PDA

View Full Version : [D&D] Crossbreeding?

TroubleBrewing
2011-01-26, 05:16 AM
So, I happened across the Mongoose Publishing book "Crossbreeding: Flesh and Blood" and wanted to know if anybody else had used this supplement before. I'm considering using it as a campaign hook: the party goes out into the wilds and captures things for their transmuting wizard employer's menagerie, or something along those lines. Maybe they're working for a mercenary organization who wants to use the creations as living weapons. Anyways, anybody ever used the book before? If so, were there any glaring errors/cool critter combinations you happened upon? (Errors besides the obvious: it is, after all, a mongoose book.)

JeminiZero
2011-01-26, 06:13 AM
The first link in mysig might give you some crossbreeding ideas. :smallbiggrin:

TroubleBrewing
2011-01-26, 06:16 AM
Ha. I wish. No, my group has met over this book and we've agreed not to use template stacking to achieve greatness. Also, the book specifically forbids the use of undead for mixing.

Gnoman
2011-01-26, 07:27 AM
I use it and rather like it. The one major flaw I've found is that it gives little guideline for the CR of the finished creature.

Minor flaws are:

1: Much reference is given to the possibility to create a race of creatures, but too little is given as to the specifics of such.

2: The creature subtype system can be a little counterintuitive at times.