PDA

View Full Version : Bestiary of Mechanus [3.5]

LOTRfan
2011-01-27, 01:19 PM
Currently, I am preparing a Mechanus-based adventure, and I was wondering what kind of creatures besides the obvious live on Mechanus? Of course Inevitables, Formians, and Modrons exist, nut what other creatures can be found in Mechanus?

I'm willing to look at homebrew, too.

Yuki Akuma
2011-01-27, 01:21 PM
Gear Spirits are likely suspects. All sorts of constructs. Petitioners.

LOTRfan
2011-01-27, 01:22 PM
Where can gear spirits be found?

Yuki Akuma
2011-01-27, 01:25 PM
I have absolutely no idea. But I know they exist!

As they can incarnate themselves into objects I guess you could use stats for animated objects?

Jair Barik
2011-01-27, 01:26 PM
As I recall there are some bonus Formian types in one MM (same for inevitables) and the Modrons have stats on wizards website (but I asume you already knew that). Other than that it is predominantly colonists from the prime materia, the nine hells and Celestia though Clockwork horrors and many other construct types are also thematically approriate.

LOTRfan
2011-01-27, 01:26 PM
Alright, makes sense. Thanks.

Zaydos
2011-01-27, 01:32 PM
There's an axial dragon from Dragon Magazine #321. Occasionally devils and archons can be found working there, but they aren't common. Humans, and other planar PC races, especially Guvners can also be found there. Umm... I don't have my Planescape Monstrous Compendiums with me so I can't be sure what all else used to live there and it would all be 2e anyway.

The axiomatic template from Manual of the Planes (and maybe the Planar Handbook) is their to create Mechanus versions of creatures from the Prime, especially animals but also hydras, bulette, and other monstrous creatures.

Constructs would also be a good way to go.

Jair Barik
2011-01-27, 01:34 PM
Your welcome. The manual of the planes is very good for that sort of thing.
looking through my monster manuals the 2 extra inevitables are in fiend folio as are 3 new formians (a flyer, a bruiser and a supporting formian), clockworks horrors are in MM2 as is the runic guardian, bronze serpent and automatons (all interesting enough constructs) plus Lords of madness has the elder eidolon, a template that can be applied to any creature to make it into a construct.

DragonITP
2015-05-01, 04:36 PM
You can also just put an effigy template on any creature, I think that would fit in quite nicely (it is from Complete Arcane)

Maglubiyet
2015-05-01, 09:28 PM
Here are two I've used for Mechanus. They weave mandala webs between the gears and cogs of the realm.

Basically I re-skinned two spider-like Forgotten Realms races (chitines from Underdark and choldrith from Monsters of Faerun) and added the Axiomatic Creature template.

These creatures are roughly humanoid, with a head, torso, and two legs, though they also have six spindly spider-like arms and eight pearlescent eyes. They use the extra joints in their many arms to help climb along walls and their webs. These webs are spun from a special gland in their belly. Their pale skin has a high sheen, like polished marble. Baraunsic stand around four feet tall.

Baraunsic clans spin their mandala webs in ever-increasing fractal patterns, which can eventually grow to stretch miles in diameter. The largest and oldest are rumored to extend hundreds of miles. Their role is to capture the occasional debris that falls or drifts between the vast cogs of Mechanus, much like the formians' duty to keep the land free of clutter. Due to the orderly nature of the realm, this debris is often caused by extraplanar visitors. The patterns of the webs also serve a spiritual role to the baraunsic, representing the perfection of Law.

They maintain cordial relations with other denizens of Mechanus, though they will not hesitate to ensnare and devour any other races who fall into their webs. When not at work spinning, they will often be found gazing at their mandala webs, meditating on the nature of Law. Baraunsic monks may occasionally travel the plane and live with other lawful races as students or teachers.

Baraunsic create magnificently-patterned clothing from their own silk. Their webbing can also be woven into special armor.

LN Small Monstrous Humanoid, Law
Init +1; Senses: Darkvision 60ft; Perception +5
Favored Class: Monk
——————————
DEFENSE
——————————
AC 14, touch 12, flat-footed 13 (+1 size, +1 Dex, +2 natural)
HP 13 (2d10+2)
Fort +1, Ref +4, Will +3
Resistances: Acid(5), Cold(5), Electricity(5)
SR: 5
——————————
OFFENSE
——————————
Speed 30 ft., Climb 30 ft.
Melee shortsword +3 (1d4+1/19-20,x2)
Ranged sling (ranged) +3 (1d3+1)
Special Attacks Grab (shortsword)
——————————
STATISTICS
——————————
STR 10, DEX 13, CON 12, INT 12, WIS 11, CHA 10
Base Attack +2; CMB +1 (+5 grapple); CMD 12 (16 vs. disarm)
Feats: Multiweapon Fighting
Skills: Acrobatics +3, Climb +13, Craft (Trapmaking) +2, Perception +5, Stealth +3; Racial Bonus: +8 Climb
Languages: Common, Law
SQ: Monstrous humanoid traits
——————————
SPECIAL ABILITIES
——————————
Smite Chaos (Ex): A baraunsic can add its HD to one attack per day vs a chaotic creature.
Spider Climb (Su): This creature can mirror the effects of a spider climb spell when succeeding a climb check.
———————————————————-
ECOLOGY
Environment: Mechanus
Organization: Lone traveler, 10 - 100 in mandala webs
CR: 2

Ba-lah are larger forms of baraunsic, who act as spiritual guides to the race. They appear as large white spiders with a humanoid head. Their skin and eight eyes are smooth and shine like polished marble. Their front pair of legs are multi-jointed humanoid arms and the bulk of their body is carried by their remaining six legs.

It is the Ba-lah that devise the intricate mandala patterns for the webs the baraunsic weave. They spin the base fractal design that a baraunsic clan will use as a kernel for their pattern for centuries to come. As such, they are treated with reverence by the race, who will defend them to the death.

They are always attended by baraunsic monks on their pilgrimages around Mechanus, inspecting the construction of webs and ensuring that the fractal patterns do not deviate from their planned designs. They act as ambassadors of their race to visitors from other planes, typically archons and devils.

LN Large Outsider, Law
Init +3; Senses Darkvision 60ft; Perception +3
Favored Class: Cleric
——————————
DEFENSE
——————————
AC 19, touch 12, flat-footed 16 (-1 size, +3 Dex, +7 natural)
HP 30 (4d8+12)
Fort +4, Ref +6, Will +9
Resistances: Acid(5), Cold(5), Electricity(5)
SR: 18
——————————
OFFENSE
——————————
Speed 30 ft., Climb 20 ft.
Melee bite +6 (2d6+4 plus poison)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 10 ft.
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 4; concentration +7)
8/day: Web
2/day Each: Bless

Cleric spells prepared: (CL 4, Concentration +7)
Domains: Law, Protection
2th-(DC 15) Cure Moderate Wounds, Hold Person, Calm Emotions
1th-(DC 14) Cure Light Wounds, Command, Divine Favor
0th-(DC 13) Mending, Detect Magic, Guidance, Stabilize

Special Attacks Poison (Ex) (bite-injury save DC 15, paralysis 2d6 rounds), Grab
——————————
STATISTICS
——————————
STR 18, DEX 16, CON 16, INT 14, WIS 16, CHA 14
Base Atk +3; CMB +8 (+4 Grapple); CMD 21 (+25 Disarm)
Feats: Combat Casting, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes
Skills: Acrobatics +10, Climb +11, Escape Artist +10, Knowledge (Religion) +6, Spellcraft +9, Stealth +10
Languages Common, Law, Infernal, Celestial
SQ: Spellcasting, Spell-Like Abilities
——————————
SPECIAL ABILITIES
——————————
Poison (Ex): A Ba-lah can poison those it attacks. A bite attack will inflict a poison on its victims that has a fortitude save DC of 15, paralysis 2d6 rounds. The save DC is constitution-based.
Smite Chaos (Ex): A Ba-lah can add its HD to one attack per day vs a chaotic creature.
Spellcasting: Ba-lah have access to the Law and Protection Domains as if level 4 clerics. If they continue to level in cleric, treat their effective spellcaster level in said class is treated as if they were as 5th level and above.
——————————
ECOLOGY
——————————
Environment: Mechanus
Organization: 1 Ba-lah, 1 - 3 Baraunsic Monks
CR: 5

BWR
2015-05-01, 09:49 PM
This (http://mimir.net/monsters/mechanus.shtml)should help.
Moignos were my favorite.