PDA

View Full Version : Thematic Weaponry and Equipment: Let's try Moon

NekoJoker
2011-01-26, 06:06 PM
Trying to get my cleric of Sehanine moonbow into a more thematic flavour, so I would like to get some items in relation to the moon... but have not been really lucky so far...

All I can find right now is to refluff the Sunblades into moonblades... but that's pretty lame.

The MiC does not get me much, so i was wondering if the collective intelligence of the Playground can help a brother out

care to give a hand?

Kobold-Bard
2011-01-26, 06:10 PM
Scimitar/falchion is curved....like the moon....:smallredface:

Spiryt
2011-01-26, 06:10 PM
That depends what you mean....

Sickle represented moons crescent in many, many cultures, especially with correlation of it's phases to cycles of vegetation, fertility and all that stuff.

So that's always pretty simple, yet elegant thing to consider.

Or are you thinking about something else meaning "flavor"?

NekoJoker
2011-01-26, 06:21 PM
Hmmm What I mean for flavour is about having the weapon thematically linked to the Moon In-Game.

Just like the Sunblade is related to the Sun.

For example, the Full-Moon trick from the WEapons of Legacy supplement is linked to the moon, and lycans.

For the purposes of this thread any item that is related to the moon either in floklore or pop-culture might be accepted; but i would really prefer to have as many D&D related items as possible

Gray Mage
2011-01-26, 06:57 PM
Convince your DM to make a side quest where you find a moon stone and can make it into an armor or weapon? For weapon I don't know, but maybe have the armor be cold resistant or something like that? I don't know what element is related with the moon.

Elfin
2011-01-26, 07:05 PM
Well, cheese is bound to have a lunar flavor, seeing as the moon is made of it.

Looks like I've been beaten to the sickle, but I think that's a great idea. See, perhaps, if you can make a lesser moonblade a weapon that's wielded like and appears to be a sickle, but has the stats of a bastard sword?

AslanCross
2011-01-26, 07:08 PM
There are many concepts associated with the moon:

Magical properties (Most of these are from the MIC)
Change: anarchic, morphing
Light: illuminating, heavenly burst (though that's more of a sun thing), revealing, everbright
Insanity and illusion: mindcrusher, berserker, blurstrike
Tides: dislocator, great dislocator, brutal surge, knockback
Hunting: hunting

Sehanine Moonbow is the goddess of mysticism, dreams, death, journeys, transcendence, and the night sky. I think the Dislocator, Revealing, Illuminating and Anarchic properties work best.

Ranielle
2011-01-26, 08:08 PM
I was hoping that you used the Moon as a weapon.
I am now disappointed.

AslanCross
2011-01-26, 08:18 PM
On a less serious note, she could definitely qualify as a cleric of Sehanine Moonbow:

http://download-sailor-moon-episodes.edogo.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/eternal-sailor-moon.jpg

Elfin
2011-01-26, 08:20 PM
...I was going to make a joke about mooning people, but I you guys haven't done anything to deserve such groan-worthy "humor".

Loki Eremes
2011-01-26, 08:41 PM
Altough im not against a Tsukino's short skirt topic, im pretty serious that what NekoJoker is going after is not exactly that xD.

As dificult and limited Moon related items are, i think he is also refering to items that could be easily turned into the "Moon flavor" (no, im not talking about cheese Elfin)

Even saying this....
I cannot think of anything for him.

PD: Eilistraee rulez

Ravens_cry
2011-01-26, 08:46 PM
I was hoping that you used the Moon as a weapon.
I am now disappointed.
Well, with Hulking Hurler like builds, that is on the low end of their physical possibilities.
Hmmm, maybe some lycanthropic like abilities would add to the lunar flavour?

NekoJoker
2011-01-26, 08:54 PM
OK... this... seems to have gone a bit off topic. Let's see if I can get it straight.

Once again, what I'm looking for are items that are in one way or another related to the moon.

I would rather prefer them to be actual D&D items found either on the regular books or Dragon magazines.

So far I have been able to gather by myself:

- Refluffed the Sun Blade to Moon Blade, changed into a scimitar, flachion or rather large sickle to fit the theme.
-Same with millenial Chainmail, instead of Fast healing under the sun, it would be Under the moonlight
-Bow of the Wintermoon, rather self explanatory
-On the theme of mistery, which is rather related to Sehanine, the Mithralmist shirt seems appropiate, a chainshirt that grants some concealment.
-Full Moon Trick, a small dagger whith powers concerning the battle against Lycans
-Staff of the Torrent Moons, from Weapons of Legacy, which deals with the tides and other aquatic cratures

I will continue my research

herrhauptmann
2011-01-26, 10:31 PM
There's a greater weapon crystal. Has a power based on being placed in moonlight. I wanna say it's the witchlight reservoir.

Dimers
2011-01-26, 10:43 PM
Faerie Fire seems pretty moon-ish to me, though it's not in the title. Likewise, luminous armor and lantern light in BoED. Silver is associated with the moon traditionally as well as via D&D lycanthropes, so silver weapons and the Silvered Weapon BoED spell are both good.

Tattooed Monk has abilities for both crescent moon and full moon.

The moon dog is available as a cohort for a high-level character.

The Might&Magic video game series had a lunar spell that damaged all enemies lightly and healed all allies lightly, like a combined Mass Inflict / Mass Cure Light Wounds. That could be homebrewed pretty easily.

AslanCross
2011-01-26, 11:10 PM
The "Revealing" Weapon property I mentioned earlier has nothing to do with the Sailor Moon outfit, but it does outline the target in faerie fire.

NekoJoker
2011-01-26, 11:19 PM
The "Revealing" Weapon property I mentioned earlier has nothing to do with the Sailor Moon outfit, but it does outline the target in faerie fire.

It may actually work, faerie fire IS a spell from the moon domain so it actually fits.

I also took the time to check on the witchlight reservoir, it's rather nice, I'll add this to my list

now, about the sailor costume, you made me crack a good laugh, but I actually prefer Sailor Mercury. mmmh, yeah! sexy bookworm!

Excession
2011-01-27, 01:17 PM
The Khopesh is another crescent shaped weapon if you want something exotic.

DeltaEmil
2011-01-27, 01:22 PM
There is the crescent scythe exotic weapon described in Sandstorm.

Scarlet-Devil
2011-01-27, 01:37 PM
There are many concepts associated with the moon:

Magical properties (Most of these are from the MIC)
Change: anarchic, morphing
Light: illuminating, heavenly burst (though that's more of a sun thing), revealing, everbright
Insanity and illusion: mindcrusher, berserker, blurstrike
Tides: dislocator, great dislocator, brutal surge, knockback
Hunting: hunting

Sehanine Moonbow is the goddess of mysticism, dreams, death, journeys, transcendence, and the night sky. I think the Dislocator, Revealing, Illuminating and Anarchic properties work best.

This is all brilliant; personally I like blurstrike and revealing best.

SuperFish
2011-01-27, 08:11 PM
Silvered weapons.

pilvento
2011-01-31, 04:39 PM
a werewolf companion?

Triskavanski
2011-01-31, 04:45 PM
There is the crescent scythe exotic weapon described in Sandstorm.

This is what I suggest.

But there is also this..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_rabbit

I made an entire character who was based off the moon once.. have yet to play him.

Silver Rabbit, by the name of Puck (One of Jupiter's moons) who used a mochi mallet.

pilvento
2011-01-31, 04:51 PM
u can also ask your DM for a legacy weapon made acord to the Legacy manual, is not that hard. i can be a staff with a moon shaped stone or a sickle since u are a drow (evil).

still i think a werewolf companion is the best idea...

Amnestic
2011-01-31, 05:02 PM
Xan's Moonblade-

This potent weapon was created by the smiths of ancient Myth Drannor. Moonblades are used in the long process of selecting a ruler for the isle of Evermeet. A Moonblade chooses its owner, and in the case of this sword it has chosen the elf, Xan. Only Xan can use this blade, anyone else who tries will find themselves unable to lift the sword. This particular Moonblade gives resistance to fire and gives its user a bonus to his armor class.

Damage: 1D8
Damage type: slashing
Bonus to hit: 3
Bonus to damage: 3
Special:
+1 bonus to Armor Class
+50% Fire Resistance
Weight: 4
Speed Factor: 5
Proficiency Type: Small Sword
Type: 1-handed
Not Usable By:
Everyone but Xan

:smallbiggrin:

by the name of Puck (One of Jupiter's moons)

Puck is one of Uranus' moons, not Jupiter :smallsmile:

Triskavanski
2011-01-31, 05:42 PM
Are you calling me fat?

(Get it? :P)

AtomicKitKat
2011-01-31, 09:45 PM
First thought: Hulking Hurler?
Second thought: Monk using Hip Check Unarmed Strike?

On topic: Aside from all the scythe/sickle/kama weapons, there are also the boomerang and chackram.:smallsmile:

Chilingsworth
2011-01-31, 11:26 PM
You could also get magic items that replicate moon-flavored spells, be it moonbolt, moonblade, or any of the other moon domain spells.

These items could be simple scrolls, wands, or staves, or they could be x use/day custom items.

Trekkin
2011-01-31, 11:44 PM
One of the problems you're going to run into immediately is that the Moon, taken in and of itself, is a biggish chunk of rock in space. There isn't anything inherently lunar that's mutable enough to be expressed as an item property except perhaps the "shape", and even that gets tired quickly.

Short of the rather short list of "Moon" magic items, most of which are probably inversions of "Sun" items, you're probably going to have to delve into the themes attached to the moon by whatever culture you want to work with and go from there. Really, something suitably reminiscent of the concept of yin ought to be a good starting point for a gear list that will feel moon-themed without having the word "moon" pop up a dozen times.

Telonius
2011-02-01, 12:51 AM
Possible moon-like weapons:

Bows of any sort (Moonbow, and association through Diana/Artemis)
Sickle and Scimitar, as mentioned; looks like a crescent moon.
Chakram; circular weapons could be perceived as moon-like.

Spells:
Moon Bolt (SpC)

I've googled some materials on a "Hathran" PrC from 3.0, but haven't been able to find out much more about it. (Possibly from Forgotton Realms setting, or maybe homebrew, it was kind of unclear). Apparently it gives several moon-themed spells.