield a weapon one size larger. You also take Improved Crit just for kicks and giggles.

Your damage with a Large Heavy Jovar is now 4d6 15-20/x2.

Enjoy

Also the posters above me are right. This may not be the most efficient way to do increase damage but it is so damn fun :smallcool:

Edit-

Edit 2:
Thanks to sonofzeal and tyckspoon for clairifications
Do everything I said and just change the weapon to Fullblade. That should net you................oh dear god 4d8 17-20/x2. That'll hurt

Darrin
2011-01-26, 06:39 AM
Edit 2:
Do everything I said and just change the weapon to Fullblade. That should net you................oh dear god 4d8 17-20/x2. That'll hurt

Due to how the table works for Heavy Weapons, a large-sized Heavy Fullblade would actually be 2d8 -> 3d8 -> 6d6 damage.

Combat Reflexes
2011-01-26, 06:53 AM
There is also the Caber, a 2d6 damage ranged weapon that looks like a big log. Because it IS a big log.

And I believe there was someone here on the boards who created the rules for a bunch of weapons taped together, IIRC.
©®

@V: Hurray! Now I can finally have the 10-javelin ranged attack I always wanted!

sonofzeal
2011-01-26, 08:05 AM
There is also the Caber, a 2d6 damage ranged weapon that looks like a big log. Because it IS a big log.

And I believe there was someone here on the boards who created the rules for a bunch of weapons taped together, IIRC.
©®
Voila~! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60864)

Coidzor
2011-01-26, 08:53 AM
I believe he's referring to Leap Attack. Hopefully. =P

Shocktrooper and Leap Attack seem like the most likely candidates for "power attack tree."

IIRC, the Orcish Shotput does a similar amount of damage and was updated to 3.5 officially, for whatever that's worth.