PDA

View Full Version : Best bonuses to movement speed?

RndmNumGen
2011-01-27, 10:50 AM
I'm working on a character concept, with the overall goal of the character to be very mobile and EXTREMELY fast. Ludicrously so. I know both Barbarian and Monk have a form of fast movement, and then there are the Boots of the Acrobat in MIC... and I guess Hustle from XPH. I'm sure there must be a ton of other stuff though, right?

Any WotC books are allowed, but no Dragon Magazine.

Devmaar
2011-01-27, 12:13 PM
Be a Xeph (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicRaces.htm#xephs)

Noneoyabizzness
2011-01-27, 12:16 PM
scout too if you want to go barb scout and have a lot of movement additions. f you are going to do a mobility sping attack build scout barb will be awesome

Devmaar
2011-01-27, 12:28 PM
Since you mentioned Hustle I guess extra move actions is good too? Check out Travel Devotion, move as a swift action, costs Turn Undead attempts to use more than 1/day.

Mordokai
2011-01-27, 12:32 PM
Taking a Quick trait increases your speed for ten feet, at cost of one hit point per level/hit dice, including your first one.

RndmNumGen
2011-01-27, 01:15 PM
All look like good ideas! Does Scout's Fast Movement stack with the Barbarian's?

Devmaar
2011-01-27, 01:34 PM
Barbarian Speed Bonus is untyped, it stacks with everything

dextercorvia
2011-01-27, 01:40 PM
All look like good ideas! Does Scout's Fast Movement stack with the Barbarian's?

Yes, they are different bonus types. (IIRC, Monk and Scout wouldn't stack though) Fist of the Forest gets one that explicitly stacks with others.

Cleric Dip gets you Travel and Celerity -- you can pick up Travel Devotion and the Celerity Domain ability is +10' base land speed. -- If you don't want to dip Cleric, you can get Celerity from Planar Touchstone.

Swift Expeditious Retreat gets you +30' for one Round. If you are trying to keep fullish BAB, Duskblade get's this one.

Dusklings have a base land speed of 30, but get +5'/ess. and come with a point of essentia.

So, a Quick Duskling WSRanger1/SLTBarb2/Duskblade1/FistoftheForest1/Scout3

with Planar Touchstone:Catalogs of Enlightenment:Celerity

would have a land speed of 85', boostable to 115' as a swift action.

Edit:

Barbarian Speed Bonus is untyped, it stacks with everything

Except Wildshape Ranger Fast Movement, since it is the same type and same source in that case.

Edit Edit: Forgot the Quick Trait, adding it in now.

TroubleBrewing
2011-01-27, 01:43 PM
Be a Centaur or a Bariaur, too. Start off with a base movement rate of 50' or 40', with the above enhancements you'd end up with 85-125'.

Scarlet-Devil
2011-01-27, 01:56 PM
Be a Centaur or a Bariaur, too. Start off with a base movement rate of 50' or 40', with the above enhancements you'd end up with 85-125'.

Do Bariaurs have a level adjustment? If you're going to use a level adjustment then Catfolk (RotW, 40 ft.) is probably better for +1, or you could take Shadow (LoM) for +2, which multiplies your speed by 1.5.

There's also the forgotten realms first level feat, Fleet of Foot I think, that increases your speed by another 10 feet, and the celerity domain for clerics.

Edit: Whoops, ninja'd on celerity :smallsigh:.

Edit: Also, a Belt of Battle could be used for 3 extra move actions per day.

Ernir
2011-01-27, 02:00 PM
I'm working on a character concept, with the overall goal of the character to be very mobile and EXTREMELY fast.

How do you envision this character fighting?

Because, you know, spellcasters can get pretty ridiculously fast. Especially with Polymorph effects involved.

dextercorvia
2011-01-27, 02:03 PM
Indeed, Fleet of Foot is in PGF. It's a regional feat available to certain elves half-elves and humans.

It doesn't work with Duskling, though, and they can eventully get more if you take an incarnum class that grants essentia, or Bonus Essentia as a feat.

RndmNumGen
2011-01-27, 04:29 PM
How do you envision this character fighting?

Because, you know, spellcasters can get pretty ridiculously fast. Especially with Polymorph effects involved.

Hit and run attacks, mostly. I don't mind some spellcaster dips, but I don't want to do a full caster.

Indeed, Fleet of Foot is in PGF. It's a regional feat available to certain elves half-elves and humans.

It doesn't work with Duskling, though, and they can eventully get more if you take an incarnum class that grants essentia, or Bonus Essentia as a feat.

PGF? What's that?

I think I prefer Xeph over Centaur, though I don't know anything about dusklings or essentia. What are they from?

Devmaar
2011-01-27, 04:35 PM
Hit and run attacks, mostly. I don't mind some spellcaster dips, but I don't want to do a full caster. As mentioned, a level of Cloistered Cleric with Travel Devotion is probably your best bet here

PGF? What's that? Players Guide To Faerun iirc

I think I prefer Xeph over Centaur, though I don't know anything about dusklings or essentia. What are they from? Magic of Incarnum
white-text

MeeposFire
2011-02-04, 03:36 AM
Well to get the most speed you would use a variant of Chuck E cheese

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5788.0

In terms of speed this is what you get

"Full Run
1104 x greater celerity(run speed = 5,760,700 ft) = 6,359,812,800 ft = 1,223,040.92 miles.

The circumference of the earth at the equator is 24,902 mi, so Chuck moves 49.1 times around the Earth.

Average Speed (feet per second)
6,354,052,100 ft / 6 sec = 1,059,008,683 ft/sec

The speed of light is 299,792,428 m/sec or 983,571,056 feet per second.

So Chuck moves faster than the speed of light!"

And damage is

75.6 Quadrillion Damage

Of course you should not use the entire build as it is way to OP for virtually any campaign but it has many ways you could improve your speed.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-02-04, 03:49 AM
wow. thats new to me. talk about absurd.

holywhippet
2011-02-04, 05:39 AM
Boots of Striding and Springing - they were better in 3.0 when they doubled your speed.

Tenebris
2011-02-04, 05:47 AM
5th level:
Be a dragonwrought kobold. Alter self into brass dragon wyrmling. Take Improved Maneuverability and Air Heritage feats. Congratulations, you have a fly speed 180 ft., good maneuverability.
If the loredrake is allowed, this one should work on a 3rd level.

12th level:
At this point your Phantom Steed (spell) reaches its full speed potential (240 ft.). At the 14th level it can also fly.

One more:
The Draconic flight invocation allows you to fly with your land speed. Use all previously mentioned tricks. Some of them will apply both to your land and fly speed, so in fact it's double effect on your fly speed. Plus once again the Air Heritage feat (30 ft. to your fly speed).