PDA

View Full Version : Clothing Style Types?

The Vorpal Tribble
2011-01-27, 11:59 AM
Ok, I've never been a 'style' guy. I like my aesthetics (my place is pretty well done if I say so myself)... except when it comes to clothing. Never gave a crap unless it was a costume.

However, then someone was talking to me about 'one of those abercrombies' and I'm like, what the crap is an 'Abercrombie'? Apparently it's a style type. I looked it up and cracked up.

My second eldest sister doesn't generally buy name brand or anything, but her style is like total 'abercrombie'. Skinny jeans, tight t-shirt of that kind, no jewelry. Just completely looks like one of those right out of the magazine (well, those that are dressed).

Then I have my eldest sister who is the opposite. She almost never wears anything but what I call 'cutesie' dresses, and always has on an assortment of jewelry. Feels naked if doesn't have on at least earrings and a necklace. Chic-style maybe?

Out of sheer curiosity, is there like somewhere that lists 'styles'? I mean, there are the obvious styles like punk, grunge, emo, etc, but what else?

Unless going to a really fancy place, I'm typically sandals, cargo shorts and a t-shirt/tank (hawaiin over-shirt optional) 9 months out of the year. Other three months sports pants and a t-shirt with sneakers.

Is this some kind of 'labeled' style? :smallconfused:

DrizztFan24
2011-01-27, 02:39 PM
Is this some kind of 'labeled' style? :smallconfused:

Yeah, I think it is called comfortable. :smallwink:

Elfin
2011-01-27, 02:44 PM

This is why I do not get fashion.

The Vorpal Tribble
2011-01-27, 02:56 PM
That works for me :smallbiggrin:

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-27, 03:00 PM

Comfortable is subjective, for some it will be a more relaxed styles, others (like me) need a certain piece of clothing to feel right.

As for me, I hate jeans, I can't wear them, they burn me. I never were shorts and bermudas are rare for me. Sandals are also another article I haven't worn since I was 5.

As for a list:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090615163035AAVlSrl

Djinn_in_Tonic
2011-01-27, 03:43 PM
Comfortable is subjective, for some it will be a more relaxed styles, others (like me) need a certain piece of clothing to feel right.

Yep. I, for one, feel most comfortable in a closely-cut vest, dress shirt with the sleeves rolled up, and a pair of extra-wide cut swing dance appropriate dress slacks. But then again, I'm a bit of a strange bird. :smallbiggrin:

Coplantor
2011-01-27, 03:50 PM
I cant wear anything other than jeans. I find T shirts to be quite comfortable and someties I might wear a regular cotton shirt over the t shirt.

I cant wear shorts, I dont like them. Dont know why.

CrimsonAngel
2011-01-27, 03:55 PM
Hipster emo? :smallredface: Skinny jeans are actually more comfortable than I had thought when I was younger.

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-27, 04:22 PM
Yep. I, for one, feel most comfortable in a closely-cut vest, dress shirt with the sleeves rolled up, and a pair of extra-wide cut swing dance appropriate dress slacks. But then again, I'm a bit of a strange bird. :smallbiggrin:

From the waist up you dress exactly like me.

Partof1
2011-01-27, 04:25 PM
I just go jeans and t shirt, with my hoodie or a partly zipped sweater, whatever you wanna call those, mostly regardless the weather.

I don't know if you'd wanna call this anything.

MoonCat
2011-01-27, 04:34 PM

For me comfortable is very loose clothes, like skirts or skirt pants (jeans are the devil), and a t-shirt on top, preferably with a suitably geeky image. Black features heavily in my wardrobe for its practicality and being a favored color of mine(it goes with pretty much anything as well). Here are my three favorite outfits :

Loose black pants with black t-shirt saying (in white letters) "the cake is a lie"

Loose black pants with black t-shirt saying (in white/silver with some red streaks around the letters) "Nanda" (imagine four (cute) guys being real life ninjas with comedy and a good soundtrack)

Loose black pant with a black t-shirt saying (in white letters) a Monty Python quote in Greek (long story)

It appears there is a pattern to my style. :smalltongue:

CynicalAvocado
2011-01-27, 05:22 PM
if you see me 9 times out of 10 i will be wearing my patchwork jeans, toms or boots, and a loose fitting long sleeve shirt or hoodie with one sleeve rolled up

Elfin
2011-01-27, 05:26 PM
Me, I'm mostly just jeans and a t-shirt, often with hoodies.

Don Julio Anejo
2011-01-27, 05:30 PM
I'm a fashion whore. And I mean "casual high fashion" (think Justin Timberlake), not what's trendy at the moment.

The Vorpal Tribble
2011-01-27, 06:24 PM
I don't seem to be built for jeans. Never fit me right about the crotch. Ever. As such, they are always restrictive and nearly bust my manly parts if I move. I'm a flexible guy, and they don't bend well with me. I'd wear shorts year round if it stayed warm enough. Least I got the calves for them :smallbiggrin:

Now you hoodie folks... I tend to wear a hoodie instead of a jacket. Because it's cold.
Unless its winter, why are you wearing long-sleeved stuff? Do you not sweat? I see folk all the time in summer wearing that stuff and looking miserable.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2011-01-27, 07:02 PM
Personally, I've always tried to stick to "fabulous" and "gauche" as catch-all terms. In example, sweater-vests-and-coffee-stains-emo is just another way of saying "fabulous," while I-can't-see-on-the-left-side-mismatched-converse emo is another way of saying "gauche."

Similarly with Siouxsie-Sioux "goths" and Slipknot "goths", respectively; fabulous and gauche.

Fabulous is spelled properly only in italics.

KuReshtin
2011-01-27, 07:12 PM
I wear slacks or shorts and T-shirts.

I do like my printed T-shirts, though, so I tend to have cartoon characters and other similar prints on my T-shirts.
My reasoning is that if they didn't want a grown man wearing a T-shirt with a Mr. Men (http://daddytypes.com/archive/mr_men_grid.jpg) print, or Animal from the Muppet Show, then they shouldn't make T-shirts with those prints in sizes that fit me. :smallbiggrin:

In the winter, when it gets a bit too chilly to walk around in just a T-shirt, I have a hoodie jacket. I get too hot with any more than that.

CynicalAvocado
2011-01-27, 07:18 PM
I don't seem to be built for jeans. Never fit me right about the crotch. Ever. As such, they are always restrictive and nearly bust my manly parts if I move. I'm a flexible guy, and they don't bend well with me. I'd wear shorts year round if it stayed warm enough. Least I got the calves for them :smallbiggrin:

Now you hoodie folks... I tend to wear a hoodie instead of a jacket. Because it's cold.
Unless its winter, why are you wearing long-sleeved stuff? Do you not sweat? I see folk all the time in summer wearing that stuff and looking miserable.

sleeve rolled up

drakir_nosslin
2011-01-27, 07:19 PM
I wear chinos, shirts, polo shirts or suits most of the time. Sometimes chinos and a nice T-shirt.

Nameless
2011-01-27, 07:29 PM
Most of my wardrobe is either has Visual Kei, Cybergoth and Trad Goth stuff. I also have a selection of band shirts, leather jackets, other tops and skinny jeans for uni when I can't be arsed to pick an outfit. Seriously, I am not waking up earlier then half 7 just to get ready for uni. :smallannoyed:

Knaight
2011-01-27, 07:30 PM
I pretty much stick to loose slacks in varying shades of brown and gray, and monochrome shirts, with long sleeves unless its the summer. Then add in a monochrome coat in some sort of dull brown-green or gray.

This clothing style can be adequately described as boring.

druid91
2011-01-27, 08:18 PM

Well. Because people seeing more of me than my hands and face bothers me more than the very slight extra warmth long sleeves causes.

But I'm strange. And am equally comfortable inside the turbine building of a nuclear reactor, (IIRC the guide said that it was 100+ degrees, Very humid) And taking a nap in the snow.

Jack Squat
2011-01-27, 08:23 PM
I suppose according to that list, I dress 'casual'. Boots, loose-fitting jeans (not falling-off-the-hips loose, but not David Bowie cut either), T-shirt - either plain or simple print -, long sleeve shirt or jacket - open and sleeves rolled/bunched up -, baseball cap, knife, flashlight, duct tape, and a phillips screwdriver.

Malfunctioned
2011-01-27, 08:30 PM
I pretty much wear jeans the whole year round, both skinny and baggy, I generally wear t-shirts and a hoodie and/or jacket with a heavy black coat on top.

I do have some gothic stuff as well, mainly my Raven SDL shirt covered in buckles. Because I love buckles. Like immensely.

Mmmmm....buckles.

I also always wear my big black combat boots with neon green laces. I actually extremely rarely ever wear any other kind of shoes to the extent that I had actually don't know where any of my others are.

I don't know if they count but I also have my glasses, they're thick-rimmed and big. I like them even if they do make me look like Rivers Cuomo.

CynicalAvocado
2011-01-27, 08:36 PM
I pretty much wear jeans the whole year round, both skinny and baggy, I generally wear t-shirts and a hoodie and/or jacket with a heavy black coat on top.

I do have some gothic stuff as well, mainly my Raven SDL shirt covered in buckles. Because I love buckles. Like immensely.

Mmmmm....buckles.

I also always wear my big black combat boots with neon green laces. I actually extremely rarely ever wear any other kind of shoes to the extent that I had actually don't know where any of my others are.

I don't know if they count but I also have my glasses, they're thick-rimmed and big. I like them even if they do make me look like Rivers Cuomo.

buckles are fun. and jingly

Malfunctioned
2011-01-27, 08:38 PM
buckles are fun. and jingly

They so are.

That reminds me. I also have the Badgejacket.

It's a hoodie I have that I've decided to attempt to totally cover in badges. So far I've got up to 64 and it makes it impossible for me to sneak up on people.

The Vorpal Tribble
2011-01-27, 08:41 PM
Ugh, always hated belts period, and jangly... anything.

*blechs and twitches*

Well. Because people seeing more of me than my hands and face bothers me more than the very slight extra warmth long sleeves causes.
This awakes in me a desire to run down the street in July, pulling back the hoods of every one I meet.

FEEL THE SUNLIGHT IN YOUR HAIR!

ForzaFiori
2011-01-27, 08:41 PM
I tend to wear jeans or shorts (depending on weather), a t-shirt (always with print or a design), hoodie or jacket if cold, and my fedora. Sandals or tennis shoes in the summer, tennis shoes in the winter. All of it I either received free, or got at some place like Wal-Mart.

I dress "cheep". Part of being a college student.

CynicalAvocado
2011-01-27, 08:43 PM
They so are.

That reminds me. I also have the Badgejacket.

It's a hoodie I have that I've decided to attempt to totally cover in badges. So far I've got up to 64 and it makes it impossible for me to sneak up on people.

once i take the dog collar off my jeans and put my necklace in my shirt i'm a damn ninja

druid91
2011-01-27, 08:52 PM
Ugh, always hated belts period, and jangly... anything.

*blechs and twitches*

This awakes in me a desire to run down the street in July, pulling back the hoods of every one I meet.

FEEL THE SUNLIGHT IN YOUR HAIR!

I don't wear the hood up! That would block my view and then I'd get paranoid!:smallbiggrin:

Marillion
2011-01-27, 09:05 PM
Personally, I've always tried to stick to "fabulous" and "gauche" as catch-all terms. In example, sweater-vests-and-coffee-stains-emo is just another way of saying "fabulous," while I-can't-see-on-the-left-side-mismatched-converse emo is another way of saying "gauche."

Similarly with Siouxsie-Sioux "goths" and Slipknot "goths", respectively; fabulous and gauche.

Fabulous is spelled properly only in italics.

I approve of this viewpoint and have decided to adopt it.

CynicalAvocado
2011-01-27, 09:17 PM
I don't wear the hood up! That would block my view and then I'd get paranoid!:smallbiggrin:

same here. i only wear the hood up when i'm in one of my "preoccupied" moods

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2011-01-28, 02:46 PM
Of course there are different types of clothing. Black tie, white tie, morning dress, lounge suit...
If you can't tell, I usually dress quite formally. Apparently I "rock the Dickensian look". :smalltongue:

Castaras
2011-01-28, 03:35 PM
Jeans and T-shirt, with either a hoodie or a jackety thing if it's cold. With coat on top when outside. Think that counts as Comfortable. :smallamused:

Eldan
2011-01-29, 05:16 PM
LEt's see.

First rule is cheap and comfortable.

That, for me, tends to include:
Long pants (I dislike shorts), but not jeans. Jeans are icky and they feel wrong.
Shirt with buttons, long or short sleeves. So much comfier than T-shirts. More space, cooler in summer...
Sandals in summer, soft leather shoes in winter. Unless there's more than about thirty centimeters of snow, then the hiking boots are coming out.

Also, mostly green, dark blue or black.

Edit: or a lab coat, of course. With various burn marks, acid holes, blood stains and unidentifiable brown, blue, red and green spots.

Traab
2011-01-29, 05:42 PM
My style is a beret that I wear as a speedo, a monocle and a cape. A look like that NEVER goes out of style!

CynicalAvocado
2011-01-29, 06:38 PM
My style is a beret that I wear as a speedo, a monocle and a cape. A look like that NEVER goes out of style!

the avocado demands an explanation

Marillion
2011-01-29, 10:25 PM
This about sums it up.

In one of his books, Terry Pratchett describes the Monks of Cool.

They spend twenty years as acolytes, learning what it is to be really cool. As their final test, they are led into a massive warehouse of all types of clothes, and are then asked what would be the coolest thing to wear. The correct answer, of course, is:

"Hey, man, whatever I throw on."

MoonCat
2011-01-29, 10:31 PM
In one of his books, Terry Pratchett describes the Monks of Cool.

They spend twenty years as acolytes, learning what it is to be really cool. As their final test, they are led into a massive warehouse of all types of clothes, and are then asked what would be the coolest thing to wear. The correct answer, of course, is:

"Hey, man, whatever I throw on."

The most inherently sexy fantasy race? Whatever race I happen to be playing that day.

OHnononono, it was Hey, whatever I select

Traab
2011-01-30, 12:30 AM
the avocado demands an explanation

Poke two leg holes into the beret and pull it up to my waist! Sexy AND stylish!

Moff Chumley
2011-01-30, 12:45 AM
Jeans, be they skinny or no. T-shirt, mostly acquired for free. Jacket, regardless of the weather. At least one article of plaid, or purple. Hopefully both. And Ozzy glasses.

It's the "I get dressed in the pitch-dark" look. :smallcool:

Lioness
2011-01-30, 01:12 AM

:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:
I approve. But, then again, I buy clothes depending on whether they'd be comfortable to do dance practise in.

I have a couple of styles...

Cargo pants and a tshirt/tank top is my more common...it's so comfy.
Black dress pants, a short sleeved shirt, and maybe a waistcoat is my next preference. I call it stylish...a nmber of my friends call it strange.
Other than that, jeans/denim shorts and a t-shirt is my default.

absolmorph
2011-01-30, 02:56 AM
My style?
I grab a shirt, occasionally digging below the top layer if I want a specific one.
I grab pants, either shorts or jeans (I prefer jeans).
My wardrobe is heavy on blue and brown. I end up slightly-off-monochrome in blue on a pretty regular basis.
Right before I head out, I'll usually put on a hat, and then a hoodie if the weather is right. My hat is typically either a grey driving cap or the hat from my Pokemon Trainer Red cosplay. Occasionally, I'll wear my fedora or jaunty cap. Or reversible Transformers beanie.
My notable shirts: a Thor shirt, "Trust me, I'm a Doctor" (with the Cat in the Hat on it), a Dai-Gurren Brigade shirt, two Star Wars shirts and a few flannel button-ups.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2011-01-30, 11:17 AM
...But, then again, I buy clothes depending on whether they'd be comfortable to do dance practise in.

As it should be. This, of course, begs the question of what dances, but this may not be the thread for that.

BayardSPSR
2011-01-30, 11:39 AM
Lemme start listing the things I loathe to wear: hoodies, shorts (my legs are very hairy), and anything open-toed (likewise for feet, plus where I live I'd have to wash my feet on a very regular basis [that's A Thing in Islam for a VERY good reason]). If it's not one of the 10/12 Hot months, I'll wear a long-sleeved T-shirt. If it's not of of the 8/12 Too Hot months, I'll sometimes wear a nice but cheap very dark blue or black linen jacket over whatever else. The rest of the year, a T-shirt, and even those feel like too much in the 6/12 AAAUUGH I'M BURNING months.

Oh, and pants. I wear those. Jeans or cargo pants, pretty much; all year round. I do often have trouble with pants with high rises (to the point of being unable to sit down or take large steps), but I'm usually able to weed those out of my wardrobe.

Colors vary. Used to wear 'em bright, but they've started to trend dark. There is a correlation with my being single again, but I claim no causation either way.

I also have an AWESOME hat that I got in New Zealand. I call him The Hat, and I wish I had excuses to wear him more often...

KerfuffleMach2
2011-01-31, 09:52 PM
Hmmm...My usual clothing depends on whether it's cold weather or warm weather.

Summer and stuff, I usually wear T-shirts and shorts. Usually the Dickies style shorts. The longer ones that go past your knees. They are acceptable at my work, so I just wear those all the time.

For colder weather, I'll go to either jeans or work pants. Dickies, again, cause dress pants will easily get destroyed at my work. When it gets really cold, I'll wear a long john shirt under the T-shirt. I'll sometimes wear a hoodie, if only for the convenience of the pockets.

I always wear a baseball cap. Work and home.

I don't really wear coats. Just cause I never get cold enough. Even though it can easily get to the single digits (F) around here in winter. I just have a high cold tolerance.

I usually wear sneakers. Except for work. Then I have to wear steel toed boots.

Dragor
2011-01-31, 10:08 PM
I'm really not fussed about my clothes, except when I go out. Then I dress to impress. Usually it's a band t-shirt (Led Zepp, Pink Floyd, Behemoth, what have you), a good pair of jeans and my trusty trainers, with my leather jacket. :smallsmile:

To me, my appearance personally is what matters. I pay a LOT of attention to my hair. (I really want dreds at the moment...)

Sneak
2011-01-31, 10:22 PM
In the winter, I'll wear either a plaid shirt or a long sleeve tee, usually with the sleeves rolled up. For outerwear I've got my plain black hoodie, my gray military-ish jacket, and my grey sweater. I'm not too big on bright colors in general, usually wear subdued blues and greens and such. And for my leg-garments, I've got either jeans or corduroys. Shoes are brown leather Converse-ish looking things.

In the summer, I wear either threadless-ish t-shirts or light casual button down shirts and either cargo shorts or jeans, occasionally athletic type shorts if I want to be really comfortable. And my attire during summer is often of a brighter hue than my usual. Also, I wear flip flops or go barefoot pretty much all summer.

There you have it, folks! How to look like the pinnacle of human evolution! Or a douche! Or something!

EDIT: I'm pretty vain so I like to look good even if I'm not really doing anything, but I'm also pretty lazy so I basically just throw on clothes that I think look good and leave it at that.

Barbin
2011-01-31, 10:38 PM
Jeans, any shirt or T-shirt and a scally cap? All set!

Geno9999
2011-01-31, 10:52 PM
I usually wear jeans and a polo on school days (part of the dress code.), and t-shirts on weekends. However, I used to wear hoodies almost religiously (They're very comfortable) and because it was a semi-loop hole (that was recently closed. /angst :smallannoyed:) in the dress code that hoods counted as a collar.

Em Blackleaf
2011-01-31, 11:02 PM
I do not know what to call my style...

I kind of admire vintage 40s-50s style clothing, but I can't find anything of that sort that's affordable, so I don't own any.

I like patterns a lot, mostly floral. Never animal print animal print makes me want to hit things. But yeah, usually flowy (if that's a legitimate adjective) material and earthy tones with little patterns that I deem not garish. Mostly blouses (by blouses I mean things that are not your average cotton t-shirts, yet not necessarily restricted to a button-up office-y shirt) and cardigans. It doesn't ever really get cold enough around here (it's a desert that someone said "Oh hey let's live here! Absolutely nothing could go wrong with living in a desert! What an amazing idea!" I'm pretty sure we personally offended William Howard Taft once too, so I guess we're important) to require anything more than a hoodie or sweater. Hoodies are things I wear too.

This is really hard to describe. :P

People think I like black which is weird, because I don't think I make that impression. But every time someone gives me clothes as a gift, black is involved (so now I DO wear a lot of black). Such a vicious cycle. /ramble

I really really like dresses and skirts, but I've been known to wear jeans when it's cold. For this reason, I regret not owning more stockings.

I don't really wear high heels because that would be weird at school, but when it's appropriate, heels are tonsa fun (for about five minutes and then I have to take them off). As for shoes I actually do wear, I've got sneakers, some flats, American Eagle loafers I'm really proud of (I got them at Payless on sale :P) and Ugg Boots that are way too comfortable to care about the stupidy of. I'm down to one pair of sandals, which is weird because I don't like not sandals very much.

Hmm, as for jewelery and make up (which aren't clothes), I tend toward the earth tones again. For lipstick, I tend toward berries and pinks. And blue is a big color for me (not with makeup!), in general, and not entirely on purpose. I guess blue just looks good on me.

In short, I don't have to put too much effort into my outfits, but I wear things besides just t-shirts and hoodies and jeans every single day (that works for a lot of people but not me, I've found).

I guess if I had to call it something, it'd be casualish bo-ho only the colors match and nothing fuzzy is involved. Usually.

That's not really calling it something. Oh well. :smalltongue:

I call my style "Em". c:

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2011-01-31, 11:08 PM
I look like a cowboy. The fabulous kind of cowboy, not the gauche kind.

arguskos
2011-01-31, 11:31 PM
Hmm. Visual style, you ask? Curious. Might as well think about it, I rarely do.

Lower Half: Boxers (:smalltongue:); as for socks, in the cold months I wear thick woolen socks and in the warm months I wear thin black dress socks (I have literally 40 pairs of them, might as well use them); when it comes to pants, I wear jeans (black or blue, either is good) or khakis, nothing else. I *never* wear shorts, unless you count swim trunks, the only occasion I will wear shorts for.

Upper Half: I have the world's largest collection of dress undershirts (yes, that's a category of clothing, it's entirely white cotton shirts :smalltongue:), so I usually wear one of those. What I wear over the base t-shirt (mostly solid bold colors, with a few specific designs I actually like) or dress undershirt varies. In the cold months, it's a microsuede sweater or a zip-up light jacket, with the sweater taking priority in the really cold months where I need to wear a serious coat over that (of which I have a very nice collection, worthy of discussion elsewhere). In the warm months, I wear an unclosed short sleeve button down, in one of a dozen awesome colors I have (all solid, no designs) or just the t-shirt.

Shoes: I wear one of two of leather shoes in the colder months, one pair of slip-on Uggs and one pair of more standard lace-up Ecco's, currently. In the warmer months, I wear exclusively sandals.

Accessories: Well, I wear glasses, so that's something. I have a variety of necklaces I wear as well (my favorite waffles between the Seal of Solomon and a Turkish silver chain). I also have a leather collar I wear on occasion, though that was more frequent when I didn't live at home. >_> I also wear my watch (http://ceasuridemana.ro/pictures/2009/06/05/swatch_48679.jpg) constantly (yes, that's Moonraker themed, it's totally awesome), though I don't shower with it (though it is water-resistant up to a reasonable depth).

Hats: I have a number of boss hats. That's... really all there is to say about that. :smallcool:

Total Outfits: I have no less than seven complete suits, of varying colors and cuts. My favorite is a lovely khaki I've got. I rarely get to wear them though, due to most being just a hair too small (a damn shame, if you ask me). I also have this (http://arguskos.deviantart.com/#/d31x5uf), which I guess counts, since I wear it as frequently as I can get away with (you can see the hats in the background, actually).

I... think that's about it. Don't think I missed anything major in my wardrobe. Well, maybe my ties. I've got a good number of those, for the suits don't you know.

MoonCat
2011-01-31, 11:47 PM
http://i.imgur.com/fHRsq.gifBlack is the one true color.http://i.imgur.com/KuYm8.png
In my opinion anyway, it's your choice, really.