PDA

View Full Version : Pricing and effects on items to prolong fighting endurance?

Sir_Chivalry
2011-01-27, 12:30 AM
Okay, I have two questions:

1. How much would you price a drug or alchemical substance that granted something similar to the "Deathless Frenzy" effect from Frenzied Berserker for a short duration?

2. How would you rule the effects of tightly wrapping a character's body to decrease bloodflow?

Background: Months back I was doing some research for a novella I was writing, and I found out that historically (in various cultures), the ways to delay shock and prolong endurance in battle were . . . the things above, powerful drugs and body wrappings.

I have a villain idea the uses this to prolong his fighting, and I was wondering what you guys think?

Combat Reflexes
2011-01-27, 03:59 AM
The alchemical substance could be a (maybe re-fluffed) Potion of Beastlands' Ferocity. Beastlands' Ferocity is a level 1 spell that effectively grants the Diehard feat for 1 minute/level, IIRC.

On body-wrapping clothes: maybe give the characters wearing them DR 1/bludgeoning and slashing or something like that.

Loki Eremes
2011-01-27, 05:56 AM
Diehards does not allow you to be active beyond -10hp.

Well, you asked how much will it cost something like Deathless Frenzy
My answer will be:

-depends on duration
&
-expensive enought for not having bunch of these on inventory.

Why?
Imagine if a caster could have those extra rounds to cast more and more spells?
-60hp....-94hp.....-345hp...... who do it care, i have unlimited hp!
So, i would be carefull on how many rounds do it worns off.

And thats the worst case i can imagine. :smalltongue:

As for wraps thats a heal skill check, im referring to, stop bleeding for this matter.

Combat Reflexes
2011-01-27, 07:39 AM
Ok, make the potion Delay Death then.

Sir_Chivalry
2011-01-27, 09:53 AM
The alchemical substance could be a (maybe re-fluffed) Potion of Beastlands' Ferocity. Beastlands' Ferocity is a level 1 spell that effectively grants the Diehard feat for 1 minute/level, IIRC.

On body-wrapping clothes: maybe give the characters wearing them DR 1/bludgeoning and slashing or something like that.

I agree with Loki below about Diehard.

DR 1 that's overcome by a gnome hooked hammer or an executioner's mace? Or did you mean DR 1/bludgeoning or slashing, in which case it would mainly apply to piercing weapons? That seems appropriate, probably requiring a Heal check to apply to a warrior.

Diehards does not allow you to be active beyond -10hp.

Well, you asked how much will it cost something like Deathless Frenzy
My answer will be:

-depends on duration
&
-expensive enought for not having bunch of these on inventory.

Why?
Imagine if a caster could have those extra rounds to cast more and more spells?
-60hp....-94hp.....-345hp...... who do it care, i have unlimited hp!
So, i would be carefull on how many rounds do it worns off.

And thats the worst case i can imagine. :smalltongue:

As for wraps thats a heal skill check, im referring to, stop bleeding for this matter.

Hmm, you raise a good point, perhaps something more along the lines of the Immortal Fortitude stance, allowing a Fortitude save to not die each time you drop to -10, but once you've succeeded on three saves, the next time kills you?

And the Heal check to stop bleeding can't normally be done preemptively.

Ok, make the potion Delay Death then.

That could work too.

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-01-30, 01:09 PM
This is just a thought, but you could treat the wrappings as Iron Ward Diamonds from MIC. It give DR 1/-, 3/-, or 5/- until ten time the amount of damamge is dealth and then it stops function for the day. This could work, as the wrapping would have to be re-applied each day (you couldn't or rather shouldn't sleep in something like that).