PDA

View Full Version : best animal companion

aart lover
2011-01-26, 11:19 PM
what do you guys think would be the best animal companion ? i'm not talking about familiars, just ordinary animals/creatures that follow you around. i'd personally like a pseudodragon, but that's just me.

aboyd
2011-01-26, 11:29 PM
I like the ape. He's low level enough that he's easy to get, but he has 10' reach, for lots of attacks of opportunity.

nyarlathotep
2011-01-26, 11:37 PM
Standard answer from a statistical point of view is a large cat (puma etc.), or a fleshraker dinosaur (MM3). This is for two very useful abilities both of them possess, pounce and rend. Usually with the boosts from leveling up these two remain at the head of the pack.

For a personal roleplaying perspective I'd have to go with some form of dinosaur, either one of the hundreds of DND raptor clones or a T-rex.

BenInHB
2011-01-26, 11:52 PM
Riding Dog

It's available at the first level you get an Animal Companion. It can Trip like a wolf but has better strength, damage and AC.

Vknight
2011-01-26, 11:54 PM
I love the Hawk & Owl.
Not the best but they make great rouges able to sneak attack with evasion & uncanny dodge at low levels.

For best a velociraptor clone, bear, ape, or large cat. In a campaign set in an area near a great volume of water or constantly near water, Crocodile.

aart lover
2011-01-28, 09:21 PM
Riding Dog

It's available at the first level you get an Animal Companion. It can Trip like a wolf but has better strength, damage and AC.

only problem is that only the smaller types like halflings can ride them. otherwise, you raise a valid point.

MachineWraith
2011-01-28, 09:37 PM
only problem is that only the smaller types like halflings can ride them. otherwise, you raise a valid point.

He has a valid point regardless. It's a wolf, but better. If you're small and can ride, then it's a wolf, but better, that you can ride. :smallwink:

From a crunch perspective, I'd go with what a poster above me has already said: large cat or fleshraker.

However, I can't deny the siren call that is the T-rex animal companion.

Vknight
2011-01-28, 09:54 PM
Neither can I I miss Rexy so much he was so much fun.

Loki Eremes
2011-01-28, 10:19 PM

Cthulhu.

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/6417/motivator9e1dce68f1d499.jpg

Vknight
2011-01-28, 10:25 PM
Now that is a useless animal companion

Stallion
2011-01-28, 10:27 PM
Giant Crocodile. Improved Grab, ridiculous grapple, reach, hold breath.

Vknight
2011-01-28, 10:43 PM
Still does not compare to others but it is useful for campaigns in areas with many rivers and swamps.

rayne_dragon
2011-01-28, 11:57 PM
Ever since I read an article on the cleverness of octopi, I've thought they'd make a great animal companion, if you can put up with the limitations. Plus they're funny and weird.

That said, pseudodragons and fairy dragons are just awesome.

isotunknown
2011-01-29, 12:01 AM
Fleshraker or the big cats for fighting.

Vknight
2011-01-29, 06:48 PM
On further review I stand by what I stated earlier but Feiry Dragons do offer some useful benefits

Eldariel
2011-01-29, 07:02 PM
Ursine companion would be optimal. 'cause Bear > Everything.

CycloneJoker
2011-01-29, 07:12 PM
Horrid, Dire, Magebred, Draconic, Paragon, Creature of Legend, Radiant puppy.

Did I win?

Vknight
2011-01-29, 07:21 PM

Did I win?

No instead you have lost everything!!!

MammonAzrael
2011-01-29, 07:22 PM
If its a class feature, you can't beat the fleshraker IMO.

Dinosaurs ftw!

aart lover
2011-01-29, 07:34 PM
i guess fleshraker= serious win. although i've never heard of it

CycloneJoker
2011-01-29, 07:34 PM
No instead you have lost everything!!!

Nah, I'm pretty I won.

MammonAzrael
2011-01-29, 07:53 PM

Monster Manual 3. 4 HD, Pounce+, 2 claws, 1 bite, 1 tail, rake, and poison.

And, dinosaur.

Eldariel
2011-01-29, 07:53 PM

It's a Raptor-like dinosaur with poisonous claws; listed in Monster Manual III. It packs some serious wallop; intelligent, agile, strong creature with amazing speed, and a very, very scary combat style involving a cat-style pounce except it also tries to knock the target off-balance with its weight in the pounce; in effect, it's a pounce with all its limbs (including a rake) + poison into a trip and a grapple thrown in for good measure. Oh, and they have a thick skin to boot. Combat-wise, they're quite unparalleled, especially in the category of similarly-sized creatures.

Greenish
2011-01-29, 07:59 PM
It packs some serious wallop; intelligent, agile, strong creature with amazing speed, and a very, very scary combat style involving a cat-style pounce except it also tries to knock the target off-balance with its weight in the pounce; in effect, it's a pounce with all its limbs (including a rake) + poison into a trip and a grapple thrown in for good measure. Oh, and they have a thick skin to boot. Combat-wise, they're quite unparalleled, especially in the category of similarly-sized creatures.Remember, raptors run 10 m/s and know no fear.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/substitute.png

MarkusWolfe
2011-01-29, 08:15 PM
Standard answer from a statistical point of view is a large cat (puma etc.), or a fleshraker dinosaur (MM3). This is for two very useful abilities both of them possess, pounce and rend. Usually with the boosts from leveling up these two remain at the head of the pack.

For a personal roleplaying perspective I'd have to go with some form of dinosaur, either one of the hundreds of DND raptor clones or a T-rex.

UUUGH....this reminds me of my last session.

We were ridding a forest of an evil taint.

First day, we were attacked by a LEGENDARY TIGER. It jumped me, I failed the grapple check. For the rest of the fight, I was on my back stabbing it with a knife until it died after which I had to help kill the other LEGENDARY TIGER that had come along. But it was ok, I skinned them, took their skulls and claws and ate their delicious hearts.

Second day, I heard something sneaking up on us. We all climb 10-15 ft up some trees, except for the caster, who hides in a bush. He is almost killed when a FIENDISH LEGENDARY TIGER pounces on him. He gets out of there, we all jump the tiger, but again I end up on the bottom stabbing it with my knife. Then it ran away after we had done serious damage to it.

We gave pursuit after healing up of course, and then we encountered the gnoll druid. After hitting us with spells, he sicced a megaraptor on us. We just barely managed to kill it, but the cleric was trapped in its mouth. Then as the druid turned into a megaraptor, the tiger came back. Surprise! It was the druids animal companion! And guess who it went for first? That's right, me. The other half of the party manages to fell the druid, but meanwhile the tiger almost kills me. It got to a point where it might have killed me with another full round attack, but then it saw the cleric sticking halfway out of the raptors mouth and decided he looked tastier. This gave me the chance the stand and finish the vile beast with a blow from my greataxe.

All in all, the encounter had nearly made mincemeat of us all, but we survived. The tiger received the same treatment as the other 2, sans the heart eating. Their pelts all sold for over 5k gp apiece.

But yes, a cat or a bear is the best way to go.

aart lover
2011-01-29, 09:59 PM
UUUGH....this reminds me of my last session.

We were ridding a forest of an evil taint.

First day, we were attacked by a LEGENDARY TIGER. It jumped me, I failed the grapple check. For the rest of the fight, I was on my back stabbing it with a knife until it died after which I had to help kill the other LEGENDARY TIGER that had come along. But it was ok, I skinned them, took their skulls and claws and ate their delicious hearts.

Second day, I heard something sneaking up on us. We all climb 10-15 ft up some trees, except for the caster, who hides in a bush. He is almost killed when a FIENDISH LEGENDARY TIGER pounces on him. He gets out of there, we all jump the tiger, but again I end up on the bottom stabbing it with my knife. Then it ran away after we had done serious damage to it.

We gave pursuit after healing up of course, and then we encountered the gnoll druid. After hitting us with spells, he sicced a megaraptor on us. We just barely managed to kill it, but the cleric was trapped in its mouth. Then as the druid turned into a megaraptor, the tiger came back. Surprise! It was the druids animal companion! And guess who it went for first? That's right, me. The other half of the party manages to fell the druid, but meanwhile the tiger almost kills me. It got to a point where it might have killed me with another full round attack, but then it saw the cleric sticking halfway out of the raptors mouth and decided he looked tastier. This gave me the chance the stand and finish the vile beast with a blow from my greataxe.

All in all, the encounter had nearly made mincemeat of us all, but we survived. The tiger received the same treatment as the other 2, sans the heart eating. Their pelts all sold for over 5k gp apiece.

But yes, a cat or a bear is the best way to go.

dude:smalleek: one tiny nitpick tho. i was under the impression that gnoll didn't have the intelligence or the wisdom to be druids?

Greenish
2011-01-29, 10:03 PM
dude:smalleek: one tiny nitpick tho. i was under the impression that gnoll didn't have the intelligence or the wisdom to be druids?Specific classes do not have stat requirements for taking levels in, in 3.5. All you need to take levels in PC classes is to have cha and wis scores, and 3+ int.

Gnolls (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/gnoll.htm) come with -2 int and no adjustment to wis score, for the record.

Ranger Mattos
2011-01-29, 11:47 PM

Did I win?

No. Winning would be a Horrid, Dire, Magebred, Draconic, Half-Dragon, Half-Minotaur, Feral, Paragon, Creature of Legend, Radiant, Pseudonatural house cat.

... a wizard did it.

Vknight
2011-01-29, 11:51 PM
No. Winning would be a Horrid, Dire, Magebred, Draconic, Half-Dragon, Half-Minotaur, Feral, Paragon, Creature of Legend, Radiant, Pseudonatural house cat.

... a wizard did it.

Exactly.
That is why you lost.
But if we are going that far I can think of a way to have ooze's.
More specifically a Half-Dragon, Gelantious Cube.

CycloneJoker
2011-01-30, 12:09 AM

... a wizard did it.

Nah, Half-Dragon, Half-Minotaur, Feral, and Pseudonatural all make it less cute and cuddly, both VERY important attributes for a puppy, and puppies>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>cats, therefor I won.

Ranger Mattos
2011-01-30, 12:15 AM
Exactly.
That is why you lost.
But if we are going that far I can think of a way to have ooze's.
More specifically a Half-Dragon, Gelantious Cube.

Nah, Half-Dragon, Half-Minotaur, Feral, and Pseudonatural all make it less cute and cuddly, both VERY important attributes for a puppy, and puppies>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>cats, therefor I won.

But it can destroy millions of commoners with a single purr! Or raise them all to life! And it is made of pure awesomeness! :smallfrown: Oh well. But I will not concede the puppies > cats thing.

aart lover
2011-01-30, 12:33 AM

... a wizard did it.

friggin wizards:smallannoyed:

DragonOfUndeath
2011-01-30, 12:56 AM

HERETIC! UNCLEAN! *Tries to escape before a Housecat uses it's Teleport Purr SLA and kills everyone in the Forum for such insolence*

Vknight
2011-01-30, 01:19 AM
Fear not for I am part of the 'Gelantious Cube, Winged Corp'!!

DragonOfUndeath
2011-01-30, 01:26 AM
So you'll last an extra second so what?

Eldariel
2011-01-30, 01:27 AM
I'm...just going to go off the limb and state you all lost the game.

Vknight
2011-01-30, 01:29 AM
So you'll last an extra second so what?

Silly we of the 'Gelantious Cube, Winged Corp'!!
Come prepared I always carry a bag of holding filed with Catnip and Level1 wizards. Then I tie the bag and feed it to my 'Half-Dragon,Gelantinous Cube'!!

DragonOfUndeath
2011-01-30, 01:32 AM
The cube wouldn't work. You need to feed it to the cube, stuff the Cube in a Bag of Holding then destroy the bag with a dagger. All contents are destroyed.

MeeposFire
2011-01-30, 01:33 AM
I'm...just going to go off the limb and state you all lost the game.

You only lose the game by remembering the game. What that is not the game you are talking about...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOO!

I just lost the game then:smallsigh:.

DragonOfUndeath
2011-01-30, 01:34 AM
Now I lost the game cause you reminded me of it. Dam you to hell!

MeeposFire
2011-01-30, 02:14 AM
Now I lost the game cause you reminded me of it. Dam you to hell!

With the rules I learned if somebody else loses the game (which you must signify by stating it out loud) everybody there is given 30 minutes to forget the game all over again. Hearing somebody say "I lost the game" does not cause you to lose too since I am the one who lost.

Of course every time you come back here you will probably lose the game. Boo on me for posting the game.

And of course every person reading the thread now is playing the game. you poor, poor fools!

MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Coidzor
2011-01-30, 02:18 AM
It wouldn't be so bad, but you guys reminded me of the existence of Kender. And that's just unforgivable. :smallannoyed:

MarkusWolfe
2011-01-30, 09:39 AM
It wouldn't be so bad, but you guys reminded me of the existence of Kender. And that's just unforgivable. :smallannoyed:

K-k-kender? Please, no, don't talk about them. I don't want to kill again.....:smallfrown:

ShriekingDrake
2011-01-30, 09:41 AM
Silly we of the 'Gelantious Cube, Winged Corp'!!

Must be something like those flying toasters that have since become extinct-or so it seems

Kaeso
2011-01-30, 09:48 AM
I bet this will look really out of place between the overpowered raptors and puma's, but I always have a soft spot for a horse.

It just has a certain charm: a mounted ranger on horseback. You can easily position yourself with a speed of 60 feet/round (or 120 on a double move) and still use a ranged full attack every round. If you combine this with precise shot (which allows you to fire into melee without a penalty) and use your horses superior speed to stay out of melee, then you can deal a ton of damage without ever getting hurt by the scary melee guys.

MarkusWolfe
2011-01-30, 09:51 AM
I bet this will look really out of place between the overpowered raptors and puma's, but I always have a soft spot for a horse.

It just has a certain charm: a mounted ranger on horseback. You can easily position yourself with a speed of 60 feet/round (or 120 on a double move) and still use a ranged full attack every round. If you combine this with precise shot (which allows you to fire into melee without a penalty) and use your horses superior speed to stay out of melee, then you can deal a ton of damage without ever getting hurt by the scary melee guys.

Ah.....now your thinking with MONGOL tactics!

That said, I think there are a few other animals that offer the same benefits and still serve better in combat....

Kaeso
2011-01-30, 09:59 AM
Ah.....now your thinking with MONGOL tactics!

That said, I think there are a few other animals that offer the same benefits and still serve better in combat....

Actually, I am :smallredface:
But what animals would be better than a good ol' horse? I'm not sure there are many other animals that are animal companions, mountable and faster than a light horse.

Vknight
2011-01-30, 11:01 AM
Anything Large a Druid can ride really. Some are slightly slower but pack better combat capabilities. Some are faster. The Horse is Mario basically.

If you must have an example.

My Gelantious Cube, with the Half-Dragon template. It has 2immunties, Flight 40, and a Breath Weapon, every 1d4+1 rounds.

Greenish
2011-01-30, 11:05 AM
Actually, I am :smallredface:
But what animals would be better than a good ol' horse? I'm not sure there are many other animals that are animal companions, mountable and faster than a light horse.I've always been partial to megaraptors (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/dinosaur.htm#megaraptor). Dire Bat (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/direBat.htm) isn't quite so fast, but when you're flying, who cares?

Vknight
2011-01-30, 11:14 AM
I've always been partial to megaraptors (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/dinosaur.htm#megaraptor). Dire Bat (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/direBat.htm) isn't quite so fast, but when you're flying, who cares?

Exactlly.
That is why I boasted of my Cube. Only 40ft but it flies and what is more terrifing a guy on a horse or a giant piece of Jell-O landing ontop of you to eat you?

CycloneJoker
2011-01-30, 11:24 AM
Nightmare. Flying, burning hell-horse. I think that's worse than the Cube.

BTW, your cube MUST be named Rubix.

Vknight
2011-01-30, 11:44 AM
No he is actually named 'Mega-bit'

No my cube is worse because he is immune sneak attacks, acid, poison, and one other element. Attacking you in melee means your cube can eat them next round then you can attack them as well.

MarkusWolfe
2011-01-30, 11:54 AM
Anything Large a Druid can ride really. Some are slightly slower but pack better combat capabilities. Some are faster. The Horse is Mario basically.

If you must have an example.

My Gelantious Cube, with the Half-Dragon template. It has 2immunties, Flight 40, and a Breath Weapon, every 1d4+1 rounds.

How can it have a breath weapon if it doesn't even breath?

Vknight
2011-01-30, 11:56 AM
A wizard did it.

ShriekingDrake
2011-01-30, 12:42 PM
Never mind . . . .

Vknight
2011-01-30, 12:48 PM
Dude wrong topic. I mean big time wrong topic.

ShriekingDrake
2011-01-30, 01:03 PM
Ha!!! . . . Wrong thread. I was doing too much at once. I'll move it. It was for the "Rockburst" thread and the book is, not surprisingly, Shining South. My apologies for the additional clutter.

But, as I've taken up space, let me add that the "best" Animal Companion is not necessarily the most powerful. (My earlier post assumed that "best" meant optimized.)

I've had rangers and druids with (in our worlds) legendary partnerships with more flavorful animals. I've often found that DMs are willing to allow more amazing things to happen with a flavorful animal companion than with a tank. Sure, as I suggested above, I've enjoyed having my 700 lbs. Fleshraker come to dominate the party. But, some of my less potent ACs have been more fun: dog, monkey, hawk and badger among them.

Vknight
2011-01-30, 01:20 PM
Don't worry at least you put it in the right one now.

Derjuin
2011-01-30, 01:25 PM
Unicorn!!!!!!!! :smallbiggrin:

You can't normally get one until Epic levels (Magical Beast animal companion), but with paladin levels, you can have a unicorn special mount and take a feat to make your unicorn into both a special mount AND an animal companion!

Well, either unicorn or monstrous spider.

Vknight
2011-01-30, 01:29 PM
Go for the spider.

Kaeso
2011-01-30, 01:34 PM
I've always been partial to megaraptors (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/dinosaur.htm#megaraptor). Dire Bat (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/direBat.htm) isn't quite so fast, but when you're flying, who cares?

This does make me wonder, can your mount move and attack (move action + standard action, or full attack due to pounce goodness) while it's rider shoots it's bow (full attack)?

Coidzor
2011-01-30, 01:35 PM
I believe the Spider does have the best poison of the lot. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20040705a) Add in Vermin Trainer feat from Drow of the Underdark and you've got a free daily source of poison.

Edit: In terms of DC for size, scorpion beats spider beats centipede and in terms of damage for size, spider beats centipede beats scorpion. In terms of value of the damage type, well, that's up to one's preferences between Constitution, Dexterity, and Strength... I'm most partial to dex and con myself, though against the right targets strength/con are the better combo.

Greenish
2011-01-30, 01:37 PM
This does make me wonder, can your mount move and attack (move action + standard action, or full attack due to pounce goodness) while it's rider shoots it's bow (full attack)?Sure, but you'd rather want a pouncer which can charge and full attack while you full attack.

That is, if you plan on riding to melee, but if you do the ancient parthians will turn in their graves.

Last Laugh
2011-01-30, 01:44 PM
Sure, but you'd rather want a pouncer which can charge and full attack while you full attack.

That is, if you plan on riding to melee, but if you do the ancient parthians will turn in their graves.

I heard you liked to full attack, so I....

aart lover
2011-01-30, 04:05 PM
awesome ideas, guys, keep it coming. git er' done!

Ranger Mattos
2011-01-30, 06:10 PM

... a wizard did it.

Dang it, now that I've been thinking about it I want someone who has all the relevant books to stat this thing up.

On topic: I personally favor big cats. Especially tigers. Especially elven rangers riding tigers into battle. Epic.

CycloneJoker
2011-01-30, 06:24 PM
Dang it, now that I've been thinking about it I want someone who has all the relevant books to stat this thing up.

On topic: I personally favor big cats. Especially tigers. Especially elven rangers riding tigers into battle. Epic.

D20 SRD epic for Pseudonatural and paragon, Savage Species for Feral, Crystal Keep for the rest.

Ranger Mattos
2011-01-30, 06:26 PM
D20 SRD epic for Pseudonatural and paragon, Savage Species for Feral, Crystal Keep for the rest.

Crystalkeep is gone (http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/index.php). Otherwise I would be able to stat up UberKitty.

CycloneJoker
2011-01-30, 06:59 PM
Crystalkeep is gone (http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/index.php). Otherwise I would be able to stat up UberKitty.

I'm glad I got it before then, then. I'll try to stat it up tomorrow.

Coidzor
2011-01-30, 07:24 PM

I think you need to go third party (AFAIK, Necromancer Games' Tome of Horrors is the only source) in order to get Dire on a House Cat.