PDA

View Full Version : PBP Games

Rasman
2011-01-26, 11:53 PM
I'm terribly bored and have too much free time on my hands. I've heard about PBP games and always been interested in them, but never actually found one. I have ALL these characters that I want to play, but no where to use them unless I kill off my characters in my IRL campaigns, which I refuse to do.

So, are there any sites or places that I should look for them, particularly for Pathfinder games?

Private-Prinny
2011-01-27, 12:01 AM
This should do. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)

Voldecanter
2011-01-27, 12:11 AM
Many people complain about how PBP fall apart very easily, my suggestion to keep it alive and well, is to play exclusively with your IRL friends or friends of friends that you know outside of the internet, I find that hen friends play online in their spare time, the game tends not to suffer abandonment from either the DM or the players.

Rasman
2011-01-27, 12:14 AM
This should do. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)

I feel relatively retarded now. Thank you Prinny, I feel like I just received a +2 Headband of Intellect.

Volos
2011-01-27, 12:26 AM
I feel relatively retarded now. Thank you Prinny, I feel like I just received a +2 Headband of Intellect.

You sure it wasn't a +2 Periapt of Wisdom?

But on a more serious note, PBP games do tend to die out quite often. A select few seem to survive and even those have their issues. With a great DM and dedicated players, anything is possible.

Quirken
2011-01-27, 12:40 AM
Given how much time I end up thinking about game mechanics and character concepts, and how I'd like to play more, I've thought about PBP. But without the in-person "ha-ha" element that often happens with something unexpected... dunno if it'd feel the same. (Guess there's only one way to find out)

The real thing that's kept me from trying is I tend to play "quiet" characters; i.e. I'm new to RPing and like to stick with stuff I know how to handle (skills, combat. things with constraints on what you can or cannot do) and interject comments when they add something good. PBP games often are hugely RP-based... (at least the ones I've looked at. You typically see paragraphs, and not a lot of dice rolling)

Claudius Maximus
2011-01-27, 01:36 AM
Many people complain about how PBP fall apart very easily, my suggestion to keep it alive and well, is to play exclusively with your IRL friends or friends of friends that you know outside of the internet, I find that hen friends play online in their spare time, the game tends not to suffer abandonment from either the DM or the players.

Even with IRL friends it can be pretty rough though. I have a group of 8 players that are willing to drive across state lines to attend my game but it took two entire weeks to get a response to the latest prompt in my pbp version.

Strawberries
2011-01-27, 01:44 AM
I had both good and bad experiences with pbps on this site, but I find the good outweight the bad by far. The trick is to not give up after a few failed attempts.

Also, Rasman, if you are interested and are wondering how to play, check out the sticky guide (there's a link in my sig, too). I expanded a bit on the subject of pbps dying there (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10161017#post10161017)

Warlawk
2011-01-27, 02:47 AM
I've tried PbP and it just isn't for me. I can express myself fairly well with text, and don't really have trouble with that. It just isn't the same as sitting down with some friends and having a good game. Just not the same vibe.