PDA

View Full Version : What LA is Solar?

Chess435
2011-01-26, 11:43 PM
I'm homebrewing a Solar Monster class and would like some input about what LA you would consider it to be.

Silva Stormrage
2011-01-26, 11:45 PM
I'm homebrewing a Solar Monster class and would like some input about what LA you would consider it to be.

Just something first, wouldn't this go in the Homebrew Section of the forums?
Second, its hard to give a LA for a class we have no idea how it works. For example how fast does it get its spell like abilities? Does it gain cleric levels every level? Wish as a spell like ability every day might warrant 3 LA by itself in my opinion. Maybe higher.

Vauron
2011-01-26, 11:45 PM
Are you using the community monster classes style? If so, than the number of levels should equal its CR.

Mystic Muse
2011-01-26, 11:47 PM
Solars don't have a level adjustment.

Here's a homebrew, but otherwise they aren't actually meant to be played. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9734048&postcount=1033

Chess435
2011-01-26, 11:49 PM
Are you using the community monster classes style? If so, than the number of levels should equal its CR.

Hmmmm, okay. that works. Makes my life simpler.

Chess435
2011-01-26, 11:53 PM
Solars don't have a level adjustment.

Here's a homebrew, but otherwise they aren't actually meant to be played. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9734048&postcount=1033

Thanks for the help. This thread can be locked/ignored now.

mabriss lethe
2011-01-26, 11:55 PM
It would have to extend into an Epic level progression. 22 Outsider HD, CL of 20, lots of SLAs and abilities...

A savage species progression would probably be upwards of 40 levels. Which is kind of crap when you think about it. If I understand Pathfinder's way of determining monster level, it's straight CR, which would make a Solar a 23 level class. which could be considered a little thin, until you realize that no matter how nasty you are, your wizard buddy just broke reality the instant he hit level 21 and learned the glories of epic magic while you're still playing in the old sandbox two levels later.

MeeposFire
2011-01-27, 03:04 AM
It would have to extend into an Epic level progression. 22 Outsider HD, CL of 20, lots of SLAs and abilities...

A savage species progression would probably be upwards of 40 levels. Which is kind of crap when you think about it. If I understand Pathfinder's way of determining monster level, it's straight CR, which would make a Solar a 23 level class. which could be considered a little thin, until you realize that no matter how nasty you are, your wizard buddy just broke reality the instant he hit level 21 and learned the glories of epic magic while you're still playing in the old sandbox two levels later.

yea but two levels later you are flying high again. I think I could wait two levels to have all the solar benefits.

Runestar
2011-01-27, 03:15 AM
An old issue of dragon pegged its ECL at 36, though this is 3.0, and many of the ECLs are quite inflated (even by today's inflated standards).

I have found that having so many SLAs isn't always all it's cut out to be. Many of them aren't that strong, and so won't see much use in combat (so you aren't really much stronger than a straight cleric). The only problem is wish, but so long as you rule that some of the more problematic uses cost xp (such as wishing for a magic item), it shouldn't be an issue.

I think a solar without wish wouldn't be higher than ECL27. Make the bow and sword count towards its wealth limit?

Myth
2011-01-27, 05:32 AM
Here is a good starting point to consider: What do you, being a real Solar, gain that the Wizard who Shapechanges into a Solar wont?

Gauging it's LA by the fighter/monk standard is just silly and absurd. Also it will automatically count as eligible for Epic spells at 21HD.