PDA

View Full Version : Breast plate of speed!

kikesp24
2011-01-27, 04:36 AM
So one of the players in our campaing is playing a fighter, we are lvl 8, he got a breast plate of speed +1, so he gets like +10AC... is this right? i mean... he found the speed efect in defenders of the faith... it cost like a +3 bonus, and gives him +4 HASTE bonus to AC... is this correct? or this thing got updated or somenthing like that?
thanks.!

KillianHawkeye
2011-01-27, 04:50 AM
That is right if you are playing a 3.0 game.

If you are playing 3.5, then you should be using the updated version of the Speed enchantment found on page 14 of the Magic Item Compendium (which grants a haste (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/haste.htm) effect for 1 round 3 times a day, for 6,000 gp).

Alleine
2011-01-27, 04:54 AM
Yes, that is correct. However the Speed enchantment also gives the wearer a 'partial action' - something which does not quite exist in 3.5.

As far as I can tell it has not been updated in any 3.5 book, but if it was then it would act more along the lines of the 3.5 haste spell. It is partially replicated in the Speed enchantment for weapons. You may ask the DM to look at it and update it to 3.5 manually as there is no 'haste' bonus in 3.5. A dodge bonus would be more appropriate.

EDIT: darn, too slow :P

kamikasei
2011-01-27, 04:55 AM
Defenders of the Faith is 3.0, so if you're playing 3.5 there are likely to be incompatibilities, though I don't know if that specific enchantment was updated anywhere. However, what you describe is a +1 breastplate with a +3 enchantment, which should be priced equivalently to a +4 breastplate. Yet it acts like a +5 breastplate (except, I guess, that you can lose the bonus if you're caught flat-footed). Is there an additional restriction, say, that you have to activate the haste effect? If not, perhaps the flat-footed issue is considered enough to balance getting an effective +4 for the cost of a +3... but that should still cost a total of 16,350 gp, over half an eight-level character's standard wealth. Is it possible he or the DM priced it incorrectly?

kikesp24
2011-01-27, 05:05 AM
hmmm well i guess i will have to work something out then, cause yeah.. we are playing 3.5.. maybe i can tell him that it was a relic that has been in my family for decades maybe it's "cursed" but no one else could control the spirits bound to it.... still it cost in 3.5 rules 350+9000+1000 it cost 10350gp.. 1/3 the character welth..

kamikasei
2011-01-27, 05:10 AM
hmmm well i guess i will have to work something out then, cause yeah.. we are playing 3.5.. maybe i can tell him that it was a relic that has been in my family for decades maybe it's "cursed" but no one else could control the spirits bound to it.... still it cost in 3.5 rules 350+9000+1000 it cost 10350gp.. 1/3 the character welth..
I think you're misunderstanding the magic item guidelines. A +x weapon or armor with a +y-equivalent enchantment doesn't cost "weapon, +x, +y". It costs "+(x+y) weapon". You're not paying separately for a +1 bonus (1000 gp) and a +3 enchantment (9000gp), you're paying a combined price for the +4-equivalent that it is (16000gp).

(Note that there are other enchantments which just add a flat amount on to the cost. They have a gold price listed.)

Also: now it sounds like the player is you...?

MeeposFire
2011-01-27, 05:18 AM
You should tell him that since the haste spell changed he has to use the current haste effect which is only a +1 to ac rather than +4 (assuming you let the player keep it mostly as is).

kikesp24
2011-01-27, 05:28 AM
I think you're misunderstanding the magic item guidelines. A +x weapon or armor with a +y-equivalent enchantment doesn't cost "weapon, +x, +y". It costs "+(x+y) weapon". You're not paying separately for a +1 bonus (1000 gp) and a +3 enchantment (9000gp), you're paying a combined price for the +4-equivalent that it is (16000gp).

(Note that there are other enchantments which just add a flat amount on to the cost. They have a gold price listed.)

Also: now it sounds like the player is you...?

he is here.. but he didn't make the first post. XD... o i see so he's paying for a +4 OUCH... well that changes a lot of things.. so maybe.. a +3 breastplate (+7AC).

kikesp24
2011-01-27, 05:37 AM
Ok so... this is the thing.. (i'm the one who it's playing this character)
It's a Drow (no LA) Fighter5/kensai3 aparently i made this all wrong jaja
i was buying:
Breast plate of speed+1
Jovar +1 Keen (at 3rd level the kensai can add a +3 bonsu to the signature weapon right? so it will be a +2 collision jovar keen)
Animated tower shield +1
Amulet of NA+2
32 points to buy stats.
16 STR +2 (lvl 4 y 8) 14DEX+2 Drow 14 CON-2DROW 14INT+2 DROW 12 8
18STR 16DEX 12CON 16INT 12WIS 8CHA

sinse it won't work that way... can anyone help me with the build?
maybe some race.. i chosed drow not so much for the race but instead for the rol. he was a body guard of a high cleric of Lolth.. Blablablabla

kamikasei
2011-01-27, 05:45 AM
(First off, you'd probably better get your own account. There's a one-person-one-account rule.)

If you're playing with a mix of 3.0 and 3.5 material and no-LA drow, you'd probably better just lay out all the houserules at the start so that people can usefully advise you.

Also: what do you actually want from the character? No point getting advice on how to play a totally awesome build that doesn't do what you want.

Dr Pavo
2011-01-27, 06:04 AM
Ok so here i'm with my new account.. thxs for the advice... what i'm looking forward is a front line melee combatant, lots of damage high critical chance, and high armor class... i always play the high dexterity type of character but i'm thinking about a change.. cause you know. new campaing new DM.. new combat style.. i think we are playing just 3.5 no 3.0 material that was just a mistake that i made.. as i said the drow it's no lvl adjustment>

The Drow

Drow characters are popular choices for players who like to play evil characters, as well as for those who enjoy scimitar-wielding, misunderstood outcasts. This racial class offers a set of base racial abilities plus two racial levels.

Drow Base Racial Features

All of the following are base racial abilities for the drow.

Ability Score Adjustments: +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence.

Size: Drow are Medium size.

Speed: Drow base land speed is 30 feet.

Proficiencies: A drow is proficient with the hand crossbow, rapier, and short sword.

Dancing Lights (Sp): A drow may use dancing lights (caster level equals drow's character level) once per day.

Darkvision (Ex): A drow has darkvision to a 60-foot range.

Immunities (Ex): A drow is immune to magic sleep effects.

Light Blindness (Ex): Abrupt exposure to bright light (such as sunlight or a daylight spell) blinds a drow for 1 round. On subsequent rounds, he is dazzled as long as he remains in the affected area.

Skill Bonuses: A drow has a +2 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks. Furthermore, a drow who merely passes within 5 feet of a secret or concealed door is entitled to a Search check to notice it as if he were actively looking for it.

*not taking lvls*

Table SP-20: The Drow Racial Class
Level CR Special
1st +1 Darkvision 120 ft., faerie fire, spell resisance (5 + character level)
2nd +1 Cha +2, darkness, saving throw bonuses, spell resistance (11 + character level

so as i said... i don't mind about the drow.. it was just for the fun of it so im open to new ideas about races.