PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for a Football Tabletop.

Aemoh87
2011-01-26, 03:59 PM
The Game is essentially three area's the game is played.

The table top: shows the players you have on the field. They do not need to move around or any of that. Merely just a visual reference. Also there is a mechanic for keeping track of where you are on the field as well as the "time" left on the clock. Both are simple sliders.

The Team: consists of staffing (which gives minor bonuses) and a organized (not randomized) deck of plays they may choose. This also includes their bench players.

The Strategy Deck: consists of randomized cards that the player draws to give them access to unique strategies as well as bonuses. Also an additional source of mayhem in the game.

The overall success of individual plays will be determined by a dice roll with various modifiers on it. I am looking to add greater elements of strategy as well to the game, but it will take time. I am working towards beta, but if anyone has any fun ideas or mechanics they would share with me go for it!

Bagelz
2011-01-26, 04:18 PM
are you thinking of using opposed rolls, or just offense roll vs defense stat? (a separate passing stat vs rushing stat?)

results by difference between rolls (ex standard short pass is a gain of 1d10 + the difference between rolls, standard rushing play is 2 yards +- the difference between rolls)
or result by play (a hail mary is is a gain of 1d20+10, or a loss of 8, an up the middle is gain of 3 or loss of 1, ect)?

defense should be more like states, or stances instead of plays. For example, goal line gives +2 vs short plays, prevent gives -2 penalty but reduces all dice size by 2 on result (1d10 becomes 1d6).

law of averages should be slight advantage to offense by ~2 yards per play

biggest thing is going to be statting out your play deck.

Aemoh87
2011-01-26, 04:22 PM
Well to give you the basic mechanic you lay out your team. Then in secret the offense and the defense picks a play that fits their personal out there (this allows for different packages on offense and defense). Each play will target some key players who make "ability" rolls to see how they influence the play. This could include key blocks by a lineman, a press by a corner back, or even a quarterbacks ability to read the defense. These rolls are opposed. The results of those influence a final "success" check which determines how successful the play was.

Aemoh87
2011-01-26, 04:25 PM
Also one thing I would like to stay with is a small numbers system. I am keeping player ability scores between 1 and 10. To keep math easy.