PDA

View Full Version : Spellblast / Eldritch Spellweave - Show me some awesome combos!

Yorae
2011-01-26, 03:41 PM
I have a character who will have these abilities that involve combining spells and eldritch blasts (from Eldritch Theurge, Complete Mage) and I was hoping to find some cool or powerful combinations to use with them.

Spellblast - Place an arcane spell with an area (cone, cylinder, etc.) on an eldritch blast. Spell affects an area wherever you hit with the blast. Works even if the original spell could only be centered on the caster. Cast time of spell must be standard action or less. (Eldritch Essence)

Eldritch Spellweave - Apply an eldritch essence to a spell that affects a target or requires a melee or ranged touch attack. The essence must be equal to or less than the level of the spell (so you can't, for example, apply Utterdark Blast to Acid Splash). (3 + Cha mod uses / day)

Greatreach Blast - Apply a spell with a range of touch to an eldritch blast. The first creature struck by the blast is affected by the spell as if touched. Cast time of spell must be standard action or less. (Eldritch Essence)

Assume this character has access to the full Cleric spell list, the Abjuration, Divination, and Necromancy schools from the Sorcerer/Wizard spell lists (via Divine Magician), and Anyspell/Greater Anyspell from the Spell domain (though only once each / day, barring Extra Domain Spell). He has the Alternate Spell Source feat, so he can cast Divine spells as Arcane and vice versa (so he could, e.g., spellblast with a Cleric spell). He also has uses of Turn Undead available to spend on whatever Divine feats that might be suggested.
I know there has to be potential to do some awesome things with this, but I'm not sure what I'll be capable of pulling off with this. Suggestions for which combinations of spells, eldritch essences, blast shapes, and feats I can use to maximize the utility/power of these abilities?

Psyren
2011-01-26, 06:41 PM
Assume this character has access to the full Cleric spell list, the Abjuration, Divination, and Necromancy schools from the Sorcerer/Wizard spell lists (via Divine Magician), and Anyspell/Greater Anyspell from the Spell domain (though only once each / day, barring Extra Domain Spell). He has the Alternate Spell Source feat, so he can cast Divine spells as Arcane and vice versa (so he could, e.g., spellblast with a Cleric spell). He also has uses of Turn Undead available to spend on whatever Divine feats that might be suggested.

I think you're confusing Eldritch Theurge (the arcane one) and Eldritch Disciple (the divine one.) ET is the one that gets Spellblast, Greatreach and Spellweave - it can already cast arcane spells, so you don't need Alternate Source Spell/Divine Magician/Anyspell etc.

As for combos:

- Greatreach is mainly just free Reach Spell that deals damage. Put on any good touch spell that you want to use from afar, like Shivering Touch; the damage is icing on the cake, since the main use you want for this is to toss touch spells from 60 ft. away.

- A great Essence to use with Spellweave is Vitriolic - letting your touch spells and rays bypass SR. It deals damage, however, so it will only work with spells that also deal damage, and the spell you use it with must be at least 6th-level.

- Spellblast is great with "nova"-type spells, that center on the caster and blast outwards. Normally these spells are balanced by you needing to be in the thick of things, but with this you can toss them from afar and wreak havoc on the enemy without putting yourself in danger. Core is a bit light on goodies for this, but SpC can give you interesting combinations like Forcewave and Unbinding.

Yorae
2011-01-26, 06:58 PM
I'm not confusing it -- my build is unusual to say the least.

I thought using divine spells with those things might open up some interesting opportunities that wouldn't otherwise come up.

Psyren
2011-01-26, 07:41 PM
I'm not confusing it -- my build is unusual to say the least.

Ah, you must be the guy that was using divine magician to qualify for both ET and ED.

...my issue with that plan isn't the qualification - just that you don't have an "arcane spellcasting class" to advance with ET. You'd get the class features from ET and your Warlock side (invocations/EB) would advance, but your casting progression would stop when ED does. Using Divine Magician to qualify for both sides of an arcane/divine theurge is shaky ground to begin with, but getting more cleric spells out of a class that only advances arcane/invocation would be crossing the line.

Having said that, there are some nice low- to mid-level divine spells you could use with Spellblast, like Castigate.

Yorae
2011-01-26, 08:14 PM
Ah, you must be the guy that was using divine magician to qualify for both ET and ED.

...my issue with that plan isn't the qualification - just that you don't have an "arcane spellcasting class" to advance with ET. You'd get the class features from ET and your Warlock side (invocations/EB) would advance, but your casting progression would stop when ED does. Using Divine Magician to qualify for both sides of an arcane/divine theurge is shaky ground to begin with, but getting more cleric spells out of a class that only advances arcane/invocation would be crossing the line.

Having said that, there are some nice low- to mid-level divine spells you could use with Spellblast, like Castigate.

Yeah, I'll change the build if I need to; the purpose of this thread is just to see what neat tricks you can pull using divine spells for things like Spellblast, etc., since it isn't something that typically happens.

Keld Denar
2011-01-26, 08:20 PM
Energy Vortex is a 4th level PB AoE, normally crappy. If you could use it at a distance, it would be kinda fun. Especially the overload setting...

Yorae
2011-01-26, 08:40 PM
Energy Vortex is a 4th level PB AoE, normally crappy. If you could use it at a distance, it would be kinda fun. Especially the overload setting...

Why do instantly think of a phaser from Star Trek? =p
Good find! The double damage version isn't bad and the ability to pick your damage type is nice.