PDA

View Full Version : Together We Ride (Group 2) IC

Fable Wright
2011-01-26, 05:32 PM
OOC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184909)

Negotiators Needed
Situated in a dangerous area.
Skill in diplomatic relations a plus.
For those interested,
go to 39 Lancel Road.
Named adventuring groups only.

You all saw the letter on the door, and noticed all of the little incongruities. You didn't care, or were perhaps intrigued by them. You took the flier before anyone else could, and got together with a group of companions, and a couple of people you met at the bar that you thought could help you. Some seasoned adventurers turned down the offer, claiming that all it would bring was bad news. Eventually, you found this group of 6, and after getting to know each other and resting for the night, you headed off to 39 Lancel Road. As you turn the corner, much to your lack of surprise, it was in the poor district. Most of the houses here are made of mud and straw, with a little bit of stone grafted onto the houses of the less destitute. As you walk down the lane, you see dirty children playing in the dirt road, screaming and laughing, and moving out of the way as a wagon trundles by. They seem to ignore you for the most part, but some of them stop and whisper to each other for a few moments while you pass, before going back to their games. As you go to the end of the row and turn to the last house on the lane, you see what amounts to little more than a tepee of mud and sticks. As you push past the tree-bark door, in the middle of the room you see... well, a well-varnished mahogany table, a tree-bark floor that is somehow spotless, white-washed walls and a well-dressed handsome man in his mid to late 20s leaning back in a gilded chair with velvet cushions smiling at you from behind the desk. He has slightly curled brown hair and piercing blue eyes, and his uniform is white with gold trim. He smiles at you, revealing gleaming white teeth, and you suddenly recognize him as Sir Baroreich, the earl of this part of the countryside. He says, in a well-clipped voice, Hello. I trust that you found my flier? I hope it wasn't too obvious that I wrote the letter. But where are my manners? Come, sit down. he says, gesturing at some beautiful teak chairs just in front of the desk. Now, how may I address all of you?

Lix Lorn
2011-01-26, 05:35 PM
"My name is Emily." smiles Emily. Her Wyvern, Dosuka, is hiding somewhere nearby.

Turalisj
2011-01-26, 05:39 PM
"I am Athad." the grey elf said, taking a seat in one of the chairs and setting down a rather weather worn backpack. He wore fine black robes with little in the way of jewelry except a necklace with a ruby the size of a human child's fist. "I understand you needed negotiators, correct?"

Goldfly
2011-01-26, 05:59 PM
Ruana lowers herself into one of the chairs sitting in front of the desk, watching the earl carefully. After Athad and Emily introduce themselves, she begins to speak. "I am Ruana Addison. May I ask, sir, what the earl is doing in this area? I'm surprised that you would be willing to be found in such a place."

DrakeRaids
2011-01-26, 09:37 PM
Jerch followed his allies in, adamant chains rattling around him as he settled down into a chair. He was not an imposing man, or handsome for that matter, as a long whipcord scar ran across his to the other side of his face, barely missing his eyes. Small waves of light sparked as he settled down, giving their potential employer a level look, as if weighing the man. Jerch didn't like him, he decided as his gray cloak settled about him. Not that it was much of a surprise, the mercenary hardly liked anyone.

"Name's Jerch." His voice came out rough, a touch of a rasp in what was once a pleasant baritone, his dark eyes darting away from the man at last, taking a closer look at his surroundings.

balistafreak
2011-01-28, 11:39 AM
Kyr

Today, Kyr was his usual self. Dressed in fine silks, his boots sounded almost like bells on the cobbles of the street. Even when the street turned to dirt and mud, his very step seemed to jangle, triumphantly announcing to all nearby that a certain somebody was coming through.

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i402/balistafreak/MaleHumanAristocrat.jpg

All in all, it was obnoxious to the point of wanting to punch him.

When they entered the tent, a chuckle floated to his mouth. Trust that the Earl would insist on such luxury. As he sat down in the offered chair - carefully, there were bits on his armor that might be a little pointier than polite - he nodded in acknowledgment of the Earl's failing. "Yeah, your flier was a bit obvious. You're the only one with the money to hire a named group, and you're also the most likely one to have an interest in... 'diplomatic relations in dangerous area', was that how you put it?" he smiled. "You'll excuse us for taking down the flier when we found it. I guarantee that we'll be all you need."

With a winning smile, he winked at the Earl. "Name's Kyr. 'Keer', not 'K-eye-er'," he qualified. "Arcane Artists, at your service." He finished with a half-bow from his seat.

Cadian 9th
2011-01-29, 10:35 PM
Tanis

In contrast to the arcanists entrance, Tanis enters with a shining, glorious presence, elaborate breastplate emblazzoned with a dragon's visage. His sword by his side, he salutes the Earl in a way befitting a Cavalry war leader.

Handsome (Of course), Tall, And lithe, with fair hair and medals of gratitude, he cuts a striking figure. He embodies the charisma of dragons, a mark of silver upon his brow.

" I am Tanis, Rider and Poet of War. " He says.

Fable Wright
2011-01-29, 11:25 PM
Smiling a polite smile the whole time, Sir Baroreich accepts the group's introductions as a whole, though his stare turns icy as it passes over "Keer". Nodding back to Tanis, he turns and says to Kyr, Oh? Would that be obvious before or after you saw my face? For, your arguments could be applied if it were the head of the baker's guild sitting before you, asking for help facilitating a new trade route through Ursaland. And, to my understanding, it is common practice amongst adventurers to take down fliers, to prevent others from taking their job while they gather gear and new recruits. It is often wise to consider your words before using them. Still smiling, he turns to Ruana. Indeed, and that is exactly why I chose to come here. I wanted to find a group of adventurers who would take the job regardless of who offered it, who wanted to help even if there was no listed reward for their troubles. I hope that I have found such a group. Leaning back in his chair and facing the party as a whole, he says, I'm sure you're wondering why I called for negotiators. The fact is, as I'm sure you're aware, the Gulkat menace is quite pervasive, and is easily eating up our territory on the war front, and we are powerless to stop them. We never get any reported sightings of their troop members from our scouts, and the only people who may claim to have seen them do not seem able to relate their answers, given that the bodies of soldiers who have fought them do not appear in their wake. Such is the case with Agrivona, as well. Neither side we have ever seen, and yet we know are there because of their impact. Settlers are never seen again, and explorers come out lacking any evidence of civilization. It is quite possible that the Agrivonians and the Gulkat are one and the same, or that the Gulkat may be a state derived of the Agrivonian homeland. What I request from you is merely information about Agrivona; I would greatly appreciate, and reward, any information about them that you can muster. If you can bring me back evidence of them working with the Gulkat, your reward may be so great that you join the hierarchy of the state. Do you agree to such terms?

Turalisj
2011-01-31, 06:19 PM
"Mmm... It sounds to me, m'lord, that you have just the people you are looking for." Athad said, rubbing the large ruby the hung as his neck. It seemed to almost vibrate as he did, like a pet getting it's belly rubbed. "I wont go into too much detail of my own abilities, but suffice to say that I am a fairly skilled telepath."

Cadian 9th
2011-01-31, 06:35 PM
Tanis

" Of course. I swear it. " Tanis says. " However, Lord, I would like to be appointed to your army on my return instead of gold, so I can join the battles and lead the men to victory. "

Win win for him, he doesn't have to pay me and I'm volunteering for the army.

balistafreak
2011-01-31, 08:46 PM
Kyr

Crossing his arms, the changeling only smiles enigmatically. "Eh, no harm in guessing. Of all the elephants in the room, the Gulkat/Agrivona issue is the biggest."

He gives Tanis a sidelong glance. "You'll forgive me if I refuse position in your army. I'd just like to do something useful with my life. Like this, for instance," he says, eyebrows waggling curiously. They actually grow a few millimeters in length for effect while he does so, if anyone watches his face closely enough.

Goldfly
2011-01-31, 09:13 PM
Ruana smiles back at Sir Baroreich. "Well, you've found what you're looking for. I, at least, will be glad to help, free of charge. After what happened to my family..."She looks down, and shakes her head."You've found someone who believes in your cause."

Fable Wright
2011-02-01, 09:49 PM
Sir Baroreich grins. Indeed, you do seem like the people I'm looking for. And now I say good day to you. He gathers some papers from underneath the desk and begins writing on them, waving you away with his spare hand.

Goldfly
2011-02-02, 07:03 PM
Ruana stands, nods at Sir Baroreich, and leaves the tent.

balistafreak
2011-02-02, 08:11 PM
Kyr

Following Ruana, the changeling moves outside as well. "Well... that's reaaaaal specific," he chuckles. In a bit of whimsy, he changes his face - just his face - into the Earl's. "I'm Sir Baroreich, and I don't want any political activity to be able to be traced back to me," he says. His imitation is almost unreal - obviously a skill he's practiced. The only problem is that his clothes are decidedly un-noblelike.

As he shifts back, he takes a look around the poor district. "Hmf. Well, shall we make our final arrangements to leave? I smell fortune on the wind, and I want to catch it as fast as possible," he says with a grin.

Fable Wright
2011-02-05, 08:40 PM
As you pack up and set out towards Agrivona, you feel a looming sense of something big. Possibly destiny. Possibly death. All you know is that a force, immense and inexorable, is following you. As you set out on the road, you feel like a force is pushing at your back, making it feel like it would be difficult to go back. And, after 2 or three days of travel and looming anxiety on the soft dirt roads of Thilis, you see the Fangmaw peaks, giant mountains of impossible height, impossibly thin, and impossibly ominous, the entry to Agrivona. As you enter, the place feels eerily silent. Silent as the grave. No birds, no scurrying... just the long, piercing echo of the rocks beneath your feet scattering under your weight.The peaks tower above you, a distant and threatening force, steep and piercing, trapping you, keeping you into one place, looming like giants, staring at you, as if they were spectators to some silent event. Sharp rocks are scattered around, hurting your feet as you walk, and stalagmites pierce out from the ground at odd, scattered angles, pointing every which way, sharp and ominous, like a set of misshapen teeth. No one makes a sound as you step into the place, a repressive air, nothing you can hear against the deafening silence but your uncomfortably loud breath. As you travel through the land, you see nothing. Just the huge emptiness in this enclosed realm. You wand something, anything to happen, to alleviate the silence, to let you know that you are there, but you are afraid to yourself, as the silence glares at you, ominous, implacable, and omniscient.

balistafreak
2011-02-06, 09:04 AM
Kyr

The changeling, still in "polite company", as he prefers to call it, still hasn't shifted from his original form. To say that his attitude remains the same however, would be false.

The atmosphere seems to be taking a toll on him in particular - the lack of constant passerby and other people like there always were in the city, the only living beings in the desolate landscape the six of them - well, eight, if you included the two mounts.

At some point the changeling simply turns to the sky and groans, rubbing his face with a hand. "Oh, gods, all this rock and silence is killing me. You know, let's do something fun for a change! This seems like it's going to be a long hike... we need something to pass the time." His face suddenly brightens up as an idea strikes it like a meteor. "I've got it! Let's tell stories of ourselves! The trip there's going to be long, so let's tell two each going there, and two on the way back - well, no," he suddenly stops, as if realizing something. "That feels... contrived. And like we'll never ever finish. Let's just tell them as they come, eh?"

He claps his hands, and points. "You there! Yes, you! What's your story? How'd you get into the adventuring business, eh?"

Goldfly
2011-02-08, 08:12 PM
Ruana jumps as Kyr points at her, and stumbles on a rock as she hits the ground. "M-me?" She shakes her head as she remembers how she got into adventuring.

"Well, several months ago, my city was attacked by the Gulkans... At least, I think it was the Gulkans. I was visiting my cousin, Ilrid, in a neighboring town, When... they came.

From what I heard, the attackers descended on the town quickly, and quietly. There were very few survivors, and those that did survive didn't stand much of a chance; they were surviving on nothing but will power- their wounds were far too infected by the time I got back. My parents, my neighbors, my schoolmates... they were all gone.

With so much of my family gone, with no where to run... I went to something I knew how to do. I had some knowledge with a sword, and soulmelding always came naturally to me... . I decided I wanted to make sure this didn't happen to anyone else- that no other children would lose everyone they knew."

Ruana looks straight at Kyr. "Now, you know how a sixteen year old girl became an adventurer." She slants her head to the side, looking at him curiously. "How did you get into adventuring, Kyr?"

Turalisj
2011-02-08, 08:26 PM
"He was likely born into adventure." Athad said, grabbing Ruana's arm to balance her. "You do know how a changeling is created, yes? They are half-breeds. One parent is a doppleganger. The other, in most cases the mother, is generally human. Now, I'm not sure about you, but most humans I have met prefer not to have a child that can change it's outer appearance at will."

balistafreak
2011-02-08, 09:33 PM
Kyr

At the question, the changeling claps his hands in delight - the shield on his arm flaps around awkwardly, but not to a terrible extent. "Oh, Athad, birth has nothing to do with it. I mean, yeah, I didn't really have any parents, but dang, the freedom! The freedom!"

He hops forward a distance from the party, clapping his hands before spinning around, taking a bow, then cranking his head back up so that he can still watch and talk to them, coattails flying every which-way. "Imagine the freedom to do anything you want. Be anyone you want. Why settle for standing by the sidelines when you can change identities whenever you want, shed all the trappings of your old life and take on a new mantle, a new heroic tale? No one recalls the past glories of someone who was a hero, once, but everyone remembers that mysterious man - or woman," he says, his face suddenly shifting into Ruana's for a second, a creepy sight given his still-male body.

As he shifts back to normal, he spins back forward, letting them catch up to him. "There's a certain applause, a certain adulation that an unknown hero gets, that someone known doesn't. It's... a wonderful sound. And I may not have fame, but I don't need it. Their thanks is enough... knowing I've done things to deserve that thanks is enough." As they catch up, they actually overtake him, and he has this dumb expression on his face, staring upwards towards the sky. For a second, silhouetted against the desolate landscape, he looks like something out of a tale... and then he coughs, looks embarrassed, and hops back into the group, his monologue on hold for now.

Lix Lorn
2011-02-09, 04:35 AM
Emily will give a quiet giggle at the changelings dramatic monologue. It's the kind of silliness that appeals to her.
She will then pet her wyvern softly as they walk, and quietly hope they don't ask her, knowing that the laws of drama dictate that someone ask...

balistafreak
2011-02-09, 09:36 AM
Kyr

Right on cue, the changeling suddenly half-tackles, half-back-pats Emily in a surge of movement. "Let's keep it going! Now you, milady Emily!" he chirps, his voice singing out in near-melodic tones. "You don't have to tell a huge story, ya know. Just a little something about your reasons! Money? The thrills?" Suddenly, his - or her? well, in any case, Kyr was male for now - leans in close, whispering into the wyvern rider's ear. "The company?"

Even as the last "ee" sound leaves his lips, he's already slipping away in an attempt to escape whatever wrath he might be targeted with, chuckles burbling over his lips like the classic babbling brook.

Lix Lorn
2011-02-09, 12:06 PM
"Uh. I. Uhm." she says all in a rush, going slightly red from blushing at the last implication. "The... the... adven...ture?" she claims, not bluffing very well.

balistafreak
2011-02-09, 12:46 PM
Kyr

Obviously unconvinced, the changeling spins his path back towards the party, and back in front of the now-harried girl, giving her wyvern an impish wink before giving its rider a short stab of a poke in the chest. "Nope. Not convinced. Spit it out, mate! You've got something interesting I wanna hear!" His expression twists, and looks near childlike in its disappointment.

Lix Lorn
2011-02-09, 12:48 PM
"I come from Agrivonia." she murmurs.

Cadian 9th
2011-02-10, 01:16 AM
Tanis

The man had been relatively quiet for a while, with his lance against his shoulder and shield upon his left. His armor shines.

" Give the lady some space, Kyr, " He says, jovially. " I must admit the freedom of your life appeals to me, Kyr, to be able to go any path you choose, eluding those attempts to pin you down with change every day! " He says. He makes gestures as he speaks, as if he is speaking of some grand topic.

Bardic Knowledge check. About... Huh, foreboding feelings on the road here.

[roll0]

And, spot [roll1] and listen [roll2]

balistafreak
2011-02-10, 08:55 AM
Kyr

Suddenly cocking his head to the side, the changeling's eyes widen. "Give the lady space - no, no, no, not when there's such interesting news!" This being said, he suddenly jumps backwards anyways, cackling in delight. "Agrivona. Agrivona! She hails from Agrivona! Okay, okay," he says, seeming to calm down, "yes, your wyvern there kind of gave it away, but still - there's basically no news from those lands, and to have one from there traveling with us... please, you must say more! More, I say! Is it true that you live in the clouds? And that you all have undead servants?"

Lix Lorn
2011-02-10, 09:16 AM
Kyr

Suddenly cocking his head to the side, the changeling's eyes widen. "Give the lady space - no, no, no, not when there's such interesting news!" This being said, he suddenly jumps backwards anyways, cackling in delight. "Agrivona. Agrivona! She hails from Agrivona! Okay, okay," he says, seeming to calm down, "yes, your wyvern there kind of gave it away, but still - there's basically no news from those lands, and to have one from there traveling with us... please, you must say more! More, I say! Is it true that you live in the clouds? And that you all have undead servants?"
"Um. Not all of us?" she says, completely wrong-footed by his rapid speaking.

balistafreak
2011-02-10, 10:31 AM
Kyr

The changeling's face turns grosteque - zombie-like, one might say - as he falls into step beside Emily. Well, not step; more like a undead's shuffling walk. "Ah, of course not all, but then the majority, yes?" His clear voice is at distinct odds with his appearance. If only he could paint his coat with a bit of blood, he would complete the image so very nicely.

Lix Lorn
2011-02-10, 10:38 AM
"Uhm..." she says, edging away from him.

Turalisj
2011-02-10, 10:43 AM
An invisible force smacked the back of Kyr's head. "Knock it off. You're clearly upsetting the poor girl." The voice didn't seem to come from anyone in particular, but instead from inside Kyr's own head. No one else could hear it either.

Goldfly
2011-02-12, 07:29 PM
Ruana steps between Kyr and Emily as she steps away from him, watching Kyr's reaction.
"Leave her alone, Kyr. She clearly doesn't want to deal with all the questions."

Lix Lorn
2011-02-12, 08:22 PM
She looks appreciative of Ruana's intervention, and pretty much hides behind her.

balistafreak
2011-02-12, 09:06 PM
Kyr

His shoulders sinking with disappointment, Kyr seems to wilt underneath the group disapproval. "You guys are too kind. Agrivonians aren't exactly a dime a dozen, you know. There's so much you could learn!"

Nevertheless, he squares his shoulders, continuing the long march... before casting his eyes to the side again. "Athad. What about yourself?"

Turalisj
2011-02-12, 11:12 PM
"I'm an elf. I'm a telepath. I can see through your eyes with my mind. That's all you need to know." Athad said, his tone putting it into finality.

Fable Wright
2011-02-15, 07:37 PM
Before Kyr can respond, a sharp, unnerving, earsplitting shriek fills the air, like the sound of a great, enraged eagle, though higher in pitch, stronger in strength, and far more unnerving that this uncommon call. The air-splitting cry sounds as if it was far-off in this labyrinthine maze of passages, loud but distant, though it was impossible to tell. And before your ears can recover, you hear it's echoes around you, a cascading cacophony of the horrid cry, twisted and distorted, but surrounding you, mocking you, making it seem as though you're surrounded, before fading away back into the silence of the air, the dull buzz of the cries in your ear still ringing in the ungodly silence, which silent and inexorably absorbed the group once again...
Make a Will Save.

balistafreak
2011-02-15, 08:20 PM
Kyr

The changeling looks rather... nonplussed, a befuddled expression on his face.

Mechanics:
Will Save: [roll0]

Note that Kyr is immune to fear effects.

Goldfly
2011-02-15, 08:30 PM
Ruana stiffens as she hears the screech, looking around for what caused it.

Ruana activates Moment Of Perfect Mind as an immediate action.
[roll0]

Maneuvers Readied:
Moment of Perfect Mind
Blood In The Water
Wolf Fang Strike

Soulmelds Shaped:
Landshark Boots (Totem bound)[2e]
Blinkshirt [2e]
Rageclaws[2e]
Frost helm

Turalisj
2011-02-15, 10:21 PM
Athad focused, looking around for the source of the screech. "Look alive, we've got company."

[roll0]

Lix Lorn
2011-02-16, 05:23 AM
Emily jumps in fright!

[roll=Initiative?]1d20+1

Fable Wright
2011-02-16, 07:34 PM
Even as the cacophony dies away into the canyons, replaced by the ever-present silence, Emily and Athad are still shaken to the bone by the experience...
OOC: No, there is no combat right now.

Cadian 9th
2011-02-17, 01:22 AM
Tanis

" Alack! " He cries. " Watch all directions. Stop here and wait for whatever's hunting us to show itself! " He says...

Will save [roll0]

Lix Lorn
2011-02-17, 05:21 AM
Emily shudders, sticking close to her wyvern and throwing her arms around her neck.

balistafreak
2011-02-17, 05:52 PM
Kyr

The changeling gives Emily and Athad... a look that somehow communicates lack of empathy. "What are the lot of you looking grey about? It was only a noise. I can do that too, ya know. MRRRRRRAAAUUGGGH!!!" Raising his head up high, he gives off a long, ululating cry. Not quite as scary as the cry from before, but still intimidating regardless.

His head coming back down to a normal level, he affixes the wyvern rider with that same look again. "Nothing to be afraid about, mate. C'mon, lighten up. I'm sure we'll be seeing its maker soon enough. Look forward to it!"

Lix Lorn
2011-02-17, 05:55 PM
She giggles nervously.

Cadian 9th
2011-02-17, 07:02 PM
Tanis

" Enough Kyr, get into position. " He barks. " I don't want us ambushed. " He says, rearing his horse to face behind them. " Kyr, look to the left. Emily, right, over at that area. " He says, pointing. " Ruana, look ahead and Athad just keep an eye on our backs. " He says.

Lix Lorn
2011-02-18, 05:04 AM
Emily nods immediately, climbing onto her Wyvern's back.

balistafreak
2011-02-18, 08:11 AM
Kyr

"Aye, aye! Captain! Looking over to the left now." His face transforms into that of an old salt, identifiable with some peg-legged sailor, as he cups his hands and looks out in the ordered direction. For all his sarcasm, he seems to apply himself to the task earnestly.

Goldfly
2011-02-19, 12:04 PM
Ruana nods to Tanis, and steps forward, scanning the landscape for anything out of place.

Spot check:[roll0]

Fable Wright
2011-03-02, 12:29 AM
When Ruana scans the canyon, she sees nothing out of place- a few tumbling rocks, but that's it. After a while, you move on- little else happens, save for another cry, like the first, but closer, and from a completely different direction. As you continue to pad you way along in the eerie silence, you notice that the sun is already beginning to set- the bloody hues of the setting sun begin to fill the area with an eerie light, and the temperature begins to go down: Night is falling. Quickly.