PDA

View Full Version : God Complex Character (help)

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-01-25, 10:31 PM
I have a character concept in mind but I need a little help. The character is a Lesser Steam Para-Genasi with, as Steam-Para-Genasi are prone too, a serious ego. In this case, Mayfire Harpsung makes up for his overly effeminate name by only answer to "Monty" and has a serious God complex, where he strictly disassociates himself with all religion besides his own.
I was going for a melee build, thinking Warblade for the primary base class. When I bounced the idea off my DM and told him I was looking for a PrC he mentioned Ur Priest. I wasn't really looking for spellcasting type character, but the fluff was so perfect. The only issue I have is that the group I play in consists primarily of player that seem addicted to playing Exalted characters and I make a terrible evil character; I seriously can't do it.
What other PrC or build recommendations would you make?

Thanks.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-01-25, 11:26 PM
Paladin that is the follower of.. himself. Neither Clerics or Paladins are required to have a god... They just have alignment restrictions... (or not in the case of clerics)

Waker
2011-01-25, 11:29 PM
Not amazingly powerful, but you could try Defiant from Planar Handbook. Basically it's a group that says that Gods aren't worthy of worship. They get a number of powers used to oppose Divine spellcasters and Outsiders.

Maho-Tsukai
2011-01-26, 09:49 AM
If you don't mind some 3rd party content there is a pdf called "Ultimate Prestige Classes"(I forget the company that makes it.) which has a PrC called "The Society of Atheists" that, while fluffed as part of a society can EASILY be refluffed to fit a lone Atheist. The class is a very nice 5 level class that focuses on battling divine spellcasters and is rather awesome at it. The issue? It's an ARCANE PrC and you specifically stated you want a melee build. While divine is certainly better for melee I suppose going as a duskblade for a base could give you a "melee-ish" character with that PrC. Or, you could forget taking a melee class at all, be a Wizard/Society of Atheists and just use Polymorph, Tesner's Transformation Shapechange ect..if you ever feel like whacking enemies instead of hinder and/or kill them with spells.

It may not be exactly what your looking for but, hey, it fits the fluff of your character so I just thought I should run it past you.

Sir_Chivalry
2011-01-26, 11:12 AM
As the DM in question, I would second the Defiant suggestion, and point out that the exalted characters can go suck on a lemon for all I care, since I want to see Monty soon!!

Cog
2011-01-26, 11:19 AM
The only issue I have is that the group I play in consists primarily of player that seem addicted to playing Exalted characters and I make a terrible evil character; I seriously can't do it.
Then all you have to do is look at the adaptation section; it's very easy to make a non-evil Ur-priest. Ask your DM what an appropriate replacement for Spell Focus (evil) might be, or suggest one yourself, and you're fine.

If you don't want too castery of a character, look at some of the martial/divine PrCs. Ones with slow casting advancement are pretty nice on top an Ur-priest instead, and keep you from getting 9ths before you otherwise would.

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-01-26, 05:33 PM
If you don't mind some 3rd party content there is a pdf called "Ultimate Prestige Classes"(I forget the company that makes it.) which has a PrC called "The Society of Atheists" that, while fluffed as part of a society can EASILY be refluffed to fit a lone Atheist. The class is a very nice 5 level class that focuses on battling divine spellcasters and is rather awesome at it. The issue? It's an ARCANE PrC and you specifically stated you want a melee build. While divine is certainly better for melee I suppose going as a duskblade for a base could give you a "melee-ish" character with that PrC. Or, you could forget taking a melee class at all, be a Wizard/Society of Atheists and just use Polymorph, Tesner's Transformation Shapechange ect..if you ever feel like whacking enemies instead of hinder and/or kill them with spells.

It may not be exactly what your looking for but, hey, it fits the fluff of your character so I just thought I should run it past you.

I think the company you're thinking of is Mongoose Publishing but, unfortunately, I don't have access to the pdf. PM me if you know where I could get it, cause it'd be a good read, I'm sure.

As the DM in question, I would second the Defiant suggestion, and point out that the exalted characters can go suck on a lemon for all I care, since I want to see Monty soon!!

Awesome, then I'll look into Defiant.

EDIT: I thought I heard of feat or template that let you wield weapons as if you were a size category larger. Does anyone know what it is?

nedz
2011-01-26, 06:35 PM
Unwitting Favoured Soul of some chaotic god ?
Its just a crazy twist on your idea :smallsmile:

Urpriest
2011-01-26, 06:46 PM
EDIT: I thought I heard of feat or template that let you wield weapons as if you were a size category larger. Does anyone know what it is?

Many people think Monkey Grip lets you do this...it sort of does. It lets you use a weapon one size category bigger with a -2 penalty. Generally not worth it.

There are a number of races which get Powerful Build, which also may be what you're thinking of. Goliath is probably the best, with Half-Giant being another fairly popular choice.

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-01-26, 07:12 PM
Many people think Monkey Grip lets you do this...it sort of does. It lets you use a weapon one size category bigger with a -2 penalty. Generally not worth it.

There are a number of races which get Powerful Build, which also may be what you're thinking of. Goliath is probably the best, with Half-Giant being another fairly popular choice.

Does powerful build let you use weapons a size category larger?

Urpriest
2011-01-26, 08:02 PM
Does powerful build let you use weapons a size category larger?

Yes. It also treats you as large for a few other things, like opposed checks and some special attacks.

The Glyphstone
2011-01-26, 08:08 PM
The alternative to Powerful Build is the 5000GP Strongarm Bracers from MIC, which allow you to wield a weapon one size larger than normal without penalty.

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-01-26, 08:29 PM
The alternative to Powerful Build is the 5000GP Strongarm Bracers from MIC, which allow you to wield a weapon one size larger than normal without penalty.

6000 gp for Strongarm Bracers or a feat. I wish they stacked.