PDA

View Full Version : Enough with the snow!

CoffeeIncluded
2011-01-26, 03:11 PM
Now I love snow, but this is just way too much! It's constant! Yesterday it snowed. Today it snowed. A couple days ago it snowed. The snow from December's still here. It's supposed to snow this entire weekend! At this rate the stuff won't be gone until April!

Hey, fellow New Yorkers, remember that June we had a couple of years ago, where it would not. Stop. Raining?! Well, this is that June. But with snow.

Dear God, my basement's going to be a frigid swamp when this melts...

Spiryt
2011-01-26, 03:17 PM
My neighborhoods are always a swamp. Ground here is damn clay that makes me inch taller after I go to walk with the dog after the rain.

And about ~ 1.5 feet of snow managed to fall and melt this winter. Now it's cold again. Weird stuff. :smallwink:

Traab
2011-01-26, 03:17 PM
I live in ct and feel the same. Can I get one solid week without having to shovel?! I hurt my arm from the last big storm because it was tons of slush and heavy snow/ice and have yet to fully recover, its snowing right now, and tonight im told to expect another significant snowfall. I cant see the road from our driveway because the snow is piled so damn high and its just getting worse and worse!

John Cribati
2011-01-26, 03:27 PM
I just got in from shoveling. My gawd, it was horrible. Relatives in Jamaica are complaining that it's cold (read: 70OF) down there. I would buy them a plane ticket on the most expensive airline in the world just to shut them up.

rayne_dragon
2011-01-26, 03:29 PM
This is why I moved to vancouver... although it does rain here all the time, the snow doesn't last (except on the mountains).

thubby
2011-01-26, 03:35 PM
hey, in the state bellow you iit was snowing, now it's sleeting. it's like dealing with mud made of cold and death.

CosmicSol
2011-01-26, 03:44 PM
Getting to class today was anything but easy, I'll agree. But I sort of love New York City when it snows.

(I'm sure I'll get sick of it when the temperature drops to negatives.)

Dr.Epic
2011-01-26, 03:51 PM
I love the snow. Just call me Mister White Christmas, Mister Snow, Mister Icicle, Mister 10 below.

Mando Knight
2011-01-26, 03:57 PM
Here in Central (-ish) Missouri, we just hit about 60 F (~15 C for you Metric folks out there) today. I think we're finally going to be rid of most of the snow here for a couple of weeks.

Strife Warzeal
2011-01-26, 03:58 PM
I love the snow. Just call me Mister White Christmas, Mister Snow, Mister Icicle, Mister 10 below.

I'm Mister Green Christmas, Mister Sun, Mister Heat-Blister, Mister 101. :tongue:

Keld Denar
2011-01-26, 04:03 PM
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome Seattle is.

LALALALALALAALALALALALALAAL!!!!

*snowboards down the mountain*

Move to the left coast, we have cookies! And mountains! Real mountains!

Dr.Epic
2011-01-26, 04:06 PM
I'm Mister Green Christmas, Mister Sun, Mister Heat-Blister, Mister 101. :tongue:

...Brother?

hobbitkniver
2011-01-26, 04:11 PM
Dude, I'd totally trade you. Here, its enough to make me shovel, but not enough for my classes to get canceled.

Dvandemon
2011-01-26, 04:21 PM
I don't get snow :smallfrown:

FatJose
2011-01-26, 04:29 PM
I hate the snow, I hate the snow, i hate the rain, i hate the sleet, man i sure do hate the snow!

The entirety of the front steps at my apartment are covered in ice and surrounded by 3 feet of snow. There are cars on the street that look like huge square blocks of frost. Thank you, Winter.

Lillith
2011-01-26, 04:52 PM
Snow? What snow? What's snow? I haven't seen snow since the 31st of December. I swear as soon as 2011 hit all was defrosted and gone. I seriously doubt that we'll get any more of it either. It sleeted a bit two days ago but it was gone as soon as it hit the ground.

My bf however seems to be unable to open his door cause of the mountains of snow leaning against it. Funny enough we'd love to trade places. :smalltongue:

CoffeeIncluded
2011-01-26, 05:03 PM
I think the worst part is not the fact that there's snow, but that it. Won't Stop. Practically every day, more and more of it! And I'm short, so my pant legs are always dipped in filthy gray-and-brown sand and slush. And then it's always a damp cold, which is the worst, where I feel like there's icicles and freezing water soaked through to my bones and I really can't stand it.

I miss sunny days.

Orzel
2011-01-26, 05:13 PM
I am SICK OF THIS SNOW. I am TIRED OF SHOVELING. Brooklyn can't take much more frozen precipitation.

My back. It hurts.

Lillith
2011-01-26, 05:37 PM
Snow seems to have a tendency of doing the opposite of what I want. For years I've wanted a white Christmas. So my bf invited me to come spend Christmas at his place, because it would snow like crazy there every single year. Of course when I got there it was the first time in decades that it didn't snow. My bf hates snow however so I invited him to stay here for Christmas cause it never snows. Of course we had the first white Christmas in decades with inches of snow that stayed for days on end.

So, who wants to get rid of their snow problem? Just invite me and see it melt before my plane lands at the airport. :smallbiggrin:

Orzel
2011-01-26, 06:08 PM
Snow seems to have a tendency of doing the opposite of what I want. For years I've wanted a white Christmas. So my bf invited me to come spend Christmas at his place, because it would snow like crazy there every single year. Of course when I got there it was the first time in decades that it didn't snow. My bf hates snow however so I invited him to stay here for Christmas cause it never snows. Of course we had the first white Christmas in decades with inches of snow that stayed for days on end.

So, who wants to get rid of their snow problem? Just invite me and see it melt before my plane lands at the airport. :smallbiggrin:

...Hnnn
*checks wallet*

Nah.
With your luck, we'll get another blizzard once you land and you'll be stuck here.

ForzaFiori
2011-01-26, 06:47 PM
You think it's bad there? It snowed half a foot here a little while ago, and we're COMPLETELY unprepared for it. No plows, no one owns chains for their tires, nothing. Completely shut the town down for like 3 days. School was canceled for 5. It was the biggest snow here since '89. then, as it warmed up, it's been raining for like a week. It's all clay here, so now everything is just caked in bright red mud.

Elfin
2011-01-26, 06:55 PM
I have never, ever seen snow within a hundred miles of my home. I'll take some of yours, if you'd like.

KerfuffleMach2
2011-01-26, 08:48 PM
I live in Michigan. Surrounded by lakes. We get random snows, rain in winter, cold days followed by warm days, and more snow.

It's been in the 50's F and single digits in the same week. With snow and rain.

It can be in the 40's during the day and single digits the same night.

I've actually seen 70 degree weather in December here.

The weather is unpredictable here. About the only thing we don't get is hurricanes.

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-26, 08:58 PM
I've never seen snow, not even hail, coldness is pretty rare.
I hate sunlight though, the sun is annoying, harmful to the delicate complexion of us borderlines Hikikomoris.
I will willingly move to somewhere where the light shines less and snow falls more as soon as it's reasonable for me.

Howler Dagger
2011-01-26, 09:04 PM
I wish we had snow, last time we did they let us out of school early

Andraste
2011-01-26, 09:52 PM
I would happily take some snow off your hands, if that were possible. Here in Oregon it snowed for one day a bit before Thanksgiving, then nothing.

THAC0
2011-01-26, 11:35 PM
It's currently colder in Georgia than in my part of Alaska.

Something is wrong. :smallmad:

fimzo
2011-01-26, 11:50 PM
I live in Michigan. Surrounded by lakes. We get random snows, rain in winter, cold days followed by warm days, and more snow.

It's been in the 50's F and single digits in the same week. With snow and rain.

It can be in the 40's during the day and single digits the same night.

I've actually seen 70 degree weather in December here.

The weather is unpredictable here. About the only thing we don't get is hurricanes.

I used to live in Michigan, and still visit my relatives there sometimes. It's nothing compared to Minnesota... Did you know St. Paul has one of the largest average temperature ranges in the country? You are right that Michigan's bad as well, though. I'd place it in the top three for erratic winter weather.
snowsnowsnowsnowsnowsnowsnowsnowsnowsnowsnowsnowsn owsnowsnowsnowsnowsnowsnowsnowsnow SOMUCHSNOW!

An Enemy Spy
2011-01-27, 12:54 AM
Can we have some here in the Pacific Northwest? MAybe you could give us some of your snow, so we had more and you had less. It's a win-win situation for everyone!

firemagehao
2011-01-27, 12:57 AM
I am not a New Yorker, but I used to live is Boston, and one year, it snowed so much that it did not fully melt away until June.

Orzel
2011-01-27, 06:28 AM
Looks like the city is shut down from snow....

AGAIN!!

Eldan
2011-01-27, 06:30 AM
Dude, I'd totally trade you. Here, its enough to make me shovel, but not enough for my classes to get canceled.

Phh. Here they don't ever cancel classes for weather.

Form
2011-01-27, 07:32 AM

Uh-oh....

Best make preparations to keep the water out?

CoffeeIncluded
2011-01-27, 08:03 AM
Looks like the city is shut down from snow....

AGAIN!!

I know. God what is it, another foot? Maybe another foot and a half on top of what's left? *Sigh*

And no, my basement always floods.

Thought at least school is canceled. :smallbiggrin:

Orzel
2011-01-27, 08:11 AM
I snaked all the drains to my basement and shovelled some to prevent my basement from flooding.

Surprise. Surprise.
My company is still open and expects me to get in with the unplowed streets, no bus service, and poor train service.

Be glad there's a politics rule or you'd see a rant.

CoffeeIncluded
2011-01-27, 08:13 AM
I snaked all the drains to my basement and shovelled some to prevent my basement from flooding.

Surprise. Surprise.
My company is still open and expects me to get in with the unplowed streets, no bus service, and poor train service.

Be glad there's a politics rule or you'd see a rant.

Dude. We can barely open the back door. :smalleek:

pendell
2011-01-27, 08:22 AM
Now I love snow, but this is just way too much! It's constant! Yesterday it snowed. Today it snowed. A couple days ago it snowed. The snow from December's still here. It's supposed to snow this entire weekend! At this rate the stuff won't be gone until April!

Hey, fellow New Yorkers, remember that June we had a couple of years ago, where it would not. Stop. Raining?! Well, this is that June. But with snow.

*Waves*

I live in Virginia, but I sympathize.

First of all, you've got to understand that yesterday was my first day back at work after a 102.2 degree fever, so I was trying to take it easy.

The office closed at 3PM to avoid the snowfall during rush hour. I left the office at that time.

I finally got home at 9 PM. I spent 1 hour on the freeway and five hours grinding along at less than a mile an hour every ten minute in a great big line of cars. The snow completely blocked my windows, so at intervals I had to get out with a scraper (while still in the middle of traffic, mind) and scrape off the windows just so I could see what was going on around me. I was in little danger, though, because all the other drivers were doing the same!

Then, when we got home, the road had not been paved. Trying to navigate 5 inches or so of snow in a 1991 compact car as if it were an SUV isn'tun particularly fun! Our apartments had no garage, so naturally this also meant we had to shovel out a parking space. At 9 PM. In subfreezing temperatures. Thank God for a wife who thought of that and had most of it done by the time I plowed up to my apartment through a wall of snow!

Thank God, today the office is closed today due to power outage. Digging the car back out (because it was again buried by a snow plow after we parked it) and then driving back out just wasn't in the cards today.

Snow? Hate everything about it. I intend to move to Las Vegas at the earliest opportunity.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Orzel
2011-01-27, 08:46 AM
If I opened my back door... I'll be hit with an avalanche (door swings in and I haven't shovel there since December). :smallbiggrin:

John Cribati
2011-01-27, 08:50 AM
:furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious:
:furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious:

ALL OF MY HATE!!!

*deep breath*

All classes at my college that start before 10:50 are canceled today. I have a class at 11:30. I commute. I am unable to reach that teacher for comment. FML.

Asta Kask
2011-01-27, 09:00 AM
Oh the weather outside is frightful,
But the fire is so delightful,
And since we've no place to go,
Let It Snow (x3).

It doesn't show signs of stopping,
And I've bought some corn for popping,
The lights are turned way down low,
Let It Snow (x3).

When we finally kiss goodnight,
How I'll hate going out in the storm.
But if you'll really hold me tight,
All the way home I'll be warm.

The fire is slowly dying,
And, my dear, we're still good-bying,
But as long as you love me so,
Let It Snow (x3).

Mauve Shirt
2011-01-27, 09:07 AM
We finally got some snow. The largest amounts have been missing wherever I am since winter began. It's only 5 inches or so, but classes are delayed til 9:30.
Of course, since it's a Thursday I don't have any classes, and even on a regular day my classes don't begin until 11 AM.

Fortuna
2011-01-27, 09:10 AM
I hate all you people who live where you can have enough snow, let alone too much. It's been maybe a year since I saw snow, and much longer since I was in a proper snowfall. HATEHATEHATEHATEHATE.

*ahem*

Pardon me. In all honesty, too much snow is (for me) better than none.

Sir_Chivalry
2011-01-27, 11:54 AM

Builds character, snow does. Up in here in the capital of the second largest country in the world, it gets razor blades up your nose cold as one tv personality puts it. Snow means milder weather at least.

An Enemy Spy
2011-01-27, 05:38 PM
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome Seattle is.

LALALALALALAALALALALALALAAL!!!!

*snowboards down the mountain*

Move to the left coast, we have cookies! And mountains! Real mountains!

yeah baby! Those Appalatians would be foothills over here.

Dr.Epic
2011-01-27, 07:34 PM

ALL OF MY HATE!!!

...ARE BELONG TO US!!!

TDB Lady
2011-01-27, 09:13 PM
We are getting more snow now, this time wet and heavy.

The last couple have been fairly light, fluffy snowfalls. For which I have been very grateful. I hurt my back a couple of weeks ago, we have 180 feet of driveway, and the snowblower is in the shop for a new gasket.

Also as a bummer, my car with the all-wheel drive is in the shop because some idiot ran a stop sign on one of the few days in December with clear, dry roads. :smallfurious: And the shop called today to tell us that the last part they need to finish is on back order - and coming from Germany! So a total of 7 weeks in the shop. :smallfrown: We just bought it in September. And it's supposed to be my car, but my husband drove it for several weeks while his car was getting fixed. Oh, well, at least no one was hurt!

TBD Lady

CrimsonAngel
2011-01-27, 09:14 PM
Give *me* the snow!

Gimliggamer
2011-01-27, 09:15 PM
Yeah......me too.

BeethroBudkin07
2011-01-27, 09:16 PM
I would like to order some snow with a siding of my school closing down. Thanks in advance. :)

thubby
2011-01-27, 09:19 PM
good news fellow snowed in peoples, we're supposed to get more come next week.
i swear, im never going to get to start my spring session :smallfrown:

Dragon queen
2011-01-28, 05:16 PM
The snow is 18 inchs here. 18 INCHS. I have not left the house in 2 weeks.:smalleek:

CoffeeIncluded
2011-01-28, 07:46 PM
Guess what, guys? IT'S SNOWING!!! *Twitch*

Orzel
2011-01-28, 08:07 PM
*yells at clouds*
STOP YOU ACCURSED PUFFS OF HELLICE!!

Not even Christmas can make me like winter now.

druid91
2011-01-28, 08:08 PM

I'm joining Dr Epic's team on this one.

Snow doesn't bother me, It's my driveway that bothers me. Either its a slushy muddy swamp, or a frozen solid brick.

And in the summer? It gets worse.

Snow just means snow clouds, which I love. They block out the hated sun and open sky so perfectly.

Obrysii
2011-01-31, 07:59 AM
Speaking of enough snow, Wisconsin and the whole of the Midwest is about to be hit by a 20+ inch blizzard (or so they say).

Yay.

Asta Kask
2011-01-31, 08:31 AM
Guess what, guys? IT'S SNOWING!!! *Twitch*

You have angered Ithaqua Windwalker! It is clearly time to leave out a sacrifice in the snow.

http://www.foroswebgratis.com/fotos/4/7/8/6/4//153060ithaqua.jpg

Any suggestions? :smallbiggrin:

KerfuffleMach2
2011-01-31, 07:15 PM
Oh the weather outside is frightful,
But the fire is so delightful,
And since we've no place to go,
Let It Snow (x3).

It doesn't show signs of stopping,
And I've bought some corn for popping,
The lights are turned way down low,
Let It Snow (x3).

When we finally kiss goodnight,
How I'll hate going out in the storm.
But if you'll really hold me tight,
All the way home I'll be warm.

The fire is slowly dying,
And, my dear, we're still good-bying,
But as long as you love me so,
Let It Snow (x3).

...I still cannot hear that song and nod think of the Bob Rivers version. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kJ8kE5Kf3g)

Anywho, between today and Wednesday, us people in Southern Michigan are supposed to get a total of 18 inches of snow.

Glad I'm not working Wednesday.

Dr.Epic
2011-01-31, 07:22 PM
No. More Snow! I don't want to go to class on Wednesday!

Temotei
2011-01-31, 07:24 PM
There's never too much snow for me. I prefer the sticky stuff to powdery junk, though. I don't mind the extra effort in brushing off my windows.

Lhurgyof
2011-01-31, 07:48 PM
I really don't want it snow very much, my car doesn't have snow tired and it makes driving a pain in the neck. :smallmad:

It's also cold and wet, which is not fun. :smallfrown:

Traab
2011-01-31, 08:33 PM
I hate all you people who live where you can have enough snow, let alone too much. It's been maybe a year since I saw snow, and much longer since I was in a proper snowfall. HATEHATEHATEHATEHATE.

*ahem*

Pardon me. In all honesty, too much snow is (for me) better than none.

The snow is plowed up in drifts taller than me along the roads. You CANNOT SEE ONCOMING TRAFFIC when you try to turn onto another road. And we are going to get another foot, piled on top of all that mess, THEN when the plows come through itll go even higher! At this rate ill have to stand on top of my car to see out of my driveway! Oh, and the absolute BEST part?! Every time they plow, the road narrows another foot or so. My street has sections where both drivers need to go halfway into snow banks to fit by each other, and now its going to snow again.

KerfuffleMach2
2011-01-31, 09:06 PM
I really don't want it snow very much, my car doesn't have snow tired and it makes driving a pain in the neck. :smallmad:

It's also cold and wet, which is not fun. :smallfrown:

Front or rear wheel drive?

Front's a little better. If rear, keep at least half a tank of gas at all times. It'll add extra weight, which will help.

In fact, sticking some heavy things in the trunk would help, too. Like sandbags. Or weights.

CoffeeIncluded
2011-01-31, 11:53 PM
Guess what? It's supposed to snow AGAIN tomorrow!

Temotei
2011-01-31, 11:56 PM
Guess what? It's supposed to snow AGAIN tomorrow!

Same here. Lots of snow and ice and blizzard-like happenings. :smallbiggrin:

Amiel
2011-01-31, 11:57 PM
You guys are somewhat fortunate in that it's actually cool (well, frigidly speaking) over there. It's like living in an oven turned up to eleven in Australia, it's that hot. I feel for those living in Adelaide though, they reached 43 degrees Celsius yesterday.

John Cribati
2011-02-01, 10:24 PM
I think we pissed off some obscure weather god. A good 1/2 inch of ice is on everything in sight.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-02-01, 11:10 PM
Man. And here in my stretch of Canuckland we only have hardly a foot of snow, and only on lawns and gardens and in parks and stuff, not on the street, not even on the sidewalks or even minor footpaths!

Dr.Epic
2011-02-02, 12:34 AM
Pulling an all nighter to get my work done for a Wednesday morning class. I only have like 2.5 more hours. I hear the rain outside and am hoping it means icy roads and no school.

Orzel
2011-02-02, 07:15 AM
Now it is FREEZING RAIN!

The whole ground and road is under a sheet of slippery ice. Hooray. :smallfrown:
Let's see If I can get to work without hurting myself in a fall.

I officially hate winter again. Someone get my room ready in the asylum. I hear Arkham is nice this time of year.

Dr.Epic
2011-02-02, 07:24 AM
Now it is FREEZING RAIN!

Better than fire rain.

Orzel
2011-02-02, 07:42 AM
Better than fire rain.

Nah, I can handle that.
Just got my fire resist armor out the cleaners.

CoffeeIncluded
2011-02-02, 08:14 AM
Yep, icy rain and everything. :smallmad:

John Cribati
2011-02-02, 09:11 AM
That's it. At first opportunity, I'm moving back to Jamaica, returning only during August.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-02-02, 10:34 AM
Meh, hardly even a foot of snow last night. Still, schools closed. :smallbiggrin:

Cealocanth
2011-02-02, 10:48 AM
Over here in Colorado it's snowed the past three days. I'm just lucky that the sun has been melting it all beforehand. Oh yeah, it's also been in the negatives for the past two days and doesn't seem to be planning to stop. Funny thing, most kids in other states know that sun=warm. Well we've been getting our usual 350 days of sunlight and it still manages to be below 0 degrees Fahrenheit.

Imagine my surprise last night when my outdoor freezer felt significantly warmer than the air around it. I believe it was actually warming the foods, making sure it stayed about 20 degrees while the air around it was about -20.

So yeah, I'm just about finished with Winter.

Lhurgyof
2011-02-02, 11:55 AM
Yep, a lot of snow, and no school today. At least it let me sleep in. You escape my ire this time, snow. :smalltongue:

Geno9999
2011-02-02, 12:00 PM
I had to shovel the stuff yesterday, and let me tell you, it was not snow. No, it was ice disguised as snow.:smallmad:
At least school's called off due to the "snowpocalyse" weather.

Dr.Epic
2011-02-02, 12:25 PM
Had class today, but it went far better than I expected so meh.

Traab
2011-02-02, 01:13 PM
Im so glad im out of school. Those poor kids will be going to class until july at this rate.

TDB Lady
2011-02-02, 09:55 PM
Yech! We have 1 1/2 inches of 'wintry mix', basically solid sheet of white ice. We got freezing rain, sleet, freezing rain, sleet, snow, sleet, and more freezing rain. It has solidified into something that has turned all surfaces into a hockey rink. :smallyuk:

They have the streets passable today, so my husband went in, but the schools are closed, and will be tomorrow for the third day in a row. So I'm off work - no schools means no buses.

I spent 4 1/2 hours yesterday trying to chisel ice off the drive and made it about 45 feet down my 200 foot long driveway. Now my arms are sore, and the area I worked on has half the ice the rest of the drive does.

My poor dog (elderly chocolate lab, arthritis and a torn ACL) has fallen 2 or 3 times every time I take him out because EVERYTHING is frozen and I can't even break up a place for him to get out on the yard very well.

I want spring!!!!!

TDB Lady

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-02-03, 04:37 PM
Yeah, we only got, like, 5 inches of snow from that storm, and another inch since then. Sooooft. I was expecting better.

KerfuffleMach2
2011-02-03, 06:13 PM
Funny thing, most kids in other states know that sun=warm. Well we've been getting our usual 350 days of sunlight and it still manages to be below 0 degrees Fahrenheit.

Oh, we get that all the time. In fact, today it was about 13 degrees, but sunny the whole day.

Also, anybody not in Chicago probably shouldn't complain too much. They got a crapload of snow.