PDA

View Full Version : (PF) The Druid and Wild Shape

Souhiro
2011-01-27, 03:36 AM
Hello there.

I have a little question to ask about a rule that can be... too exploited and ruin my brand-new campaign. I'm GMing and recently a player made a druid. I never player nor GM-ed with one.

The druid goes "Wild Shape", his favourites are rinoceros and cocodrile, but i find a bit overpowered, when the puny elf gains insane bonus to STR, CON, and goes into "Powerful Charge" and "Death Rolls".

So, Is that correct? The druid gains the physical attributes of the new form, according to the bestiary, the natural attacks, and the special? (The EX ones, not SU nor SL)

Thanks.
See you!

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-01-27, 03:44 AM
It gains (Ex) special attacks but not (Ex) special qualities. The caster gets the new STR and DEX but keeps his CON if I recall correctly. I'm not sure what "death rolls" are, but if you're talking about death by massive damage, that has to be from one hit, and it's a stupid rule that I'd recommend getting rid of anyway.

To answer your main question, yes, Wild Shape is overpowered, by virtue of Polymorph being overpowered. Druids, in general, are overpowered. At least your player hasn't brought out the Fleshraker Dinosaur.

Serves me right for glossing over the title.

Kamai
2011-01-27, 03:45 AM
This was only the case in 3.5. Pathfinder's Wild Shape gives specific spells, the Beast Shape line, the Elemental Shape line, and the Plant Shape line, which outlay exactly the stat boosts gained and what special qualities are gained. I would advise looking specifically at those spells.

MeeposFire
2011-01-27, 05:02 AM
This was only the case in 3.5. Pathfinder's Wild Shape gives specific spells, the Beast Shape line, the Elemental Shape line, and the Plant Shape line, which outlay exactly the stat boosts gained and what special qualities are gained. I would advise looking specifically at those spells.

By the way this has been one of the most difficult rules to find and follow in any version of a D&D compatible game I think ever. At least for my friend anyway.

Souhiro
2011-01-27, 01:33 PM
Okay, thanks for the Help.

Since someone cand find this via Google, I will left here what I found in the Paizo messageboards, Faq and etc, and nobody will need to search more :)

- Wild Shape is like Beast/Elemental/Plant Shape, which follows the rules to all Transmutation (Polymorph) Spells.
- Polymorph spells DON'T grant you any STR, CON or DEX bonus, but it can alter your size, giving you size bonus.
- You can gain the senses and special movement of your new form (Fly, Swim, Burrow...).
- You can gain the attacks and special attacks or abilities of your new form, but that will depend of the level of the spell the level of your druid wildshaping

4th Level
Animal: climb 30 feet, fly 30 feet (average maneuverability), swim 30 feet, darkvision 60 feet, low-light vision, and scent.
6th level
Animal: climb 60 feet, fly 60 feet (good maneuverability), swim 60 feet, darkvision 60 feet, low-light vision, scent, grab, pounce, and trip.
Elemental: Depends of every elemental type
8th level
Animal: burrow 30 feet, climb 90 feet, fly 90 feet (good maneuverability), swim 90 feet, blindsense 30 feet, darkvision 60 feet, low-light vision, scent, constrict, ferocity, grab, jet, poison, pounce, rake, trample, trip, and web.
Elemental: Depends of every elemental type
Plant: darkvision 60 feet, low-light vision, constrict, grab, and poison. Minium speed of 5ft.
10th level
Animal: Same as 8th Level
Elemental: Same as 8th Level.
Plant:Same as 8th Level, plus: energy resistance 20 to any invulnerability of the plant. Vulnerability, as the plants.
12th level
Animal: Same as 8th Level
Elemental: Same as 8th Level.
Plant: Same as 10th Level, plus Damage Reduction, regeneration 5, and trample.

- You will NOT get the creature's Natural Armor Bonus, but the Beast/Elemental/Plant Shape that the Spell will grants you, according the size and type of creature you want to assume.

Animal
Diminutive: +6 size bonus to DEX, -4 to STR, +1 natural armor bonus.
Tiny: +4 size bonus to DEX, -2 to STR, +1 to Natural Armor Bonus.
Small: +2 size bonus to DEX, +1 to Natural Armor Bonus
Medium: +2 size bonus to STR, +2 to Natural Armor Bonus
Large:+4 size bonus to STR, -2 to DEX, +4 Natural Armor Bonus
Huge:+6 size bonus to STR, -4 to DEX, +6 Natural Armor Bonus

*Plant
Small: +2 size bonus to CON, +2 to Natural Armor Bonus
Medium: +2 size bonus to STR, +2 to Natural Armor Bonus
Large:+4 size bonus to STR, +2 to CON, +4 Natural Armor Bonus
Huge:+8 size bonus to STR, -2 to DEX, +4 to CON, +6 Natural Armor Bonus.