PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] A Gish for my friend

The Rabbler
2011-01-26, 11:11 PM
So, my group is starting a new campaign and my friend wants to play a gish. I'm not too familiar with gishes or the building thereof, however, so I thought I'd ask the play ground for a build.

he wants to play a blasty character who can reliably fall back on melee should he be forced to. Any ideas?

we start at level 8 and all sources (including dragon if we run it by the DM first) are available.

dextercorvia
2011-01-26, 11:28 PM
Paladin2/Sorcerer4/Spellsword1/AbjurantChampion5/SacredExorcist8 is the classic.

Duskblade20 works quite well.

Bard is awesome if you pimp out IC.

true_shinken
2011-01-26, 11:34 PM
Level 8 is a good starting point for a Suel Arcanamach build. I like Warblade 3/Duskblade 3/Arcanamach 2.

The Rabbler
2011-01-26, 11:36 PM
Paladin2/Sorcerer4/Spellsword1/AbjurantChampion5/SacredExorcist8 is the classic.

I was looking at this, but I was afraid it might be a little overpowering for the group.

Duskblade20 works quite well.

I completely forgot about the duskblade, thanks. A duskblade is perfect, thanks.

Bard is awesome if you pimp out IC.

my group got mad at me after I did this. dragonwrought desert kobold stacking IC buffers was a little much.

dextercorvia
2011-01-26, 11:40 PM
There is a Duskblade handbook. The best advice I remember from it is that the feats you will take are: Power Attack, Knowledge Devotion, Obtain Familiar, Arcane Strike.

Edit: That's weird about the bard. Usually folks don't mind when you make them better, too.

The Rabbler
2011-01-26, 11:51 PM
There is a Duskblade handbook. The best advice I remember from it is that the feats you will take are: Power Attack, Knowledge Devotion, Obtain Familiar, Arcane Strike.

Edit: That's weird about the bard. Usually folks don't mind when you make them better, too.

I showed him the handbook and he likes what he sees, so far.

as for the bard, well, once I got to the virtuoso and sublime chord part of the build, my group was a little fed up.

Level 8 is a good starting point for a Suel Arcanamach build. I like Warblade 3/Duskblade 3/Arcanamach 2.

my friend hates the ToB :/ good build though, I'll have to try it out sometime.

dextercorvia
2011-01-26, 11:54 PM
The Warblade is completely optional in the Suel Build. Paladin, Ranger, Hexblade, and even Soulborn get thrown into that mix. They need Full BAB to get the most out of Suel Arcanamach, and enough need to have the wizardly skills to qualify.

RagnaroksChosen
2011-01-27, 12:38 AM
ya i have to recomend duskblade... especialy if he wants to blast... its not totaly optimal but duskblades do have a few ranged spell options

Keld Denar
2011-01-27, 01:21 AM
Another good Suel build is Paladin4/Duskblade2/Suel1/AbjChamp1, progressing to full AbjChamp levels, then 3 more Suel levels, then a level of Spellsword to complete Suel casting. For race, be a NaenHoon Illumian (Races of Destiny). You can burn turn undead attempts (from Paladin) to apply metamagic to spells for free. Take Extend Spell and Persist Spell, plus maybe an Extra Turning or 2, and you can Persist up to 2 spells. Suel gets some really golden ones, like Wraithstrike and Shield or Enlarge Person.

G3N3R3L GHOST
2011-01-27, 01:35 AM
You could always look into a Warlock build as well. Using Eldritch blast and eldritch Glaive will fill your blasting and melee roles respectively. One of my favorites is to do Warlock/Ur Priest into Eldritch Disciple...but that is a little on the cheesy side. Regardless feel free to check out the Warlocks handbook as well.