PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Fun "Tank" build

Earlstoke
2011-01-26, 12:15 AM
I am not looking to powergame much here. Just trying to make a memorable character.

We have recently started a fresh game. I am a level 2 elven fighter using a few custom rules on races.

Long story short at level 2 I have the Constant defender feat, Combat reflexes, and Weapon Focus Greatsword.

As of right now I am using a tower shield along with my mainhand weapon. I intend to take monkey grip for the greatsword and just have a hell of a time with a huge shield and a huge sword and fighting defensively and all that jazz.

What I'm looking for is some not terribly farfetched fun things to do with the character. as I have seen some great stuff come out of here I pose it to you guys to help me out.

Thanks a lot in advance for any responses. :D

-Earl

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-01-26, 12:33 AM
I wouldnt bother with monkey grip. tower shield maybe, but not monkey grip. you are better off with a different, one handed weapon. Preferably one that can trip people.

Elfin
2011-01-26, 12:43 AM
Crusadercrusadercrusadercrusadercrusadercrusader.
Also, instead of Monkey Gripping a greatsword and using a tower shield, consider a tank or tripping build. Grab a guisarme, get Combat Reflexes, Improved Trip, Stand Still, Defensive Sweep, possibly EWP (meteor hammer or spiked chain), and buy a few Enlarge Person potions.
Meatshield ahoy.

Psyren
2011-01-26, 01:17 AM
What are your stats and what books are available? That can help us decide what you should go towards next. (Staying in fighter is an option... not the best option, but still an option)

Saint GoH
2011-01-26, 01:21 AM
I personally love crusader tanking. Self Healing every few rounds and a stance that basically forces enemies to attack you? lovely.

If you have ToB available go that route for a memorable character.

Escheton
2011-01-26, 02:03 AM
Being able to take blows from allies, by swapping places is nice.
Having a higher armorclass than that ally causing the foe to miss is a good start.

Taking crusaderlvls so you can use strikes that deal decent damage without power attack opt-fu or intensive featuse, automatic selfhealing, and stances and boosts that make not attacking you basically debuff your foe or even draw an attack from you- is where it becomes actual tanking.

Essence_of_War
2011-01-26, 02:26 AM
Check out person man's Knight Handbook:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109429

and the Crusader Handbook:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181655

These will give you some ideas of how to build an effective Tank. If you're going to be a Tank you need 2 things:
1) Some reason for the enemy to be interested in attacking you instead of the squishy people.
2) Some way to keep them occupied with you, without killing you, once they're interested.

Both the Knight and the Crusader work really well for this.

The knight satisfies 1) with the Test of Mettle which forces enemies to aggro him. It satisfies 2) usually by having a Glaive or other reach weapon and using it to trip them. They'll draw a ton of attacks, but as long as they have combat reflexes, a reach weapon, and Improved Trip/Knockdown, they stand a good chance of locking down a large group of enemies while the casters and the sneaky folk finish them off.

The Crusader accomplishes 1/2 by using Thicket of Blades with a reach weapon. It cuts off enemy movement, so simply by interposing your reach radius with the enemies path to the squishy people, you create opportunities to disable them. Same general strat for disabling applied.

Necro_EX
2011-01-26, 04:43 AM
Spiked chain, improved trip, combat reflexes, and a decent dex.

You now threaten so effectively that if you can get the enemy into that 10-foot range, you're going to get a shot at them. You might not knock them all down, but it's a pretty effective way of keeping the enemy's melee from reaching your party's squishy wizard. Similar effect is achieved with the guisarme, but the chain's nice because you threaten adjacent squares.

Alternatively, play a knight. Make them come to you.

Greenish
2011-01-26, 09:54 AM
As of right now I am using a tower shield along with my mainhand weapon. I intend to take monkey grip for the greatsword and just have a hell of a time with a huge shield and a huge sword and fighting defensively and all that jazz.Monkey Grip doesn't work like that.

[Edit]: You could, however, use a large longsword, which does is almost the same thing. You don't want Monkey Grip though, you want Strongarm Bracers (MIC).

Dr.Epic
2011-01-26, 10:07 AM
Bear Warrior because what's more fun than turning into a bear? You're enemies will find you un-BEAR-able!

Grumman
2011-01-26, 01:39 PM
For me, the Uber-tank is the Crusader / Hellreaver, with the option of a few other levels to taste. You can heal an average of 100 points of damage a round, every round, while still fighting.