PDA

View Full Version : I Can't Extend My Desktop Anymore! Help!

Deth Muncher
2011-01-27, 12:51 AM
Okay, before we go any further, you want to know what I'm running. I use a Lenovo T500, and it's running Windows Vista.

I have an ATI videocard, I think, and until recently, I was able to right-click my Desktop, which would let me get to screen properties which would let me decide if I wanted to clone my Desktop onto my TV, or if I wanted to extend it. I want to extend it. But apparently, the last time I used Steam, it updated my graphics card, and I lost this ability. What do I do to get it back?

Jack Squat
2011-01-27, 09:19 AM
I use displayfusion (http://www.displayfusion.com/), but admittedly that's because I was looking for something that let me have two different backgrounds.

Alternatively, if you go to Control Panel -> Display -> Connect to a Projector, can you adjust there? In 7 you can - it's been awhile since I did it in Vista, but I think the process is the same.

KuReshtin
2011-01-27, 09:37 AM
Try updating the Presentation Director.

Go to Google.com. Search for "MIGR-70383". That will take you to the Presentation Director download page.

Sometimes, the Thinkpads wants you to reinstall that after it's updated the driver for the graphics card.

When you set up the Extended desktop, and you have the Presentation Director installed, you should be able to use the Fn+F7 combination to quickly access the options available and the presentation profiles that you can seet up.

Actually, since you're using a T500, I'd strongly recommend that you Google "MIGR-70443" and bookmark the page, as that contains all the latest drivers available for your laptop.
And it gets updated any time there is a new version of any of the drivers on there.

Deth Muncher
2011-01-27, 09:46 AM
Try updating the Presentation Director.

Go to Google.com. Search for "MIGR-70383". That will take you to the Presentation Director download page.

Sometimes, the Thinkpads wants you to reinstall that after it's updated the driver for the graphics card.

When you set up the Extended desktop, and you have the Presentation Director installed, you should be able to use the Fn+F7 combination to quickly access the options available and the presentation profiles that you can seet up.

Actually, since you're using a T500, I'd strongly recommend that you Google "MIGR-70443" and bookmark the page, as that contains all the latest drivers available for your laptop.
And it gets updated any time there is a new version of any of the drivers on there.

Oooooh, shiny. Thanks!

EDIT: Brainsplode. I did not know that worked like that. I always used to just right click the screen and get to it that way.

KuReshtin
2011-01-27, 09:52 AM
Oooooh, shiny. Thanks!

EDIT: Brainsplode. I did not know that worked like that. I always used to just right click the screen and get to it that way.

Hopefully, that'll work for you.
Those driver pages for the Thinkpads were our saviours when I worked for the Lenovo tech support.
Easiest thing in the world to tell someone to just Google a document-ID instead of having to guide them through 15 links to get to the correct one.

TPAD-MATRIX (Thinkpad models) and NOTE-MATRIX (Lenovo ValueLine models) were probably the most used Doc-IDs we had. :smallcool:

Edit: Fn+F7 is your friend. :smallbiggrin: