PDA

View Full Version : dungeon master payback

crazywolf
2011-01-26, 04:43 PM
ok, my players have a major issue the cleric and the paladin players love to text i told them not to text but they wont stop, the same players always question the rules the clerics player mostly how do i get there attention? i want to do this in game so they know that i'm serious
i'm all for merrymaking but i just dont want them distracting me and the others
they are low level so i dont wanna out right kill them but how do i give them a proper warning?

KillianHawkeye
2011-01-26, 04:45 PM
If they are texting during combat, just skip their turns. Don't even ask them, just skip on to someone who's paying attention. They'll figure it out soon enough.

ThirdEmperor
2011-01-26, 04:46 PM
Explain to them that they must stop texting during the game? I had the same problem with a player who always played DS games and ignored everything. After I told him stop playing the DS during gaming sessions or leave, he stopped. And was kicked out later for something entirely different.

pffh
2011-01-26, 04:48 PM
Start sending them dirty text messages when you see them do it.

A more serious suggestion would be what my group did when one of my players couldn't stop texting his new girlfriend. We stopped everything and just stared at him until he put away his phone, every single time he tried sending a text.

Xefas
2011-01-26, 04:49 PM
Do not try to solve problems outside the game with retribution inside the game.

Solve problems outside the game outside the game.

ThirdEmperor
2011-01-26, 04:50 PM

This. Very much this.

And this.:smalltongue:

Drynwyn
2011-01-26, 04:50 PM
Use the skipping idea, but makemthe characters flat-footed and just standing around. Then, have the monsters attack them.

Amnestic
2011-01-26, 04:54 PM

^^^
This.

Then tell us what you sent them and their reaction.

Sipex
2011-01-26, 04:54 PM
If you use the skip option, tell them in advance. Say "I'm sick of you guys texting in game, if you miss something then you miss it. Your turn passes by? Too bad.".

If it works out how mine worked out they'll pay attention at first then start to get back in the habit until you're forced to enforce this new rule (and you HAVE to enforce it).

Then they're very good about it.

Kaww
2011-01-26, 04:58 PM
@ pffh: I really like your avatar! Is there an image of Albert frying a pudding?

EDIT: It looked better black and white...

@ OP:

If they are texting during combat, just skip their turns. Don't even ask them, just skip on to someone who's paying attention. They'll figure it out soon enough.

I'm sorry to say that I used this. I'm even more sorry to say that it worked like a charm.

pffh
2011-01-26, 05:04 PM
@ pffh: I really like your avatar! Is there an image of Albert frying a pudding?

EDIT: It looked better black and white...

Thank you and reload the page it randomly switches from black and white to coloured.

Katana_Geldar
2011-01-26, 05:14 PM
People don't have a "don't use your phone during the game unless it's an emergency" rule?

Kids these days...

AslanCross
2011-01-26, 05:58 PM

Amen. I suggest collecting cellphones before the game begins.

Katana_Geldar
2011-01-26, 06:00 PM
Having no cell phones during game time can mean that you can allow them during breaks. But they need to be on silent during game time.

Pisha
2011-01-26, 06:15 PM
Aww, but with no cell phones allowed at game, how will I secretly tell the GM that I'm screwing over the party doing something on the side?

Some distractions are inevitable, but if they're seriously holding the game up AND you've tried talking to them about it out of game, then yeah - let them know if something comes up and they're too distracted to pay attention to it, that you're going to skip them. Then stick to it. They'll be mad at first, but they'll either shape up or get too mad and leave - and if they can't be bothered to pay attention to the game, your group may be better without them.

mobdrazhar
2011-01-26, 06:21 PM

this is what i've done.... i only leave their phone with them if they let me know that they are keeping an ear out for an emergency call.

Aidan305
2011-01-26, 06:47 PM
You say that the players are always questioning the rules. Thing is, players should rarely have the opportunity to question the rules. Generally, unless you are telling them exactly what it is that you are doing in any particular circumstance, the players shouldn't be able to question you on what's happening.

Other times, however, players questioning the rules are genuinely correct and while it is annoying for them to interrupt the game, in these situations it is only fair for them to do so. D&D is a complicated game in any edition, and sometimes an incorrect interpretation of the rules can literally mean life or death for a PC.

However, I suggest instituting a new rule that, unless the problem is making circumstances difficult for the player, rather than simply an extra +1, or +2 bonus, the question regarding the rules can be left until the end of the game.

AslanCross
2011-01-26, 06:47 PM
this is what i've done.... i only leave their phone with them if they let me know that they are keeping an ear out for an emergency call.

Yeah, emergency calls are of course important. Since most of my players were minors who needed to ask their parents to pick them up, I usually left their phones with them. It hasn't really been a problem.

As for collecting them, maybe instead of keeping them hidden, my students often put their cellphones alongside each other on a shelf or table away from their work area when they need to focus on group work. That might be a good way to go about it during game days.

Chilingsworth
2011-01-26, 09:47 PM
People don't have a "don't use your phone during the game unless it's an emergency" rule?

Kids these days...

Definately should have this rule, imo. Only "routine" exception I can think of would be for medical personel on call and the like.

EDIT: Note I said "routine." Emergency calls would be an exception. By definition, no emergency should be routine. If someone has emergencies routinely, then maybe they should be doing something about it, rather than playing a game/interrupting other people playing said game.

Volos
2011-01-26, 10:27 PM
How did this even become an issue of contention? You're the DM. When you start the game or campaign, you set down ground rules. Now I will admit some rules are obvious, but with certian types of players you need to make the rules more specific. Not punching people in the face may seem like an odd rule, but if you have a guy who does this you need to tell him to stop. Same goes for the texting. I personally tell my players that their phones are to on vibrate and that they are not to text anyone. If it is so important that is must interrupt the game (emergencies and the like) then they can take care of it by stepping outside, not by bothering everyone's time for fun.

crazywolf
2011-01-27, 05:45 AM

look i tried that they dont listion thats why i'm solving it in game becasue its distracting to me and the others

crazywolf
2011-01-27, 05:46 AM

i tried that too they wont give them up

crazywolf
2011-01-27, 05:49 AM
How did this even become an issue of contention? You're the DM. When you start the game or campaign, you set down ground rules. Now I will admit some rules are obvious, but with certian types of players you need to make the rules more specific. Not punching people in the face may seem like an odd rule, but if you have a guy who does this you need to tell him to stop. Same goes for the texting. I personally tell my players that their phones are to on vibrate and that they are not to text anyone. If it is so important that is must interrupt the game (emergencies and the like) then they can take care of it by stepping outside, not by bothering everyone's time for fun.

yes i understand i set the rules but they are too pig headed to listion they keep saying that they wont text but i keep catching them so i'm going to solve it in the most effective way i can think

rakkoon
2011-01-27, 05:49 AM
If they won't let their cell phones be and you cannot get them to leave them on a shelf, the I'll skip you if you aren't paying attention approach might work. Just make sure they know about this beforehand.

Ernir
2011-01-27, 06:02 AM
look i tried that they dont listion thats why i'm solving it in game becasue its distracting to me and the others
You can't solve it in-game. It's like trying to hammer in a screw.

Kalim
2011-01-27, 06:10 AM
If they're not willing to respect your rules and wishes, don't invite them back to play.

FelixG
2011-01-27, 06:11 AM
Use the skip their turn and make them flat footed in game.

Warn them at the outset of the session that "Hey, if you cant leave your cellphone alone and dont pay attention you WILL be skipped and your character WILL be flat footed."

When they start getting smacked more and missing their own opportunities to react, they will figure it out or die.

kamikasei
2011-01-27, 06:21 AM
If they're not willing to respect your rules and wishes, don't invite them back to play.
It's not even about "rules or wishes" IMO - they're unwilling to respect the OP and the other players, full stop. Their behaviour is just rude, like coming over for a movie night and spending the whole time chatting away on your phone, and therefore the entirely fair and proportionate response in my view would be to remove their skin with a vegetable peeler and boil them in oil (I'll grant that this may be more of a peeve for me than for most people). Worse than that, they're not just damaging others' enjoyment by distracting them, but since the game is an active thing rather than a passive entertainment like a movie, they're further worsening it for others by not paying attention themselves.

I'd give them a little more of a chance by doing as many have suggested and skipping their turn if they're distracting themselves when it rolls around. If they don't shape up within at most two sessions I'd drop them.

Ravens_cry
2011-01-27, 06:22 AM
This is an out of character issue and use of in-character solutions is more then a little, well, petty, in my opinion. If you meet these people outside the game, inform them of your displeasure, tell them that all devices of such natures are to be turned off or on vibrate, and are not to be used at the table. If you don't, do the same before the next game session.

Acanous
2011-01-27, 06:48 AM
drastic but funny solution;
You can buy cell phone blockers on ebay or at certain local specialty stores.
If you've got the extra cash, set one up next session. Heck, see if you can arange to rent one :p

Plug it in before anyone gets there for session, and then watch the looks of confusion as they get error messages and 0 bars of reception in your house.

Then if they want to text, they actively have to go outside, at which point you can very easilly say "They aren't here, we're skipping their turn".

FelixG
2011-01-27, 06:51 AM
drastic but funny solution;
You can buy cell phone blockers on ebay or at certain local specialty stores.
If you've got the extra cash, set one up next session. Heck, see if you can arange to rent one :p

Plug it in before anyone gets there for session, and then watch the looks of confusion as they get error messages and 0 bars of reception in your house.

Then if they want to text, they actively have to go outside, at which point you can very easilly say "They aren't here, we're skipping their turn".

I admit this would be funny, but then if there is an emergency no one could get calls or call out. Also you would have to be very careful of the range, if it effects neighbors you could be looking at issues.

I had THAT problem with my lawnmower where it was blocking CB radios and a person threatened me with legal action. (I use a robot lawn mower :smallbiggrin: )