PDA

View Full Version : High level advice - 3.5

Kaim_the_angel
2011-01-26, 07:33 PM
Hi, basically my dm has just allowed my playing group to level up (a very rare occerance) and I have no idea what to level into, my character is a level 6 outsider level 1 ex-paladin and level 5 sworn slayer, he is an angel who has grown tired of humanities decadace and seeks to wipe out the species going as far as to leave heaven and sign up with hell. Mostly a combat character with a smattering of spell like abilities I'm looking for a way to make him far more effective in combat whilst giving him some other options. The only downside is the dm refuses to allow us another prestige class and so I have to level into a base class. I throw myself to the mercy of the internet! HelP me please

ericgrau
2011-01-26, 07:52 PM
ECL (the party level; LA + all other levels)? SLAs or angel type?

Kaim_the_angel
2011-01-27, 09:42 AM
Sorry should have said :S Essentually a hound archon my dm house ruled into an angel (Shape change to humans, no bite attack, replaced with fly speed 60 avarage) to stop my power-plays, so ecl 17, but all players in the party are Lvl 12, the onlt othe3r major change is all racial features and spell like-abilites into evil versions.
ANything else I should say lol (long time player, first time poster :L)

gbprime
2011-01-27, 09:52 AM
Can't use a prestige class, want to be more effective in battle...

Here's where we start recommending classes from Tome of Battle. :smallcool:

Myth
2011-01-27, 12:44 PM
Any chance for those Outsider HD to not be wasted and you grow into somthing akin to an evil Solar?

Any chance you can swap that useless lvl 1 ex-Paladin level for a Paladin of Tyranny/Slaughter?

What book does sworn slayer come from?

Kaim_the_angel
2011-01-27, 01:55 PM
The sworn slayer is from one of the dragon magazines, only 5 levels but brutal as hell :) I've asked about level swap and been offered a side quest, that's a negatory Dm. How do you level up outsider levels?

Elfin
2011-01-27, 02:12 PM
Outsider doesn't have levels, per se, but powerful outsiders have racial hit dice (RHD). These make them tougher, but aren't good for PCs, as they suck up levels but don't provide any class features.

If you have Tome of Battle, crusader or warblade would be an excellent fit. It's true for basically ever melee character, ever.

Alternately, a 1-level dip in cloistered cleric would allow you to grab Travel Devotion to enhance your mobility.

Kaim_the_angel
2011-01-27, 02:24 PM
I did consider cleric, the only problem there is Kaims lowest stat is wis at a mighty 11 (you gotta be lacking in common sense if you think you can do better than god :L) so that shot down any divine spellcasters, but I just got hold of the tome of battle and am flicking through it :)

Elfin
2011-01-27, 02:49 PM
The cleric dip wouldn't be for spells: it would be for the turning ability to fuel an excellent feat from Complete Chanpion called Travel Devotion.

But ToB is a great choice! May I be so bold as to recommend, depending on your choice of class, either Private-Prinny's Crusader Handbook (
just because a wizard can fly it doesn't mean that an enemy figther cannot do the same with some magic item.) or my own Warblade Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176968)?

ericgrau
2011-01-27, 03:41 PM
It sounds like he got the LA for free meaning he gets all those special abilities and 6 outsider HD in place of 6 levels. A great deal considering that outsider HD are full BAB, d8 HP, 8 skill points per level and 3 good saves. You'd have to pull some crazy powergaming combo to do better with class levels.

With those huge stats and minimal special abilities, you can go for a standard martial build. Any class will do. This should help you pick basic gear, not counting anything tricky you might think of: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8888911&postcount=20 . Since you get a ridiculous racial AC bonus I'd shoot for AC = 25 + level, to make yourself un-hittable on anything but a nat 20 against most baddies. 5 more will clinch it on almost everything, but that may be overkill. That plus SR, etc. may make you untouchable. Once you hit that minimum AC, which shouldn't be hard, you can focus the rest of your money on offense.