PDA

View Full Version : Sandbox World Generator

Yahzi
2011-01-27, 07:31 AM
I wrote a program to generate hex maps (with nations and random encounters) for 3.0. The idea is that you can use the maps for inspiration or a pure sandbox world.

I think the program is ready for some testing and input. If you are interested, please send me a PM.

EDIT: I'm getting reports that it runs without any difficulty, so if you can edit a text file and double-click an icon, you can use this program.

hamlet
2011-01-27, 08:21 AM
It sounds like an interesting idea, but prohibitive for the non-tech-type-geeks in the area.

If you can package it into it's own application that even an idiot can work, it'd be more useful.:smallcool:

Ozreth
2011-01-27, 12:15 PM
I'm interested but agree with the above.

jseah
2011-01-27, 02:44 PM
I'm interested, and I've made my own programs before so I should be able to operate stuff. (basic ones only I'm afraid)

Instructions would be better than me trying to remember it again though. I'm a biologist now so >.>

Yahzi
2011-01-27, 07:34 PM
It sounds like an interesting idea, but prohibitive for the non-tech-type-geeks in the area.

If you can package it into it's own application that even an idiot can work, it'd be more useful.:smallcool:
Ack! I guess I oversold the difficulty. It's actually quite easy: you edit a text file to set up the parameters and then double-click the program icon. Everything else is automatic.

What I was trying to say is that it might not run when you do that; and the solution is to download Visual C++ Express. However, it might run just fine, in which case it's very easy.

Send me a PM with your email address (that goes for everybody) and I'll send you the program (it's only 57K). If it doesn't work, no harm done.

Here's what you get (so you can see how simple it is):

Sandboxworld.exe
Config.txt
SymbolsSmall.bmp
SymbolsLarge.bmp

hamlet
2011-01-28, 08:20 AM
Dude, you're talking to a guy with a degree in literature who only knows about such concepts as "compilers," "Visual C++" and "Parameters" because he happens to work with software engineers now.

I don't know the first thing about doing this sort of task, and a set of instructions wouldn't help me.

I'm virtually computer illiterate.

jseah
2011-01-30, 06:05 AM
All right, I ran it once, without changing anything in the configs.

It appears to generate a map that goes down, and down, and down. B attaches under A and C attaches under B.

Does it generate 2D maps? Or perhaps I'm getting the wrong idea here. =/

Yahzi
2011-01-31, 12:35 AM
It appears to generate a map that goes down, and down, and down. B attaches under A and C attaches under B.

You left the X and Y coords random, so it generated something between 10-300 wide and 10-300 tall. Obviously in your case, it was mostly tall. :smallbiggrin:

The idea of the different files is so you can print them. If you set the PAGEROW and PAGECOL values to 300, then the whole map will be in one .bmp file (albeit possibly a very large file).

Yahzi
2011-01-31, 12:41 AM
Dude, you're talking to a guy with a degree in literature who only knows about such concepts as "compilers," "Visual C++" and "Parameters" because he happens to work with software engineers now.

I don't know the first thing about doing this sort of task, and a set of instructions wouldn't help me.

I'm virtually computer illiterate.
No, no, it's really easy.

You edit Config.sys with something like Notepad. Then you doubleclick SandboxWorld.exe. It produces a text file with encounters and one or more .bmp files that are the maps. (I would post a sample map here but I can't figure out how to post images on this BBS. We are all, in some area, computer illiterate :D )

The only reason I even mentioned Visual C++ is because Microsoft may or may not have put the proper libraries on your system. Downloading and installing the free Visual C++ studio puts the right libraries on; you never have to actually run Visual C++ (in fact you I think you can even immediately delete it).

There's a 50/50 chance that my little executable will run just fine without you doing anything (like it did for jseah). So you can always try it, and if it doesn't work, meh. It's only a 57K email.

KillianHawkeye
2011-01-31, 02:26 PM
You edit Config.sys with something like Notepad.

I think you mean the Config.txt file? Config.sys should probably not be edited by the computer illiterate. :smallbiggrin:

LansXero
2011-01-31, 02:46 PM
Im interested in this as well, I will PM you in a bit.

Chilingsworth
2011-01-31, 10:59 PM
Here's an image hosting site. (http://imageshack.us/)

Once you have your bmp. you host it on a site like this one. Then, you'll be given a link to that image. You then link the image to a post on this thread, using the hyperlink button (looks like a little globe with an infinity sign next to it.) That's about the maximum extent of my current computer literacy, hope it helps. I'd really like to see a sample map from this program! Also, a copy of one of the encounter tables.

EDIT: Also, probably a good idea to put your image link (and/or encounter table) in [spoiler] tags.

Yahzi
2011-02-01, 08:08 AM
I think you mean the Config.txt file? Config.sys should probably not be edited by the computer illiterate. :smallbiggrin:
Argh! Shades of DOS!

Yes of course. Doh!

Here's an image hosting site.
Thanks, but I couldn't get that to work (which is amazing, since it has all of 3 buttons).

I just put a quick sample on my blog, so you click here to see it:

http://mcplanck.blogspot.com/2011/02/sandbox-world.html

NOTE: Editing the config.txt file in Microsoft Excel might be a lot easier to deal with. It will keep everything in columns for you.

That's using the large icon symbols, which take up more space but look better than the little ones.

PetterTomBos
2011-02-18, 03:14 AM
No, no, it's really easy.
The only reason I even mentioned Visual C++ is because Microsoft may or may not have put the proper libraries on your system. Downloading and installing the free Visual C++ studio puts the right libraries on; you never have to actually run Visual C++ (in fact you I think you can even immediately delete it).

There's a 50/50 chance that my little executable will run just fine without you doing anything (like it did for jseah). So you can always try it, and if it doesn't work, meh. It's only a 57K email.

I'm currently using code:blocks on this computer, would that be enough? I haven't had much time to look at it lately tho :/

Will the program be able to make maps with some pre-made stats? (Like : I know that my area has a huge forest in the middle)

Zuljita
2011-02-18, 09:13 AM
I'm also interested in seeing this work, I sent you a PM re: Gnoll bait... wanna just include the world builder when ya email me?

Yahzi
2011-02-18, 07:17 PM
Will the program be able to make maps with some pre-made stats? (Like : I know that my area has a huge forest in the middle)
Sadly, no. I have no idea how to set that up.

The good news if you set elevation to a medium level and the hydration to a high level, it will make a lot of forests.